64 replies to this topic

#1 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

This is something that has bothering me for a while. What do you consider a cliche pairing?

To me its the main guy,main girl pairing and the secondary "cool guy" pairing. I know a lot tend to disagree with the secondary cool guy pairing because at least from what i can tell. It rarely in mainstream media which is true compare to the main lead and female lead. But to me it depends, If its a cool guy that tends to be better than the main character and is a pretty boy i still find that as a cliche. That idea has been played around a lot before even if it never gets to the point where the pretty boy/cool guy has actual feelings for the main female lead later on. I even heard a forum member in this site said that in the shojo genre the cool guy always tends to get the main girl meanwhile the main character is a loser. Another cliche would be childhood romance, first love. and (this kinda ties in with the cool guy pairing) its the whole perfect guy that every girl dreams of. 

Whats your opinion?

Edited by rikakim94, 03 September 2014 - 12:41 AM.

#2 Sedna

Sedna

Nostalgic

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Birds.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

It's a pairing that will obviously happen. For example NaLu, GaLe, and JerZa.

#3 elmas

elmas

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

A tsundere girl and stupid energetic boy.

tumblr_nipy94W2uE1tjr97wo2_500.gif

#4 luffyq1

luffyq1

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

Main guy and main girl. Bad boy and good girl. Cliches are everywhere. If it's done well I'll like it, if not then...

Edited by luffyq1, 02 September 2014 - 04:18 PM.

Untitled_zpsbc671263.png

#5 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Main guy (like Naruto) likes a Tsundere heroine (Sakura).

Tsundere likes the cool guy (Sasuke)

Cliché.

Tsundere always being flat chested(Sakura, Taiga, Scarlet and etc...).

SK-303_image007.jpg

#6 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, pretty much what a lot of people here saying. You can also try loser with best friend.

#7 BlazingDynamo

BlazingDynamo

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku playing video games watching Pokemon XY talking to other NS fans

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

Usually in a manga or anime a girl will realize that the bad boy is not worth it then find out the main boy is better but I could be wrong though you never know.

#8 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

Main guy and main girl. Bad boy and good girl. Cliches are everywhere. If it's done well I'll like it, if not then...

Hey luffy! i saw your comment on the digimon anniversary thread And the reason why i mentioned digimon is because recently i found out that director/writer did not want tai and sora together because he thought it was to cliche so he had matt and sora end up together. Do you agree with this? I personality would have agreed with this if matt was not there to make a tai a loser by season 2 or that the fact that matt become a pretty boy rockstar that can swoon a lot of girls i find that to be a common anime cliche.  :sweatdrop:

oh and cliches being everywhere is true even if you try to make it unique as possible there still going to be cliches within that pair.

Edit: Also i agree with most of you about what you said i do find the bad boy cool guy to be a cliche and the main guy main girl.

Edited by rikakim94, 02 September 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#9 Liu bie

Liu bie

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

(School Rumble)Main guy (like Harima) likes  heroine (  like Tenma).

heroine  likes the cool guy (Tsukamoto)

Tenma ends with the cool guy is that cliche?

tumblr_pjk2ly8zId1s1sw7fo5_400.gif

Saintia Sho   :argh: The Gold Saints

#10 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

What do I consider being a cliche pairing? That is an easy question: ANYONE.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is a cliche. Any and all narrative element has been used and overused dozens of times.

I do not care about something being cliche because everything is (hence, I do not get when someone tells "I hate this stuff because it is cliche"). To me, the matter is how the cliche is being handled.

Tsundere always being flat chested(Sakura, Taiga, Scarlet and etc...).

False.

4233_1.jpg

Sayaka Yumi from Mazinger-Z

tumblr_m7aiub8OVN1ro77om.jpg

Jun Hono from Great Mazinger

Lum_invader.jpg

Lum from Urusei Yatsura

madoka_ayukawa_wrestling_by_avispaneitor

Madoka Ayukawa from Kimagure Orange Road (I found an image where you could see her breast size more clearly, but it looked too risque)

image4.png

Asuka Langley Soryu from Evangelion

181197-0kk.jpg

Kaori Makimura from City Hunter

!BqSVnggBmk~$(KGrHqMOKjsEu,I)!t83BLvIi1J

Mari Sakurano from Raideen (pretty funny, one of the characters of this mecha series was named Rei Asuka).

And I have several dozens more of examples of big-chested tsunderes. Not only that, but Sakura is NOT flat-chested. Kishimoto draws her like a B-cup, i. e., the breast size of an average woman (I can not talk about the other characters that you have cited because I do not know them). Being smaller than D-cup is not being flat.

I do not know where you got from the idea of what tsunderes are typically flat-chested but it is utterly and factually false.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#11 elmas

elmas

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

Well usually they are flat chested...

Edited by elmas, 02 September 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#12 luffyq1

luffyq1

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hey luffy! i saw your comment on the digimon anniversary thread And the reason why i mentioned digimon is because recently i found out that director/writer did not want tai and sora together because he thought it was to cliche so he had matt and sora end up together. Do you agree with this? I personality would have agreed with this if matt was not there to make a tai a loser by season 2 or that the fact that matt become a pretty boy rockstar that can swoon a lot of girls i find that to be a common anime cliche.  :sweatdrop:

oh and cliches being everywhere is true even if you try to make it unique as possible there still going to be cliches within that pair.

Edit: Also i agree with most of you about what you said i do find the bad boy cool guy to be a cliche and the main guy main girl.

Yeah I heard about that a while ago. I agree with what he said, but Matt and Sora can be cliche too so he could have paired Tai and Sora up anyway. His reasoning behind Matt and Sora is pretty weak. Tai and Sora felt like a couple going through their usual arguments in the Digimon movie. lol

Untitled_zpsbc671263.png

#13 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

Well usually they are flat chested...

No, they are not.

Nami_timeskip.png

Nami from One Piece.

naruto-tsunade-boobs-3.jpg

Tsunade from Naruto.

KYOKO09.JPG

Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku

Usually either they are buxom or they have a normal chest. Again, I do not get why some people think that smaller than D-cup=flat.

Some tsundere characters complain about having small breasts, but their breast size is perfectly normal and their complains are exclusively due to self-esteem issues.

Akane_Tendo_02.jpg

Akane Tendo from Ranma 1/2. The idiot main character often teases her about her chest, but she looks flat-chested to you?

Come on. Tsunderes always or usually being flat-chested is a nothing but fandom myth what has nothing to do with reality. It is like the "the butler did it" cliche in detective novels. They has barely been used but people is convinced of it is a frequent and overused cliche.

Yeah I heard about that a while ago. I agree with what he said, but Matt and Sora can be cliche too so he could have paired Tai and Sora up anyway. His reasoning behind Matt and Sora is pretty weak. Tai and Sora felt like a couple going through their usual arguments in the Digimon movie. lol

I agree. MattxSora is also pretty cliche.

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#14 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

Yeah i do find matt and sora to be a pretty lacklustered pairing and still a cilche due to matt turning pretty boy and making tai into a loser, however in tv tropes i found out that the pairing did in fact had subtle moments thats evently foreshadowed them getting together in the sequel. As for the movie itself you won't believe what i going tell You.The director/writer didn't even tell his production crew about matt and sora ending up together thats why you see a sora and tai moment in the digimon the movie.  :facepalm:  Not only that but when sora and matt barely interect in the sequal and them kinda acting occ makes it stale.   

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is a cliche. Any and all narrative element has been used and overused dozens of times.

I do not care about something being cliche because everything is (hence, I do not get when someone tells "I hate this stuff because it is cliche"). To me, the matter is how the cliche is being handled.

False.

4233_1.jpg

Sayaka Yumi from Mazinger-Z

tumblr_m7aiub8OVN1ro77om.jpg

Jun Hono from Great Mazinger

Lum_invader.jpg

Lum from Urusei Yatsura

madoka_ayukawa_wrestling_by_avispaneitor

Madoka Ayukawa from Kimagure Orange Road (I found an image where you could see her breast size more clearly, but it looked too risque)

image4.png

Asuka Langley Soryu from Evangelion

181197-0kk.jpg

Kaori Makimura from City Hunter

!BqSVnggBmk~$(KGrHqMOKjsEu,I)!t83BLvIi1J

Mari Sakurano from Raideen (pretty funny, one of the characters of this mecha series was named Rei Asuka).

And I have several dozens more of examples of big-chested tsunderes. Not only that, but Sakura is NOT flat-chested. Kishimoto draws her like a B-cup, i. e., the breast size of an average woman (I can not talk about the other characters that you have cited because I do not know them). Being smaller than D-cup is not being flat.

I do not know where you got from the idea of what tsunderes are typically flat-chested but it is utterly and factually false.

Yeah i do here a lot of common excuses about how people hateing "mostly" main guy and main girl pairings because they are cliche. But they say shy girl ending up with the main guy is not a cliche or a secondary cool guy is not a cliche because it does not happen very often or it dosen't happen at all. which is something i disagree with. Especially the cool guy ending up with the main girl. For me just because it it dosen't happen alot in mainstream media dosen't make it a non cliche it still happens one way or another and still might be cilche elements within that pairing. I even heard that cool guy ending up with the main lead girl is pretty popular in shojo genre.

Edited by rikakim94, 02 September 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#15 elmas

elmas

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

Nami :wibble:  :wibble:  :wibble:

Btw I notice that Nami's boobs got bigger.I need to rewatch OP...

#16 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

Yeah i do here a lot of common excuses about how people hateing "mostly" main guy and main girl pairings because they are cliche. But they say shy girl ending up with the main guy is not a cliche or a secondary cool guy is not a cliche because it does not happen very often or it dosen't happen at all. which is something i disagree with. Especially the cool guy ending up with the main girl. For me just because it it dosen't happen alot in mainstream media dosen't make it a non cliche it still happens one way or another i even heard that cool guy ending up with the main lead girl is pretty popular in shojo genre.

You are right. OF COURSE that it is cliche.

And it happens a lot. The another day I was watching a 80's cartoon named The Adventures of Galaxy Rangers, and the female team member ended up with the cool character, not with the male lead. And have you watched the film Grease? Okay, both were the main characters, but the male lead was your cliche bad boy.

Nami  :wibble:   :wibble:   :wibble:

ani-edgeworth-deskslam.gif

Case closed.

But only in case, I shall present the jury Evidence # 256732265

Cattura2xx.JPG

María Grace Fleed from Grendizer.

#17 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

These two comments are truth. I think people only call something cliche is when it's done poorly. What is most irksome is when the characters so obviously like each other but then the author writes against it to simply avoid being cliche (usually writing into or using another cliche). 

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#18 Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Mother of dragons

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

Cliche in Disney movies: Prince mets Princess and after 2 days they are married.

NH kind of relationship

dumbo-pink-elephants-on-parade1.gif?w=50

queen-harley.tumblr.com

#19 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

Cliche in Disney movies: Prince mets Princess and after 2 days they are married.

NH kind of relationship

It depends on what Disney movie you are watching. You do not find that cliche in Bambi, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland...

Anyway keep in mind what many Disney movies are based on fairy tales (and on ripping anime series off, but we are not going there now). They had that kind of romance since they usually are short tales more interested in telling a good yarn or teaching something than in portraying realistic romances. So Disney can not steer too far away from the source material.

#20 Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Mother of dragons

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

It depends on what Disney movie you are watching. You do not find that cliche in Bambi, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland...

Anyway keep in mind what many Disney movies are based on fairy tales (and on ripping anime series off, but we are not going there now). They had that kind of romance since they usually are short tales more interested in telling a good yarn or teaching something than in portraying realistic romances. So Disney can not steer too far away from the source material.

Bambi, Peter Pan, Alice in wonderland ...are...not...love stories, lmao

the topic says "cliche pairing"

And if we are talking about the original series, is even worse, because they are all creepy, nothing like Disney adaptations, they are a lot different, lmao

dumbo-pink-elephants-on-parade1.gif?w=50

queen-harley.tumblr.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users