#53821 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 01:33 AM

If you DID CONVERT what would your logic be? :hehehe:

Well, I was originally a NH fan at first. Like many NH fans, I thought Sakura was too mean, but after about the time of Heaven and Earth bridge I changed. The original reason was because Naruto and Hinata seemed like an idealistic romance, but after a while was way too fake to really be meaningful. 

You think you want an idealistic romance and instead what you really want is real romance. 

Hinata was too idealistic and created too many issues. With that being said, her last true self was her Pain Arc Confession. Pain didn't just die, her entire character was killed and what was left was a zombie that said "Naruto-kun" instead of brains. 

No amount of "scenes" of them together helps them. It just feel shoehorned.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 27 May 2022 - 12:12 AM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#53822 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 04:52 PM

It’s ironic though. By the time of the Heaven and Earth bridge part of the story Hinata only had one scene with Naruto after the time skip and it was just fainting again when he was in her proximity. Sakura on the other hand, asked Naruto if she looked more like a woman (In a non-platonic manner might I add), learns about Naruto’s biggest secret straight from the horse’s mouth, vows to protect Naruto as much as she wants to rescue Sasuke, cried and showed concern over how Naruto will die if he loses the Nine Tails, snaps him out of shock with that Genjutsu The fake Itachi put on him etc. etc. and in general was far kinder and more patient with him. A far cry from the mean b* Sasuke fangirl she was at the beginning It was really a delight for me to watch back then when I first saw it. Don't get me wrong Hinata wouldn't have been a bad choice at all, objectively, if they had more moments together and she had more personality going for her than " N-Naruto-kun."But we really did not get more than that, now did we? Not to mention with how easily Naruto ghosts her when he's not on missions, it's clear human behavior he's not interested. 

Edited by Phantom_999, 27 May 2022 - 10:45 AM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#53823 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 04:23 PM

Well, I was originally a NH fan at first. Like many NH fans, I thought Sakura was too mean, but after about the time of Heaven and Earth bridge I changed. The original reason was because Naruto and Hinata seemed like an idealistic romance, but after a while was way too fake to really be meaningful. 

You think you want an idealistic romance and instead what you really want is real romance. 

Hinata was too idealistic and created too many issues. With that being said, her last true self was her Pain Arc Confession. Pain didn't just die, her entire character was killed and what was left was a zombie that said "Naruto-kun" instead of brains. 

No amount of "scenes" of them together helps them. It just feel shoehorned.

At the time of the ending, I just didn't care. Naruto had long since went downhill with it's war arc, and I just had a sense of apathy towards it. Like, introducing new characters in the manga only to fuel filler episodes in the anime I didn't watch? Don't care. The Uzumaki clan being treated like this legendary faction intimately tied to Konoha yet no one had ever even hinted at such a thing beforehand? Lame. Ditching the villain that you've built up for one pulled out of your ass because you realize you made him too powerful to stop? Insulting Kishimoto, insulting. Past messages and morals being thrown in the garbage for out of nowhere powerups? You get the idea.

The last third of Naruto is, quite frankly, atrocious in terms of characters, worldbuilding, even the powerlevels going to DBZ-levels. Remember the fight between Kakashi and Zabuza, which was a match of high ranking Jonin? Looks tame compared to how the series ended up. Naruto was just a cash cow, one I was happy to see over.

Then I heard about The Last, and what it did. How Hinata was made out to be the most important person in Naruto's life, undermining his relationship with his emo boyfriend and wrecking his character. That is what made me hate Hinata.

iSP2FNe.png

Just making your day a little brighter.

#53824 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 08:53 PM

Then I heard about The Last, and what it did. How Hinata was made out to be the most important person in Naruto's life, undermining his relationship with his emo boyfriend and wrecking his character. That is what made me hate Hinata.

I came to hate her too, more though because of her fanatic fanbase who helped her get the "status" she didn't need.

#53825 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 08:56 PM

It’s ironic though. By the time of the Heaven and Earth bridge part of the story Hinata only had one scene with Naruto after the time skip and it was just fainting again when he was in her proximity. Sakura on the other hand, asked Naruto if she looked more like a woman (In a non-platonic manner might I add), learns about Naruto’s biggest secret straight from the horse’s mouth, vows to protect Naruto as much as she wants to rescue Sasuke, cried and showed concern over how Naruto will die if he loses the Nine Tails, snaps him out of shock with that Genjutsu The fake Itachi put on him etc. etc. and in general was far kinder and more patient with him. A far cry from the mean b* Sasuke fangirl she was at the beginning It was really a delight for me to watch back then when I first saw it. Don't get me wrong Hinata wouldn't have been a bad choice at all, objectively, if they had more moments together and she had more personality going for her than " N-Naruto-kun."But we really did not get more than that, now did we? Not to mention with how easily Naruto ghosts her when he's not on missions, it's clear human behavior he's not interested.

Well said, Phantom, well said! Too bad NH fanatics don't get Naruto had NO interest in Hinata until he was forced to thanks to the crap writing of The Last and the NH community's fanaticism about their princess when they often live vicariously through her or Naruto. XP

#53826 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 02:25 AM

At the time of the ending, I just didn't care. Naruto had long since went downhill with it's war arc, and I just had a sense of apathy towards it. Like, introducing new characters in the manga only to fuel filler episodes in the anime I didn't watch? Don't care. The Uzumaki clan being treated like this legendary faction intimately tied to Konoha yet no one had ever even hinted at such a thing beforehand? Lame. Ditching the villain that you've built up for one pulled out of your ass because you realize you made him too powerful to stop? Insulting Kishimoto, insulting. Past messages and morals being thrown in the garbage for out of nowhere powerups? You get the idea.

The last third of Naruto is, quite frankly, atrocious in terms of characters, worldbuilding, even the powerlevels going to DBZ-levels. Remember the fight between Kakashi and Zabuza, which was a match of high ranking Jonin? Looks tame compared to how the series ended up. Naruto was just a cash cow, one I was happy to see over.

Well all of that was established LOOOONG before the ending. admittedly though Naruto marrying Sakura WOULDN'T have destroyed his character, now would it? I've already admitted that pairings were the least of my problems with the series now, but as I've said before "The Last was" a kittening pathetic excuse for an attempt to try gaslight fans that That Hinata was not only Naruto's one true love but also the person most important to him, period. THAT is what is so insulting. By the the time of the ending all of the writing problems were beyond apparent so you either stuck around to witness its ending or you stopped reading/watching it all together. And let's not forget while we shouldn't make a big deal for romantic pairings in comparison to the world building characters and plot, the entire premise of the series was desecrated for romantic pairngs

Edited by Phantom_999, 28 May 2022 - 02:26 AM.

#53827 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 04:04 AM

Well all of that was established LOOOONG before the ending. admittedly though Naruto marrying Sakura WOULDN'T have destroyed his character, now would it? I've already admitted that pairings were the least of my problems with the series now, but as I've said before "The Last was" a kittening pathetic excuse for an attempt to try gaslight fans that That Hinata was not only Naruto's one true love but also the person most important to him, period. THAT is what is so insulting. By the the time of the ending all of the writing problems were beyond apparent so you either stuck around to witness its ending or you stopped reading/watching it all together. And let's not forget while we shouldn't make a big deal for romantic pairings in comparison to the world building characters and plot, the entire premise of the series was desecrated for romantic pairngs

I have similar feelings, except for the first true love part. Whether she was his first true love or not doesn’t bother me. It’s what they had to do to get there that does. Aside from the scarf thing (which he I guess he forgot for the entirety of the manga’s duration), it’s now officially canon that he didn’t know what romantic love was and initially viewed it the same as him love for ramen.  That is real hard to reconcile with everything he does in Part 1. What was worse is that his pursuit of her in Part 1 gets rewritten as a component of her rivalry, which makes him look like an ass. Those moments of maturity in Chapter 3, the hospital scene, and the promise of a life time are completely recontextualized because of this.

Those seems need him to have at least a basic understanding of romantic love to work. It doesn’t even matter how the pairing shake out from that, rewriting his pursuit as just another point in his rivalry makes him look like an kitten and suggests he cared more about screwing Sasuke than he did about Sakura’s feelings, which is in direct contrast to how those scenes were written. How can he empathize with Sakura’s own desires and unrequited (at the time) love for Sasuke if he doesn’t understand what romantic love is?

The Last craps on some of his best moments as a character in order to make sure Hinata is the first love. They could have had him be mature like when he was twelve and had him move on. It had been two years with no movement from either Naruto or Sakura. People move on and feelings change. That’s all they had to do.

I share most of Nature’s feelings. I disliked almost everything post-pain and did so to such a degree that I just no longer cared. The pairings didn’t matter. I can’t say I ever hated Hinata. I just find her boring and I’m not a huge fan of her character type in Shounen settings. Her existence as a satellite character who largely marked time didn’t help matters. 

#53828 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:37 PM

Right. That movie TRIED to GASLIGHT fans into thinking Hinata was Naruto's first and only love. Everything that was destroyed about Naruto's character and his motivations regarding that was the byproduct, aftereffect and consequence of it. I'm also not so insulted by Hinata being forced into the position of Naruto's soulmate as much as I am insulted that they had to make Naruto seem exactly like Goku in terms understanding love and romance and that in turn destroys his most admirable and sympathetic qualities and character as you've already listed. The POAL, and understanding Sakura's feelings for Sasuke and why he was motivated for her sake both require that Naruto HAS to understand the implications of love and romance for those to function, but again Hinata has to be his soulmate and the movie doesn't want to treat her like a second love or silver medal. Hence the attempted gaslighting Naruto is a love ignorant buffoon, and make his promise to Sakura completely selfish and self-serving. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Phantom_999, 28 May 2022 - 03:47 PM.

#53829 Illnevergiveup3

Illnevergiveup3

My Brittney-Chan. The girl I love with all my heart and always w

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Interests:winning the girl I love heart, making it to the NBA and taking care of my family.

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:47 PM

so, if Naruto didnt understand love then, how did he all of a sudden understand love when it came to Hinata?

Superman_over_earth_500x400.jpg

I wish I could have the powers of Superman so I could save protect the world under God's will.

Always have the spirit and the guts to never ever give up no matter what.

#53830 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:49 PM

Right. That movie TRIED to GASLIGHT fans into thinking Hinata was Naruto's first and only love. Everything that was destroyed about Naruto's character and his motivations regarding that was the byproduct, aftereffect and consequence of it. I'm also not so insulted by Hinata being forced into the position of Naruto's soulmate as much as I am insulted that they had to make Naruto seem exactly like Goku in terms understanding love and romance and that in turn destroys all of his most admirable and sympathetic qualities and character as you've already listed. The POAL, rescuing Sasukeand understanding Sakura's feelings for Sasuke all require that Naruto HAS to understand the implications of love romance and relationships for those to function, but again Hinata has to be his soulmate and the movie doesn't want to treat her like a second love or silver medal. Hence the attempted gaslighting Naruto is a love ignorant buffoon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And yet we saw that Goku grew to understand love, flaws and all, in spite of trying to make him seem like he doesn't in Super now and then. And the fact The Last was so petty to do that to Naruto, to say he doesn't understand love when his loneliness always made him sympathetic to others...

That just crossed the line for me and made me so mad, just because Hinata had to be Narutos first choice rather than having her be second, which she really was and still remains, and all that shows too in stuff like the Gauden when Naruto WILLINGLY AVOIDS a bento from Hinata that Boruto was going to give him, but readily accepts it when Sarada and Chocho show up with it.

It just cements to me how Naruto avoids his family because of the misfortune he has had because of them. At least for Goku, fir his flaws, he's been there when he can for his family, and that even if it isn't said aloud anymore, a big reason he keeps training besides his Saiyan nature is how Goku wants to have the power to keep his family safe.

Edited by Bryon_Konoha_Ninja, 28 May 2022 - 03:50 PM.

#53831 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:50 PM

so, if Naruto didnt understand love then, how did he all of a sudden understand love when it came to Hinata?

EXACTLY! It just shows how stupid it all is, with the BS excuses.

#53832 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 05:02 PM

He didn’t, hence the genjutsu. Again should even Hinata fans be satisfied with that movie? That movie shows anything BUT Naruto loving Hinata as a person, he only felt obligated to return her feelings if he did not actually feel anything until that genjutsu. That is not romance. It was a cheap cop out to ATTEMPT to be romantic. I’m saying this objectively, that movie insults any romantic love Naruto was supposed to have with Hinata. I stand by my word, I am a fan of the story before I am a shipping fan and any agruments I make for Sakura applies to Hinata too, no exceptions. If Naruto and Hinata were actually in love, Hinata would show moments of genuine love like supporting Naruto in his goal of rescuing Sasuke or showing support of his dream to be Hokage, and Naruto would show appreciation for her kindness. Nothing of the sort happened. Hinata being shy is not an excuse, I’ve seen many shy characters in manga and anime do romantic gestures or support their love interests however small it may be. Hinata did nothing. I’ll be be perfectly honest if Hinata fans are so insistent Naruto is not a romance manga to denounce Naruto and Sakura’s relationship, here they are. Naruto is a narcissist that doesn’t know what love is so he was never in love with Hinata either. He was GUILT TRIPPED into marrying her. I hope they are happy with this, because I’m not

#53833 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 06:35 PM

In canon? When Sakura explained it to him in the Last. Was it believable? I don’t think so, but that’s because earlier writing established that he, at least intuitively, understood that. Having it explained to him in that way and then understanding it isn’t, by itself, terrible. It flops in the Last because of what came before it in the manga. It ignores established character development. I do not know if he if the Goku/Chich marriage scene was being referenced (or what inspired it), but given Kishi’s affinity for DB it wouldn’t shock me if that were the case.

But the tone of DB is different as is the tone of the Goku/ChiChi. In addition, as I said in my last post, there was development, particularly in Part 1, that indicated he does understand romantic love. The chapters that demonstrate this are the other reason why the scene is such an issue because if he doesn’t what exactly is he doing and what is driving them in early chapters? The rivalry comment by Sakura answers that question, but does so in a way that Naruto look pretty crappy. Honestly, no clean resolution between the Last and Part 1 exists. Naruto is a different character than Goku with a different story and those differences are why such a thing worked for one couple and not the other.

This is the one point where I feel a little sympathy for writers (IIRC Kishimoto didn’t; write but oversaw it). They had 90-120 minutes to deal with any lingering feelings for Sakura, established that he liked Hinata romantically, end with a wedding, and deal with the plot involving the villain. That is not a lot of time to do that, let alone do it well.

Kishimoto not doing the doing the first two things before the end really puts the writer in the Last behind the 8-ball. At least with SS, it left off an interaction that hinted Sasuke was starting to return those feelings.NH did not do that. If nothing else, its clear the writers didn’t think the manga effectively did any of that for NH because the scarf retcon and the this scene are not needed if it had. The movie format has its positives as a medium, but it can be extremely constraining in terms of story telling unless you do something like what Marvel did with the Inifinity Saga. Force all those plots threads into a two hours movie and you get something closer to Joss Wheadon’s Justice League. 

And yet we saw that Goku grew to understand love, flaws and all, in spite of trying to make him seem like he doesn't in Super now and then. And the fact The Last was so petty to do that to Naruto, to say he doesn't understand love when his loneliness always made him sympathetic to others...

I dunno, Super absolutely dips into this well at least once to make a joke at Goku’s expense. It was unfortunate too, as that joke was mildly funny and could have been made without completely clubbing him with the idiot ball. 

He didn’t, hence the genjutsu. Again should even Hinata fans be satisfied with that movie? That movie shows anything BUT Naruto loving Hinata as a person, he only felt obligated to return her feelings if he did not actually feel anything until that genjutsu. That is not romance. It was a cheap cop out to ATTEMPT to be romantic. I’m saying this objectively, that movie insults any romantic love Naruto was supposed to have with Hinata. I stand by my word, I am a fan of the story before I am a shipping fan and any agruments I make for Sakura applies to Hinata too, no exceptions. If Naruto and Hinata were actually in love, Hinata would show moments of genuine love like supporting Naruto in his goal of rescuing Sasuke or showing support of his dream to be Hokage, and Naruto would show appreciation for her kindness. Nothing of the sort happened. Hinata being shy is not an excuse, I’ve seen many shy characters in manga and anime do romantic gestures or support their love interests however small it may be. Hinata did nothing. I’ll be be perfectly honest if Hinata fans are so insistent Naruto is not a romance manga to denounce Naruto and Sakura’s relationship, here they are. Naruto is a narcissist that doesn’t know what love is so he was never in love with Hinata either. He was GUILT TRIPPED into marrying her. I hope they are happy with this, because I’m not

I don’t know that I see Naruto as a narcissist. I see him as a broken character whose writings is inconsistent. I think many of the negative connotations that the ending of the manga and Last give are not intentional, but the result of either not thinking certain things through or not caring about internal consistency. Ending Naruto is supposed to look like an idealist who is able to implement those ideas through the force of well, not a shallow and naive dipkitten who appears to gloss over mass murder because Naruto has to redeem everyone even the irredeemable.

He ends up looking like the latter because of the great lengths that the story goes through to protect him. He looks like a stupid and insensitive kitten because the story wants Hinata to be his first love. Realistically, that ship sailed in Part 1. I don’t think that any of that is intended. Other characters sure don’t act like they think those things.

This is why, now, I view him as broken. He’s not supposed to look like crappy person, and in official canon he is not. But poor writing leaves way to many “what the hell” moments that sure leave that impression. 

#53834 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 09:25 AM

In the end, Phantom, HOW it happened doesn't matter to many Hinata fans, it's just that they "won". And the fact is, even when married, Hinata doesn't still know the real Naruto, or believe in him like you would think she would since she got what she wanted, even if she really didn't deserve it. That's what especially pisses me off, on top of trying to justify Naruto not having interest in Hinata by saying he doesn't understand love or romance when he DID, as well as trying to belittle his feelings for Sakura just to get her out of the way and basically show that Naruto as you put it so well was guilt tripped into being with HInata.

It also shows the fact Hinata fans, and often NaruHina fans, are hypocrites because they're happy they "won" because it was about them, not about what the story said and showed. It just was about victory over us because of how shallow and pathetic they happen to be.

#53835 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 02:20 PM

Well, I'm done. I think it's time to close the curtains on this place. The site feels like it's just stuck in the past. with the same discussions and talking points on an endless loop. I can't say that I knew many of you very well, and I know I came off as a massive jerk at times. But the past is the past and I can't change that. So, for what it is, I offer my appologies to being such a jerk in the past. Naruto ended what feels like a lifetime ago to me, and I think it's time to just let it sit and fester in the past wherei t belongs. It was a strong influence to me, and inspired most of my writing up until now. But after receicving such a massive blow to my morale for writing stories, I think I'm calling it quits. I need to move on and find my own niche.

So, this is good-bye. I keep coming back to this site out of habit, but there's little to nothing for me here anymore. Habits die hard, but I need to move on. If, for whatever reason, you'd like to stay in touch just shoot me a PM. We'll figue something out from there. 

Thanks for all the memories, H&E. 

#53836 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 07:11 PM

I don’t know that I see Naruto as a narcissist. I see him as a broken character whose writings is inconsistent. I think many of the negative connotations that the ending of the manga and Last give are not intentional, but the result of either not thinking certain things through or not caring about internal consistency. Ending Naruto is supposed to look like an idealist who is able to implement those ideas through the force of well, not a shallow and naive dipkitten who appears to gloss over mass murder because Naruto has to redeem everyone even the irredeemable.

He ends up looking like the latter because of the great lengths that the story goes through to protect him. He looks like a stupid and insensitive kitten because the story wants Hinata to be his first love. Realistically, that ship sailed in Part 1. I don’t think that any of that is intended. Other characters sure don’t act like they think those things.

This is why, now, I view him as broken. He’s not supposed to look like crappy person, and in official canon he is not. But poor writing leaves way to many “what the hell” moments that sure leave that impression. 

Oh, I'm well aware of it. I know the message was not at all intended as that, but again what was destroyed about Naruto's character even if not intended can't really be changed. As you've said everything about Naruto's poal to Sakura and drive to rescue Sasuke was re-contextualized with Naruto being ignorant about love, in every worst possible way.

Edited by Phantom_999, 02 July 2022 - 02:07 PM.

#53837 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 07:18 PM

Oh, I'm well aware of it. I know the message was not at all intended as that, but again what was destroyed about Naruto's character even if not intended can't really be changed. As you've said everything about Naruto's poal to Sakura and drive to rescue Sasuke was re-contextualized with Naruto being ignorant about love, and it wasn't in a good way at all.

Exactly. It also does that to stuff like Naruto helping Zabuza as well as Gaara too.

#53838 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 02:56 PM

I don't blame you. I lost faith a little later, but a part of me wanted to believe the ending would make up for it. Now it just amplifies what is wrong with the series in its entirely. It seemed like they started making it more like Dragonball Z with Madara pulling meteors out of the sky.

Well, I'm done. I think it's time to close the curtains on this place. The site feels like it's just stuck in the past. with the same discussions and talking points on an endless loop. I can't say that I knew many of you very well, and I know I came off as a massive jerk at times. But the past is the past and I can't change that. So, for what it is, I offer my appologies to being such a jerk in the past. Naruto ended what feels like a lifetime ago to me, and I think it's time to just let it sit and fester in the past wherei t belongs. It was a strong influence to me, and inspired most of my writing up until now. But after receicving such a massive blow to my morale for writing stories, I think I'm calling it quits. I need to move on and find my own niche.

So, this is good-bye. I keep coming back to this site out of habit, but there's little to nothing for me here anymore. Habits die hard, but I need to move on. If, for whatever reason, you'd like to stay in touch just shoot me a PM. We'll figue something out from there. 

Thanks for all the memories, H&E. 

See you, Space Cowvboy

Actually, I love being stuck in the past because it is alot more fun than what the future holds. We have better music too.

In canon? When Sakura explained it to him in the Last. Was it believable? I don’t think so, but that’s because earlier writing established that he, at least intuitively, understood that. Having it explained to him in that way and then understanding it isn’t, by itself, terrible. It flops in the Last because of what came before it in the manga. It ignores established character development. I do not know if he if the Goku/Chich marriage scene was being referenced (or what inspired it), but given Kishi’s affinity for DB it wouldn’t shock me if that were the case.

But the tone of DB is different as is the tone of the Goku/ChiChi. In addition, as I said in my last post, there was development, particularly in Part 1, that indicated he does understand romantic love. The chapters that demonstrate this are the other reason why the scene is such an issue because if he doesn’t what exactly is he doing and what is driving them in early chapters? The rivalry comment by Sakura answers that question, but does so in a way that Naruto look pretty crappy. Honestly, no clean resolution between the Last and Part 1 exists. Naruto is a different character than Goku with a different story and those differences are why such a thing worked for one couple and not the other.

This is the one point where I feel a little sympathy for writers (IIRC Kishimoto didn’t; write but oversaw it). They had 90-120 minutes to deal with any lingering feelings for Sakura, established that he liked Hinata romantically, end with a wedding, and deal with the plot involving the villain. That is not a lot of time to do that, let alone do it well.

Kishimoto not doing the doing the first two things before the end really puts the writer in the Last behind the 8-ball. At least with SS, it left off an interaction that hinted Sasuke was starting to return those feelings.NH did not do that. If nothing else, its clear the writers didn’t think the manga effectively did any of that for NH because the scarf retcon and the this scene are not needed if it had. The movie format has its positives as a medium, but it can be extremely constraining in terms of story telling unless you do something like what Marvel did with the Inifinity Saga. Force all those plots threads into a two hours movie and you get something closer to Joss Wheadon’s Justice League. 

That's what happens when they started making the movie two years before the ending the manga and told Kishi "make the manga fit the movie." That was the biggest mistake, They made the movie and then told Kishi "fit it into the manga somehow" which is why we got this shoehorned Hinata interaction and Neji's death.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 30 May 2022 - 03:12 PM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#53839 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 04:44 PM

That's what happens when they started making the movie two years before the ending the manga and told Kishi "make the manga fit the movie." That was the biggest mistake, They made the movie and then told Kishi "fit it into the manga somehow" which is why we got this shoehorned Hinata interaction and Neji's death.

And shows how Studio Pierrot didn't give a damn about what Kishimoto had originally wanted to do, given we see some hints of it in the long haul, like how Sakura and Karin reacted when Naruto and Sasuke were dying as well as how if Hinata was planned to get together with Naruto, she just gives up when she trips on a rock and collapses while she still had TONS of Kurama's chakra going for her, even begging the dead Neji to save Naruto!

Edited by Bryon_Konoha_Ninja, 30 May 2022 - 04:45 PM.

#53840 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 05:52 PM

Just....just watch

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ