• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:24 PM

So, it's going on a year since THAT chapter of Naruto, and I think it's time to take a look back at the series as a whole.

Everything started off just fine in Naruto. The world was established OK, Naruto was introduced and developed just fine and then we were introduced to Team 7. In hindsight, if Kishi had planned on Hinata being "the one" from the beginning, I think that there should have been four-person teams with Naruto, Hinata, Sakura and Sasuke. Make it so that Hinata has just as much screen time so the romantic tension is actually felt by the audience.

With that said, though, the waves arc went pretty good. We learn about both Naruto and Sasuke and they both develop and create bonds with Kakashi and Sakura. Overall, it was a good way to kick things off.

Then we get to the Chuunin exams, which when looking back may have been the best section of Naruto. Another tailed beast was introduced, the villain Orochimaru was brought up and the series really seemed to get into "the thick of things" with this arc. On top of that, Sakura had great development, not only with her drive to be a better ninja, but also her continued warming up to Naruto (supporting him in the forest, rooting for him in the tournament section).

With that praise said, I think Kishi made a huge mistake. That mistake is not showing the friendship between Naruto and Sasuke. Think back on the Naruto and Sasuke friendship, and there wasn't much there. Naruto and Sasuke saw each other once and smiled as kids, they trained together, but we didn't see them as friends.

As soon as the Land of Waves arc finished, Naruto and Sasuke should have looked like the best tag team ever. They should have been best friends, they should have been super close, thaqt fact should have been clear. I'll get more into why in a bit.

So Naruto goes on to fight Gaara at the end of the Chuunin Exam arc, and it still is one of the best battles in the whole series. That was on top of the great fight with Neji, which includes another major thing that will be brought up later.

Naruto's underdog persona was on display during the Chuunin Exams and that continued with the Tsunade section, which was done at a good pace. Unfortunately, from what we found out, I think this is where Naruto peaked.

So we get to the part where Sasuke leaves, and unfortunately, it didn't leave as much of an impact. As I said earlier, it would have been great if Sasuke and Naruto would have been shown to be best friends, like Yusuke and Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho. That way, Sasuke's leaving would have been so much more emotional for the rest of the manga. It would have made Sasuke's absence actually heart wrenching.

Ultimately, I never felt terrible about Sasuke leaving. I never felt the tragedy the way I should have.

So we get to part two, and honestly, for the first bit, I was underwhelmed. Naruto comes back from two years of training, and what did he learn? A bigger Rasengan, that was it. Remember the excitement? The wonder? What will he have learned in two and a half years of training, more control over Kyuubi? Other types of Jutsu? Nope. It was the same as always. The first couple arcs were OK, though and I warmed up to Sai pretty quickly. Plus, we saw the continued development of NaruSaku with Sakura seeing Naruto as a valued friend and important person in her life.

After some more battles, we get to the Pein saga, and I think this was the last high point of Naruto. Finally, Naruto gets sage mode, he's stronger and he finds a way to fix the situation with Pein. With the strong points of the action, though, there were some issues, too. Hinata had her confession in that moment vs Pein would have been fine if Hinata had more moments with Naruto and if her character would have had some personality it could have been a great scene. There was none of that. The whole Pein arc, with Naruto at his lowest moment after Jiraiya died, could have been a good moment for Hinata to come in and comfort Naruto, I mean that's the canon pairing, right? Where were her moments.

Following that, I think everything was sort of like a blur. Sasuke killed Itachi, got his revenge, but still vowed to destroy Konoha. 

Fortunately, one of the best parts of the manga/anime came up there. Naruto meeting his mother and the flashbacks to how he was born and the night his parents died. In my view, this was the last great part of writing as a whole.

What came after, was probably the most disappointing part of the manga, with all kinds of asspulls and random things out of nowhere from Kishi.

First and foremost the whole war arc was pretty pathetic. A bunch of cannon fodder ninjas against a bunch of cannon fodder zombies. We never got to see destruction of villages, no real loss. It made the early stages of the war kind of boring. I was already wondering about Kishi as a writer, and this point really started setting off the alarms.

But then, after so much time waiting, Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura were reunited. Team 7 was back together. It would have been great if not for the other random stuff going on. Such as, the other Kages coming back to life, which just seemed like a way to prolong things and the discovery about the Uchihas, which said that they basically just had a mental illness making them evil.

None of it was as bad, though as finding out that Obito was still alive and had become a bad guy. I instantly knew, as soon as he was revealed, that we would see a lame redemption story. Sure enough, that's what happened. A rushed back story of how Obito became bad was given, but then he turned good again. It was all handled poorly.

Then all of a sudden Madara turned into the mother of all chakra or something? At that point, I thought Kishi had lost his mind. 

After a battle, that was honestly anti-climactic, we got to the very end of Naruto. And what a cluster f it was. After it came to an end, Sasuke just got to leave with no reprucussions for what he did, Sakura still wants to devote herself to him and Naruto somehow eventually became Hokage.

In the end, no one really changed, except Naruto. Sasuke remained a closed in individual with not much care for friends and family, Sakura remained a Sasuke fan girl who devoted her life to him. The only one who changed was Naruto, who became a less energetic individual who lost his underdog charm that made him such a great character in the beginning.

And of course we had the pairing NaruHina, which ultimately hurt Hinata's character. Like Sakura, Hinata never advanced. Like Sakura, she remained just a fan girl that got hitched. In the last panels, we don't even get to see her leading the Hyuuga Clan. It's bad enough that Neji had to die and didn't get to lead the Hyuuga clan to a new era, but then we didn't get to see Hinata do it either.

Ultimately, I think Naruto started off really well. It was an underdog story, a classic tale like Rocky or the like. But it started spiraling in part two and because of sloppy writing completely crashed in part 3. 

Start to Timeskip - 4/5
Timeskip to Pein arc - 3/5
Pein Arc to War arc - 2/5
End of series 1/5

I had to get that off my chest.  :lol:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#2 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:35 AM

I agree with everything, kudos :D

Edited by Nar123, 06 September 2015 - 01:36 AM.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#3 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:43 AM

Great post Lid.

We definitely needed more Team 7 missions before Sasuke left. More major ones like the Wave arc.

#4 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:07 AM

110% agreed.

Well this is what popularity does to a series. That and a spineless writer that bends to the will of the "fans".

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#5 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:13 AM

This was a really good read. Kishi did in fact say he had a hard time to keep up with Sasuke so a lot of randomness kicks in. That's why his character never seem organized.

#6 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:21 AM

This was a really good read. Kishi did in fact say he had a hard time to keep up with Sasuke so a lot of randomness kicks in. That's why his character never seem organized.

I know why Sasuke's character sucks so much. It's because he needed to keep him relevant after his plotline was over. And he kept shoving him in everything.

But the solution to fix that was easy. When Obito left Sasuke in that cave to recover from his eye transplant. Leave him in the kittening cave. Finish the war between the alliance and Obito and Madara, and then after that's done a small timeskip of a couple of days and then have final fight between Naruto and Sasuke.

Yes I know it's not perfect but anything would be better than what we got.

Edited by Nostradamus, 06 September 2015 - 03:30 AM.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#7 BlackBird19

BlackBird19

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:USMC,
    baseball,
    football,
    hockey,
    Music(all kinds),
    and manga.

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:49 AM

I have to completely agree with Lid's post. I also still believe the entire Uchiha plot that permeated throughout the bulk of part2 just took away so much panel time from Naruto, his development and the development of the other characters. Like I said before, it went from the possible heroic tale of Naruto Uzumaki to the poorly executed redemption tale of Sasuke Uchiha.

Edited by BlackBird19, 06 September 2015 - 03:49 AM.

#8 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:14 AM

The whole underdog aspect of Naruto's character seemed to have been ignored in part two. He was the son of a Hokage, a member of a famous and powerful clan (as important as the senjus and uchihas), and ths reincarnation of the oldest son of the sage. Why did Kishi even bring it up?

#9 Advaith

Advaith

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:30 AM

Hi long time no seeing

Wanted to see all of u.

How are u all my wonderful friends? 

#10 Advaith

Advaith

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

Glad to see this place is still here.

Best wishes to everyone here.

I'll jump in here in the future to see all again one day.

Bye

#11 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

The whole underdog aspect of Naruto's character seemed to have been ignored in part two. He was the son of a Hokage, a member of a famous and powerful clan (as important as the senjus and uchihas), and ths reincarnation of the oldest son of the sage. Why did Kishi even bring it up?

They could have done without the reincarnation of Ashura part, since even if Minato was a Hokage, Naruto was more akin to Kushina in his development.

#12 nikki1314

nikki1314

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Interests:NARUSAKU , FANFICS , NARUSAK.. oh ive said that.. MUSIC , Photography and NARUSAKU!

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:40 AM

I teared up. well written. 11/10. * slow claps

-Naruto ending gets released- 

Kishi: Honey, I’m home! 

His wife:

tumblr_inline_nw89a6rhAY1smwzjq_500.gif

#13 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hi long time no seeing

Wanted to see all of u.

How are u all my wonderful friends? 

I thought you said you're out forever.

They could have done without the reincarnation of Ashura part, since even if Minato was a Hokage, Naruto was more akin to Kushina in his development.

The whole reincarnation nonsense could've worked if he would've said Naruto is spiritual reincarnation of someone. What I mean by is not the soul being past on and being used again and again. But the feelings, the heart. You get what I mean?

CZSn9hA.jpg

#14 ichigo500

ichigo500

Ichigo gunyu

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

Start to Timeskip - 4/5
Timeskip to Pein arc - 3/5
Pein Arc to War arc - 2/5
End of series 1/5

I had to get that off my chest.  :lol:

1/5 ? You're too kind  :chuckle:

Anyway, I agree with you about everything ! 

tumblr_nq5cp7mpWa1t4u7tdo1_500.gif

:love: Kiss Kiss Fall in love  :love: 

My tumblr

#15 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:53 PM

The whole reincarnation nonsense could've worked if he would've said Naruto is spiritual reincarnation of someone. What I mean by is not the soul being past on and being used again and again. But the feelings, the heart. You get what I mean?

Agreed, or even just say Naruto and Sasuke were descendants of Ashura and Indra, indirectly or otherwise! That's what I plan to do with my fanfic; to have it Naruto and Sasuke are descendants of the brothers, with Naruto being an indirect descendant of Ashura, while Sasuke is a direct descendant of Indra as well as Madara.

#16 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

It doesn't ignore, it throw out of the window.
I always feel like naruto never truly underdog, because underdog will never learn high level jutsu in short time.

#17 Legend054

Legend054

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:27 AM

i agree for the most part

1wocs1.gif

#18 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

Has it really been that long? I agree so much that we should have seen more friendship between Naruto and Sasuke. Once it became entirely about those two I kept wondering when they became such good friends.

#19 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

Great posts, I agree with a lot of the comments posted here. 

Yeah, that felt unnecessary.  Why did Naruto and Sasuke have to be the reincarnations of brothers long dead?  Kishimoto was really trying to hammer home the "brotherly bond" between Naruto and Sasuke, but there was no need to bring in the reincarnation aspect.  Wasn't it enough that Naruto and Sasuke were childhood friends?

I loved the Pein Arc and the Kushina chapters, and I agree that the quality of the story declined in the last couple of years or so.  Kishimoto had obviously been feeling burnt out and he just wanted to end Naruto so that he could move on to new stories.

#20 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:55 PM

Yeah, that felt unnecessary.  Why did Naruto and Sasuke have to be the reincarnations of brothers long dead?  Kishimoto was really trying to hammer home the "brotherly bond" between Naruto and Sasuke, but there was no need to bring in the reincarnation aspect.  Wasn't it enough that Naruto and Sasuke were childhood friends?

I loved the Pein Arc and the Kushina chapters, and I agree that the quality of the story declined in the last couple of years or so.  Kishimoto had obviously been feeling burnt out and he just wanted to end Naruto so that he could move on to new stories.

No kidding, and in the end, because of that, he just didn't CARE anymore. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users