Site Database Error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hi everyone,

As I'm sure many of you were aware, H&E had database problems over the past day or so. I've run a repair on the database, and it seems to be working OK now, but there are still a couple of small errors. I'll keep working on it and will be keeping a close eye on it from now on.

I don't know what caused the database error, there were no changes made by any of the Kages, and our host has not mentioned any failures/problems on their end. At the moment, a hardware/software error seems the most likely cause, as unrelated errors are currently fixing themselves as we speak.

I'm very sorry that you have all experienced these errors for so long, and I will be keeping a close eye on everything to hopefully make sure this does not happen again!

#2 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Seems attacks from NH terrorists tongue.gif
SK-303_image007.jpg

#3 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (dovahkiin @ Jul 16 2012, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems attacks from NH terrorists tongue.gif

Don't do that. Wasn't necessary or needed.

#4 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

Y'know what?? funny thing is how yesterday I've been getting PM's about this when I'm not even a mod LOL.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#5 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

My guess is a hardware/software issue at IPS too. Like Live Journal's infamous 36 hour outage when they moved their server- their restart caused a somewhat similar problem- but took quite a bit more hours to fix.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#6 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

OK, this is just a little update. happy.gif

I was able to do a little surgery on the database this morning, and it's now completely free of errors. biggrin.gif Everything seems to be working fine, but please do let me know if you run into any problems!

We won't be stopping at just this fix, as I am currently working hard on a brand new H&E, which I aim to release by H&E's 8th birthday in September! Hopefully, the new H&E will be faster, more reliable, and prettier. There will be changes, most notably to the Library, which cannot be upgraded and has been a big obstacle to previous upgrade attempts. At the moment, we have a few possibilities on the table (simple forum, Wordpress, CMS), and hopefully will be able to decide on one by next month. Replacing the Library is no small task and will involve a lot of work, but it will be worth it if we can deliver an improved fanfiction section!

Hopefully, all will go well. smile.gif

#7 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Wordpress, you say? Does that mean you're looking into adding blogs, like a smiter.narusaku.com kind of thing? I've been thinking about doing a blog for a while now, but I'd rather have one at a place I consider a home away from home. If you go down that path, I'd definitely be interested.

#8 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

vbulletin?

#9 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Sorry about the delay in responding, it's just been a hell of a week.

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Jul 23 2012, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wordpress, you say? Does that mean you're looking into adding blogs, like a smiter.narusaku.com kind of thing? I've been thinking about doing a blog for a while now, but I'd rather have one at a place I consider a home away from home. If you go down that path, I'd definitely be interested.

Well, it's way too early to say at the moment. Right now, I'm just focusing on upgrading the forums and gallery, and making them look nice. Then I'll be looking at the options. If any of those options have potential for improving the site even more, we can explore that after the Library replacement is done. One thing at a time. happy.gif

QUOTE (Dreamer @ Jul 24 2012, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, it would take a lot of time and energy to convert from IPB to vBulletin, then we would all have to get used to the differences between the two systems. It's also expensive to obtain a vBulletin license, compared to keeping our IPB license.

#10 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

Well, it's way too early to say at the moment. Right now, I'm just focusing on upgrading the forums and gallery, and making them look nice. Then I'll be looking at the options. If any of those options have potential for improving the site even more, we can explore that after the Library replacement is done. One thing at a time.

No worries and no rush. Take your time. I was just expressing my potential interest, 'tis all. If it does happen, then excellent, otherwise... no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users