• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

The last convo is an excellent lead-in to a Geek post about another aspect my being a Yoko Ono fan. I've talked about how I became a fan of John and Yoko, how they as a couple made a positive impression on my life and also created a revolutionary change in how people viewed what marriage could be- even for my parents generation (those born in the 1930's) I recall having discussions with my mother and even one with my father where they agreed that it was John and Yoko's absolute insistence that their marriage was of equal partners and John's fierce verbal anger when he picked up on anyone treating Yoko as less than him.

When I became a John and Yoko shipper, I shipped them very much as a couple, but as individuals it was Yoko I related to the most. She saw the world even closer to the way I did than John. I loved and still love her feminist songs. She actually wrote the lyrics and music for first rock song overtly about feminism and it's ideals and goals. "Sisters O Sisters"- first publicly performed over a year before the song Helen Reddy sang "I Am Woman" was released as a single. Although I love both songs I find Yoko's overall more joyous and powerful. I vaguely recall hearing it as a kid, my mother watched the Mike Douglas show when I was a kid and in February 1972 John and Yoko cohosted the show for a week (it was a daily afternoon talk show- late morning in some markets, but late afternoon in my town.) One of the three songs Yoko sang during that week was a live version of "Sisters O Sisters". Years later when I became a Yoko fan and first got the tape of the album this song appeared on, I realized I had heard that song somewhere before. I researched and realized it had been on the Mike Douglas show. (Yoko first performed the song at a political rally in October 1971, the album it appeared on came out in June 1972."I Am Woman" was released as a single in December 1972.)

While "I Am Woman" has some great lines- "I am woman, hear me roar in numbers too large to ignore" and the chorus "I am strong, I am invincible, I am Woman" the overall feel is more a sad plea. (when hearing it, it reminds me of all the pain I've endured in my lifetime from sexism and misogyny and all the pain the female friends and relatives of mine have endured from that too. I'll cry from reliving that pain, sometimes, when I listen to that song) "Sisters O Sisters" is more upbeat it's about what we can do within ourselves and in the world.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#22 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 24 2012, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last convo is an excellent lead-in to a Geek post about another aspect my being a Yoko Ono fan. I've talked about how I became a fan of John and Yoko, how they as a couple made a positive impression on my life and also created a revolutionary change in how people viewed what marriage could be- even for my parents generation (those born in the 1930's) I recall having discussions with my mother and even one with my father where they agreed that it was John and Yoko's absolute insistence that their marriage was of equal partners and John's fierce verbal anger when he picked up on anyone treating Yoko as less than him.

When I became a John and Yoko shipper, I shipped them very much as a couple, but as individuals it was Yoko I related to the most. She saw the world even closer to the way I did than John. I loved and still love her feminist songs. She actually wrote the lyrics and music for first rock song overtly about feminism and it's ideals and goals. "Sisters O Sisters"- first publicly performed over a year before the song Helen Reddy sang "I Am Woman" was released as a single. Although I love both songs I find Yoko's overall more joyous and powerful. I vaguely recall hearing it as a kid, my mother watched the Mike Douglas show when I was a kid and in February 1972 John and Yoko cohosted the show for a week (it was a daily afternoon talk show- late morning in some markets, but late afternoon in my town.) One of the three songs Yoko sang during that week was a live version of "Sisters O Sisters". Years later when I became a Yoko fan and first got the tape of the album this song appeared on, I realized I had heard that song somewhere before. I researched and realized it had been on the Mike Douglas show. (Yoko first performed the song at a political rally in October 1971, the album it appeared on came out in June 1972."I Am Woman" was released as a single in December 1972.)

While "I Am Woman" has some great lines- "I am woman, hear me roar in numbers too large to ignore" and the chorus "I am strong, I am invincible, I am Woman" the overall feel is more a sad plea. (when hearing it, it reminds me of all the pain I've endured in my lifetime from sexism and misogyny and all the pain the female friends and relatives of mine have endured from that too. I'll cry from reliving that pain, sometimes, when I listen to that song) "Sisters O Sisters" is more upbeat it's about what we can do within ourselves and in the world.

So is your Marriage like that then? happy.gif

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#23 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Jan 24 2012, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So is your Marriage like that then? happy.gif

Not married, happily single. But I'm sure it helped me in the relationships I've been in- none were horrible because I was cautious about getting involved. I still have positive feelings about my ex boyfriends (as friends), even if only one of them would I consider getting back into a relationship with, if he asked. Only one had any kind of negative break-up, and it was mild compared to what I've seen my friends go through. He cheated and I wrote him an angry letter and told him we were done. A few years later he got back in touch with me via a letter and wanted to just be friends I was cool with that. Then a couple years later I find out through a mutual friend that he's realized he's been gay and just didn't know it until recently. Honestly, that just amused me. I have him friended on live journal. So even that one wasn't that bad.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#24 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:29 AM

Oh okay then. I thought otherwise. Seemed like you were to me smile.gif

Edited by Phantom_999, 25 January 2012 - 03:29 AM.

#25 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Jan 24 2012, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh okay then. I thought otherwise. Seemed like you were to me smile.gif

Maybe because I'm so open and comfortable about being a romantic shipper- that comes from being a geek for so many years and hitting middle age. Especially the later, you hit 40 and you just feel completely comfortable with who you are, and stop worrying about being "weird". You really get it that everyone is weird in some way, and it's their problem if they don't get that. Intellectually, I know from experience you can feel that when you are under 40, but something just kind of shifts inside at 40 and it just no longer bothers you in the least anymore.

#26 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:06 AM

Yeah Maybe that's it. happy.gif So what's your occupation right now?

#27 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Jan 24 2012, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah Maybe that's it. happy.gif So what's your occupation right now?

Librarian.

#28 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 24 2012, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Librarian.

Cool!! I really enjoy occupations with books!! cool.gif

#29 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:06 AM

A subtle element in Naruto that fascinates me is how some of the cultural generations in Naruto mirror those generations in Japan and in the West (at least some of the post WWII generations...) I can recognize the 50's teen cultural generation/my parents cultural generation in Hiruzen, Chiyo, Danzo, etc...., In the Sanin, Sakumo and Dan's generation I recognize the Hippie generation of the late 60's/early 70's, In Minato, Kushina and the rest of the Konoha 11's parent's generation I recognize my own generation. When the story started Kishimoto was closer to Kakashi, Gai, Asuma, Kurenai, Shizune, etc... generation than the Konoha 11 parent's generation, so that's most likely why he first has most of the adults in that generation, and I can see some very vague hints of a parallel to that cultural generation in them. (And Bee in the age set in between those two generations- which would be Kishimoto's own generation. wink.gif. I'm not as deeply familiar with the real world younger cultural generations (not the pop fad aspect, but the generational mindset- worldview, etc...) that would parallel Iruka, Yamato, Anko generation's, then Itachi and Hana, then the Konoha 11 and Sand Sibs generation, and lastly Konohamaru, Moegi, Udon, Inari and Hanabi's generation. (Fugaku Uchiha and the Rain orphan trio would be of the cultural generation just proceeding mine- in the real world- Obama's generation. I know that generation quite well too, and yeah I can see some reflection with the real world generation) so I don't know how well Kishimoto does echoing those younger generations cultural mindset in a subtle way.

#30 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hmm Well I'm sure Kishimoto takes in a lot of historical reference on Japanese culture. but probably they reflect some aspects of other societies too due international relationships and media. smile.gif

Edited by Phantom_999, 17 March 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#31 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

I was thinking about the differences in the way male and female cosplayers act in costume reflects the differences in the way men and women are still socialized to act. Male cosplayers will tend to pose in costumes in fighting poses, and if it's an all male group in a skit the skit will almost always center around the characters fighting. While female cosplayers will either just stand there for pictures (if they are alone) or a "cute" pose connected with the character- often even if they are "crossplaying" (dressed as a male character). If they are with another female or even a male cosplayer they will tend to go to a romantic or friendly pose with the other cosplayer. Female and mixed gender skits also tend to be about family, friendship, romance or sex. Even if the female cosplayers are crossplaying as male characters you'll see this. (in fact, it will tend to go toward yaoi...) While the minority of guys who crossplay as female characters still tend to do "battle poses", and even with another male crossplayer will not do yuri. The times I've seen something going toward yuri cosplaying it was two female cosplayers. Now I've seen a guy cosplayer dressed like Haruka (Sailor Uranus) with female a cosplayer dressed like Michiru (Sailor Neptune) do a passionate kiss for photographers, but not two guys crossplaying- no hugs even.

#32 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

It's an....... Ingrained aspect of our society right to the core. Hard to change. that is without being looked at as "queer" or "abnormal" dry.gif

#33 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Apr 7 2012, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's an....... Ingrained aspect of our society right to the core. Hard to change. that is without being looked at as "queer" or "abnormal" dry.gif

Yeah, it was an interesting observation though, that how even when crossplaying, cosplayers tend to follow their actual gender's socialized actions.

I've even noticed myself doing it (I don't crossplay), but when I'm cosplaying female characters- even tsundere characters I don't tend to do "battle poses" (unless I have a weapon prop) but more feminine or neutral poses. (I cosplay as adult Tsunade and adult Kushina fairly often at anime conventions, for example. When cosplaying Tsunade I tend to do a neutral pose- just standing with arms at the side. When cosplaying Kushina- feminine poses- I have a prop of a realistic baby doll that I made over into baby Naruto- so I cuddle the baby, etc...) I want to try doing more assertive poses now that I'm conscious of it. Tsunade has a distinctive one- the mocking fight pose she confronts part 1 Naruto with. I think I'll practice doing that one before I go to a convention to get it to come naturally to me. I have Mito Uzumaki's two costumes currently in progress. As her older self she doesn't have a non feminine or neutral pose, but I could do a sort of battle ready pose by dong a ninja seal sign with my hands. Kushina's "bloody habanero" pose just feels too over the top for me, but again the ninja seal sign pose would work- especially now with the drawing Kishimoto did for the next Naruto movie. I'm not saying doing feminine poses are bad, just I want to make sure I don't only do those- and the neutral pose makes for a boring picture.

#34 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Yeah it's true, guessing the costumes subconsciously make someone feel more feminine or masculine maybe. But I feel we have to break those gender stereotypes and prejudices.

#35 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

Posted part of this in another thread, but it reminded me of my experiences in other fandoms so I thought I'd write the long version here.

I make it a regular practice to reread manga chapters, and on Naruto it's even more crucial to reread than in many other manga. Kishimoto leaves hints of things to come some times years before it plays out. I often tell people to reread the manga when I see they've been too influenced by the anime adaption or worse fannish misinformation that grew out of the anime adaption and went even more off-kilter. The fannish negative distortion about Sakura is especially bad. It's so far out of whack from even early part 1 Sakura- even a casual rereading of the early chapters should end that for anyone not a rabid Sakura basher. Those nothing can cure.

I've seen this type behavior in other fandoms too, even without shipping, and even without one girl being a tsundere. In Fushigi Yuugi there was a contingent who rabidly and violently hated Miaka, and rabidly loved Yui- when she was doing horrible things to Miaka. They bashed Miaka as "selfish" more interested in Tamahome than saving Yui, never mind Miaka was the polar opposite, never giving up on rescuing and saving Yui, never mind at the end of part 1 Yui calls herself the one that was selfish and wrong, and finally embraces Miaka's attempt to save her. (and in part 2 pays back Miaka's trust and friendship by standing up to those that meant Miaka harm.) This was in the late 1990's fandom- I found it rather disturbing that for no story canon reason a certain number of readers violently hated a heroic female character- my first experience with that level of rabid hatred of females for a female character... even in Ranma 1/2 fandom in the early-mid 90's this wasn't going, even amongst the hardcore Ranma/Shampoo shippers. They'd run down Akane, but in nothing like the extremes that I started seeing in fandoms across the board starting around 1997.

I hadn't seen such a level of hatred directed against a woman in a fandom outside of the racist and sexist hatred directed against Yoko Ono. And even then, hatred with a violent physical threatening tone was seen as something only a severely and dangerously mentally ill person that should be safely locked away in an institution would say.

I think this may be another factor of the backlash against liberalism, and especially feminism that started in the early 1980's. The late 1990's would be at the point that the first generation that grew up fully under the backlash would have become involved in fandoms.... A certain percentage would have been so brainwashed by what they had heard all their lives that any female who had a major role and wasn't absolutely worshipful and taking a subordinate role they hated with a violent passion. (I've interacted with some of these women in other fandoms, and some are definitely severely mentally ill, most, I think, from seeing them in non fandom contexts, are just so brainwashed they dislike anything that challenges the brainwashing- thus the enthusiastic embrace of the new hot book- 50 shades of grey. The woman in it is basically Bella from Twilight a bit older. She passively lets herself be induced into the world of S&M by her superior at work- a domineering alpha male businessman. How sad.

#36 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ May 16 2012, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this may be another factor of the backlash against liberalism, and especially feminism that started in the early 1980's. The late 1990's would be at the point that the first generation that grew up fully under the backlash would have become involved in fandoms.... A certain percentage would have been so brainwashed by what they had heard all their lives that any female who had a major role and wasn't absolutely worshipful and taking a subordinate role they hated with a violent passion. (I've interacted with some of these women in other fandoms, and some are definitely severely mentally ill, most, I think, from seeing them in non fandom contexts, are just so brainwashed they dislike anything that challenges the brainwashing- thus the enthusiastic embrace of the new hot book- 50 shades of grey. The woman in it is basically Bella from Twilight a bit older. She passively lets herself be induced into the world of S&M by her superior at work- a domineering alpha male businessman. How sad.

Gah - that 50 shades of grey.

It is disconcerting to see it trumped in the media as S&M for the suburban mom. I wonder if it's not so much the women reading it, as it is the media latching on to something titillating and running with it. Because it's depressing to think that we've come so far to have a reworked Twilight fanfic become a best-seller.

It's poorly written, and the topic — a passive college virgin paired with a young alpha businessman — is as stale as three-day-old french bread.

I would never begrudge a fellow fanfic writer their due, and I don't think it's a mistake or an anomaly that she's gotten published. She has a formulaic book about a sexy topic. Tie-ins with the Twilight and fanfic community don't hurt, either.

On the publishing side, yes she has a bankable book. But I think on the publicity side, they are going after a trite view just to have news bytes. And it's hard to get pulse on women's movements when viewed through the lens of morning chat shows and SNL skits.

It's not the topic that's offensive to me. (The women who are oohing and aahing over it probably don't realize that you can pick up the same type of quick-to-deliver smut in any walmart or grocery store bodice-ripping romance novel.)

Nor do I care about the woman who wrote it or the women who buy it. The fact that a female author and her female readership can cause such great waves is actually a huge triumph in in the spectrum of published works where "Anonymous" has almost always been a woman.

My problem is the subtle denigration of women through the media coverage of this book. It allows people (men and women) to glorify a sex story about submission. And yeah, brainwashing is a good term. Because women and writers will now look at the popularity of the book as some sort of stamp of approval. And the echo chamber of the media only amplifies those messages.

Another current example is the Time magazine cover on attachment parenting (nursing mom shown on the cover). Regardless of your views on any aspect of it, the media has given themselves cart-blanche to talk about women's boobs. "Knack-knackers," "milk jugs," and "swinging from the milky vines" as one columnist put it. Nice. Instead of a conversation about the changing role of parenting, or the implied target of Time magazine's header "Are you mom enough" (aiming at the sharp division between working moms and stay-at-home moms, of which attachment parents are more often in the latter), writers/pundits are slipping in little pithy remarks about boobs. Ta-tas.

It's so offensive, and I sometimes wonder if women even realize it. And I wonder if the same writers/columnists/pundits would make a wealth of penis jokes about erectile dysfuntion or some other serious male topic if the situation was reversed. The quick answer is no. Because women's boobs are objectified and glorified. Right beside the Time mag cover that people claim is so offensive are plenty of other Cosmo, etc., covers with chesty girls all over them. We are trained to see boobs as beauty images. Not as a functioning teat.

As women and feminists, we have to constantly cull those messages. Whether it's airbrushing of models in magazines aimed at teen/preteen girls, parenting issue as a vehicle for boob jokes or glorification of submission.

Sometimes I worry that we're just zooming headlong into the future of the movie "Idiocracy." Where clothing is simpling branding, Brawndo sports drink has replaced water, the Secretary of State is brought to you by Carl's Jr, and the most popular tv show is "Ow, My Balls!"

smile.gif Can you tell I feel strongly about all this too! Sorry to just burst into your blog with my hopefully-non-ranty rant. But yeah, I get where you're coming from. And seeing any female bashing is always distressing. I think feminism, like peace, is something that can be easily taken for granted — and lost if you don't work hard to preserve it.

edit: Although, that 50 shades of grey book does give me hope! I could change the names of Katsuro/Naruto and Sakura and have a best seller! laugh.gif Saruto and Nakura, ftw!

Edited by tricksie, 16 May 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#37 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Doesn't bother me at all that you commented here. smile.gif I was so glad to see saw the connection between the Newsweek cover and the Time magazine cover, both are indeed about objectifying women, and trying to sexually objectify, minimize, or kill feminism. Newsweek and Time were pulling stunts like that even in the peak of the second wave of feminism. The difference back then was that the women's movement was powerful enough to immediately strike back with a mocking response in the media. The backlash created a system were they could keep real liberal voices out of the mainstream media. NOW does have a good article on their website that takes down both the Newsweek cover and the book 50 shades of grey. Other feminist blogs have done likewise, plus addressed the lets reflame the "mommy wars" Time magazine.

The book is being hyped by Newsweek because it fits into their long term objective of undermining feminism. Kate Roiphe has been their go-to antifeminist since the 1980's when she was spewing hatred at female rape victims for reporting the crime. One wonders what caused Roiphe to be so messed up. Her mother was an now obscure second wave feminist and she has a sister who is a quiet supporter of feminism and other liberal causes.

Women authors do appear on a relatively regular basis at the top of the best seller list, fiction more so than nonfiction and still far less than male authors, but the wall was partly smashed down by the second wave of feminism. One doesn't have to fit the expected role to have a best seller, but certain parts of the mainstream media will only publicize books by women that do. That's where the point of focus needs to be- the mainstream media, it's not just the right wing media. Call out this objectifying.

#38 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

Naruto related geekery this time. The Road to Ninja sketches for Sakura's parents noted their heights. That point made me what the average heights for adult male and female characters in Naruto were. I knew Mebuki would be extremely tall for a female (she's now the tallest female at 172.5 cm/67.9 in), while Kizashi- although definitely tall, is not even close to the tallest male (he's 184.5 cm/72.6 in).

Here are the averages:

Females- 163.4 cm/64.3 in
Males- 179 cm/70.5 in

The characters that are the closest to those averages are Tsunade and Minato.

#39 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Finally got caught up on Doctor Who episodes. And I loved "The Wedding of RiverSong". I'd already been partly won over to 11th Doctor/Riversong and that episode just totally won me over. The Doctor's words to Riversong at the impromptu wedding just made me tear-up. Glad Riversong will be coming back for episode 5 of the upcoming series (season) 7. Although I'm a little afraid she'll be brought back just to be killed off for good (as enjoyable as Amy and Rory are I don't feel that sad about them likely being killed off at the end of episode 5- according to rumors. I do think they've been developed as far as they can. Riversong, on the other hand, I think has more "life" in her.)

#40 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

Been scouting around Dr Who fandom and blithely ignoring all the Riversong hate now that I've seen the character's story arc, frankly I think she's the best companion the Doctor has had, she's clearly his equal, etc...

Been looking at the fun rumors concerning Riversong, and by far the most popular rumor- with enough plot evidence to make it a distinct possibility is that River is pregnant (was in early pregnancy when they fought the Silence- of all the characters that saw the Silence on the episode only Amy and River threw up, and this is when Amy discovers she is pregnant, River hides the fact she was throwing up from everyone.) . This event happens in River's mixed up timeline just shortly before she is saved by the 10th Doctor in the Library. The rumor has heated up since the release of the pictures of River Song in her Season 7 appearance. (People think the book Amy and the Doctor are reading,, and Amy's ability to bring people back triggers River Song to somehow end up in 1938 NYC masquerading as a person with the same name as the title character of the novel Amy and the Doctor are reading. Amy, Rory and the Doctor end up in the same place because of the weeping angels. What is adding more fuel to the River pregnant by the Doctor rumors is her dress and appearance in the episode- not the funny, sexy strong willed River we are used to, but a more solemn, and perhaps a bit fearful, woman who conceals her body under a trench coat and wears a black shapeless tunic underneath the coat. Her facial appearance as well is a bit sickly looking as well, like a woman having a bit of a rough pregnancy would look....

http://www.themarysu...er-season-7.jpg

http://www.themarysu...g-river-amy.jpg

Makes for an exciting rumor, whether it's true or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users