• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Ulgamoth

Ulgamoth

H&E's Sun Pokemon

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:I like Naruto, hence me being here. I also enjoy Death Note manga, Dragon Ball and DBZ manga and Full Metal Alchemist manga. In to metal music but can listen to ALMOST anything. Love playing video games, specifically Pokemon. Currently working on Pokemon Black. Spore is EPIC and so is Fallout New Vegas. Disturbed in the house, droppin' plates!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:47 AM

When does it come out on Toonami/Adult Swim. I've seen some previews, but I don't know when it'll be realeased. Please help me!

Deep in the jungle camouflaged by all the fallen leaves
A hand holds up the sky while shamefully I make my plea
The alter's callin' but my legs won't seem to stand
Guess I'm a coward scared to face the man I am

#2 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE (The Sharingan @ Feb 9 2009, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When does it come out on Toonami/Adult Swim. I've seen some previews, but I don't know when it'll be realeased. Please help me!

Well it's currently on 210 and the original anime ends at 220 so 10 more weeks of the original anime since they stopped airing 2 episodes a week when Toonami ended. sleep.gif

uc.png

#3 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:51 AM

what i know is that Viz Media has already been dubbing Shippuden, however, CN hasnt announced that they are airing it.

#4 SageNaru

SageNaru

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Anime/Manga and Vidya

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:39 AM

They are taking forever.

#5 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

I'm a bit curious though... are they going to be keeping the same voice actors for Shippuuden? I know that for Full Metal Alchemist the VA who did Ed did both his 12 year old and 15 year old counterparts, but I don't know if they're going to do that for Naruto.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#6 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:20 AM

Yuri Lowenthal (the voice of Sasuke) recently posted on his MySpace blog that even though Viz IS currently dubbing Shippudnen its status on TV is questionable. Over the last year the ratings for the American dub of Naruto have dropped due to one current evil of anime....streaming. No one watches it on TV anymore they're all waiting for someone to put it on YouTube or Veoh or blip TV or whatever, and what none of us realize is it's actually hurting the lives of the people who work on these dubs especially the voice actors. Vic Mignonga said in a recent interview that he's had to get a regular job because he isn't getting paid as much to do voice work anymore because no one is watching it on TV or buying the DVDs. As a person who watches streams of anime (though I do watch it on TV and buy DVDs) I feel so bad.... sad.gif

uc.png

#7 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

Wow, Ed now I feel really bad about watching it on Stream....

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#8 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

thats what I thought it was, pretty much why anime on american television has declined.

#9 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

I think the majority of people who really care about anime don't mind listening to the Japanese voices and reading subtitles. It just feels more natural that way.

It's even better when the subtitles aren't censored six ways to Sunday.

Heck, just from listening to the Japanese voices and reading subtitles for so long, I've learned a very minute amount of Japanese. I can pick out words and phrases if there are no subtitles on something I'm watching or listening to.

I do, however, purchase the DVD's. I currently own all the Naruto box sets so far.

You know another way they'd get people to watch this stuff and have people watch it on TV? Simultaneous release Japanese/English dub, just perhaps a few hours apart to take timezone differentials into consideration. That would get a large chuck of viewers, if they could get it in English dub the same time (but a few hours later) as the Japanese release.

But no... companies are too greedy, so that would never happen. Unless they get smart. They're doing it with the manga, I don't see why they can't with the anime.

#10 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:56 PM

honestly i dont blame people for streaming in this case. I like watching Naruto on tv. however instead of seeing naruto on a regular basis or on a channel like CN or somesuch. I get a 6 epsidoe marathon of spongebob or 6-teen or similar silliness.

thats why people dont watch naruto on TV any more. its not because theyre streaming its because its the only way to watch it anymore.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#11 Sora no Kitsune

Sora no Kitsune

Keyblade Master

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Manga/Anime - Naruto, FMA, ect.<br />Video Games - Kingdom Hearts, Metroid, LoL, Tera<br />Music - 2 Step from Hell, Rise Against, 30stm<br />Books - Inheritance Cycle (Eragon Series), Game of Thrones<br />Sports - DAGORHIR!!!!<br />

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (catsi563 @ Mar 9 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
honestly i dont blame people for streaming in this case. I like watching Naruto on tv. however instead of seeing naruto on a regular basis or on a channel like CN or somesuch. I get a 6 epsidoe marathon of spongebob or 6-teen or similar silliness.

thats why people dont watch naruto on TV any more. its not because theyre streaming its because its the only way to watch it anymore.

Exactly. If they expect us to watch a good anime, they need to provide so we CAN watch it. I can't even find naruto on CN anymore and if they don't want us streaming, the least they could do is show it more often or atleast have more new episodes per week.

To be honest, and some people might think otherwise, but i think its mostly their fault. I don't see how hard it is to draw over their mouths and replace the japanese wth english dubbs, because thats basiclly all they're doing to the episodes. They're not redrawing it or making it completely diffrent from the original plot, they're just translating and censoring it. Japan is able to draw fast enough to get a new shippuden in each week so America should be able to dub it much faster than it takes to draw it, right?

Maybe i'm mistaken, but that's how i see it and if they want money, then they should do the work to earn it. If they can't translate it to english fast enough to satisfy our needs, then they shouldn't be angry for us becoming impatient and swiching to streaming.

Get Chance and Luck!!~

#12 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:18 AM

I think this is pretty much becoming a growing trend with television now a days. You even have T.V. shows that are available online sometimes with internet only exclusives. As technology progresses people have started to bother less with T.V. and just watch the things they like on the computer since it's easily available on the internet. It allows for a person to watch something when they want to on their own schedule instead of during a set time like on T.V.

Honestly, I don't really care for it, since I like others torrent my anime and add it to my HDD. One of the features of television is that you can watch it on a bigger screen and comfortably in your living room or wherever you want to view it. But, with an S-cable I'm able to play any file from my laptop directly onto my television so I don't see the need to even buy DVDs anymore.

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Mar 9 2009, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know another way they'd get people to watch this stuff and have people watch it on TV? Simultaneous release Japanese/English dub, just perhaps a few hours apart to take timezone differentials into consideration. That would get a large chuck of viewers, if they could get it in English dub the same time (but a few hours later) as the Japanese release.

But no... companies are too greedy, so that would never happen. Unless they get smart. They're doing it with the manga, I don't see why they can't with the anime.

Anime is a lot harder to do then manga since it has to be redone to match lip sync, editing, voice acting, and etc; The amount of time it takes for the anime to be finished in Japan and then changed for English audiences wouldn't work in the time frame of having the anime released in Japan and then a few hours later in the U.S. or other countries. Plus there are a huge number of anime studios in Japan that produce anime, while in the U.S. you only have a couple of companies such as Funimation and Viz that license and distribute the anime here.

Manga is way easier since the only thing that you are changing is the language translation and primary all of the rest of the material stays the same. Plus, with the growing popularity of manga replacing that of comic books it would make sense that manga can hold steady while anime on television loses stature. And that's how I personally like it because due to the sub par quality of American comics being released in the U.S. nowadays I'd much rather buy and place manga on my bookshelf. Also, the fact that anime and manga are different in that to me personally, I feel more value of having the actual manga in my hand instead of having to read it on the computer screen, while with anime I can just use a couple of substitutes and recreate the effect of watching anime on a television set. It's just the difference between the two items that separates their value (at least in my view).

#13 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:49 AM

Yeah, things are looking really bad for anime in America. Using the internet is an important first step for sure, but it's not the cure-all. DVD sales still make more money than the streaming sites.

The main problem with the internet, and using sub-only, is that it will not attract a bigger audience. TV is more easily accessible for younger kids (to which Naruto is the target audience), and people can get into a new show easier if they're just casually watching it. People who have no clue about series like Naruto will have to be informed through the hype, and for many a raving fanboy is counter-productive in that sense. Also, dubs are usually what get people into anime, and there are, in my opinion, many fans who prefer to watch their shows dubbed; it's hard to just sit back and relax with subtitles, and many of the VAs in my opinion are quite talented. As long as they don't make any major changes when they don't have to, I really don't see what the big fuss is about. The voice actors enjoy the series as well, and work hard to get the characters right (and in my opinion, most of the time they do. A little bit more variety would help though). I hope Viz will do with Shippuden what Bandai is doing with Code Geass: Streaming both versions.

Overall, the internet is putting the hurt on a lot of businesses: TV, Music, Newspapers, and stores that sell products but loose money because people buy them online.

However, fansubbing and streaming were really just the icing on the cake. Most anime-forums that I visited blamed the companies for pushing niche titles that there was virtually no audience for, pushing them into debt; and some specific genres (namely ecchi and monster-related anime) have hurt anime's reputation overseas (I also blame some bad-looking cosplayers as well).

Anime is hurting in its homeland as well, for very similar reasons. There's been such a saturation of anime that no one wants to buy them anymore, and they're failing to attract younger fans. I also hear they're having problems employing animators; they are horribly underpaid (around $700-800), and Japan is outsourcing many of its animation jobs to other countries.

I should also add that even if getting an episode dubbed at around the same time the original airs in Japan could work physically, it could do more harm then good. These companies cannot afford to dub just ANY series; they need to get a sense of which ones will or could be successful before they put money into producing a dub. This is why Geneon is no more; they pushed out ANY ANIME THEY COULD. Guess how many of them were successful? Very few.

On the plus-side, streaming might be what saves not only anime, but just about any tv series that requires some following-up on. However, there is currently no long-term business model to really make this work to my knowledge. With anime as long as Naruto, and as well as many other shows out there, I do not expect everyone (more correctly, anyone for that matter) to purchase the entire series. But please, if you love the show, do buy at least your favorite episodes. And if you really want to see a series, try to do so through legal means first. I pretty much value a DVD the same way True values a manga volume, and I'm perfectly happy to wait for the episodes to be brought here.

#14 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

My sentiments exactly, Kodaichi. My friend got me the third movie as a Christmas present and the voice-acting was excellent, and you can really tell the differences between the English version and the Japanese version. I get so picky when the voices don't match the mouth flaps, but I guess subs have always distracted me away from it. When my brother asked to watch the Japanese version (provided on the same dvd, that was nice of them) he was the first to notice even though it was in an entirely different language. I was quite proud actually that he was so observant, but I suppose it just goes to show that once you've grown up with that standard it's hard to let it go.

My brother has just turned ten now, and he loves Naruto and I've pretty much gotten him into anime. He can't read the subtitles--he hasn't developed that skill of reading so fast to process both the words and what's happening on-screen. We take it like it's nothing because we're so used to it, but when you think about it watching subtitled episodes is busy work. When Naruto Shippuuden comes out, if it comes out, I am so watching it and buying the first episode on DVD. I never thought I'd fangirl over somebody's voice, but Yuri (Sasuke's voice) makes me squeal.
Until then my brother is watching the dubbed every Saturday keeping me updated on what episode he's on. It's so cute to hear his confusion XD
"Sis, there's this really ugly fish girl and I think she likes Naruto..."

He also thinks Ino and Gaara should be together because Ino is 'beautiful' and Gaara is 'cool'.

Ahem. Enough of me bragging about my cute, brainwashed sibling.

I can't wait for the dubbed version to come out. I don't understand this elitism where everybody rags on the English versions. I can name two right now that were, in my opinion, superior to the Japanese versions: Witch Hunter Robin and Hell Girl. I'm grateful we have dubbed versions because without them I probably never would have gotten into anime.

As for manga--our school library orders them! I probably should buy some for myself, especially since Planet Hobby has tons.

#15 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

I agree people should buy the dvds heck if I wasnt needing to watch my pennies so close Id ahve a few of the series right now.

But the simple fact remains that it is the companies fault that no ones watching it on tv. Im sorry But its simply impossible to watch a series on tv... WHEN THE SERIES ISNT ON TV.

it drives me nuts to see series canceled because the network says no ones watching it. when inr eality no one can watch it.

cartoon network schedule from 6pm to 12am today

6teen
6teen
league of super evil
chowder
johnny test
johnny test
6teen
6teen
king of the hill
king of the hill
family guy
family guy

see what i mean? multiple repeats of series I neither care about in the slighest or watch. yet they show those shows not once but twice or 4 time sin the case of 6teen. sheesh

if they want people to watch anime they need to put Anime on TV and put it on at a consistent pace and time.

its been nearly 2 weeks since the last naruto episode at least on CN.

have they reduced Naruto to once a month? a series they once played 5-7 times a week?
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#16 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (catsi563 @ Mar 10 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree people should buy the dvds heck if I wasnt needing to watch my pennies so close Id ahve a few of the series right now.

But the simple fact remains that it is the companies fault that no ones watching it on tv. Im sorry But its simply impossible to watch a series on tv... WHEN THE SERIES ISNT ON TV.

it drives me nuts to see series canceled because the network says no ones watching it. when inr eality no one can watch it.

cartoon network schedule from 6pm to 12am today

6teen
6teen
league of super evil
chowder
johnny test
johnny test
6teen
6teen
king of the hill
king of the hill
family guy
family guy

see what i mean? multiple repeats of series I neither care about in the slighest or watch. yet they show those shows not once but twice or 4 time sin the case of 6teen. sheesh

if they want people to watch anime they need to put Anime on TV and put it on at a consistent pace and time.

its been nearly 2 weeks since the last naruto episode at least on CN.

have they reduced Naruto to once a month? a series they once played 5-7 times a week?

I think CN needs to reevaluate the schedule because they just putting repeats. Shows like Chowder and 6-Teen for new episodes and repeats can show be easily air on weeknights. Take out Johnny Test because that has being repeating since 2 years plus it airs around 4 and 5. King of the Hill and Family Guy for Adult Swim needs to be lessen because those are repeats as well. Another thing are the movies. Show that on around 8-9 time slot on Saturday and Sundays.

This is the reason I don't watch cable anymore and I stick to my digital converter channels on my regular TV.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#17 Merger Knight

Merger Knight

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (UzumakiEdward85 @ Mar 9 2009, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one watches it on TV anymore they're all waiting for someone to put it on YouTube or Veoh or blip TV or whatever, and what none of us realize is it's actually hurting the lives of the people who work on these dubs especially the voice actors.

QUOTE (catsi563 @ Mar 9 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I useally have to work when Naruto was on and I always forget to record it, I almnost forgot about it once, but then I came to my senses.

#18 NutMan

NutMan

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (UzumakiEdward85 @ Mar 9 2009, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yuri Lowenthal (the voice of Sasuke) recently posted on his MySpace blog that even though Viz IS currently dubbing Shippudnen its status on TV is questionable. Over the last year the ratings for the American dub of Naruto have dropped due to one current evil of anime....streaming. No one watches it on TV anymore they're all waiting for someone to put it on YouTube or Veoh or blip TV or whatever, and what none of us realize is it's actually hurting the lives of the people who work on these dubs especially the voice actors. Vic Mignonga said in a recent interview that he's had to get a regular job because he isn't getting paid as much to do voice work anymore because no one is watching it on TV or buying the DVDs. As a person who watches streams of anime (though I do watch it on TV and buy DVDs) I feel so bad.... sad.gif

It's not the streaming. It's the filler. Anyone watching Naruto on CN probably gave up after the crazy filler arc that is STILL going on.

#19 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (NutMan @ Mar 18 2009, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not the streaming. It's the filler. Anyone watching Naruto on CN probably gave up after the crazy filler arc that is STILL going on.

But the fillers are almost done. We still have about 10-12 more episodes left til the end of the series. Why would CN stop airing the show when it is on its last season?

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#20 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

I have to agree with Catsi on this matter: ya can't watch it on Tv if it ain't there. I watch Bleach on adult swim, and watched FMA and code geass and the such. Only time I watched Bleach streaming is if I miss the episode and Code Geass cause they changed the time to when I had to sleep (before they switched it back)

other anime I watch streaming is because I live in an area where very little anime is even presented. and I have to drive almost 100 miles to even find a decent selection of Manga that actully has the begining volumes of anything (walmart offers some but if I read fruit baskets, i would like to start at the begining not volume 3 or 6)
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users