Close
Photo

How Do You Feel About Fanservice In Anime?

Fanservice Opinion Anime

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Sedna

Sedna

Nostalgic

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Birds.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:58 AM

Title says it all.

#2 Win-chan

Win-chan

Eternal NaruSaku Warrior

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Music, Piano, Violin, Composing, Writing, Reading, Enneagram, Psychology, Ancient History

Favorite anime/manga: Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note

Favorite TV shows: Supernatural and Sherlock

Favorite ships: NARUSAKU!, MinaKushi, ShikaTema, IchiRuki, MustangxHawkeye, SayaxHaji

Favorite Naruto characters (in no particular order): Naruto, Kakashi, Yamato, Shikamaru, Sakura, Minato, Deidara, Gaara

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:23 AM

ANNOYING. Especially when it makes the characters behave out of character. IDK, I just feel like fanservice in lots of anime is really immature perverted humor, like a middle schooler who's just learning about puberty. So, most of the time I just pretend like it didn't happen. 

SHINACHIKU

tumblr_inline_ngnhtp3KQk1sy20ab.jpg

The strong-willed, intelligent and powerful yet loving, tender, and sensitive heartthrob of Konoha.

#3 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

That depends what you mean. I don't mind once in a while, but do it regularly is very distracting.

#4 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

Well, I'm pretty neutral about it. I mean sometimes I like the fanservice. Just as long as it doesn't stray from the actual plot.

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#5 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

I don't care for it. I'm more tolerant of it in light-hearted/comedic works (depending on how much we are talking about it), but as a general matter I don't like it.

#6 luffyq1

luffyq1

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

It makes me happy in certain places. But if it involves loli I'll throw up.

Untitled_zpsbc671263.png

#7 dylanrivers10000

dylanrivers10000

Blow this up like pyromania-def leppard

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Location:on the moon shadow and i blew up the earth, now along side the ENTIRE CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE, and the A-TEAM
  • Interests:proving people that being stereotypical about me and bashing me is impolite, and is just rude!!!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:42 AM

very neutral

Neil-Young-Rockin-In-The-Fre-101219.jpg

#8 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:01 AM

It's gross and gratuitous.

Yeah, I know you're all surprised that this is my opinion :P

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#9 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

Not enough  :hm:

eh10ut.jpg

#10 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

If a girl is trying to fight or be serious I hate it. If they are just... there? Well as a guy I love it. I mean.... what should I say? "Ew girls revealing their bodies is not right!!!" No... I'm a guy. >.> But I do hate it for the reason I mentioned earlier. Like with Rebecca from One Piece. She has a sad background and fights for good tough reasons. But then she has 99% of her body showing. WHY!? Her whole character is about "protecting herself" but she has... no armor on... just little plates of clothing barely covering on her "obvious" regions. Why do that?

Left Hand to the Future Pirate King

Vinsmoke "Black Leg" Sanji

2XtVwF6.png

#11 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

If a girl is trying to fight or be serious I hate it. If they are just... there? Well as a guy I love it. I mean.... what should I say? "Ew girls revealing their bodies is not right!!!" No... I'm a guy. >.> But I do hate it for the reason I mentioned earlier. Like with Rebecca from One Piece. She has a sad background and fights for good tough reasons. But then she has 99% of her body showing. WHY!? Her whole character is about "protecting herself" but she has... no armor on... just little plates of clothing barely covering on her "obvious" regions. Why do that?

Well, it's not so much that girls shouldn't reveal their bodies (of course, people can choose how revealing their clothes are and no choice is wrong), it's more that pointless fanservice is objectification, which is, like I said gross and gratuitous. There's isn't anything wrong with someone finding a girl's body attractive, as long as you're respectful about it to real life females and, for fictional females, recognizing objectification for what it is.

And I totally agree about the armor thing. Do manga and comic creators think people only go for the boob and vag regions when attacking?

Edited by KonaKonaFan, 09 July 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#12 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

Generally, It often is a waste of narrative time and treats the audience like they're stupid.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#13 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

Generally, It often is a waste of narrative time and treats the audience like they're stupid.

So I'm stupid for liking a female's body? xD

They're smart to do it. Fairy Tail and Highschool of the Dead would of never got as big as it was without fanservice.

2XtVwF6.png

#14 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

So I'm stupid for liking a female's body? xD

They're smart to do it. Fairy Tail and Highschool of the Dead would of never got as big as it was without fanservice.

That's not what I meant. A show/movie/etc. treating its audience like it's stupid is not the same as the audience being stupid. It shoves fanservice in the forefront so it can draw attention more easily without instead relying on investment in the story, characters, writing/dialogue, etc., like a quality story should. Often, fanservice is just a cheap trick. Sometimes it can be used justifiably (see Outbreak Company), but most of the time it's a detriment. Particularly when it just plain wastes time. That's when it's a huuuuuuuge problem. Entire scenes that add nothing to a story but boobs and ass, adding nothing to the characters/etc.

Are they smart to include it? In a way, yes. You point out why; it gets attention, and hence can get more money. But does it contribute positively to a story's quality? Usually, no.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 09 July 2014 - 07:07 AM.

AboojTi.gif

#15 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

That's not what I meant. A show/movie/etc. treating its audience like it's stupid is not the same as the audience being stupid. It shoves fanservice in the forefront so it can draw attention more easily without instead relying on investment in the story, characters, writing/dialogue, etc., like a quality story should. Often, fanservice is just a cheap trick. Sometimes it can be used justifiably (see Outbreak Company), but most of the time it's a detriment. Particularly when it just plain wastes time. That's when it's a huuuuuuuge problem. Entire scenes that add nothing to a story but boobs and ass, adding nothing to the characters/etc.

Are they smart to include it? In a way, yes. You point out why; it gets attention, and hence can get more money. But does it contribute positively to a story's quality? Usually, no.

I think some handle it fine. Fairy Tail for example. :P

2XtVwF6.png

#16 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

I'm not opposed to a little sexual-based humor, but fan service is usually pointless and I don't care for it.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#17 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

I think some handle it fine. Fairy Tail for example. :P

I can't really speak for Fairy Tail since I haven't seen/read that one myself. But yeah, some can work it in in such a way that it isn't counterproductive.

AboojTi.gif

#18 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

I once tried to read a Satoshi Urushihara manga (Legend of Lemnear). He is a good artist, but his female characters were the whole time losing their shirts/jackets/whatever covered their breasts. Very beautifully drawn breasts, I admit, but it was VERY distracting and annoying. Moreover, the female characters dealt their nakedness like if it was not a deal, even in very serious situations. It was very unrealistic and pulled me out of the history.

I guess that anecdote illustrates my position, but I will go on anyway.

When I was a teen, non-anime geeks regarded anime like "stupid cartoons for children full of excessive violence". Nowadays non-anime geeks regard anime like "stupid crap for manchildren and perverts full of fanservice, harems, lolis, panty and cleavage shots of teen girls and that kind of rubbish". Mainstream's perception of anime has changed since the nineties, and I do not think that the change has been positive. And I think a big chunk of responsibility for that situation rests squarely on the shoulders of anime-makers.

Go Nagai introduced fanservice in manga and anime, much to the ire of parents and teachers in the sixties and seventies. Still in those years fanservice used to be more... subtle. You had to be attentive and be looking for it to realize that in one scene, when a female character tripped, you could see her panties for one second. There were few fanservice series, and even then usually it was used for comedic moments and it was not the point of the show.

Now it is a plague, and it is everywhere. Compare the fanservice of Mazinger-Z or Gatchaman ("Oh, in this scene you can nearly spot her panties for a split-second!") with... Damidailer -a show where the main character must grope women to power his robot up and his enemies are penguin-shaped robots with permanent erections-, and you realize the difference.

Okay, maybe I have used an extreme example, but still...

Anyway, my answer to the topic's question is... It is annoying, it is distracting, often disturbing and nearly always pointless. If I want to watch pictures of beautiful women I will skim a fashion magazine or gossip tabloids or something. I do NOT need it in my entertainment aimed at children and young teens.

But that is not the worst part. It is one thing that I find it irritating or troubling. It often being straight-on offensive and sexist is a very different matter altogether.

So I am pretty sick of fanservice. When it was sparsely used or in a light-hearted and comedic fashion it was tolerable or even laugh-worthy. Now... well, I can not care less if someone catches me seeing a seventies children anime like Mazinger-Z, Gatchaman, CasshanYamato or Sally the Little Witch. Yes, the animation looks dated and it is a kids show, but I find it entertaining, so who cares? But I would not be caught dead watching some modern fanservice show. It is one thing being an adult that watches children shows knowing what they are and appreciating them because they are. It is a very different issue being an adult that watches shows full of scenes where teenagers kids with oversized breasts that show up constantly naked or showing their underwear.

In other words, I agree with most of people here.

And I totally agree about the armor thing. Do manga and comic creators think people only go for the boob and vag regions when attacking?

To be fair, you find that cliche more often in video games than in manga/anime.

That's not what I meant. A show/movie/etc. treating its audience like it's stupid is not the same as the audience being stupid. It shoves fanservice in the forefront so it can draw attention more easily without instead relying on investment in the story, characters, writing/dialogue, etc., like a quality story should. Often, fanservice is just a cheap trick. 

(insert whine here): B-b-b-b-but making quality shows without resorting to cheap tricks to get attention is harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: This hilarious page of Great Tearcher Onizuka lampshades it.

http://www.mangaread...hapter-200.html

Edited by Jenskott, 09 July 2014 - 09:50 AM.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#19 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

To be fair, you find that cliche more often in video games than in manga/anime.

But most often

tumblr_n3sp5oyLJc1r34y4ho1_400.png

in Western

tumblr_n3tx7amXxv1r34y4ho1_500.jpg

comic books

tumblr_n6xh15eE6n1r34y4ho1_500.jpg

lol

tumblr_n6xgwgofOd1r34y4ho1_500.jpg

Bonus because I found the most ridiculous anime image lmfao

tumblr_n7x2f0XUv71r34y4ho1_500.jpg

#20 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

The clothing on those doesn't even make sense. If I were to dress in some of those outfits, my boobs would be popping out just from running in them, let alone fighting.

And yeah, the last one is ridiculous.

Edited by questdrivencollie, 09 July 2014 - 08:58 AM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users