7 replies to this topic

#1 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

I don't know whether I'm allowed to ask this here - If I don't, I hope the administrators will let me know and I would remove this thread ....
So, how do you choose a good Beta reader from the looooong list of 5000+ that FFnet offers? I am the only one who always give up after going through the first 10 of this long list? If anyone could help and give me tips on how to go about this, because I need a good beta for my stories. I have a problem of grammar as English is not my main language - I tend to struggle sometimes (and sometimes spelling, but usually the spell checks option take care of that...)
So, should I look for a beta who has beta-ed a large number of stories? or will that come to the person being too busy and will not have time to look into additional stories?
I usually have reviewers offering me to Beta, but then either they are not even listed as betas - I a bit reluctant to work with this person, how will I even exchange documents? Or if they are listed, when I check their stories, their language is not up to my liking...but of course I would not be so rude as to tell them that, they are kind enough to offer!
Cha...help please. It would be fantastic if there is a beta already here and would be willing to help me?

Madz

#2 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

Well, I offer to edit or whatever people's stories (although I am not listed as a Beta) but if you want one from the list of 5000+ maybe you should read some of their work... Of course not all of them! Maybe just a few.

Also, I'm sure that the admins don't have a problem with the topic.

#3 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

Can't say anything in the matter due that I have bad experiences with Beta readers the ones I had were:

-They weren't so good in correcting grammar horrors (which sadly that is my biggest weakness in fan fiction).

-They take too long for them to send me back the corrected version of the story chapter (I had one Beta that I sent a chapter ONE year ago and he still hasn't returning it to me yet.)

I know we all are busy with living our daily lives but I think that if the person is busy as hell with his life then he/she shouldn't bother in accepting the job as a Beta reader if they are going to take too long like a year or even two years to correct one single chapter.

Edited by Gravenimage, 19 June 2011 - 06:14 PM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#4 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

Shippudengirl...
Thanks you for the feedback!
So, you mean it's a current thing for non-listed betas to actually beta for stories? So, I was being wary for no reason...
Maybe then I should look up to the offers even if they are not listed.
As for going through the list, I must have gone through 100 already of the 5000 + list, and I'm still don't know whether any of them is the one. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious and overly picky.

Gravenimage...
Wow, that's some bad experience!
I need someone who would catch my grammar mistakes, and it would beat the purpose it it is not well done.
And 1 year to still not return one chapter?? Wow...

I must admit that I'm very nervous when I read some of the entries of the apparently good betas...It's as if I would have to chase them to get back the work. Being that it's a pure voluntary work, and they do it out of goodwill, I feel it would be very awkward to push them, and at the same time, it would be rude to bypass them and post the chapter if they have not returned your work back, KWIM?

Anyone has someone they know/have worked with to recommend?

Madz

Edited by Madz, 19 June 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#5 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

My recommendations would be:

Paradox Jast- he's an excellent beta he's also the author of the famous Naru/Saku story "whirlpool country" if you haven't read it yet then read it now. thumbsup.gif

Denim88- another great beta he has written a lot of famous Naru/Saku stories.

However there's a sit back from this both authors I haven't heard a thing from them in a long time so I don't know if they are accepting to beta chapters but to me these two are among the good Beta readers.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#6 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

Oh, yeah! I've heard good things about them :P

#7 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

Well... the way I choose my betas is by first comparing my weaknesses with their strengths, and their overall personality.
Like, for me I like someone who isn't afraid to critique and pushes me to write the next chapter.

#8 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

I know I'm like, waaaaaay late to the party here but I figure my advice can also apply to anyone else that peruses this topic:

The best betas are usually fellow authors. I think most folks get the idea that when they are signing up to beta, it's a free ticket to read a chapter early.

That's perhaps a perk, but nothing more - the betas job is not to just 'read' a chapter and give it a quick look over. The betas job is to check for grammar, punctuation, etc, and also to act as a sounding board for the author.

For example, I beta Denim88's work, and he betas mine. It works for the two of us because we often brainstorm ideas for the other with our stories, and we have different yet similar writing styles. This way it's not too much of a stretch to offer suggestions with wording, scenes, dialogue, etc. It just so happens to be a bonus that the two of us usually have less than a 24-hour turnaround when we're checking each others stuff. Heck, sometimes we can even direct check through instant messengers.

Fair Warning: If anyone wants me to beta their stuff, then just send me a message through the board here, and I'll forward my email. Note that it isn't a free invite to send me stuff either. I'm not going to beta stuff that has no semblance of order. If anyone wants me to beta, it needs to be at least in a somewhat similar writing style to mine, because I can only critique what I'm familiar with. Check out my stuff on fanfiction if you haven't already to see what my writing style is like.

Edited by Paradox Jast, 27 August 2011 - 08:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users