• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:26 AM

Sakura used to be my favorite Naruto Character, yes she was annoying as hell at first but as she got older and matured and especially post-timeskip she became my favorite. That all changed by the time the Naruto Manga ended, Kishimoto just completely shat all over Sakura's character and here are 7 Moments where Sakura's character was derailed the hardest.

1.) Marrying Sasuke and giving birth to Sarada (Somewhere between Chapters 699 and 700): Because nothing says true love than a man who tried to kill you not once, not twice but three times and is clearly only using you to rebuild his clan.

2.) The whole Iron Country Arc (Chapters 454-483): The whole kittening thing but most notably her kitten "Confession" and when she offered to betray Konoha and leave with Sasuke. And before anyone says she was lying to lure Sasuke into a false sense of security you forget she not only offered to leave with him when he left Konoha the first time but also when he left to "atone".

3.) Making Naruto promise to bring Sasuke back to Konoha (Chapter 183): Looking back this is where NaruSaku died because this was the moment Naruto gave up.

4.) Telling Naruto that he only loved her because of his rivalry with Sasuke while also gushing about her love for Sasuke like the pathetic fangirl she is. (The Last: Naruto The Movie)

5.) Professing her pathetic undying love for Sasuke not once but twice. (Chapters 181 and 693): It's really kittening pathetic

6.) Screaming "Sasuke-kun!" when Sasuke was about to stab Naruto (Chapter 307): This may not seem like that big of a deal but think about it had Sasuke actually killed Naruto in the next Chapter the last thing Naruto would've ever heard is Sakura shrieking Sasuke's name.

7.) Asking about Sasuke first when waking up from Sasuke's Genjutsu (Chapter 698): Again this seems like not that big of a deal but think about it one of the last things Sakura heard before Sasuke placed her in a Genjutsu (Which by the way was her seeing him stab her in the kittening chest) was that Sasuke planned to kill Naruto. And who was the first person she asks about when she awakens? kittening Sasuke.

uc.png

#2 Atheck

Atheck

Ally of NaruSaku

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:41 AM

I agree with your list, FullmetalNinja25. What's ironic is that Sakura's so called "love" for Sasuke was inspired by an intensive rivalry with Ino that resulted in them having a falling out because she couldn't learn to separate the dewey-eyed lust from the friendship she once had. If you ask me, Sakura became one of the biggest hypocrites of the series when making that quote. Don't pass judgement down on other people's feelings Sakura when you failed to realise how your "love" is completely degrading, irrational, and hypocritical.   

#3 starlitestarbrite

starlitestarbrite

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:11 AM

i agree.it seems like when naruto is near death sakura'll do ANYTHING to save him, but if he's fighting sasuke she don't care about naruto anymore just sasuke. i wouldn't be surprised if naruto did move on but, kishi didn't have to turn him into a scumbag to do it!. also i liked all the narusaku moments but, the way sakura acts i don't think naruto'll ever fullheartedly believe her

though he could have still confessed. i wonder how diffrent it would have been if naruto CONFESSED to sakura...it should have ended in the end of the pain arc with the NS hug, then naruto being hokage. that would have been the PERFECT ending...but kishi's a greedy idiot

who only cares about money, and himself.

#4 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

How could number 3 make naruto give up?
the one who make the promise is naruto not sakura. If he's truly give up, than he will make it clear.

Naruto doesn't give up on her, for whatever reason. (Before chapter 699 & 700)

#5 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:31 PM

I agree with all your points except for point 3, I don't see how the POAL made Naruto give up at all, he just accepted that Sakura like Sasuke at the moment and in a show of how selfless he is ( or used to be) chose to make taht promise for her sake, that shows how much NS is different from SS and NH, NS had selfless love involved where the other two didn't

In no moment I saw Naruto giving up on Sakura because of the POAL, he even said that he couldn't confess when the POAL was still up during the pre iron country saga which shows that in the end he was planning to reveal his feelings, he gave up because kishi said "whatever" , just brushed it off and then ultimately made Naruto receive a brainwashing during the last to love Hinata

Edited by Nar123, 19 July 2015 - 04:31 PM.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#6 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

I honestly disagree with the entire list.

Sakuras character was already derailed by several things all of which can be contributed to Author failure to utilize the character properly and proper character development.

Marrying Sasuke: Not a failure but the end result of the derailment, an inevitable end result of the failure to properly develop the character and a lazy author taking the easy way out

The Iron country arc, was actualy a step in development, its aftermath was poorly handled as what should've showcased Naruto and Sakura coming together over a misunderstanding was left unresolved, lazy writing again.

The POAL, Was again character development, the promise was made by Naruto not by Sakura and showed his true love for her by making the selfess sacrifice he made.

Loving Sakura because of Sasuke Rivalry, this comes from the last movie and can hardly be counted as Canon any more then Shion wanting to bear Narutos child from the first movie can.

Sakuras twin professions of love Both of these were made in moments of desperation and the first was a moment of development where Sakura in her desperation tries to keep her team together the only way she can think to do it, the immature little girl way. The second was more adault a way of keeping them from fighting by Sacrificing herself much as Naruto did with the POAL earlier.

Screaming Sasukes name, This was a warning to Naruto as much as a call to stop. It had nothing to do with character derailment she could easily have called Narutos name but it couldnt have changed the scene any

Asking about Sasuke first, I don't honestly see this as derailment more like the above the end result of derailment

What derailed Sakuras character to me were several missteps taken by the author through laziness

Failure to properly illuminate Sakuras love for Sasuke

The author failed to properly illuminate the audience to why and how Sakura fell in love with Sasuke and why she stayed in love with him. Now while I grant you, you don't need a reason to fall in love you DO need a reason to stay in love. This reason was never developed along with Sakura and Sasukes relationship leaving her looking like a pathetic hanger on.

Failure to properly show Sakuras feelings changing from Sasuke to Naruto,

The Author failed to showcase more effectively and consistently the change of feelings from Sasuke to Naruto, failed to show the maturing of feelings from childish crush--sasuke-- to mature love --Naruto-- and left Sakura looking manipulative and immature when the opposite was supposed to be happening.

Falure to properly resolve several moments of drama or confession,

The author failed to effectively and consistently resolve several moments of romantic tension and drama in a way that would leave audiences believing in the pairings. Narutos love for Sakura was never resolved in the manga, Sakuras love for Naruto was never resolved, Hinatas confession was never resolved, Karins love for Sasuke--And No it was not some pathetic fangirl crush all comedy aside-- was never properly resolved. Also failure to properly illuminate the reasons for several confessions such as Sakuras in iron country.

this failure of consistency left way too many plotholes and threads hanging in the wind and left readers unsatisfied. Sakuras for example should have been handled in such a way that when Sakura and Naruto were alone later, Naruto would explain that he knows why Sakura did what she did, and Sakura would explain that she only wanted to protect him and that she meant what she said to him. He would understand and say whent his is over lets talk about us ok? she would agree and the story would progress with a  new understanding between them. Character development is positive and the readers can follow things clearly.

Again laziness and failure to consistently follow through on plot elements are what derailed Sakura and Several other characters. Leaving the story in a pretty dark hole.

My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#7 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

I honestly disagree with the entire list.

Sakuras character was already derailed by several things all of which can be contributed to Author failure to utilize the character properly and proper character development.

Marrying Sasuke: Not a failure but the end result of the derailment, an inevitable end result of the failure to properly develop the character and a lazy author taking the easy way out

The Iron country arc, was actualy a step in development, its aftermath was poorly handled as what should've showcased Naruto and Sakura coming together over a misunderstanding was left unresolved, lazy writing again.

The POAL, Was again character development, the promise was made by Naruto not by Sakura and showed his true love for her by making the selfess sacrifice he made.

Loving Sakura because of Sasuke Rivalry, this comes from the last movie and can hardly be counted as Canon any more then Shion wanting to bear Narutos child from the first movie can.

Sakuras twin professions of love Both of these were made in moments of desperation and the first was a moment of development where Sakura in her desperation tries to keep her team together the only way she can think to do it, the immature little girl way. The second was more adault a way of keeping them from fighting by Sacrificing herself much as Naruto did with the POAL earlier.

Screaming Sasukes name, This was a warning to Naruto as much as a call to stop. It had nothing to do with character derailment she could easily have called Narutos name but it couldnt have changed the scene any

Asking about Sasuke first, I don't honestly see this as derailment more like the above the end result of derailment

What derailed Sakuras character to me were several missteps taken by the author through laziness

Failure to properly illuminate Sakuras love for Sasuke

The author failed to properly illuminate the audience to why and how Sakura fell in love with Sasuke and why she stayed in love with him. Now while I grant you, you don't need a reason to fall in love you DO need a reason to stay in love. This reason was never developed along with Sakura and Sasukes relationship leaving her looking like a pathetic hanger on.

Failure to properly show Sakuras feelings changing from Sasuke to Naruto,

The Author failed to showcase more effectively and consistently the change of feelings from Sasuke to Naruto, failed to show the maturing of feelings from childish crush--sasuke-- to mature love --Naruto-- and left Sakura looking manipulative and immature when the opposite was supposed to be happening.

Falure to properly resolve several moments of drama or confession,

The author failed to effectively and consistently resolve several moments of romantic tension and drama in a way that would leave audiences believing in the pairings. Narutos love for Sakura was never resolved in the manga, Sakuras love for Naruto was never resolved, Hinatas confession was never resolved, Karins love for Sasuke--And No it was not some pathetic fangirl crush all comedy aside-- was never properly resolved. Also failure to properly illuminate the reasons for several confessions such as Sakuras in iron country.

this failure of consistency left way too many plotholes and threads hanging in the wind and left readers unsatisfied. Sakuras for example should have been handled in such a way that when Sakura and Naruto were alone later, Naruto would explain that he knows why Sakura did what she did, and Sakura would explain that she only wanted to protect him and that she meant what she said to him. He would understand and say whent his is over lets talk about us ok? she would agree and the story would progress with a  new understanding between them. Character development is positive and the readers can follow things clearly.

Again laziness and failure to consistently follow through on plot elements are what derailed Sakura and Several other characters. Leaving the story in a pretty dark hole.

I disagree with some things about your points because well... 

Sakura's second love confession to Sasuke in 693 actually damaged her character because it regressed her to her part 1 self and the Iron country arc was really bad for her, because it was there where she basically proved the entire anti Sakura fandom right when she  made poor stupid decisions, never made up for it and then even admitted she was useless, going against her whole development in late part 1 and early part 2

And yeah, in the way it was done Sakura marrying Sasuke was also a disservice to her character

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#8 hinataiscreepy

hinataiscreepy

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

Sakura never knowing that it was Naruto who complimented her forehead. This issue should have been resolved.

Kishi obviously based the love triangle from Slam Dunk. Sakuragi (similar to naruto) starts his relationship with Haruko (sakura) based on a lie that he doesn't like basketball. In the end, Sakuragi confesses that he loves basketball (who she is) and this time time he is definitely not lying. The author is saying there can be no true love based on lies and if you don't show your best side.

#9 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:15 AM

Sakura used to be my favorite Naruto Character, yes she was annoying as hell at first but as she got older and matured and especially post-timeskip she became my favorite. That all changed by the time the Naruto Manga ended, Kishimoto just completely shat all over Sakura's character and here are 7 Moments where Sakura's character was derailed the hardest.

1.) Marrying Sasuke and giving birth to Sarada (Somewhere between Chapters 699 and 700): Because nothing says true love than a man who tried to kill you not once, not twice but three times and is clearly only using you to rebuild his clan.

Agree with catsi in that it's culmination of previous choices rather than a genuine derailment. Once Kishimoto committed to it in 693 where else was he going to go? Speaking of that...What the hell Naruto Gaiden? They are married and have been for years. They conceived a kid and I am expected to believe they haven't kissed? While conception doesn't require kissing in any way, it's difficult to buy that when the story sold the relationship the way it did.

WTF?!

2.) The whole Iron Country Arc (Chapters 454-483): The whole kittening thing but most notably her kitten "Confession" and when she offered to betray Konoha and leave with Sasuke. And before anyone says she was lying to lure Sasuke into a false sense of security you forget she not only offered to leave with him when he left Konoha the first time but also when he left to "atone".

I disagree with many NS fans on this because she, without question, used his feeling to manipulate him and it does reflect badly on her. What did she plan on doing if he said yes? At the same time, I understand why she did it. I know I wouldn't want someone I cared about to get killed because of an obligation to me (even if it turned out that she misunderstood this). It's one of the few moments in Part 2 I think better of now simply because both react properly given what they think and believe at the time. They look human. Whether Sakura was over Sasuke or not her motive, clearly, was not simple confessing for its own sake and Naruto knew it.

It sucks that the Last makes Naruto look like a massive hypocrite here (especially since he probably wasn't supposed to be), but then internal consistency is massive problem throughout this story.

3.) Making Naruto promise to bring Sasuke back to Konoha (Chapter 183): Looking back this is where NaruSaku died because this was the moment Naruto gave up.

As with everyone else, I disagree with this. What Naruto did was an act of maturity. He was willing to put her feelings above his own. Was else was he supposed to do? I don't think this is the point where he gave up, but even if he did at some point if your crush isn't going to like you back then you have to grow up and move on. He seemed willing to do that if its what she wanted. Besides, if he gave up in Part 1 it was during the hospital scene.

For Sakura, she does look weak an inept, but it's that weakness that serves of the foundation of her resolve to change, something she actually does. She grows as a characters because of it. It's one of the few times (if not the only) where her growth as a ninja and person is genuine rather than token gestures (like slaying mooks).

4.) Telling Naruto that he only loved her because of his rivalry with Sasuke while also gushing about her love for Sasuke like the pathetic fangirl she is. (The Last: Naruto The Movie)

Disagree with catsi at least as to the specific reason. Author said it's canon, it's canon no matter how awful. That said, if she is right about his feelings who does this say more about: Naruto or Sakura? I see it reflecting more on Naruto.

.) Professing her pathetic undying love for Sasuke not once but twice. (Chapters 181 and 693): It's really kittening pathetic

I have no issue with 181 given how part 1 played was written from the get go. Makes sense and is line with her character at that point. 693 on the other hand...Yikes. That was a genuine derailment as it was basically a massive reset button on everything in between. To supposedly spend all that time growing as a ninja and person only to look as feeble as she did in 181..ouch. What was the point of it all if that is where she ended up? When it really mattered the most she ended being the same person she was in 181.

6.) Screaming "Sasuke-kun!" when Sasuke was about to stab Naruto (Chapter 307): This may not seem like that big of a deal but think about it had Sasuke actually killed Naruto in the next Chapter the last thing Naruto would've ever heard is Sakura shrieking Sasuke's name.

This is a nothing burger. Screaming because she worried for Naruto or wanted Sasuke to stop? Both are ration and unless Kishimoto comes out and says it was meant to show some kind of preference, it's hard to read anything into this when she cared for both.

7.) Asking about Sasuke first when waking up from Sasuke's Genjutsu (Chapter 698): Again this seems like not that big of a deal but think about it one of the last things Sakura heard before Sasuke placed her in a Genjutsu (Which by the way was her seeing him stab her in the kittening chest) was that Sasuke planned to kill Naruto. And who was the first person she asks about when she awakens? kittening Sasuke.

This and point 1 are kind of the same in that they are more the culmination of the derailment rather than the derailment itself. The big disaster in this area was 693. After Kishimoto went and did that, what else did anyone expect? It also has elements of point 6 in that I think you read way too much into this. I don't think it was meant to also serve as a slight on Naruto and I would need Kishimoto openly saying so before I accept it as one.

Let's say it had serve as the break in the SS relationship instead--would it be irrational for her to say Sasuke and meant it more of a "how could you do that to me" or "I can't believe he did that?"

The worst derailment (besides 693 of course) was what he didn't do:

1. Commit to a pairing and not switch gears more than half way through. If he had to this or the story took him places he hadn't intended then when he did change actually spend time developing and justifying it. (Or if you believe what he says spending more time and effort developing the red herring to such a degree you need a movie to fill in the holes).

2. Failing to include Sakura in the main plot to such a degree she was indistinguishable from the Rookie 9 in terms of relevance. She got more screen time, but was about as relevant.

3. Failing to keep up with Naruto and Sasuke, so that by the end she was this story's version of Krillin. Yeah, he was the strongest human, but he was so far behind the Saijin's that it didn't matter. A title without meaning. It was made worse by but the multiple recitations of this goal. Wasn't that the point of the skip, so why is she still complaining about behind so far behind in the last part of the story?

Hey Kishimoto: wailing on mooks doesn't cut it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sakura

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users