• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Anime/manga, Music, Books, Animals (veterinary medicine), Scuba Diving

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

Official Naruto Site

QUOTE (IGN)
Beginning on January 15th the latest episode of the Naruto Shippuden (English-subtitled) series will be available for free viewing on the official Naruto website, Naruto.com, within days of its original airdate in Japan. A new, English-subtitled episode will be added every Thursday thereafter.

If you've missed earlier episodes of Shippuden, don't worry. On January 2nd, the site will add 8 uncut, English-subtitled episodes from the beginning of Shippuden. Eight additional uncut episodes will be added every Friday after that until the series eventually catches up to the current third season.

Wonder what the quality will be (and how many ads they'll interrupt the stream with)?

#2 KungFuTruffle

KungFuTruffle

Whee!

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Reading<br />Video Games

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

That's kind of cool, actually. I might check out some of them to see how they stack up to Fansubs, once they're released. An official translation of certain scenes will be nice to see, as well.

#3 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

I just watched their trailer for this 'Shippuden' thing. Naruto's voice is nothing new.

(Note: They dubbed it in English.)

#4 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:23 AM

So will this be dubbed, subbed, or both? Is this where the official Shippuden Dub will be aired, since Cartoon Network killed off Toonami?

#5 Kirby

Kirby

Kirby ain't hungry right now.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Manga, TV, Reading, Tromboning, Kirby (their vaccuum cleaners are AWESOME &lt;3

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:44 AM

Yeah, we all love Canada

Naruto.com will be streaming episodes of Naruto Shippuden starting JANUARY 2nd

Read this article for more info

FINALLY
. Don't Press the red button

#6 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:37 AM

Well this more or less confirms that Naruto Shippuden wont be airing on CN.

uc.png

#7 KittenLou

KittenLou

I'm a kitty NOM:3

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Just recently, I've become rather engrossed in the history and various concepts British Literature offers from the Romantic period, but that could just be because of my professor lol. Of course anime and manga are a given. =) And shows dealing with &quot;otherworldly&quot; things, like Supernatural and Ghost Hunters and, uh...

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:00 AM

*gigglesnort*

Omg... It's going to sound so incredibly awkward again because the characters are older and the VAs have to lower their voices a bit to make the characters sound matured. I'm pretty sure I'm going to an epic time trying not to laugh when the shows air.

also known as Crackers

#8 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Nov 18 2008, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So will this be dubbed, subbed, or both? Is this where the official Shippuden Dub will be aired, since Cartoon Network killed off Toonami?

looks like these are sub-only

though Sasuke's Dub VA Yuri Lowenthal said recently that theyve begun dubbing shippuden, but he doesnt know when the dub will air (if it even gets to air)

#9 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (Kitten @ Nov 19 2008, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*gigglesnort*

Omg... It's going to sound so incredibly awkward again because the characters are older and the VAs have to lower their voices a bit to make the characters sound matured. I'm pretty sure I'm going to an epic time trying not to laugh when the shows air.

I know right?

uc.png

#10 Daniee

Daniee

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:50 PM

Heh...pretty funny that they're starting this when the original show hasn't finished it's run. =P
I'm a little surprised that they didn't translate "Shippuden" as well.
QUOTE (UzumakiEdward85 @ Nov 18 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well this more or less confirms that Naruto Shippuden wont be airing on CN.

I wouldn't say that just yet. It's been confirmed that they're dubbing it, and I don't think they would if they weren't sure that CN would air it. Could be just for DVD releases...though that would seem awfully soon. Well, we'll see. I sure hope that they air it; people don't want to watch stuff on their computer. (At least I sure as hell don't)

#11 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Daniee @ Nov 19 2008, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't say that just yet. It's been confirmed that they're dubbing it, and I don't think they would if they weren't sure that CN would air it. Could be just for DVD releases...though that would seem awfully soon. Well, we'll see. I sure hope that they air it; people don't want to watch stuff on their computer. (At least I sure as hell don't)

That's what I'm thinking. Why waste all the time and money to dub it, if you aren't going to air it on television, and make the money back through commercials, exposure so kids can gasm over the series and buy more merchandise, and through contract.

#12 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

Naruto's voice is basically his regular voice, only lowered in anger.

xD

#13 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Daniee @ Nov 19 2008, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair enough.

uc.png

#14 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

By the sounds of the article and being it will be starting on a Thursday and new episodes on Thursdays. It is an attempt by Viz Media and TV Tokyo to curb illegal fan subbing. I wonder how the translation will be compared to the various Fan subbing projects.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#15 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Nov 19 2008, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the sounds of the article and being it will be starting on a Thursday and new episodes on Thursdays. It is an attempt by Viz Media and TV Tokyo to curb illegal fan subbing. I wonder how the translation will be compared to the various Fan subbing projects.

That's what I was thinking about as well for the move. I know Viz are working on Shippuuden and I hope CN will aired it since one of the popular anime besides Bleach, Death Note and others from Adult Swim. This move looks like they trying to get rid of Dattebayo and other fan subbers.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#16 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (Derock @ Nov 19 2008, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This move looks like they trying to get rid of Dattebayo and other fan subbers.

and they failed miserably. This only encourages more subbing, in my opinion.

#17 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:21 AM

The fact is anime from both sides of the world is undergoing a serious crisis. Believe it or not, more anime is sold in the west than the east, but because less anime is aired on television, plus the fact that other television series sell their series in boxsets, the producers make less money per episode. Add to that the cost of dubbing and other things, and you'll begin to wonder why we even bother to import these series. I don't think this is really due to fansubbing (though I'm sure it is a factor), but due to the fact that we import too many without knowing what we're buying, and only a select few of those titles do well in America. I think legal streaming is a great way to get the people who really want to see the series to watch it. Sure, there will be adds, but how is that different from normal television? Besides, if they don't get any money, what's the point of bringing it over, or as far as Japan goes, to make them?

As for DVD releases, Shippuden will come to DVD, and dubbed. As stated, they've already started, and even in the begining Viz dubbed their work. I don't see why they would change at this point, and Naruto was already one of their more popular series, so they should get enough revenue to pay for an english voice cast. Most people I know, while will watch a sub if no other option available and are happy to see a show they love either way, prefer it when companies dub their products; that way, we can actually enjoy it, and for every bad english voice, there's another that sounds great. As for Cartoon Network, so far it has been stated that they will air Shippuden, the question now is if they intend to finish it and air the episodes at a reasonable time. CN's treatment of anime has nearly hit rock bottom, and not all of it had to do with ratings, but that's a topic for another day.

Right now, I implore fans to watch the legal subs; it's the exact same show, and just because Naruto doesn't say kitten doesn't mean they butchered the show (in fact, I'd say it's the fansubbers who did), and you can wait two months for them to catch up to where Japan is.

#18 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

I'd rather watch an official sub than a fansub, when available. Not a slight against fansubbers in any way, I appreciate what they do.

But it just... I dunno... feels better when I know I'm listening to a dub (ugh) or reading subtitles from the 'official' source.

My only complaint with Viz and what they did with the first few Naruto box sets... the dubs dont match up with the english subtitles. Wtf? Seriously.

#19 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Nov 20 2008, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CN's treatment of anime has nearly hit rock bottom, and not all of it had to do with ratings, but that's a topic for another day.

I'm actually really interested in that topic, because I just can not understand why CN from the days they took Toonami from weekdays and stuck it on Saturdays only, to the point of canceling Toonami outright, have been treating what I thought was a popular franchise so horribly.

#20 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Nov 20 2008, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm actually really interested in that topic, because I just can not understand why CN from the days they took Toonami from weekdays and stuck it on Saturdays only, to the point of canceling Toonami outright, have been treating what I thought was a popular franchise so horribly.

Well, since you asked. happy.gif

First, let's begin with the switch to Saturdays. The reason that was done was because parents complained about Toonami's shows being too violent, primarily Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho. This gave Cartoon Network the idea of marketing Toonami primarily to preteens (which I think everyone was under the impression it was for to begin with), and thought Saturday would be the ideal time to air their shows. I suppose the theory was that since teens have homework to do immediately, or have extracurricular activities during weekday afternoons that it would be wiser to move it to Saturday night. However, Saturdays are generally a deadzone for most tv shows. Some shows were cancelled due to ratings, others due to not reaching the target demographic. Gundam Seed did not do as terrible as many think, but Toonami aimed to attract mostly pre-teens and children. Gundam Seed only did well with a teenage/adult audience, and so it was removed. It was a similar case with Yu Yu Hakusho: it did okay with children, but it TIED with DragonBallGT in the pre-teen and teen demographics. You have any idea how many kids in that category watched GT? LOTS. You'd think they would treat it well, but no. Because it showed its age, Toonami was worried that it would soon be a detriment and banished it to 5 am.

However, some of their shows did quite well. Naruto in particular was a surprise hit, as evidenced by it's early days, like the Naruto New Year's Eve and Naruto Hundo. It really did bring in the dough. It was certainly a hit with the kids; I saw a girl in my old kung-fu school come in wearing one of the headbands (just to clarify, she seemed between 9-12). While at first it seemed Naruto was Toonami's savior, in many ways it was also it's downfall. Naruto attracted huge amounts of children as well as teens, and that's when Toonami began to air programs aimed mostly at younger children, which probably in turn killed its core demographic.

Around 2007, after the mooninite incident in Boston, I believe the head of CN stepped down, and someone new came in (don't have the names, sorry) and that's particularly where I think things went bad. It's my understanding that the new head wants CN to become something akin to Disney, hence why we've suddenly got a bunch of live action programs on CN. Inside Jimmy's head comes to mind. It was advertised and promoted ten times as Naruto was, but it turned out kids wanted to see a ninja with ADD instead. Not taking the hint, they kept going down that path, and to some extent they suceeded, and rumor has it they don't want any anime on their program. Again, I don't think it has much to do with personal taste and possible racism; they're trying to model their channel after disney and nicklelodean, which focus on comedy and live action mostly. I think it was the point when Naruto reached the fillers were their plans really started to suceed.

Adult Swim seems to be having the same problems. Anime was taken off the weekday schedules, although there did seem to be some legitmacy for that. While the anime block never did nearly as good as the Futurama marathons, for a Saturday line-up it was holding up quite well, consistently beating Spike TV in the ratings. However, demographics came into play again: Adult Swim aims to attract adults, but it was mostly kids between 12 and 19 years of age who watched anime on their block. Adult Swim consistently tried to put some of their originals on the block in an attempt to increase ratings, but their own work actually seemed to do worse on Saturday then it did elsewhere. I see even more evidence that the current directors don't want anime on that show either: Code Geass was supposed to be the highest rated show in the block when it aired (it didn't come close to Cowboy Bebop or InuYasha, but better than everything else it had), yet they still bumped it down to 5 am.

Overall, I think it's a mix between demographic changes and Cartoon Network's desire to become something else entirely. I think this is just a phase Anime in America is undergoing right now; I'm sure one of the companies will find a way to turn it all around, but they need to find a way to attract new fans. That's what I think really killed Toonami and Adult Swim Action in the end: They keep relying on the old fans they had before, but fail to attract new ones.

I don't really need Naruto or any other anime on Cartoon Network; I'll gladly take it on any other network, provided it's at a reasonable time.

Hope that gives you some sense of what's going on.

My only complaint with Viz and what they did with the first few Naruto box sets... the dubs dont match up with the english subtitles. Wtf? Seriously

Most dubs cannot match their dubs and subtitled versions perfectly. If they had to make a 90% accurate translation, there's a good chance of either finishing a sentance before the character's mouth stops moving, or even after they stopped talking. It's all about finding dialouge to match the mouth flaps. It's perfectly fine, so long as the same message is communicated. Just watch an old dub of a Godzilla movie and you'll see what I mean.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users