• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

For any of you who grew up in the 80's like me, you've gotta remember this staple. (I even had the pajamas, the plastic sword, the bed sheets... all that stuff)

Well, it's getting a facelift.

Thundercats Press Release

#2 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Oh, yeeeees... Thundercats...

I don't know whether feeling expectation or trepidation (Real cat-like characteristics? Ugh!). So I reckon I will limit myself to drown in my childhood memories.

Thundercats Opening

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#3 Guest_New Revolution_*

Guest_New Revolution_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

the good ole days live again

#4 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

OMG!!! Thundercats returning?! wow.png

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#5 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hmm...tried to bring the cartoon back a few times GI Joe with a new updated look, didn't work. Tried to bring Voltron back a few times with a new updated look, didn't work. Tried to bring He-Man back, didn't work. Now Thundercats...*sigh* I hope they have better luck.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#6 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ Jun 3 2010, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm...tried to bring the cartoon back a few times GI Joe with a new updated look, didn't work. Tried to bring Voltron back a few times with a new updated look, didn't work. Tried to bring He-Man back, didn't work. Now Thundercats...*sigh* I hope they have better luck.

He-man worked while it still had a regular time-slot; once they started shifting it around every other week, though, it kinda understandably fizzled. A shame, since it was actually a pretty good version of the show, I thought.

GI Joe... did that ever actually AIR? I know they talked about it a lot, but I never found out if they actually produced episodes for it or just the one mini-series....

Voltron was only 'brought back' the one time so far; now that didn't work, but that was partly because they were trying to make it a crappy CGI sequel, and was victimized by bad writing. They've gone back to the drawing board, and have a new version in the works that will NOT be a crappy CGI sequel... though I think I'll wait a bit before judging on the writing; World Events Productions (Voltron's rights-holders), while an otherwise good company, has HORRIBLE judgement when it comes to selecting writers... as evidenced by the Voltron live-action movie, which has been repeatedly pushed back because the reaction to the leaked scripts was so bad.

It did work for Transformers... for a time, anyway -- once you reimagine a reimagined reimagining of a reimagined universe (all within five years of each other), it starts to suck no matter what. Not to mention that, once returning to the non-CGI format (i.e., post-Beast Wars\Beast Machines, which was pretty hard to follow up on since it was practically Transformers armageddon, there), all of the series re-makes looked like they were trying to be Digimon clones....

Regardless, I think Thundercats has a reasonable chance of succeeding in updated form... as long as they don't try and make the show too 'Edgy' or anything like that.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#7 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

I'm sorry but the show was flat out corny to me, He-Man was tolerable but Thundercats just meh. I always mainly watched: Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, Hulk, Avengers, JL, Ninja Turtles, and Iron Man when growing up. happy.gif

#8 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Jun 3 2010, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry but the show was flat out corny to me, He-Man was tolerable but Thundercats just meh.
Blasphemy >.>

#9 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:10 AM

I'm sorry but the show was flat out corny to me, He-Man was tolerable but Thundercats just meh. I always mainly watched: Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, Hulk, Avengers, JL, Ninja Turtles, and Iron Man when growing up. happy.gif

Those weren't corny either? I remember the old cartoons for those series. EXTREMELY corny, but enjoyable.

#10 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:27 AM

Most of those shows were made more than ten years after Thundercats. In its day, Thundercats was remarkable... but it hasn't aged well because a great many of the commonly used tropes exploited in the show to make it appeal to younger fans (which, in their day, were perfectly fine) now appear incredibly cheesy. Batman was partly responsible for revolutionizing US-made cartoons in a way to remove most of those tropes, and almost all the others you mention (save Ninja Turtles and He-man) were made after Batman.

If you've grown up with those tropes enough to understand why they're there, though, Thundercats is one of the best cartoons of its day.

Edited by desaix, 04 June 2010 - 02:29 AM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#11 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jun 3 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you've grown up with those tropes enough to understand why they're there, though, Thundercats is one of the best cartoons of its day.

Quote for the win a_thumbs.gif

#12 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jun 3 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of those shows were made more than ten years after Thundercats. In its day, Thundercats was remarkable... but it hasn't aged well because a great many of the commonly used tropes exploited in the show to make it appeal to younger fans (which, in their day, were perfectly fine) now appear incredibly cheesy. Batman was partly responsible for revolutionizing US-made cartoons in a way to remove most of those tropes, and almost all the others you mention (save Ninja Turtles and He-man) were made after Batman.

People use the "age" as an excuse all the time, trust me I've seen some of the old original episodes. I'm just simply stating my opinion of it being corny that doesn't imply for everybody's opinion.

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jun 3 2010, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those weren't corny either? I remember the old cartoons for those series. EXTREMELY corny, but enjoyable.

Not to me they weren't, I thought they were awesome in the early mid 90's. happy.gif

Edited by Uzumakikage, 04 June 2010 - 03:21 AM.

#13 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

A lot of it has to do with age. For someone who grew up on cartoons like Thundercats (I'm 27 now), I can't help but think of it fondly. It was my bread and butter back in the day.

Of course I'd snicker after watching an episode of it today, but that's only because my tastes have changed since twenty years ago. That's probably the biggest reason why I'm eager to see the remake, to see how well it is adapted.

#14 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Jun 4 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A lot of it has to do with age. For someone who grew up on cartoons like Thundercats (I'm 27 now), I can't help but think of it fondly. It was my bread and butter back in the day.

Of course I'd snicker after watching an episode of it today, but that's only because my tastes have changed since twenty years ago. That's probably the biggest reason why I'm eager to see the remake, to see how well it is adapted.

Well that's understandable to me if Thundercat's was only one the few shows you had available to watch. happy.gif

Edited by Uzumakikage, 04 June 2010 - 08:44 PM.

#15 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:05 AM

People use the "age" as an excuse all the time, trust me I've seen some of the old original episodes. I'm just simply stating my opinion of it being corny that doesn't imply for everybody's opinion.

Not to me they weren't, I thought they were awesome in the early mid 90's.

Uzumakikage,

Age MATTERS. Often you -and by you I mean "everyone or almost everybody"- diminish or willingly ignore the flaws of the shows you were exposed to first, but you focus on the flaws of the shows you watched later (Believe me, I would know it. I do it).

And sometimes you watch an older show and you love it, in spite of you didn't watch it back when you were a child.

A friend of mine loved X-Men Evolution, but she thought X-Men: The Animated Series was extremely corny (even thought she was exposed to X-Men TAS first). Of course, I am not implying she was right and you wrong. I just use that example for proving it depends heavily on the PoV.

I am twenty-nine and I watched Thundercats in the early nineties, along with several shows you have cited (all of them were aired in the same time on my country), and I loved all of them. Personally I never thought Thundercats was cornier than Iron-Man or Hulk (besides, I have never liked Hulk).

Of course if you think Thundercats wasn't good, that is your opinion and it is perfectly valid. I also dislike some shows everybody seem loving (like Evangelion).

Regardless, I don't think that cartoon hasn't aged well. I think it used common tropes in a fashion was popular back in the eighties (and not so popular nowadays), but it was well done. And it shows.

And I gladly will take a corny show uses the old, good tropes in efficient ways rather many current shows any day.

We will see how successful will be this remake. Some remakes improve the original, and some of them are awful (I still remember that He-Man remake back in the nineties. Unfortunately the brain bleach was unable to purge the memories off my tortured mind. But I have heard the last remake was good, if short-lived). Ninja Turtles's last remake was incredibly good. Transformers TAS has also been good.

Anyways, I wager it will not be so successful how the original series. If shows such like Robotech/Macross or Mazinger-Z have proved something, it is remakes/reruns usually are not so successful like the original show/run. Lightning don't strike twice.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#16 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

Jenskott and I think you can join me with Sakura-sama in saying that the early eighties rocked!

So many shows that are memorable to me. And actually I forgot about the earlier 90s He-Man that they tried to bring out. The New Adventures of He-Man

#17 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

NO NO NO NO NO, DON'T DO THIS. Seriously, I refuse to watch this. They have already raped my childhood memories of the Turtles and the Biker Mice from Mars with the new crap, and now they're going to make more of that stuff? They're going to modernize it, and it will be painful to watch. *shivers*

Seriously, if they touch my SWAT Kats, I'll be forced to kick some corporate ass.

#18 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

I just say this
"Thunder Cats, thunder cats, thunder cats, HO!"
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#19 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

i was about to post bawwing over it being turned into an animu but thankfully i misread the article. a heavy anime-LOOK. OH THANK GOD. I know I would've died alittle inside if I didn't hear the Thunder Cat Call in plain old english

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jun 5 2010, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And sometimes you watch an older show and you love it, in spite of you didn't watch it back when you were a child.

A friend of mine loved X-Men Evolution, but she thought X-Men: The Animated Series was extremely corny (even thought she was exposed to X-Men TAS first). Of course, I am not implying she was right and you wrong. I just use that example for proving it depends heavily on the PoV.

thisthisthis

I rewatched Gargoyles awhile back and, despite it's moments of obvious corn, I loved it

and obviously one has to factor in it's popularity "during its time." I mean you watch an old school horror now you'll complain about its production value and the like, but when it was aired it was amazing

some are even still amazing :o

tl;dr seconding age matters
in other news OMG X-MEN EVO ohboy.png

QUOTE (Vyse @ Jun 5 2010, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, if they touch my SWAT Kats, I'll be forced to kick some corporate ass.

i'd pay to see that. Please touch his SWAT Kats, you corporate bastards you!

#20 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (krisk @ Jun 7 2010, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tl;dr seconding age matters
in other news OMG X-MEN EVO ohboy.png

And that's where some of us differ. I still think Evolution was pure crap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users