2508 replies to this topic

#1761 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

At several points in my... dear God, over fifteen years, now, of fanficing, I've run into the "AU is too broad of a description" problem too many times. AU can mean anything from (my favorite example is from Inu Yasha, and this was an actual summary description, so bear with me) "Inu Yasha is a rock star; Kagome is one of his groupies. What happens when they meet?" to "Everything in Part 1 and the first few chapters of part 2 are canon; just splitting from (insert chapter number here)." The former is godawful; the later is pretty much all you can do with the manga at this point. So pretty much any Naruto fic that isn't a vignette will be AU, to some extent, since the manga isn't finished yet.

At one point, on the old FanFiction Mailing List (a listserv for anime fanfiction I was active on -- moderator of, in fact, for about a year -- from the mid-nineties until about 2004ish, when the then-owner of the FFML server farm passed away, and the server was disabled without anyone to pay the internet service fees; I believe it still continues in some form, somewhere, but I haven't been a part of it since), we had a discussion of various different types of AU, and whether these would be "better" descriptors for indicating what type of a fic it is:

"Divergence" (everything is canon up to a certain point, after which it's anything goes)

"Butterfly Effect" (known on the TVTropes as "For Want of a Nail" type fics) -- one minor change is made to the story early on, and the consequences of that change. (a Naruto fic I was working on, but scrapped and cannibalized for other things, would have been "what if Kakashi had injured his leg and couldn't give Team Seven the Bell Test in part one?" Although my "nail\butterfly wing flap" was actually earlier, effecting Tenten (who, in turn, accidentally caused the injury to Kakashi)

"Gender-bending" (a partial or complete retelling of the story based on the principle that one or more major characters in the series took on the opposite gender and, hence, opposite gender roles)

"Fusion" (generally associated with Crossovers, the term was (from what I heard) coined because it fused elements of crossover with elements of AU. Fusion is where the characters from one series are placed into another series (or a real life event) replacing the roles of the other characters; while this if often attempted, it is rarely done WELL, and the only way it can be done well is if the characters are all completely in character. Related is the Crossfusion, which I've only seen done once with any degree of quality (A Faint Hope, by Lara Bartram et al, which was a crossfusion of Ranma and Star Wars), where the characters from one series appear to take on the roles of the characters from another series in that other series universe, but the original characters are in fact there, fulfilling canon of that universe, and the "heroes" of the new series -- while still largely (or completely) in character for their own -- are having their own adventure parallel to that actual universe heroes, only occasionally running into the original universe heroes during "off camera" moments (often explaining things like "Why did Obi-wan just sacrifice himself like that?" Answer: He was running away from back alimony payments owed to his ex-wife, Nodoka Kenobi, who he just happened to spot out of the corner of his eye during his fight with Vader). Complicated, I know, but when it works right it is absolutely brilliant... and hilarious, because you have to do this kind of thing as a comedy)

"Elseworld" (this is the "Inu Yusha is a Rock Star, Kagome is his groupie" type mentioned above; the subset of "High School Fics" fits largely in this catagory. The name given comes from comic books and is often used as a synonym to AU, but when we were discussing this it seemed appropriate. It CAN be done well, though no specific examples come to mind, but usually isn't)

Edited by desaix, 09 April 2012 - 04:14 PM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#1762 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Strength Of Two Hearts has been updated with chapter nine: http://www.fanfictio...h_Of_Two_Hearts

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#1763 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

I found a GREAT AU fic:

One More Time

Premise: Naruto and Sakura were on their death bed after living a long life together. However, as soon as they closed their eyes for the last time they were somehow transported to the past when they were 13 years old. Naruto is on the 3 year training trip with Jiraiya and Sakura is the student of Tsunade. Since the two of them had plenty of experience both of them decided to use that to become strong enough to compete with the best shinobi of their world in three years. Watch as fights to save the world occur, as prophecies are upturned and the shinobi nations are ushered in a new era.

Edited by JoHamSandwich, 10 April 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#1764 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Here's an update from my NS fic called Rokudaime Chronicles: New Era Chapter 5: Genin Exams

Rated : T

Summary: AU: Naruto's parents are alive after the Kyuubi invasion, but they were exiled from Konoha. Danzo is elected to become the Godaime Hokage. During his reign, he has thrown the world into chaos. It will be up to Akatsuki to put an end to his tyranny.

Edited by Konoha'sCrimsonFox, 12 April 2012 - 06:22 PM.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

#1765 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

Strength Of Two Hearts has been updated with chapter ten: http://www.fanfictio...h_Of_Two_Hearts

"They don't want none"

#1766 Akanuma

Akanuma

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Henka no Kaze got its 6th (technically 5th) chapter: http://www.fanfictio...6/Henka_no_Kaze

#1767 NaruDeeds

NaruDeeds

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:25 AM

So a year's worth of scribbling = pretty lengthy one shot. "The Love Potion" is up at ffnet. Warning: it was a 44 page document in Word, so it might take a few to get through. happy.gif

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8047670/1/

#1768 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Strength Of Two Hearts has been updated with chapter eleven: http://www.fanfictio...h_Of_Two_Hearts

"They don't want none"

#1769 Turson

Turson

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Make Believe has been uptadet with chapter 19 -> http://www.fanfictio...19/Make_Believe

Edited by Turson, 27 April 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#1770 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

Loving hockey games and Hard Rock Music

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Interests:Reading forums, and listening to hard rock/alt rock music.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Well, after looking through the search engines, just to look for new interesting NS fics, I manage to find a one-shot called Memories of a Swing.

I think it utilizes certain sayings, context, and generalizations from the manga and portray both characters, as well as it can be and that's all what I always look for in a good fic.

Edited by Anguyen92, 29 April 2012 - 06:21 AM.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#1771 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:lol git

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

anyone have anything more to post? Konohakit, what happened to your fic? Its been 2 months. Kinda cruel to keep a reader in suspense for that long. T-T

#1772 NaruDeeds

NaruDeeds

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

A fairly lengthy chapter 17 of Guardian is up. I believe that counts as "new." http://www.fanfictio...t/s/6603405/17/

#1773 Hak

Hak

Turmion kätilö

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Wirhout Sasuke has been updated with chapter 35.
Trust me, I'm an engineer!

#1774 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Strength Of Two Hearts has been updated with chapter twelve: http://www.fanfictio...h_Of_Two_Hearts

"They don't want none"

#1775 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Just posted A Single Step, Chapter 2 - Lost

#1776 Don-kun

Don-kun

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Interests:Music, Electronics, Driving car, Traveling and NaruSaku.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:41 AM

Just posted Say I love you - Lost

This user created a very nice story. 6 chapters ongoing story. By dwranik

Jinchuurikis Pain 15 chapters ongoing story. By Gunato the Great

Edited by donjoseph19, 09 May 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#1777 Chew

Chew

^ NaLu meine lub #ever1curr

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:omgawrsh y u do dis, Y U READING

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Here's an interesting story- it's called 'An Assassin's Mistake'. Read the synopsis to find out more- I find it rather interesting smile.gif

http://www.fanfictio...sassins_Mistake
OTP and my Bby

#1778 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Chew @ May 8 2012, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's an interesting story- it's called 'An Assassin's Mistake'. Read the synopsis to find out more- I find it rather interesting smile.gif

http://www.fanfictio...sassins_Mistake

Not bad left my review.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#1779 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Dragunov @ Apr 30 2012, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anyone have anything more to post? Konohakit, what happened to your fic? Its been 2 months. Kinda cruel to keep a reader in suspense for that long. T-T

This goes out especially for you Dragunov, sorry for the wait ^^;

Here's chapter 22 http://www.fanfictio...else_to_Protect

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#1780 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ May 8 2012, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nicely done, Sakura's reactions come across as quite believable.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users