• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

According to Kotaku, the creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Hideaki Anno, said that the anime industry's death is "unavoidable."

Some of his quotes:

• “Japanese animation is in decline,”
  • “After it does collapse, there will probably be a new resurgence.”
  • “I don’t think animation will vanish,”
  • “but perhaps, there might not be the conditions that have existed up until now that have led to the creation of interesting films.”

What does everyone think? Does Anno have a point or is he overreacting? 

I haven't kept up with how the anime industry is fairing but it is interesting that an "insider" feels that the anime industry could have a sort of crash.

Here's the full article

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#2 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:24 PM

I agree with this statement, Anime while it may not completely die could see itself getting close to extinction. We are in a rapidly changing society, just think 15 years ago most of us still bought CD's for our music, bought DVD's for our movies, and watched all the crap that was broadcasted on TV. Now many of us use services like Spotify to get our music and don't even own any of the music, we will just stream movies we want to watch online and we spend more time watching three minute youtube videos than an hour long episode of ER.

I beleive Naruto was a classic example of the industry worried about the future, the entire thing stunk of money grabbing, they've seen the decline in the industry and wanted to milk the one profitable franchise they have glabally and forced issues that they felt the fans wanted and created unneccesary conflict to continue the franchise. They recently announced a new Dragonball series, and who knows what else they'll revive. This to me screams an industry that is lost and is looking at past successes to fill the revenue gap.

iAnby7W.gif

#3 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:40 PM

I beleive Naruto was a classic example of the industry worried about the future, the entire thing stunk of money grabbing, they've seen the decline in the industry and wanted to milk the one profitable franchise they have glabally and forced issues that they felt the fans wanted and created unneccesary conflict to continue the franchise. They recently announced a new Dragonball series, and who knows what else they'll revive. This to me screams an industry that is lost and is looking at past successes to fill the revenue gap.

You bring up a really good point with the Dragon Ball series and one that's been on my mind. Do we really need a new series? 

I watched "Battle of Gods" and it came off to me like the most money milking type of production. Sure the animation was nice, but there wasn't much else there in my view. What else is there to do in the Dragon Ball universe that hasn't already been done? We've already seen levels beyond Super Saiyan 3 in the Super Saiyan God form and Super Saiyan 4 from GT. Heck some fans even thought the Buu saga as a whole was pushing it.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#4 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:10 PM

I agree, but
I don't think anime will die. It will just stagnant and recycle every possible idea. Kind of like Hollywood.
Anime has it's own market.

#5 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:42 AM

I agree with this statement, Anime while it may not completely die could see itself getting close to extinction. We are in a rapidly changing society, just think 15 years ago most of us still bought CD's for our music, bought DVD's for our movies, and watched all the crap that was broadcasted on TV. Now many of us use services like Spotify to get our music and don't even own any of the music, we will just stream movies we want to watch online and we spend more time watching three minute youtube videos than an hour long episode of ER.

Agreed. And if that's not all, all of the biggest series are heading even closer to the endgame. You need to look no further than FT, AoT (from what I've heard) and Bleach. The only one that isn't is OP, and it's clear they're milking it for all its worth. The industry is terrified that when OP ends, the manga/anime industry will collapse, despite there being a lot of promising mangakas in the current gen like Horikoshi, Nakaba, etc.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#6 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:56 AM

I don't think it will die, anime is a very strong industry in and outside of japan 
Hideaki himself is not a person that can be trusted, he is very dodgy and has a very biased view of the anime industry 

Maybe what Hideaki means is that most of the new anime right now will basically be a copy or a remake of another one that existed in the past (basically creativity being dead), if this is the case then yeah, I can quite agree with him...

Edited by Nar123, 26 May 2015 - 03:04 AM.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#7 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:01 AM

@codus
Onepiece is not milking, that's bleach.
The only one who will terrified when op end is jump(shuseia) & toei.

@nar123
I agree.
Just like cartoon in America industry is not dead.

Edited by rocci, 26 May 2015 - 02:02 AM.

#8 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

Agreed. And if that's not all, all of the biggest series are heading even closer to the endgame. You need to look no further than FT, AoT (from what I've heard) and Bleach. The only one that isn't is OP, and it's clear they're milking it for all its worth. The industry is terrified that when OP ends, the manga/anime industry will collapse, despite there being a lot of promising mangakas in the current gen like Horikoshi, Nakaba, etc.

I wouldnt say they are "milking" OP, Oda just knows how to develop a story and not rush things.

But once OP and Bleach ends they are going to be in quite the situation I must agree.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#9 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:47 PM

I reeeeeaaallly doubt it. Considering how formulaic each arcs are, I don't have much faith in your opinion. Quite honestly, Oda could've resolved ALL of the subplots he's introduced since long ago. But instead, he just keeps dragging things out. If that's not the editorial department trying to tighten its grip on OP, then I don't know what is.

In fact, Luffy doesn't give a rat's ass about it either, why should I care about the subplot too?  

248793.jpg

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#10 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

I reeeeeaaallly doubt it. Considering how formulaic each arcs are, I don't have much faith in your opinion. Quite honestly, Oda could've resolved ALL of the subplots he's introduced since long ago. But instead, he just keeps dragging things out. If that's not the editorial department trying to tighten its grip on OP, then I don't know what is.

In fact, Luffy doesn't give a rat's ass about it either, why should I care about the subplot too?  

I don't completely agree with you on One Piece, if anything the problem with One Piece seems to be Oda has created a universe too big for him to maintain with a weekly manga, so he uses stall strategies, and takes longer to finish each arc to buy himself time to write the main plot of the manga. There probably is pressure on him to extend the manga for longer than it should I think to a point it's just the way Oda writes his manga, since the arc with Vivi, all arcs have been quite long, they haven't gotten much longer, though there is too much chaos and it's hard to keep up.

I wonder if Oda wants to take a break from the manga and sort the story out again, he's taken short breaks in the past (even took two months off once), but he probably needs even more time off to get his story in order but I doubt the editorial team would allow him any log breaks, specially now that Naruto is over.

So Oda probably has a story planned out to a certain level, but plans changes, you make amendments etc, and if he isn't allowed time off to make the amendments, he's likely stretching the story so he can take more time to plan his story out, because unlike othe manga's like Bleach and Naruto I have never felt that Oda had not planned out the start, middle and end of the manga.

iAnby7W.gif

#11 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:13 AM

I don't really think it was his plan to finish everything when he could've

EIther way I don't see how OP is being milked, unlike Naruto , who lost quality over time, OP continues steady in the writing department including with foreshadowing for larger things in the fuiture

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#12 Tiller

Tiller

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:04 AM

Most entertainment industry stuff rises and fall over time. I have no doubt that anime will decrease sometime, only to rise again later on. That's the nature of most things. If that means anime will "die" well I doubt it will outright die. Quality will fall and rise over and over again.

#13 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:32 AM

If there is a collapse, it will be brief.

There was a great video game collapse around 1983, due to games like E.T. which were terribly coded and not worth the plastic of the cartridge that housed them.   As a result, the US lost its edge in the home console video game market, and didn't come up with a real competitor to Japan again until the Xbox.  

As long as the manga industry in Japan continues to produce high quality series, then the anime industry will continue to animate them.   Same with light novels.  What seems to be becoming rarer is original anime and movies that aren't based on other things.  

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#14 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:43 AM

That's right. Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, and Escaflowne, those were the classics that made the industry what it is today. Good adaptation of manga series will keep the industry afloat, but a groundbreaking original series will revive it.

248793.jpg

#15 Pix

Pix

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Boku no Hero Academia is better than Naruto

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

Wow can't believe I just found this thread. 

Anyway, exactly what Catwho said. The anime market is going to "die" like the video game market did back in the 80's. But it's something that needs to happen in order for the entertainment industry to change. 

When the video game market crashed, it completely killed off the Atari. I think that once this happens to anime, concepts like "moe", "loli", "harem", and all the sorts that appeal ONLY to the otaku fanbase will die along with it. Essentially saying, that's the reason why the anime market has been in decline. Producers and editors have been so focused on pandering to one type of audience that they ended up excluding many others.  

I mean have you guys seen the anime line-ups for the last 5+ years? Most of the generic ones are the exact same story. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all. And it's gotten to the point where people are realizing that they're being sold the same concept over and over again.  

And lastly, Hayao Miyazaki has been saying this for years, lol. I also think the video game market is going towards another crash, but that's a different matter.  :D

Edited by Pix, 03 July 2015 - 10:12 PM.

Squad Roll call :

tumblr_ngv9unJacL1qhmbkio1_r1_500.png

#16 Toy Ninja

Toy Ninja

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Mothra, Uzumaki, UFO:1999, Free!Iwatobi Swim Club.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:27 AM

As much as i still love the original series and EOE.. this comes across as more than a little hypocritical coming from Anno. After EOE he made it very clear that not only was he done with Eva, but that he was done with anime. After well over ten years, the guy comes back from live action film to make more money, by exploiting his 90's super robot show. The new films are embarrassingly bad and its clear he doesn’t care anymore. It’s just a created-by-committee money making project for Khara. Anno is now turning out the exact sort of work he was originally distancing himself from. To paraphrase his own words: “lazy, easily-watchable brand name entertainment.”

#17 hinataiscreepy

hinataiscreepy

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

Around 10 years ago, Japan was one of the few countries that did not export their anime works... but it has changed completely now I am starting to see more and more korean names attached to anime. A lot of fans are complaining of the decline in animation because exported work tends to suggest cheaper prices and quality. The 2008 economic crisis might have something to do with it and the rise of the digital technology with free manga and anime online.

The video game industry in japan could die and move out to mobile games. The issue is that the cost of producing a game is too high and casual gamers and critics expect nothing but hollywood budget graphic and cutscenes. They can't compete with America's ability to sell their products worldwide easily. I have noticed that people are bashing the new star fox game expecting something photorealistic despite looking stylistically and artistically great.

#18 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:28 AM

You bring up a really good point with the Dragon Ball series and one that's been on my mind. Do we really need a new series? 

I watched "Battle of Gods" and it came off to me like the most money milking type of production. Sure the animation was nice, but there wasn't much else there in my view. What else is there to do in the Dragon Ball universe that hasn't already been done? We've already seen levels beyond Super Saiyan 3 in the Super Saiyan God form and Super Saiyan 4 from GT. Heck some fans even thought the Buu saga as a whole was pushing it.

I truly have a worry about the new series too. 

side rant you can choose to read or not

All that being said, I can understand Toriyama wanting (or perhaps needing) to return to his most popular work to earn a living. 

More on topic (excuse me as I write this later in the evening this may not all be as coherent as I believe it to be): 

The point of the article and his statements are confusing. In my opinion Anime is not just a cartoon that comes from Japan. It also has a cultural style to it. That's why it gets it's own sub-genre within animation. That being said, he knows his country's economy better than I so his points about studios and the amount of artists decreasing may be valid. Where I see a fuzzy line are with his statement that other countries are  starting to see an improvement in the quality of their animated features. Even if this is true, because of the cultural stylings of Anime I don't think they'll ever be able to replace anime. And if the industry as a whole dies off, which is highly unlikely, it will not be because the quality of other countries animated stories are superior.

I also don't understand what he means by Anime "peaking." Popularity? I don't think Anime will ever become less popular. It's appeal is very wide. Sales? This may be attributed to something else I'll speak about below.

Now on the subject of the Anime industry going out of business/ dying. I don't think he is correct. (Setting aside the oxymoronic nature of the Anime industry dying but animation not disappearing) as others have noted, he may not be the most objective person on the subject. We may see studios that are churning out 40 titles a year scale back to 12-15 titles due to economic reasons but I don't think there will be a decline on the scale of death/ video game collapse of 1983. 

While I love that the video game collapse of 1983 was brought up, I don't think over-saturation // overall quality is the issue. I think what will ultimately decide how the industry ends up is the double-edge sword that every entertainment industry is still trying to figure out right now: the internet.

what internet features will keep anime alive

Anime can be accessed online

Unlike video games of the 1980s there is not a finite amount of space for product. Access is not limited to which titles get put out first and how much space the stores have on their shelves. 

This allows for access to different kinds of anime. You have a lot more titles to choose from but you're also more likely to find a certain number of gems among the rough than you would have in a video game store in the 1980s.

supply and demand: there will always be a demand for it. They will never lose fans altogether and because those fans have access to an almost unlimited library they can always find a quality anime.

While over saturation is still a problem we can have with anime, because of the internet fans are able to more easily connect so good word of mouth on an anime can spread far faster. And again, studios can just scale back the number of projects.

what internet features may cause it's downfall

Piracy (there is an active debate as to whether or not this is truly destructive to any industry [most specifically film and music])

But as a result of the internet, how the industry can change access to it's product to make money (I'm not quite sure if anime pay sites like crunchy roll are as successful as hulu)

Again, if the anime industry dies it will be more because the type of access is changing/ economy no longer allows it vs quality/ over saturation reasons. 

Sorry. I'm rambling now. I am a bit tired. Those are my thoughts.

Edited by chouzu_tao, 06 July 2015 - 04:29 AM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users