Naruto Shippuden to Stream Free Online

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#21 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:28 AM

*Blinks at the uber post* o.o

How did you ever find out all of this information? O.o

And thank you for the very detailed answer. Now I know what happened happy.gif

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Nov 20 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, since you asked. happy.gif

First, let's begin with the switch to Saturdays. The reason that was done was because parents complained about Toonami's shows being too violent, primarily Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho. This gave Cartoon Network the idea of marketing Toonami primarily to preteens (which I think everyone was under the impression it was for to begin with), and thought Saturday would be the ideal time to air their shows. I suppose the theory was that since teens have homework to do immediately, or have extracurricular activities during weekday afternoons that it would be wiser to move it to Saturday night. However, Saturdays are generally a deadzone for most tv shows. Some shows were cancelled due to ratings, others due to not reaching the target demographic. Gundam Seed did not do as terrible as many think, but Toonami aimed to attract mostly pre-teens and children. Gundam Seed only did well with a teenage/adult audience, and so it was removed. It was a similar case with Yu Yu Hakusho: it did okay with children, but it TIED with DragonBallGT in the pre-teen and teen demographics. You have any idea how many kids in that category watched GT? LOTS. You'd think they would treat it well, but no. Because it showed its age, Toonami was worried that it would soon be a detriment and banished it to 5 am.

However, some of their shows did quite well. Naruto in particular was a surprise hit, as evidenced by it's early days, like the Naruto New Year's Eve and Naruto Hundo. It really did bring in the dough. It was certainly a hit with the kids; I saw a girl in my old kung-fu school come in wearing one of the headbands (just to clarify, she seemed between 9-12). While at first it seemed Naruto was Toonami's savior, in many ways it was also it's downfall. Naruto attracted huge amounts of children as well as teens, and that's when Toonami began to air programs aimed mostly at younger children, which probably in turn killed its core demographic.

Around 2007, after the mooninite incident in Boston, I believe the head of CN stepped down, and someone new came in (don't have the names, sorry) and that's particularly where I think things went bad. It's my understanding that the new head wants CN to become something akin to Disney, hence why we've suddenly got a bunch of live action programs on CN. Inside Jimmy's head comes to mind. It was advertised and promoted ten times as Naruto was, but it turned out kids wanted to see a ninja with ADD instead. Not taking the hint, they kept going down that path, and to some extent they suceeded, and rumor has it they don't want any anime on their program. Again, I don't think it has much to do with personal taste and possible racism; they're trying to model their channel after disney and nicklelodean, which focus on comedy and live action mostly. I think it was the point when Naruto reached the fillers were their plans really started to suceed.

Adult Swim seems to be having the same problems. Anime was taken off the weekday schedules, although there did seem to be some legitmacy for that. While the anime block never did nearly as good as the Futurama marathons, for a Saturday line-up it was holding up quite well, consistently beating Spike TV in the ratings. However, demographics came into play again: Adult Swim aims to attract adults, but it was mostly kids between 12 and 19 years of age who watched anime on their block. Adult Swim consistently tried to put some of their originals on the block in an attempt to increase ratings, but their own work actually seemed to do worse on Saturday then it did elsewhere. I see even more evidence that the current directors don't want anime on that show either: Code Geass was supposed to be the highest rated show in the block when it aired (it didn't come close to Cowboy Bebop or InuYasha, but better than everything else it had), yet they still bumped it down to 5 am.

Overall, I think it's a mix between demographic changes and Cartoon Network's desire to become something else entirely. I think this is just a phase Anime in America is undergoing right now; I'm sure one of the companies will find a way to turn it all around, but they need to find a way to attract new fans. That's what I think really killed Toonami and Adult Swim Action in the end: They keep relying on the old fans they had before, but fail to attract new ones.

I don't really need Naruto or any other anime on Cartoon Network; I'll gladly take it on any other network, provided it's at a reasonable time.

Hope that gives you some sense of what's going on.

Most dubs cannot match their dubs and subtitled versions perfectly. If they had to make a 90% accurate translation, there's a good chance of either finishing a sentance before the character's mouth stops moving, or even after they stopped talking. It's all about finding dialouge to match the mouth flaps. It's perfectly fine, so long as the same message is communicated. Just watch an old dub of a Godzilla movie and you'll see what I mean.

#22 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:15 AM

How did you ever find out all of this information? O.o

Toonzone was one of my main sources, and there was a toonami fansite that also provided information on what was going on; google it and you should find it. I take more free time than I probably should.

#23 Kag19

Kag19

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:I have a degree in Film and TV and am working on obtaining a masters degree in screen writing. I spend most of my time reviewing scripts at work and at home. Yup, I'm the lucky person who gets to sort through all the submitted screenplays and ends up reading them and providing script coverage to the producers. I enjoy working in development but I hope one day to branch out and work in other areas of production. For example, post production, I love to edit films and I wouldn't mind working on set either. My ultimate goal is to one day become a producer/writer.

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:19 AM

happy.gif I found this trailer for the new Shippuden English dub. Hm, the only awkward thing is that Naruto's voice still sounds childish.

http://animerevoluti...b58013f1af3.htm

Edited by Kag19, 22 November 2008 - 03:21 AM.

Naruto Live action is here

#24 Daniee

Daniee

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

Well, Dattebayo has announced their plans regarding this.

http://www.dattebayo.com/pr/100

I don't blame them.

#25 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (Daniee @ Nov 22 2008, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, Dattebayo has announced their plans regarding this.

http://www.dattebayo.com/pr/100

I don't blame them.

Awww, that's so sad, but I understand why they have to do it sad.gif

#26 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

I think it's amazing news that Naruto.com is going to offer subbed Shippuden episodes for free. As long as the translation quality is up to snuff, I'm interested in checking them out. happy.gif

It's a pity that anime is suffering because TV execs don't seem to know what to do with it. Like the US, the UK also had a dedicated anime channel that aired things like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. But those things come and go so quickly. Maybe it's partly due to the internet? After all, anime fans can easily and quickly read/watch the series they want online, and buy the DVDs/books if they like them. After all, why would I start poring over the TV listings for that elusive anime show when I can quickly and easily find out about it online?

#27 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (Kag19 @ Nov 22 2008, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
happy.gif I found this trailer for the new Shippuden English dub. Hm, the only awkward thing is that Naruto's voice still sounds childish.

They did a good job of matching up the voices from the Japanese seiyus, but I'm still nostalgic for the undubbed episodes. I'll probably stick to the subs. Maybe I've been thriving on them for too long happy.gif

#28 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:50 AM

It's going to suck not being able to get them in high quality. We'll have to wait for the DVD release for it.

Unless they plan on a download version with commercials embedded in.

#29 Kirby

Kirby

Kirby ain't hungry right now.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Manga, TV, Reading, Tromboning, Kirby (their vaccuum cleaners are AWESOME &lt;3

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

I don't watch Shippuden anyways (might start watching this). At least now, I know how to spell "Shippuden"
. Don't Press the red button

#30 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Kag19 @ Nov 21 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And yet his voice from what I saw there seems (nearly) the exact same.
I think I'll stick to the manga, I don't need animation.

#31 NutMan

NutMan

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

Im a bit disappointed that the voice sounds nearly the same...Ah well hopefully it'll change after a few episodes. GO back and watch some clips from the first 10 or 15 episodes of the english dub. it sounded a lot worse and it got better once the voice actor got used to the role.

#32 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

Every show I watch does that oddly.
And I can't see his voice getting deeper, just can't.

#33 narusakuluv

narusakuluv

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

Agreed. Maile Flanigan truly is a talented voice actor (god knows I couldn't do that with my voice), but it's one thing for a woman to voice a twelve year, shrimpy boy and quite another for that same woman to voice a larger teenager. And I've always found the Naruto english voice to be awkward and un-Narutoish.
Avatar from the amazing Natsumi's The Uneasy Question Sequel

#34 StrawberryAcappella

StrawberryAcappella

If you can’t convince them, confuse them

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:A lot of fandom shiznit. I literally just read fanfiction and search the internet for fandom related things all day, even at school on my phone. My current love is Sherlock, but my long time love is Naruto. When im not doing what im supposed to im also practicing something musical~ because the classical variety of music making is tiresome...

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:40 AM

OKAY!get this!im at the website as we speak, and all the trailers are in english. But they even have some episodes up!AND there in japanese!!!!!
All I got to say is. . .WHAT THE kitten!!!!!!D:< I thought it was dubbed!
My Awesome Birthday Banner My friend Made me!!!!

#35 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (StrawberryAcappella @ Jan 3 2009, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OKAY!get this!im at the website as we speak, and all the trailers are in english. But they even have some episodes up!AND there in japanese!!!!!

well on the 15th they are supoce to be the new episode from Japan, so I think the trailers are to tempt you to buy the english dubb dvds or something
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#36 Kirby

Kirby

Kirby ain't hungry right now.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Manga, TV, Reading, Tromboning, Kirby (their vaccuum cleaners are AWESOME &lt;3

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

Wow...Naruto's Shippuden voice sucks. It sounds so childish. IMO, its worse than it was before -.-
. Don't Press the red button

#37 Daniee

Daniee

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

Here's the page for everyone. biggrin.gif

http://www.hulu.com/naruto-shippuden

I love the trailers they put up, and Naruto's line in his: "How can I be Hokage...if I can't even save one friend?" Maile Flanagan has gotten much better since the beginning.

#38 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE (StrawberryAcappella @ Jan 3 2009, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I said the same thing. Why are the trailers have English voiceovers, while the episodes are in original Japanese voiceovers with subbed? I want to hear the actual DUB voices and makes me say either 1) Naruto Shippuden is coming on TV in dub or 2) they stop airing the series and makes me wanna buy the DVDs which won't come out until the beginning of 2010. DX

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#39 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:32 AM

Talk about false advertisement.

uc.png

#40 Shadow-kun

Shadow-kun

Sage Wolf

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (Daniee @ Jan 3 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the page for everyone. biggrin.gif

http://www.hulu.com/naruto-shippuden

The subs from VIZ on that link can only be viewed from the US. sad.gif Oh well! At least I can still stream the episodes on crunchyroll! happy.gif

Visit my cute Dragons!

Spreading the Horoism!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users