Close
Photo

What Japanese think would make great Hollywood films....

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

http://www.crunchyro...hollywood-films  So, found this link on a survey in Japan on what Japanese fans think would make great hollywood films.

I kinda thought Lupin III, Case Closed, Slam Dunk, and Golgo 13 would be easier to adapt than the rest of the list.

#2 deviouslyChaotic

deviouslyChaotic

Alex Turner turners me on

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:sleep.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hollywood is seriously considering turning both Death Note, Bleach, as well as Akira into live action films. Shane Black, the director of Iron Man 3, is set to Direct Death Note. I'm not sure who is directing Bleach, but I can check. And I think Leonardo Dicaprio is going to be involved in the Akira film. I don't know whether to be excited or scared lol. Anime-turned-live action films tend to have a reputation for not doing the source material justice, so I hope these films will break that common pattern.

tumblr_n963zefXMR1rab3jho5_r1_500.gif

"Suck it and see."

#3 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Hollywood is seriously considering turning both Death Note, Bleach, as well as Akira into live action films. Shane Black, the director of Iron Man 3, is set to Direct Death Note. I'm not sure who is directing Bleach, but I can check. And I think Leonardo Dicaprio is going to be involved in the Akira film. I don't know whether to be excited or scared lol. Anime-turned-live action films tend to have a reputation for not doing the source material justice, so I hope these films will break that common pattern.

I can see Death Note happening, there were already two live action flicks in Japan. I'm not sure if Akira will ever happen though. That project has been in development hell for five-six years.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#4 deviouslyChaotic

deviouslyChaotic

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

I can see Death Note happening, there were already two live action flicks in Japan. I'm not sure if Akira will ever happen though. That project has been in development hell for five-six years.

Ah, you're right. That's the thing with projects being in development; they're in danger of being scrapped completely. However, I just checked on Akira and it says that they're working on the script. They have a team of writers as well as producers and directors and it was last updated August 2, 2013... So, maybe it still has a slim chance of actually happening? Regardless it is still categorized as "in development" so it still has the relatively high chance of being completely scrapped, but we'll see haha.

I think Death Note is most surely going to happen. They're working on the script now however further development is on hold for the director is working on another movie at the time as well. It took awhile to get Death Note moving because the director kept fighting with Warner Bros.! I've heard that Warner Bros. kept trying to change and modify so many things it was ridiculous, but the director wouldn't stand for it, so that's a good sign that Death Note is in good hands! And I think I remember reading that this remake would not follow the Japanese films, but rather the manga so we'll see :).

"Suck it and see."

#5 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hollywood is not my preference...seems like a business about making the most actionfilled movies and make most money out of it. Many of them at least, I do like some hollywood movies ofc.

But I think Code Geass, SnK and Death Note would be great live actions. Evangelion too maybe, although I haven't seen it. This is only if they don't screw it up obviously. :ermm:

ナルサク

#6 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

How they would handle the mental stuff from Evangelion in a Hollywood film, I don't know, but I can guarantee that the idea has been circulating for years. Back in about 2004, it was being thrown around by Weta Workshop, there was even some concept art from the studio. It was (and probably still is) too hard of a sell to execs to throw money into it.

Pacific Rim cost nearly $200 million, was a pretty straight forward type of movie and needed the whole world wide box office to be somewhat successful. Seeing that result puts doubt in my mind of a live action Eva ever happening.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#7 deviouslyChaotic

deviouslyChaotic

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hollywood is not my preference...seems like a business about making the most actionfilled movies and make most money out of it. Many of them at least, I do like some hollywood movies ofc.

But I think Code Geass, SnK and Death Note would be great live actions. Evangelion too maybe, although I haven't seen it. This is only if they don't screw it up obviously. :ermm:

I agree sushi. Hollywood these days is mostly concerned with making a profit rather than making well thought-out films. Of course there is the occasional diamond in the rough per say, but lately I feel as if Hollywood's been a little lazy.

As for the bolded, I second this. SNK would make an AMAZING film! It has a great story and it would sell because of the action, so it's a win-win. I'm actually surprised a Code Geass movie has not been taken into consideration yet. Another example of a great story with lots of tasteful action. The only thing I'm concerned about concerning shows like Death Note and Code Geass being made into movies is that both shows contain a LOT of information, but all of that information is important and necessary to the plot. Knowing Hollywood, they'd most likely cut a lot of information, which will downgrade the quality. Even if these animes were to get multiple movies to tell the story in its entirety, a lot would still be cut which is a shame :(. I just hope the directors of these films are not lazy and put in the extra effort to do the source material justice.

"Suck it and see."

#8 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

I agree sushi. Hollywood these days is mostly concerned with making a profit rather than making well thought-out films. Of course there is the occasional diamond in the rough per say, but lately I feel as if Hollywood's been a little lazy.

It's more than just lately, Hollywood has been lazy for years, but mainly because a lot of audiences eat up the stuff it puts out. The reason we see a lot of remakes and familiar stories is because of most people don't want to leave their comfort zone. And to be fair, most of the flicks released aren't bad, mostly they are just mediocre.

Ive been reviewing movies for over five years now and the ratings I give out most commonly are 2 or 3 out of 5s.

Thing is, it takes a lot of money to make a movie and release it at a national level, so if Hollywood is going to release a movie, they want to make sure it's going to bring home the bank.

That's probably the reason why it is so difficult for an anime movie to get made, because it is out of a lot of people's familiarity, and the studios can't be guaranteed a large sum at the box office.

Not that it can never happen, though. I always like to send a reminder that until about 2000 when X-Men hit theaters, comic book movies were more or less an after thought. Now they are the main money makers for Hollywood.

I guess my point is, will Hollywood ever make an anime live action that's good? Yeah, probably, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything really soon. There's still a lot of progress to make.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#9 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Big O and Cowboy Bebop might work but I don't want Hollywood to mess them up. Lupin would definitely work as a live action.

#10 megi

megi

Resident Gardener

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

You know, I really love live actions of animes but... no no no way will it work and make money in Hollywood! If they are going to make a movie out of an anime, it's going to have to be a story a lot more simple than many of those on the list! Hollywood adaption and anime don't mix very well. I understand why people would like to see a One Piece movie (there was a great funny parody of it!), but I don't think a Hollywood movie would do One Piece any justice. They can't touch One Piece, no matter how much they want it to happen.

As for Ghibli live actions...I can't see it working. Not only that, I do not think many of these Hollywood adaptions would make a lot of movie once they are out. In Japan, they may make money, but I'm not sure in America?

Gundam...maybe. I totally love mech shows.

tumblr_n17tev6vc61t0ss41o1_500.jpg

"You've got the need. You've got the dream" 絆ってなんだ?

GNS for life

#11 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

You know, I really love live actions of animes but... no no no way will it work and make money in Hollywood! If they are going to make a movie out of an anime, it's going to have to be a story a lot more simple than many of those on the list! Hollywood adaption and anime don't mix very well. I understand why people would like to see a One Piece movie (there was a great funny parody of it!), but I don't think a Hollywood movie would do One Piece any justice. They can't touch One Piece, no matter how much they want it to happen.

As for Ghibli live actions...I can't see it working. Not only that, I do not think many of these Hollywood adaptions would make a lot of movie once they are out. In Japan, they may make money, but I'm not sure in America?

Gundam...maybe. I totally love mech shows.

I agree, that's what I was saying. I think a Gundam series could maybe work mainly because it's sci-fi military action. As long as there is a simple enough story it could work, but as soon as it starts getting deep into some of the "tropes" of anime, probably wouldn't work.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#12 narusakuforlife1667

narusakuforlife1667

Kaneki Ken did nothing wrong!

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:-My bae Blake is my interest if you know what I mean
    -NaruSaku are my babies they deserve to be together and have many children together because they deserve it
    -EreMika *.*/
    -Madoka Magica will forever be my top 10 anime

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

what about attack on titan that would be great

http://glimmeringsky1890.tumblr.com

Also if you want visit my fanfiction account

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5372808

#13 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

I heard someone was doing Neon Genesis Evangelion; I believe it was Guilermo del Torro?

#14 deviouslyChaotic

deviouslyChaotic

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

I heard someone was doing Neon Genesis Evangelion; I believe it was Guilermo del Torro?

I checked on this for you. The official project notes for this film--and I quote--state, "In development hell since 2003." It was last updated September 2, 2013. This project only has a list of producers as of now and I didn't see that specific name on the list... so maybe this person used to be involved with this project, but not anymore? The producers listed are Joseph Chou, Matt Greenfield, and John Ledford. 

"Suck it and see."

#15 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

I have to say, the idea of turning anime into live action always makes me leery, I still cringe over the atrocity that was made of Dragonball and Avatar: The Last Airbender. :down:

#16 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Yeah with the Evangelion live action flick, Matt Greenfield has been the most consistent with trying to get something put together. He was one of the key guys at ADV when it produced the English dub of Evangelion.

Personally, I just don't see one happening ever. Even now there are legal issues with Gainax.

I remember back in about 03-04 I was on a forum that centered around a live action Eva movie, there were all kinds of rumors and news tidbits going around about it but nothing ever materialized.

Here's some of the concept art that Weta Workshop did years ago, this probably is the only stuff that made it look like something might happen, but it was ages ago.

weta_eva12.jpg

weta-evangelion3.jpg

0010-weta_eva09.jpg

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#17 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Evangelion, Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets, Macross/Robotech, Patlabor, Battle Angel Alita (I heard James Cameron was interested in filming an Alita movie), Gaiking... All of these manga/animes have something in common: they have been in development hell for years and years. Honestly I see no one of them happening.

And when it happens... Results may not be pretty. It has been made movies from Fist of North Star, City Hunter (Jackie Chun cast like Ryo Saeba... I do not get why), Casshern, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Kekko Kamen (Kekko Kamen, for God's sake!)... And most of them have been awful. Fist of North Star fans don't let their friends watch the Fist of North Star movie. You have been warned.

Did you know many years ago a DB movie was done? It was done in Korea or China, I am not sure... Regardless, I saw the tape in a videoclub a day -back in the nineties-, but I did not rent it. I heard it is so awful it is hilarious, at least.

I do not say a good movie can not be done. Space Battleship Yamato's movie was pretty decent, or so I heard. But it is hard, and the odds are against it. Several producers have approached to Go Nagai to buy the rights for a live-action Mazinger-Z movie, but he has not taken up any offer so far because he needs being sure of it will be a good movie.

Hmm... Honestly, I think that a anime/manga movie needs being easily adaptable and having mass-appeal to succeed. That, and having a competent producer, director, cast... of course.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#18 Zatheko

Zatheko

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Writing, MMO's, Games

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

I have to say, the idea of turning anime into live action always makes me leery, I still cringe over the atrocity that was made of Dragonball and Avatar: The Last Airbender. :down:

Go watch the Rurouni Kenshin live action, it restored my faith in live action anime movies. If they handled them like they did for this series they could make others turn out great as well.

Of course there is exceptions, like I don't see One Piece being live action. It is just way to much to bring to a live action with way too many random things lol.

Anything mech related I think could work especially after the release of Pacific Rim.

#19 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Anything mech related I think could work especially after the release of Pacific Rim.

Well, Gypsy Danger -I think that is the name-, with its rocket punch and its chest blaster was a blatant shout-out to Mazinger-Z.

I had forgotten there was a Rurouni Kenshin live-action. I am glad of it is good, although RK is an easier series to make a film from that, let's tell, Yu Yu Hakusho or Soul Eater.

I think it would be so tough make a good One Piece live-action flick like a good Dragon Ball's one.

Anyways, there also are live-action series adapting mangas or animes. There are adaptations from Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Great Teacher Onizuka... and more.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#20 deviouslyChaotic

deviouslyChaotic

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

I agree, Lid. This film has a very unlikely chance of ever happening. I'm surprised they did not completely remove the project off of IMDb. Usually if a project is labeled as "in development" for that long, it gets removed altogether. It's a shame though. I've never watched the series, but I've heard all good things about it so it would've been nice if the fans received a well-made film. Then again the film could've been a disaster so maybe they dodged a bullet on this one.

"Suck it and see."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users