Close
Photo

How are you explaining your reaction of the end to others?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:56 AM

Have your friends and family been asking why you are depressed and/or freaking out?

I tried to avoid getting into too much detail at work.  I just said, "A comic series I really like ended this week."  Got a few sympathetic nods.  I really did not get a lot done at work on Friday because I could not concentrate. 

Around my anime and manga savvy friends I was a lot more blustery.  Thankfully, my non-ship and even my NH friends were all like "this ending is bull."  The only people who were satisfied were people who hadn't even read the chapter - they were just glad it was over because it had been running too long!

I posted the cryptic Facebook status update of:  "So it appears that the ending of a manga series can hit you like the death of a relative or an old friend."  Lots of understanding agreement.

But I think the best explanation went to my husband, who was having trouble comprehending just how devastated I was until I put it in terms he could understand.

Me: "Hey honey, remember how depressed you were after you saw the world premiere of the Oreimo OVA with the producer and stuff at Otakon, and it turned out to be a steaming pile of incestuous dookey?"

Him: "Oh god.  I didn't realize it was that bad."  

And I got a hug and a shoulder to sniffle on for a bit.

Edited by Catwho, 09 November 2014 - 05:56 AM.

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#2 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:10 AM

Oh god.... Your explanation to your husband kills me. This is why I love you so much. So mature and yet so funny. You really should get in touch with jhayni-in-the-rain at tumblr. She's a fellow FT fan and semi-professional writer like you. I have a feeling you two would get along smashingly.

But yeah, I've known a couple of people I follow agree that the ending sounds bull, and they haven't read it yet!!! But they do agree that it should've been open ending, since there weren't enough developments for all pairings involved.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#3 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:17 AM

Hah!  I actually did a bit of work on my Tumblr.  It's no longer a one shot page for a contest entry.  (I won an Ahriman choker for those little boxes, by the by.)

I've decided to just stick to shoujo from now on (excepting Fairy Tail.)  Even if the end result is a pairing I don't agree with, I know the support for the pairing will at least be included in the final resolution. 

#4 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:31 AM

Yes, several times I catch myself thinking of the manga, mind drifting to the plot and the what-ifs and the future...then I hit the brick wall that its over. There will never be those little moments that I've waited for. There will never be an answer to Kushina's request to 'find a girl like me.' Naruto will never surpass Jiraiya and succeed where he failed. He will never get his heart's desire. And Sakura will never be recognized fully and loved, in spite of and because of her faults. Her perfections, as Naruto might have put it if the bench scene were to ever be revealed. Naruto will never confess his true feelings, like he told Sai he would. Yamato will always be wrong in whatever he saw in Sakura.

There will never be another Sakura-chan. All hearts are broken in the end.

I saw the spine of a volume in the library today and I had to remind myself that it's over. There's nothing more to look for or forward to in the books. If I'm going to find a resolution for Naruto and Sakura it's going to be in fanfiction or art. But not in the manga. 

Maybe one day, like a bad break up, Kishimoto will admit that he was wrong. He should have done things differently. But it will be cold comfort. Because there was never any doubt, to us, the ones left behind, that he was wrong. That he gave up on his story, not us. That he betrayed our trust and threw out the steady, built up romance for something new and careless. The "shocking ending" that's a fool's gold, flash in the pan.

It's not a satisying sunset on a long and winding story. It's a slammed door. And we all feel the stunning finality of it. We can't go back. We can't go through. We just have to move on. 

For a character who was a lifeline, a bright spot, a hopeless love and an unrelenting hero, his ending was nothing less than a tragedy. He didn't get what he wanted. And neither did we. 

edit: okay maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic. I've had two terribly late nights after two exhausting days and I think I'm getting punchy. But I'm not taking it down! I'm honestly more sad than I thought i'd be. I think if it hadn't been such a swift pull of the plug to the whole series I'd feel differently. But I feel like no one won in the end. It just ended. *sob* *goingtobed* *sob*

#5 MangaReader

MangaReader

I'm the Greatest Ever!!

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Drawing
    Animating
    Watching TV

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:47 AM

To be honest... the fact I haven't gotten over it yet might just mean I shoulder this burden for life. Basically I've become a master of hiding my emotions since childhood (not going into too much detail about that) so no one's been asking anything. At the same time... I'm not really depressed, despite all the questions I keep asking myself, so much as I've come to terms that 699 and 700 don't exist or that the real chapters have just been lost never to be found. In that regard, NaruSaku is canon to me

sad_naruto_sig_by_mangafreak17-d81c8fy.p

Even if I'm not the one to make you happy

#6 It's Deidara Hm

It's Deidara Hm

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:My ships better sail

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:50 AM

Maybe one day, like a bad break up, Kishimoto will admit that he was wrong. He should have done things differently. But it will be cold comfort. Because there was never any doubt, to us, the ones left behind, that he was wrong. That he gave up on his story, not us. That he betrayed our trust and threw out the steady, built up romance for something new and careless. The "shocking ending" that's a fool's gold, flash in the pan.

The ending with NH and SS somewhat reminds me of how Harry Potter ended. The supporting main characters (aka the sidekicks) get together and the main character marries a girl outside of their team who has had a crush on him for a time. 

Recently news had broke out that J.K. Rowling regretted her choice of pairings and would have preferred Hermione and Harry to end up together. Perhaps Kishi, at some point in time, will think that too and regret his ending. Let's hope so.

4d1ad0db251e88852e66f358afc86cde.gif

#7 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:57 AM

At work on Thursday I purposely took on a job in the back that wouldn't have me dealing face to face with customers because I was so out of it. I got texts the whole day from people who aren't even fans asking me if I was ok. (lol a bit much, but I appreciated the thought)

I just explain it as, "You know fanfiction where people are written terribly OOC and everyone gets paired off with people just because the author wants to hamfist fluff? That was made canon."

The lack of resolution between Naruto and Sasuke alone is killing me. The pairings were the icing on the poop cake tbh.  :no:

tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#8 Niky

Niky

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

But I think the best explanation went to my husband, who was having trouble comprehending just how devastated I was until I put it in terms he could understand.

Me: "Hey honey, remember how depressed you were after you saw the world premiere of the Oreimo OVA with the producer and stuff at Otakon, and it turned out to be a steaming pile of incestuous dookey?"

Him: "Oh god.  I didn't realize it was that bad."  

And I got a hug and a shoulder to sniffle on for a bit.

Sooo CUUUTTTEEEEEE!!!    :wub:    :grouphug:

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”

G. K. Chesterton

tumblr_o3tosabkSm1untbo7o4_r2_250.gif

Their first encounter...

#9 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

An day before the chapter, I was feeling pretty crushed when I witnessed those raw scans. Then it was time for the family to eat and the food just wouldn't go down. My folk don't share the same tastes as me, nor they would even barely understand it even if I explained. So I decided to just shove down the food the best I could, so they wouldn't start worrying. It was pretty tough that day. After the chapters were out I started to feel much better, actually. I just came to realize how bad this endings were, not only on an romantic point but also story one. At that point I wasn't feeling bad anymore, but actually, I was feeling silly, realizing how this series was not really worth my worries.

Actually, I could say this ending actually had an positive effect on my life. It brought back my inspiration to draw and write my own stories once again. Because if Kishi can still do well even after he **** it up so badly, then so can anyone if they try hard enough. I can do better then him, and so can others if they put enough dedication.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#10 Zatheko

Zatheko

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Writing, MMO's, Games

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

Unfortunately most of my irl friends like NH so now they keep rubbing it in my face...

I've just kinda been reacting with "Naruto? What's that?"

If it doesn't exist it can't bother me :D

#11 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:27 PM

Sooo CUUUTTTEEEEEE!!!    :wub:    :grouphug:

Hehe!  He was a MUCH bigger Oreimo fan than I was, but we both were rooting for Kuroneko until the end.  She's still the best character of that entire series, perhaps because she valued her friendships above her own feelings and was willing to sacrifice her love to avoid destroying them.  (And for me it was because of that that she deserved happiness.)

He was depressed for a month after that. 

#12 nikki1314

nikki1314

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Interests:NARUSAKU , FANFICS , NARUSAK.. oh ive said that.. MUSIC , Photography and NARUSAKU!

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

Im Lucky. Most of my friends arent jerks and did not rub NH To my Face. albeit they werent really shipping types. and im so happy that tumblr doesnt appeal to me. 

-Naruto ending gets released- 

Kishi: Honey, I’m home! 

His wife:

tumblr_inline_nw89a6rhAY1smwzjq_500.gif

#13 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

I got to say, yesterday's podcast recording made me feel a lot better, but yes, it's a tragic to have this in your mind for the rest of the life. You can hold it back, but it's not gone. So you can move on or be bewildered of the series. Memories remain.

#14 danittebane

danittebane

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, Naruto, Japanese food, History, International relations, Watching series

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

I tell them truthfully that I'm upset because my childhood has ended and it's more upsetting because my childhood ended in a very disappointing way. And then I tell them because my ship sank (but that part's okay since I've accepted it) and because the ending had a lot of empty parts, it didn't answer the things that were needed to be answered. 

Then I tell them atleast Sakura's kid (or Karin's, idk) looks good and that Hinata's children didn't inherit the byakugan and I'd be disappointed if I was Neji and blablabla. Then I'd tell them with intensity that Yamato didn't even had a single appearance on the last chapter (Yamato is my favorite male character in the series) 

So there.

#15 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

Oh yeah. It was hard explaining to people my reaction. It's like I just sort of shut down, but I wouldn't admit it to anyone. I actually tried to act like I was totally fine with it... I didn't want to seem like it affected me the way it did. Because if I did people would start jumping on me. I try to avoid the subject these days. Don't want to deal with it. But if people try to make me deal with it, I'll happily express my opinions. 

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#16 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

Im laughing about it with all my friends, some who even ship NH and SS.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users