They finally found it! The 'God Particle' =D

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

Three cheers for science and technology! a_spaz.gif

http://news.yahoo.co...-news-tech.html

I am so happy and excited about this! I have been watching this experiment since the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) went online in 2010 and have been fascinated with it, and looked forward to having them finally finding the 'mythical God Particle' happy.gif

Edited by Sakura Blossoms, 02 July 2012 - 11:03 PM.
updated article~

#2 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Really? That thing terrifies me, just to think on the slight possibility that this machine can create an stable black hole is umberable. I sure do hope that this risky research is worth of something.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#3 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

That's great, so it is possible for electrons to be on the present day and in the far future as well as the far past at the same time.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#4 Quinny52

Quinny52

Numquam Moribimur

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Sports, Gym, Martial Arts, Property

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Well, I can sure as hell can say the Vatican won't be too happy about this. That's one club that's gonna be losing members...
Not that I'm bothered, though. This guy sums up EXACTLY how I feel about 'all that business'.

But on a serious note, I've had a mild interest in this project as well. Lets hope this discovery goes towards finally snuffing out the remnants of that old-fashioned way of thinking, and bring on rationality.

If there's one thing I have learned In my short time on this Earth

Devotion should be owed not earned Only you determine what you're worth

Gustav Wood - Young Guns

#5 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Whatever comes to mind

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Quinny52 @ Jul 2 2012, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets hope this discovery goes towards finally snuffing out the remnants of that old-fashioned way of thinking, and bring on rationality.

doubtful but a nice hope anyway. The more that is explained the more they resist the explanation, just look what is happening on some of the school boards in the US. It is really scary to me that the elected politicians really want to kill any hope of the American economy recovering by destroying the scientific community there.

North Carolina Scientists can't use the term Sea level Rise but must use recurrent flooding... it is a joke

Yotsubato! - Enjoy Everything!

#6 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Interesting.. That's really all I can say.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#7 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ Jul 2 2012, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? That thing terrifies me, just to think on the slight possibility that this machine can create an stable black hole is umberable. I sure do hope that this risky research is worth of something.

No worries. It was proven a while back that we can't create black holes that could 'destroy the world'. And in fact, if they ever did manage to create one it would be so microscopic, it would literally collapse in on itself and decay within the same micro-second it was created smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia....Hadron_Collider

#8 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

I have a fascination with news that actually relate to things I learned at school. I remember learning about the Higgs boson in physics last year, so it's very interesting for me. Science is a profound and scary field xD

#9 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (Verilance @ Jul 2 2012, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
North Carolina Scientists can't use the term Sea level Rise but must use recurrent flooding... it is a joke

I apologize for the whole state. All of it. And Jesse Helms too. Sorry 'bout that.

(If it helps, I'm originally from FL. *ahem* But I've also lived in AZ. And Capitol Hill, DC. ... My track record for political idiocracy is getting worse, isn't it? I'll just stop there....)

#10 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Great. One step closer to Mass Relays and Mass Effect drives.

QUOTE (Quinny52 @ Jul 2 2012, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But on a serious note, I've had a mild interest in this project as well. Lets hope this discovery goes towards finally snuffing out the remnants of that old-fashioned way of thinking, and bring on rationality.

Impossible. As long as people have different views there will always be different forms of "rationality." I also think rationality is a pure subjective term and even the most rational man can behave in an irrational way. The most rational way of thinking is to accept all views as equal.

Besides, from the way I see it science only really explains how and never does it really answer the most important question..."why?"
My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#11 The Tax-Man

The Tax-Man

Sapien Chronologia

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Meh. It doesn't have a big effect on much of anything. Physics for the past few decades has always assumed it exists, so it just gets rid of doubt and confuses the already confused standard model a tiny bit more.

@James
LOL YES.

Edited by The Tax-Man, 08 July 2012 - 06:33 PM.

naruto.gif

1. "This is worthless NONSENSE."
2. "This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view..."
3. "True, but quite unimportant."
4. "I ALWAYS SAID SO!"

#12 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (The Tax-Man @ Jul 8 2012, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh. It doesn't have a big effect on much of anything. Physics for the past few decades has always assumed it exists, so it just gets rid of doubt and confuses the already confused standard model a tiny bit more.

Wow. What a completely negative view on one of the biggest discoveries of the last century. How about doing some more research to see just how much 'effect' this discovery will have on future science, technology, and yes even how we regular folks interact with the world. Knowledge is Power. That's how we've gotten to the point we're at now, able to even have this conversation when probably thousands of miles apart.

What Higgs Boson means for us

#13 The Tax-Man

The Tax-Man

Sapien Chronologia

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jul 8 2012, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow. What a completely negative view on one of the biggest discoveries of the last century. How about doing some more research to see just how much 'effect' this discovery will have on future science, technology, and yes even how we regular folks interact with the world. Knowledge is Power. That's how we've gotten to the point we're at now, able to even have this conversation when probably thousands of miles apart.

What Higgs Boson means for us

You don't get my point. I'm saying that the confirmation of what everyone assumed anyway isn't as big a discovery as something completely new. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. This discovery does nothing. The same obstacles that stopped us last year exist today. The expected discovery of the Higgs Boson will (immediately) only serve to remind governments that they didn't waste money and to shut critics up. For the theoretical physicists that always went as if it always existed (most of them), not very much changes. Now, I realize how much it may mean for people that will finally get proper funding and attention. BUT that's for hype and politics (not directly science), hence my statement.

The article you posted shows an idealized version of science that only exists to make the common man/woman care more. The only 'great' thing that COULD happen is that the current theories are proven wrong with the behaviour of the Higgs. THAT would be something that requires a revolution. Physics would be kicked in the gut if that happened and it would lead to something new. If it all goes as expected (as it just did), nothing in the theory changes and we discover nothing.

In other words, the discovery of the Higgs Boson itself is but a mere stepping stone to its study (which will require bigger machines and more money, if the pattern holds). This announcement doesn't make discovery any easier. It's like saying science leads to knowledge. That's the POINT. It WILL lead to us understanding bigger things or make us start over, but so will everything else we have and will continue to study. My original post may have made it seem like I didn't care. But I do. It's just that I feel the same about this as I have of every big discovery/confirmation in my lifetime.

Edited by The Tax-Man, 08 July 2012 - 07:56 PM.

naruto.gif

1. "This is worthless NONSENSE."
2. "This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view..."
3. "True, but quite unimportant."
4. "I ALWAYS SAID SO!"

#14 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jul 8 2012, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's definitely a huge deal if this turns out to be the actual Higgs Boson (last I checked, results were still pending, although properties seems to be consistent), and it's definitely a step in the right direction in understanding the way our universe works. Like Tax-Man said though, physicists have assumed its existence for decades now, so it's essentially a confirmation of a pre-existing assumption.

It doesn't diminish its significance by any means, but I don't foresee the ramifications of this confirmation being as earth-shaking as the media will probably make it out to be. Heck, a lot of us in the science field find the media hyperbole surrounding the boson a little ridiculous. I suppose labelling it the "God Particle" was a good way to generate interest though.

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Jul 3 2012, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Besides, from the way I see it science only really explains how and never does it really answer the most important question..."why?"

QFT. I've never understood how so many seem to see science and religion as two entirely opposing viewpoints. I mean, the originator of the Big Bang Theory was actually a Roman Catholic priest for crying out loud.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 08 July 2012 - 08:12 PM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#15 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

For those of you that don't understand, here is an educational video about the Higgs Boson

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#16 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

100% confirmed now...

http://news.yahoo.co...-130317830.html

Odds are good these guys are going to win the Nobels next year, along with Higgs himself.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#17 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Mar 14 2013, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
100% confirmed now...

http://news.yahoo.co...-130317830.html

Odds are good these guys are going to win the Nobels next year, along with Higgs himself.

that feel when you're born too late from the age of discoveries and too early to participate on the age of space exploration sad.gif
SK-303_image007.jpg

#18 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Oh good, I guess I can give them some praise as long as they don't implode the planet.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#19 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Kind of late, but here are some of our lads discussing the creation of the Large Hadron Collider, also aptly named "The Black Hole Machine".

Kind of NSFW; we Brits don't have censorship at this time-slot, but it's still funny (like, only two curses or something).
Frankie says "kitten" at 1:14 --Click here to view--

#20 K9ofChaos

K9ofChaos

f**k the establishment! I'm a bunny!

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (Dαrkrєrsŧ @ Mar 14 2013, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that feel when you're born too late from the age of discoveries and too early to participate on the age of space exploration sad.gif

I know how much that sucks. dry.gif

Which is why I at the very least hope that an alien species comes for a visit within my lifetime. Maybe then Humanity can do some reverse engineering or work with the aliens to create FTL drives depending on how they get here if they get here at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users