5 replies to this topic

#1 Destiny

Destiny

Queen of the hard hitters!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

So I'm one hundred percent in a rut. All I want to do is write, but everything I write sounds blah, and bland, and already done. It's like there's a creative block and I don't know what to do.

I've tried to do my usual 'get out of my rut' stuff like listening to music, running, reading other fics, reading books, and the words still won't come out the way I want them to. Any suggestions?

PS Sorry if there's a topic already made for this, not going to lie, looked through the first page topics and didn't see it so I posted this.

Love is everything.

#2 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:20 AM

Ah, that sucks. I was in one such rut for ages, practically a year or two (caused by school and inability to think after thinking too much). Everyone deals with writer's block differently. I just waited it out, but sometimes I'd get random spurts of inspiration and that helped keep me going. It's probably just me, but I find that thinking in the shower is strangely helpful.

Some people get out of writer's block by writing whatever is on their mind, without caring about quality. A good way to do this is having a look at prompts and writing something based on it. You could try out H&E's very own holiday prompts in the Challenges section. You could also grab some prompts from fanfic100. Just write for yourself and get the words down.

When I'm just in a literal writer's block, unable to put pen to paper, I like to plan ahead and outline how the future chapters are going to go, just to jog my creative juices. Anything goes, really. There is no absolute method. Try everything! Hope you find your cure soon happy.gif

#3 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Aww, I'm sorry dear. It's so frustrating and discouraging. I know.

But don't tell yourself you have writer's block...cause then you really will have it! (It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy that way.) And I don't think you do.

If you're still writing, but the words are just falling flat and you just don't like any of it, then I bet you just need to turn your Inner Censor off. You know, the voice inside that plays the negative soundtrack over everything you're trying to accomplish? "It's not going to work. Why try it. ... This is ridiculous. No one will like it. ... You've written all day and this is all you have? You should just chuck it and go back to reading. Leave the writing to someone else."

You can add your own variations and put it in someone else's voice if need be. (A nagging parent, a mean sibling or an undermining bf/gf/bff/teacher.) But your Inner Censor is the one who tells you what you've created is not good enough. And you just have to turn it off and keep creating.

Keep writing, like PB126 said, and write about whatever you want. Anything! Sometimes you have to jumpstart it by writing in a new location. Library, bookstore, coffeeshop. Somewhere new. Other times you have to let your creativity reign supreme: write about what's in front of you, what you like or what you hate. Or other times it could be writing about your subject but in a completely different way. You're writing, but you're not really writing: Interview your characters; write a character sheet; write a plot outline; imagine the characters in your environment, modern-day, then write a scene about it, no story, no strings attached.

Write around your creative pothole. Because that's all it is, just a dip in the road. So turn you Inner Censor down, like turning down the volume on a crappy song, switch the music in your head to something you love, and keep on writing. Whatever you do, just keep on writing. You'll be back on smooth road before you know it.

edit: oh yeah, go to the bookstore or library and check out "The Artist's Way," "The Right to Write" or any Julia Cameron book. It's the nuts and bolts of being an artist, getting yourself through these rough patches and steering clear of people who would block your creativity. It's the best gift you can give yourself. And if you've truly exhausted every option and your still not feeling creative, go read some of it. Any part. It will make you feel better than anything else can.

Edited by tricksie, 03 January 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#4 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Well I'm not sure if I can help since my writers block is usually due to me just being too busy to write. However I'm an artist first, and my reason for writing fanfics was because I had artist block XD I couldn't draw at all, and if I did each sketch looked awful. I was never able to finish any drawings, and if I did I didnt like the piece at all. So in my frustration I turned to writing, I had a knack for it in school so I figured what the hell. I ended up loving it, and being able to use my creativity again was awesome. After a few chapters I had material to draw, and I didnt feel my artist block any longer. So my advice to you is maybe pick up on something new, like something you've thought about doing but have never gotten to it. Besides sometimes breaks are needed and your work afterwards is twice as good. I wish you the best of luck biggrin.gif

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#5 Destiny

Destiny

Queen of the hard hitters!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I'm very thankful for all of your help!

PB: I spent a lot of time just typing random things today, just pure thought vomit. But it was good. It's good to know that not everything I write is in stone.

Ignoring that voice in my head helped a lot thanks Tricksie! That seemed to be what was getting in the way of me typing to begin with.

Konahakitten: I can see where that helps! I'll have to pick up some other creative subject and see how that works for me. hmmm...

Love is everything.

#6 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Destiny @ Jan 3 2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I'm very thankful for all of your help!

PB: I spent a lot of time just typing random things today, just pure thought vomit. But it was good. It's good to know that not everything I write is in stone.

Ignoring that voice in my head helped a lot thanks Tricksie! That seemed to be what was getting in the way of me typing to begin with.

Konahakitten: I can see where that helps! I'll have to pick up some other creative subject and see how that works for me. hmmm...

Anytime biggrin.gif always glad to help.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users