Close
Photo

How do you like to write fanfiction?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you like to write fanfiction? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you like to write fanfiction?

1. Oh, a combination of ways. Winging, planning - been there, done that (14 votes [48.28%])

Percentage of vote: 48.28%

2. WING IT, CHAPTER BY CHAPTER (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

3. Plan out the whole story beforehand and post each chapter as you finish them (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

4. Write the entire story behind the scenes, edit, and finally post (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

5. Write some chapters beforehand, then start posting and update as you go (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:06 AM

What process do you go through in writing fanfiction? Share your experiences! biggrin.gif

I've been all over the place. For years, I just winged every chapter. Sometimes I'd have a rush of inspiration and envision what future chapters would include, but never jotted it down (and so usually forgot them). Most of the time I just ran with what I had, and sometimes I reckon it's the worst thing I could have done. Lack of foresight really narrows your choices down when you're trying to tie up a story... as I've learned.

Then for one of my stories, I actually sat down and planned out everything beforehand, chapter by chapter. The details change a little as I write but the skeleton of the story stays the same. It's quite a reassuring method XD

Now for another unpublished story I have, I've written a few whole chapters already - I promised myself not to publish it until I finished one in-progress story, so I've just been picking at it every now and then. So far I actually think I like this method the most. I had sudden epiphanies about characterisation problems that I could only realise after a few chapters, and having the story unpublished allowed me to make the changes without a worry. I'm also planning out future chapters for this story and I'm stuck near the last few chapters. It's quite a fun ride behind the scenes happy.gif

I've had this poll on my profile page at ff.net for a week as well and here are the votes so far:

1 Oh, a combination of ways. Winging, planning - been there, done that - 8 » 32%
2 WING IT, CHAPTER BY CHAPTER - 5 » 20%
3 Plan out the whole story beforehand and post each chapter as you finish them - 4 » 16%
4 Write the entire story behind the scenes, edit, and finally post - 4 » 16%
5 Non-author here - 3 » 12%
6 Write some chapters beforehand, then start posting and update as you go - 1 » 4%
7 Other - 0 » 0%
Unique voters: 25

#2 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:19 AM

I completely wing it have the time.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#3 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Eating... Sleeping... Thinking about monkeys...

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:07 AM

I used to be a winger all the time kinda guy, but I found that it's extremely difficult to wrap up a lot of the crucial elements and tie up loose ends, etc. I think I'm rapidly moving towards a Plan out general outline and the tiny little details can sort themselves out, but most of the story is definitely planned out.

#4 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

I used to wing it. Now I use yWriter. Lets me splort out the ideas into a text file, then organize them a bit into something that makes sense. For longer works, you can even add in your character bios and such to keep track of who is where, and stuff.

It's free. http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#5 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Eating... Sleeping... Thinking about monkeys...

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE (Catwho @ Dec 12 2011, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to wing it. Now I use yWriter. Lets me splort out the ideas into a text file, then organize them a bit into something that makes sense. For longer works, you can even add in your character bios and such to keep track of who is where, and stuff.

This is amazing. Thank you so much for the suggestion! =D

#6 digifruit

digifruit

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

Interesting to see how many "planners" there are, since I'm a lazy "winger", haha. But as long as you have fun writing, it's all good, right? biggrin.gif

But if you're really serious about writing a story, I think finishing the entire story first before posting anything is the way to go. Chapter-by-chapter serial releases can make things pretty complicated. Even pros who do serial releases (ie, Kishimoto with Naruto and JK Rowling with the Harry Potter series) end up writing a lot of sub-par stuff due to the serial format. They can't go back and retool previous scenes in order to accommodate the creative new ideas that come with winging it, so sometimes stuff seems to just come out of left field in serial stories with no foreshadowing at all (cough harry/ginny cough); but on the flipside, adhering to the plot outline too much in order to avoid those "out of left field" developments kind of quenches spontaneous creativity. So, really, regardless of whether you wing it or plan ahead, nothing can substitute for having the entire story finished before it is available for the audience to read. We're not pros though and just write for fun, so it's all moot point, haha

Anyway, as for sharing what my process is... I like to wing it, which is why I write oneshots. It's no fun being stuck or on the brink of abandoning a multi-chap story (for both author and reader), which is what happens oftentimes when the author just wings it. Writing oneshots allows me the freedom to wing it (ie, let my characters come alive and write the story themselves without me "forcing" the plot into a predetermined structure), while also giving me the option to retool previous scenes to accommodate new unforeseen developments. The only planning I ever do is for the initial premise of the story, since the premise has to be believable and solid for the story to even get off the ground

#7 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

Yeah, I saw that in your poll.
I always write the whole story first, each single chapter until the very end, before starting to post a story.
I then edit each chapter as I go before posting.

But when I say write the whole story, I really mean it is at about 80% finished, since my unedited story has quite a LOT of work to be done onto. For example, I will leave scenes like fights, kissing scene and lemons to be written during the editing stage.
And since English is my 3rd language - my native language being Creole and 2nd French - I leave LOTS of creole and french words in my original text (very often I find myself lacking the proper English word in the spur of writing), so, on top of the grammar work, the editing takes a LONG time for me.

#8 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (Catwho @ Dec 13 2011, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just like you, haha. I do the same thing with MS Onenote. It's not as detailed as yWriter, which I've checked out before, but it's enough to keep my thoughts organised. Click anywhere and type ftw a_thumbs.gif

QUOTE (digifruit @ Dec 13 2011, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's no fun being stuck or on the brink of abandoning a multi-chap story (for both author and reader), which is what happens oftentimes when the author just wings it.

Oh man, I hear you. I hear you quite loudly XD To be fair, winging it is fun at the moment. The aftermath just gets a bit messy sometimes.

QUOTE (Madz @ Dec 13 2011, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I saw that in your poll.
I always write the whole story first, each single chapter until the very end, before starting to post a story.
I then edit each chapter as I go before posting.

But when I say write the whole story, I really mean it is at about 80% finished, since my unedited story has quite a LOT of work to be done onto. For example, I will leave scenes like fights, kissing scene and lemons to be written during the editing stage.
And since English is my 3rd language - my native language being Creole and 2nd French - I leave LOTS of creole and french words in my original text (very often I find myself lacking the proper English word in the spur of writing), so, on top of the grammar work, the editing takes a LONG time for me.

Whoa, dedication! Such a thorough process! I'm impressed, especially by your editing process. For me, editing is just reading the chapter through one or two times, picking up typos, and then I'm pretty much sick of it sweatdrop.gif Glad to see someone with such patience biggrin.gif

#9 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

LOL...
It's more a necessity than dedication! If I don't do a thorough editing, my work would be a pitiful read (and even though all the editing I still have a LOTS of improvement to work upon).
In fact, I'm impressed that despite you skimming over the editing, your writing is so good!

And another reason why I always ensure the story is always completed before I post is the fear that I get bored right in the middle and stop writing the story. Until now, I've always started to get bored with my stories as from the 6-7th chapter, despite it being already written and only needs editing, and I have to push myself to complete the editing of the rest, lol. It's the main reason why I can't write long stories. 8 to 9 chapters have been my top until now.

#10 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

I personally have the main plot all planned out, but the fun part is coming up with little details and side events before I get to the end. I usually write some chapters by hand. Then when I get to typing things get changed up or completely taken out. Then in some instants like with my current chapter, I scrap everything I wrote (which in this case was 10 pages) and just type away and see what happens biggrin.gif

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#11 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

I've been writing for a while now and I've gone through both the winging and planning stage! Unfortunately, none of the planned material has been published since it's still mostly W.I.P. and I end up abandoning it halfway through because I get bored of it. Though it does have its good points like allowing more flexibility and easier editing for including and excluding scenes and details as we continue through the story.

Winging was something I did when I initially started out and still do sometimes, but they are a major killer when writing multi-chapter stories as I've learned from experience and *cough*excuse the bunch of incomplete abandoned stories on my profile*cough* I suppose that's why I have a lot more fun with one-shots! At least then I can have a story planned partway with just brief ideas and wing it the rest of the way and viola! Complete story! Unfortunately for me, I don't get quite as many interesting one-shot ideas as I do multi-chapter ideas and it's such a pain when I want it written but I can't muster the motivation or the determination to write it out sad.gif

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#12 Tomcat171

Tomcat171

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

I wing it, but my method in doing so has made me realise that I'm probably disappointing a lot of readers.

This period of my life is currently quite hectic, what with working to get a degree amongst other things, so I don't have much writing time inside semesters. Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped me from staying with the silly habit of waiting until I have about two, three or even four consecutive days in which to write an entire chapter from the first sentence. I fear that writing a little bit, leaving it and then coming back to continue it will break up my flow and potentially ruin it. As a result, I'm usually at an appalling gap of three to four months between every individual upload.

Now that I know this, I will start writing a paragraph or two every day or so. That way, a chapter will slowly build, even when I've designated days for straight working.

Edited by Tomcat171, 13 December 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#13 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

Most of the times I got a story in mind the entire thing just literally entered my mind and I already figure out how will start and how will end. So all I have to do is think how the plot of the story will move on leading to that ending. Sometimes it gets hard to write without any motivation if I feel the story doesn't have a future I just give up in continuing if I ever get the motivation to resuming it again, this problem has happened to me before with a couple of stories now I have some stories I have the motivation to continue and hopefully finish.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#14 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

When I first started out writing, I use to wing it a lot. I mean my first story I wrote came entirely from my head, and most of the time the plot never made sense, and I got criticized for that. Now thought I wing it less and tend to have everything written out before I come out with a new story, it's just mostly my thoughts on ideas, but I do put them into context, and now my stories are more organized, and make better. smile.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#15 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

Stage One: Collect ideas
Stage Two:
Stage Three: STORY!

No seriously, that's usually how it goes for me. I have the ideas and I end up having to type them all down as notes or store them in my long-term memory for future reference. Once I'm actually ready to write a story, all of my ideas get regurgitated onto the screen and then it becomes a matter of forming the scenes and dialogue that comprised all of those ideas.

Generally, I'll have an idea swimming in my head for a while. I let it go through various scenarios and situations before it comes time for writing it down so I have a better vision for how it's supposed to go. What usually will happen is that as I'm working on my ideas and plot lines, the story will pick-up and practically write itself. I always try to figure out how a story will play itself out before actually writing it, but it also will depend on my mood and how much time I can commit to writing.
End of line.

#16 Tomcat171

Tomcat171

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:40 AM

I do have one very annoying habit of knowing where I want my fic to go...but I don't bother writing it down. Even for what I'm intending to be my 'big' NaruSaku fic, I've had the climax in mind for probably a year. Just thinking back to it every day or so is enough for me. To be honest, I think reading it in draft summary form just makes it sound cheesy...

#17 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

I've only written one-shots and drabbles, so I may not be the best guide. I have started several multipe-chapter stuff, but life got in the way and I never got past Chapter 1.

For those I have complete, I have an idea and a distinct place I want it to go, but I didn't plan much at all. The harder I plan, the less I write. So, I have vague ideas and then just wing it after that, but I do always have a destination in mind even if it's a general one. I'm concertned that without it, the story will end up rudderless with nowhere to go.

#18 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

First I get the quick structure down, disregarding tenses, punctuation, dialogue attribution, etc. etc. This is just to get the ideas down as fast as I can.

Next I go back through and flesh out the story. I clean up the dialogue, add description and look for general consistency. Sometimes this part is just editing, sometimes it involves major rewriting. Especially when I discover a decision I've made doesn't work with my original direction for a charcter or scene.

Then I edit. Sometimes twice. I'll read it silently or aloud, and I try to think about the scene/chapter as if i were reading it for the first time. I don't use a beta, so this method works okay for me. Sometimes typos get through. Sometimes I discover that I've favored a word that chapter. (This time it was swept/sweeping. Used it five times.) But I try not to stress too much about it. As long as the characters are acting in-character for the scene, their motivations and reactions, then I don't worry too much about a few typos. Happens.

As for planning, yeah, I pretty much plan it out. Which is crazy because I wing just about every other creative thing I do. But I want to make sure I finish, so I don't want to invest my time writing in one direction, just to decide 10 chapters in that it simply doesn't work.

I guess I wing it in the quick first-draft stage, where the story's just a hawt mess. But that's the part no one ever sees. smile.gif

#19 Soul

Soul

Toriko's 1# fan!

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the internet, Hanging out, drawing, reading and all that stuff..

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hey guys,I just have one requrst from you,How can i write a fanfic?
Well iam not a writer actually iam a very bad one,So you think you could help me up?
Iam working in a fanfic about my 'roi' so it's going to be a tough one since it will be my first time
(If you guys don't mind but what will really help me out is accepting my challenge 'Ice heart' and give me some ideas about my fanfic happy.gif)

#20 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (Zeref @ Dec 16 2011, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys,I just have one requrst from you,How can i write a fanfic?
Well iam not a writer actually iam a very bad one,So you think you could help me up?
Iam working in a fanfic about my 'roi' so it's going to be a tough one since it will be my first time
(If you guys don't mind but what will really help me out is accepting my challenge 'Ice heart' and give me some ideas about my fanfic happy.gif)

You might have more luck starting up your own thread to ask for advice, or searching around the older threads for past answers happy.gif

My quick rundown would be: there is no answer to your question, haha. Writing just happens for me and a lot of people I know. It is not a calculated process. It really helps if you read a lot of books or fanfiction, to get a grasp of the language and style. Then you just keep experimenting. Never be disheartened by what you write, because there is always room for improvement. Just keep writing, take any feedback in stride, and slowly you will develop your own writing style smile.gif The rest is just grammar and punctuation (i.e. checking for typos etc) and structure (paragraphing). Good luck with your story!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users