20 replies to this topic

#1 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts
  • Interests:Mariah Carey, Super Junior, Ailee, Shinee, and Mariah Carey

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

AkittenakaxSen, NaruSaku, SakuraxShaoran, SomaxErina, TouKen, YonaxHak

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

Yuri!!! On Ice

81149.jpg

The show's story revolves around Yuri Katsuki, who carried all of Japan's hopes on his shoulders to win at the Gran Prix Finale ice skating competition, but suffered a crushing defeat. He returns home to Kyushu and half feels like he wants to retire, and half feels like he wants to continue ice skating. With those mixed feelings swirling inside him, he confines himself inside his parents house. Suddenly the five-time consecutive world championship ice skater Viktor Nikiforov appears before him, and along with him is Yuri Plisetsky, a young Russian figure skater who is already defeating his seniors. Viktor and both Yuris take up the challenge on an unprecedented Gran Prix series.

Anyone watching this anime? It's so much fun tbh. And I always enjoyed watching ice skating. Oh, and for those of you who are kind of averted towards yaoi: Definitely has yaoi undertones (stemming most from Victor's weird persona), but I wouldn't classify this as Yaoi.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

tumblr_nd8f3hq6MN1qawpjto1_r2_500.gif

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

#2 Sedna

Sedna

Nostalgic

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Birds.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:43 AM

I've heard so much about it, but it doesn't seem very interesting. Sports anime are kinda eh to me...

#3 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:17 AM

Lesbian on ice lol

#4 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:33 AM

Lesbian on ice lol

Better than a convoluted another time travel-esque fighting overhyped series.

#5 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

Better than a convoluted another time travel-esque fighting overhyped series.

What's that?

#6 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

What's that?

Drifters. But seriously, I just wanted to throw it out there.

#7 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Drifters. But seriously, I just wanted to throw it out there.

Well, I think that because the author is hellsing author.
So people expect it would be hellsing level of quality.

Does it a disapoint?

#8 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:08 PM

Well, I think that because the author is hellsing author.
So people expect it would be hellsing level of quality.

Does it a disapoint?

I mean it only started but I hear that the manga doesn't clear up the plot. I will continue but I think it's more of some just like it because violence and gore. My first impression at least.

#9 NarutoUzumaki01

NarutoUzumaki01

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:16 PM

I mean it only started but I hear that the manga doesn't clear up the plot. I will continue but I think it's more of some just like it because violence and gore. My first impression at least.

What did you expected?

#10 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:26 PM

What did you expected?

I know Hellsing and all but still. I guess I should just follow my own way. Not saying that they are bad, I guess I just feel sorry for other series getting completely overshadowed.

#11 NarutoUzumaki01

NarutoUzumaki01

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:56 PM

I know Hellsing and all but still. I guess I should just follow my own way. Not saying that they are bad, I guess I just feel sorry for other series getting completely overshadowed.

Point series that is overshadowed?

#12 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

Point series that is overshadowed?

Like something that has more than just waifu walkthrough or fan service. The irony is that I don't mind sports one, because it feels like they know how to cooperated with actual elements that I can enjoy. I don't know. It is what it is.

#13 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:51 AM

Well, blood, violence, and sex always sell.
Eventhough drifter lack sex, it's pure violence and japan glorification.

#14 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:55 AM

Well, blood, violence, and sex always sell.
Eventhough drifter lack sex, it's pure violence and japan glorification.

That's for sure.

#15 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:roses are red, dark clouds are grey.... the rumour come out: does jumin han is gay?

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:53 PM

14658378_665770426924098_1555595480_n.pn

JA2DBzd.png

#16 Liu bie

Liu bie

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

I got nothing to do:

tumblr_ofc0obYJLy1qeohdlo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9gv50NLbO1qm4tnso5_500.gif

tumblr_pjk2ly8zId1s1sw7fo5_400.gif

Saintia Sho   :argh: The Gold Saints

#17 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:13 PM

Is anyone gonna talk about Yuri On the Ice? Hello, anyone?

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."

#18 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

I ended up watching this a little after it finished. I was expecting it to fall flat of the massive amounts hype it has, but I tried to go in open minded and give it a chance.

Overall I feel it's pretty average. Some decent characters, okay storyline, the animation for most of the skating scenes was pretty awful though, with only a few exceptions. I hated watching most of them cause they looked so awkward. I know it's hard to animate that kind of thing, but with ice skating being one of its main draws you'd think more effort would've been put into it. It was disappointing.

People (on Tumblr at least) have been treating Yuri on Ice like its the best thing to ever happen to anime just because of the relationship between Yuri and Victor (which frankly, I've seen better, but whatever) to the point it started to drive me a little nuts. It's DVD sales have even beaten One Piece, last I heard. To each their own I guess, but it's a shame how YOI ended up completely overshadowing some other significantly better shows from the last year.

Okay, rant over.

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 12 January 2017 - 04:27 PM.

#19 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

I ended up watching this a little after it finished. I was expecting it to fall flat of the massive amounts hype it has, but I tried to go in open minded and give it a chance.

Overall I feel it's pretty average. Some decent characters, okay storyline, the animation for most of the skating scenes was pretty awful though, with only a few exceptions. I hated watching most of them cause they looked so awkward. I know it's hard to animate that kind of thing, but with ice skating being one of its main draws you'd think more effort would've been put into it. It was disappointing.

People (on Tumblr at least) have been treating Yuri on Ice like its the best thing to ever happen to anime just because of the relationship between Yuri and Victor (which frankly, I've seen better, but whatever) to the point it started to drive me a little nuts. It's DVD sales have even beaten One Piece, last I heard. To each their own I guess, but it's a shame how YOI ended up completely overshadowing some other significantly better shows from the last year.

Okay, rant over.

I feel the same. Overall, I feel the show was just too cheesy towards the end. Too much focus on the side characters. Yuri's and Victor's relationship was whatever to me, lol. And they clearly had a limited animation budget

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#20 dejavu

dejavu

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

When this came out and my social feeds keeps on showing Yuri on Ice i was not in anyway interested. as i don't like going with the popular fad of the crowd.

but just the other week, I spent my weekend watching this (dubbed)

I have so many things to do that time and has tons of backlogs to watch but for some unknown reason i ended up watching the whole thing.

and guess what?

I actually like it. so much that i find myself re watching some episodes... I guess i really enjoyed the show.

and my youtube feeds keeps on showing ice skating videos lol.

Its unexpectedly a good watch. Sure it isn't the best anime out there.. animation-wise, story-wise etc.. but i just really enjoyed watching it and i guess that is enough.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anime, MAPPA, fall 2016, ice skating, yaoi vibes?, original anime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users