Close
Photo

The Great Heaven & Earth Street Fighter IV Tournament!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
218 replies to this topic

#21 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

Welcome, Daniee! biggrin.gif

That'd be cool, if you can record matches. happy.gif I'm planning to do that as well, with my camera. Just have to see if I can set up a nice viewing angle. If we're lucky and Capcom release their tournament patch, I could record all the replays and post them up on here.

OK, I'm thinking about the following rule changes, please let me know if you guys approve!

• Any characters, except for Seth and Gouken.
  • Choose your character before the tournament starts, and stick with him/her all the way through.

That way, it's more like an official tournament? I've been reading about concerns on how Seth and Gouken play, plus if people stick with one character, the emphasis is on how skilled you are with your chosen character, rather than picking one to counter your opponent's choice.

If you guys approve, you can declare which character you'll be using to fight. smile.gif You can do it now, or wait until the day before the tournament (20th March).

Of course, the proposed rule changes won't change what this tournament is all about - having fun! biggrin.gif

#22 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Mar 5 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome, Daniee! biggrin.gif

That'd be cool, if you can record matches. happy.gif I'm planning to do that as well, with my camera. Just have to see if I can set up a nice viewing angle. If we're lucky and Capcom release their tournament patch, I could record all the replays and post them up on here.

OK, I'm thinking about the following rule changes, please let me know if you guys approve!

• Any characters, except for Seth and Gouken.
  • Choose your character before the tournament starts, and stick with him/her all the way through.

That way, it's more like an official tournament? I've been reading about concerns on how Seth and Gouken play, plus if people stick with one character, the emphasis is on how skilled you are with your chosen character, rather than picking one to counter your opponent's choice.

If you guys approve, you can declare which character you'll be using to fight. smile.gif You can do it now, or wait until the day before the tournament (20th March).

Of course, the proposed rule changes won't change what this tournament is all about - having fun! biggrin.gif

And so I will get my copy, this Saturday!!! biggrin.gif Oh happy me!

I guess that means the timer on the character select screen will be on. Damn, we're actually doing it like in the arcades and the official tournaments. Hopefully, that won't be the case. (I wonder when I play against someone who has all the characters at his/her end, does that mean I get all of them unlocked automatically as well, like in DOA?)

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#23 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

Well I don't mind the one character you choose you'll stick with. And if more than two people want the same character they can fight for it? Well at least that's my input. If that's the case I'll choose Akuma.

If anyone else has an opinion go for it.

#24 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

I forgot to post who are my choices... prepare for a list:

Primary: Chun-Li, Cammy, Fei-Long and Gen

Secondary: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sakura, Rose and C. Viper (I had to play her in order to unlock Cammy in the school's console)

latest?cb=20140126021943

#25 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:51 PM

Okay, I'll probably have my ass handed to me 1st round, but it should still be fun to participate, so I'm in! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (True @ Mar 5 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I don't mind the one character you choose you'll stick with. And if more than two people want the same character they can fight for it? Well at least that's my input. If that's the case I'll choose Akuma.

If anyone else has an opinion go for it.

So, if say you want to use Ken and I want to use Ken, you want to fight for the right to use him? I don't like the idea of that. I think that each person should retain the right to use whichever character they want, even if you have the same character as someone else. Because what if you are really comfortable using whichever character that you pick, but then you lose the 'fight' over who gets to use that character. You will already begin the tournament at a disadvantage to that person who took your character, and a disadvantage for all other matches as you'll be forced to use a character that you're not as comfortable with.

And Smiter, could you make that a 2-character rule at least, instead of being able to only choose one character? The whole point of the tournament is to have fun as you said, right. So, having a bit more choice will certainly do that happy.gif

#26 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:08 AM

If its only allowed one character per a person and no one else is allowed to use a character once it has been claimed then dueling for said character is more fair then the 'first come first serve' policy would be. It gives the character to the person who is best with said character. If you lose that character then you just use your next best one.

That's if its going by the one character per a person rule. If its you can pick whoever you want then it doesn't matter and I'm indifferent to it.

#27 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:16 AM

Bite me is I'm wrong but I thought you can use the same character in Street Fighter. like... say... Ken Vs Ken. I don't think choosing the same character is a problem with that. I'm not exactly have much experience with fighting games but I think people have their own style in playing the character, so even if 2 players use the same character, the difference in their style will show the difference between both of them.

Edited by BlackLightning, 06 March 2009 - 12:17 AM.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#28 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Mar 5 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bite me is I'm wrong but I thought you can use the same character in Street Fighter. like... say... Ken Vs Ken. I don't think choosing the same character is a problem with that. I'm not exactly have much experience with fighting games but I think people have their own style in playing the character, so even if 2 players use the same character, the difference in their style will show the difference between both of them.

You expressed what I was thinking perfectly, thank you happy.gif

#29 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Mar 5 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and I agree. And there's a reason why same character matches was introduce back in Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition. Claiming will likely to cause problems, not to mention complaining and whining during a match or selection. So in a tournament, players when advance can either switch or stick to their character.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#30 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

Shauna-chan, you're added. biggrin.gif

When I said one character, I meant one character you'll play as for the whole tournament. It doesn't matter if, say, three people choose to be Ken, as long as they keep playing as Ken for all of their matches. smile.gif If you look at official SF4 tournaments, you'll see players use the same character for all of their matches.

Here's the UK SF4 tournament:

In my case, I shall play as Chun-Li. And I'll stick with her for all of my matches. I'm open-minded towards the 2 character rule, what does everyone think?

Derock, you can't select any characters you haven't unlocked in multiplayer. When someone selects a character you haven't got, all you'll see is a ? avatar until you start the game. Trying to select one of the ?s will only get you a random character out of who you already have.

Great news to hear you're getting a copy. biggrin.gif

#31 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:34 AM

I will be cheering everybody on! biggrin.gif

#32 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:43 AM

Ryu is my best character so I'll use him.

uc.png

#33 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:54 AM

COMPETITION MAKES MY BLOOD BOIIIIIIIIL rawr.gif

This is AWESSOMMMMMMMESAAAAAUCE. D: Kickbutt job with the banner and the idea Smitey xD This is great! AND I WANNA JOIN D:

Though right now, I'm floating with Cloud in our lamer boat on the sidelines =/ I can probably steal my cousin's xbox around spring break! Which means I'll probably HAVE IT DURING THIS DEADLINE! Maybe though arg.gif

Boooo 150 bucks for a xbox ;n;

w/e GO STREET FIGHHHHHHHHHTERRRRRRRS rawr.gif

and lol @ smitey's massive thunder thighs hee

QUOTE (Cloud @ Mar 8 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be cheering everybody on! biggrin.gif

WE'RE CHEERLEADERS!? D8

...bad touch! DX

*sigh* oh well--

GOOOOOO EVERYONE! 8D

#34 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Mar 6 2009, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my case, I shall play as Chun-Li. And I'll stick with her for all of my matches. I'm open-minded towards the 2 character rule, what does everyone think?

I think that's gonna change after our set of matches huh? tongue.gif

I'll most likely use either Akuma or Sakura. Depends on whoever I improve with and create a counter for Cammy before the tournament starts. Good luck fellow fighters!

#35 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:03 AM

I'm so sticking with Cammy! biggrin.gif Anyway, I'm gonna start training in a few...

latest?cb=20140126021943

#36 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE (Derock @ Mar 9 2009, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm so sticking with Cammy! biggrin.gif Anyway, I'm gonna start training in a few...

I just started playing, and am going through the first set of Normal challenges to learn the move sets, and omg trying to figure out what the move sets SAY on my screen is almost darn near impossible >.<

I think that I'm going to have to go to gamefaqs.com to try to figure out what some of these moves are, because I just can not read them and pull them off through the game alone D:

#37 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the cheering, Cloud and krisk. XD

Yeah, I've changed my selection to Cammy, thanks to you True. tongue.gif If it helps your choice, I honestly think you play better as Sakura than as Akuma. Her dashing dragon punches and kicks make her tricky to deal with. Akuma is rather ponderous in comparison to her.

I've added the characters to the list for those who made their firm choices, but anyone is still free to change their minds until the day the tournament starts. happy.gif

Shauna, are you using a standard TV? I heard that Capcom messed up AGAIN and made the text too small to read on SDTVs. DX You'd think they learnt from Dead Rising and Lost Planet... Which character(s) are you trying to use?

#38 GoNeKr@zY

GoNeKr@zY

Now THAT is a Flame War!!!

• ANBU
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,Books, Sci Fiction, etc<br />And Fanfiction........ Loads and loads of Fanfiction.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

As much as i'd love to play in this tournament it looks like i'll have to pass :/
Smitey knows my reasons. rest assured though..... i WILL be present come next round tongue.gif

(however... if by some miracle i do get the game on time for the tournament i'm probably playing as Sagat or one of the shoto characters)

#39 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

Lol, Shauna.

The moves are hard to make out, eh? Forward, forward, back+forward + B. It's like playing Soul Calibur, except I can preform some supers now in that game. biggrin.gif

#40 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Mar 9 2009, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shauna, are you using a standard TV? I heard that Capcom messed up AGAIN and made the text too small to read on SDTVs. DX You'd think they learnt from Dead Rising and Lost Planet... Which character(s) are you trying to use?

That is *exactly* the problem. The text is so dang small it's impossible to read what the dang moves are D:

And I haven't decided which two charrys I'm gonna use yet, but when I do you'll be the first to know tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users