• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#41 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:18 PM

I'll just wait until it comes on DVD. Most anime are a lot better that way anyway.

#42 TwilightLink20xx

TwilightLink20xx

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Sep 10 2009, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm willing to see how this turns out.

Some things I'd like to address:

1) Censorship
Obviously, it will be edited. But Disney, while specializing in more family-oriented entertainment, has made more violent franchises: Pirates of the Carribean, Tarzan, Gargoyles (one episode from this series was banned from tv after its initial airing). Toon Disney also showed Power Rangers (yes, I know that's not exactly mature content, but it had explosions and karate). They're probably trying to expand their demographics to older boys. It probably won't be much different from what Toonami has done.

2) Viz is in charge of the dub
Viz would obviously want to make the core fanbase happy.

3) If you don't like Shippuden, don't complain about where it airs or how it's dubbed
Okay, I really can't make a judgement on Shippuden since I haven't watched it since the Gaara arc. But if you really think it is bad, why complain about how the dub will be done? Shouldn't you spend that energy on a series you actually like?

4) Doesn't Viz Stream subtitled uncut Naruto Shippuden for free?
Then why worry about Disney going after fansubbers when real fans should watch what Viz is offering?

5) Funimation owns FMA2 and One Piece
Viz has the rights to the manga of each series, and the reason they're showing NS is because it's a money maker. That's all there is to it.

That's my two cents. Just wait and see what happens.

QFT, this channel is supposed to be a bit more edgy anyways.

First off, most of the "cursing" was added by fan-subbers, so that isn't going to be an issue. Violence isn't going to be a problem either, the only thing I can see them MAYBE toning down is the blood, and again, as Kodachi Claws has so cleverly pointed out, this is the same Disney that gave us Pirates of the Caribbean, a movie the regularly show on Disney Channel proper, for God's sake! (So, to answer Ciardha on a few pages back, they will probably be okay with Drunk Tsunade, I mean, Jack Sparrow's kinda... tipsy XD) I don't think they'll be too worried about blood, it's not even that frequent in the first place. The ONLY thing I can see them censoring is the Sexy Jutsu, but that only shows up TWICE in the whole series. Smoking.... Well, it's only Asuma in Shippuden, so it should be fine.

That's pretty much all the taboo right there; Shippuden is a relatively tame series compared to many others, and will likely be considered age- appropriate for the audience they'll be shooting for, which is 12 - 14+. I'll wait until they start airing it before I give final say on if it was a great decision or not, but something tells me that Disney is paying attention to the trends, and is trying to use this (along with the Marvel buyout) to capture that typical male audience, 'cause let's face it, we all know that's what they're after now.

Oh, and finally, it isn't gonna affect the DVD releases whatsoever, so as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't affect me (no cable, lol).

Edited by TwilightLink20xx, 11 September 2009 - 06:34 PM.

#43 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Sep 11 2009, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fan fact: I didn't know, what Japanese anime was until, I year old was 20 heeee. I thought all the cartons on CN were American made ><. laugh.gif

Brilliant. That just made me facepalm.

You know what? Here.

#44 Freakazoid

Freakazoid

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Sep 11 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what? Here.

Jesus has an epic facepalm.

#45 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Sep 11 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what? Here.

Heeee, I felt so stupi too xddddd

#46 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Sep 10 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know, if I should BE crying or Laughing right know since Disney took my Marvel comics now their taking my Anime. Cries again, then laugh and wounder what they will replace the foul mouth Hidan words with.

Um... they aren't your comics and your anime. They are for their creators. Are you their creator? No.

Now, I think we should all watch before giving an opinion. And then, if it really sucks, then say what you want.
I, personaly, don't like what disney's doing, but it's not like I can do anything about it. so I'll just leave it as it is, instead of making it complicated.

#47 Xabsol

Xabsol

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

Disney are going too take of the universe and kill everything!!

#48 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

Wow, this sucks i really hoped Adult Swim would get it. Actually most people don't have Disney XD compared to Cartoon Network, I subscribe to Dish Network and Cartoon Network is included with the base package and I have the top 100 package which still doesn't include Disney XD. For me to have Disney XD I would be forking money for a even higher package, so yeah the majority has CN. (Cartoon Network always got their head on backwards except Ben 10: Alien Force/Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's/Bakugan/Adult Swim Bleach & Code Geass currently shown)

Yeah, SYFY does have anime called the "Ani-Monday" every Monday night from 10 p.m.-12 a.m., they're currently showing 2 new epi's of Gundam 00 (don't care much about) and 2 new Rave Master epi's that are okay to watch. They use to show anime Macross and Street Fighter flicks every now and then. I liked the short Tokko series they showed but unfortunately they didn't show it all.

I'm not to sure though i want to buy only 100 minute (4 episodes) DVD's of Shippuden. I may just wait and buy the season volume box set when ever Amazon get it and save a little extra money instead of constantly buying the 4 epi DVD'S of Shippuden.

Edited by Uzumakikage, 11 September 2009 - 11:06 PM.

#49 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

What is this...buying you speak of? You guys do mean buying an HDD to store your anime on right...?

#50 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (True @ Sep 11 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is this...buying you speak of? You guys do mean buying an HDD to store your anime on right...?

fu.png

I still have 300 GB to fill!

#51 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (True @ Sep 11 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why must the kids suffer with that when they can watch better anime like FMA: Brotherhood, Dragon Ball Kai, One Piece, and Spice & Wolf? Damn it Viz/Funi present the good popular shows!

There is a severe lack of Rurouni Kenshin, Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and Kaze Hikaru in that statement. But I agree 100%.

#52 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (TwilightLink20xx @ Sep 11 2009, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QFT, this channel is supposed to be a bit more edgy anyways.

First off, most of the "cursing" was added by fan-subbers, so that isn't going to be an issue. Violence isn't going to be a problem either, the only thing I can see them MAYBE toning down is the blood, and again, as Kodachi Claws has so cleverly pointed out, this is the same Disney that gave us Pirates of the Caribbean, a movie the regularly show on Disney Channel proper, for God's sake! (So, to answer Ciardha on a few pages back, they will probably be okay with Drunk Tsunade, I mean, Jack Sparrow's kinda... tipsy XD)

This is true. And I'm sure Disney is aware that Naruto Shippuden has a strong female following too(unlike CN I'm betting someone at Disney was watching the female demos and knew this was a prime show to grab) Disney is one of a very few companies that aren't ignoring the female demographic- and thus are making money hand over fist, and face it, Hannah Montana is about done, Miley Cirus wants to play like she's grown up and sexy now.

Some major things that are such a huge draw for the female anime/manga fans about Naruto is most the female characters have emotional depth, intelligence and strength, are rarely used as fan service for male readers and no bones are made by female characters about how repulsive they find male pervertedness. That draws in even middle aged female anime/manga fans like me. (Where more standard action shonens with plenty of female character fanservice little character development like One Piece are totally unappealing.)

I will be ticked off though if I see any Disney "princess" merchandising around the female characters in Naruto...

Edited by ciardha, 15 September 2009 - 03:31 PM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#53 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Sep 15 2009, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be ticked off though if I see any Disney "princess" merchandising around the female characters in Naruto...

That will never happen. Disney Princesses is iconic to the Disney *movie* franchise, and is as 'wholesomely' American as you can get. They aren't going to take characters from Japanese anime, and try to fit them into their uniquely American-made and marketed product.

#54 Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Sometimes I get to poetic for my own good!

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Reading Fanfiction and video games(lately it's only being the former)

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

Is this me or is Disney starting to take over the world slowly, we'll be running from an army of robot Mickey soldiers next... geez, they're taking over everything Marvel, Naruto what's next? And here's the funny instead of running from the mickey soldiers we'll probably try to glomp them... we're doomed.

Edited by Whirlpool-Maelstrom, 15 September 2009 - 07:49 PM.

#55 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Sep 15 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That will never happen. Disney Princesses is iconic to the Disney *movie* franchise, and is as 'wholesomely' American as you can get. They aren't going to take characters from Japanese anime, and try to fit them into their uniquely American-made and marketed product.

Unlike Nicklodeon, right? kruemelmonsteryn0.gif

#56 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Sep 15 2009, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um...wha? huh.gif

#57 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Sep 15 2009, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Sep 15 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um...wha? huh.gif

I think he meant a similar situation like Avatar.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#58 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Derock @ Sep 15 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he meant a similar situation like Avatar.

I got that he was referring to Avatar in some way, but you'll have to excuse me as I'm dead tired right now, and my brain isn't running at it's highest speeds, so I'm not sure how Nickelodeon/Avatar correlates with Disney/Disney Princesses XD

#59 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

No. XD

They aren't going to take characters from Japanese anime, and try to fit them into their uniquely American-made and marketed product.

Like Nickelodeon shoving Naruto characters into a comic with the Simpsons.

#60 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:35 PM

Kingdom Hearts video game had both Disney and non Disney Japanese characters in it.

Oh God! please don't put the Narutoverse in it Square Enix. no.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users