#1 Young Kubrick

Young Kubrick

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Film, music, anime/manga, comics, video games, literature

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:43 AM

Forgive me if there has already been a similar thread that I was unaware of, but I think this might be an interesting discussion. What are some anime/manga that you don't like that it seems like literally everyone else does? It can be series that you may like but don't love, just straight up hate, or anything in between those two. I'll give some examples of some series that I personally don't like that most people I see do

My Hero Academia: I'm sorry, but I don't get what the big deal is. I mean I understand what people like about it: it's a shonen series so there's action, and fights and whatever. But my thing is, there are several other shonen series that do exactly that, so what makes this so special? Honestly I think it's generic, boring, and doesn't have any sort of identity of its own, or at least one that makes it worth seeing the same thing that you've already seen a hundred times

Fairy Tail: Just looking at a picture of a character from Fairy Tail is enough to put me in a bad mood. I cannot stand this series. I like the idea of wizard guilds, and it sort of reminds me of how Kishi said that Naruto was originally all about magic and not about ninjas, and I think that's cool. What's not cool is the characters: every single character is mind-numbingly annoying and unlikeable. I can't find a single reason why I should relate to any of them. Oh Erza was a slave, Lucy had a father who at the least was uncaring and at the most borderline abusive; those are screwed up things, but just giving a character a traumatic backstory doesn't make them relatable. In fact in some cases it makes the emotional divide between you and them even further, because if it's tied to something supernatural or something that can't be compared to a real life scenario, you wouldn't know what that's like. The story is so insipid it makes me want to bang my head against a wall, and yeah the art looks a little too much like One Piece's and just looks meh in general, but I don't hate the artstyle. I hate everything else though

Ecchi: This may be a bit broad, but I don't like ecchi as a genre. Like the jokes are usually the same and it's supposed to be funny, but to me it's sophomoric, unlike how anyone in the real world would act, and often times rapey. A lot of times the "jokes" are literal sexual harassment. I mean I know sexuality in Japan is viewed differently then it is in America, and the issue of sexual assault is also a bit rocky, but it honestly feels to me like it's pandering to middle school and high school kids that would make a joke about a plug going into a wallsocket, and/or incels. I feel that there is a way to talk about sexuality in anime that's more then just a joke that would be too dumb for an American Pie movie, and is actually analytical and creative about it. Kill La Kill goes a little bit into exhibitionism and the taboo of nudity, and even if they didn't that's honestly the only ecchi series I've watched that I whole-heartedly enjoyed, even if there are some jokes that made me cringe a bit. Maybe there's series that I haven't seen that actually take a more mature look at it

That's about it for me. Sorry about the length, I didn't mean to go too long 

tumblr_o2ro4zTFoE1ukmr73o1_500.gif

#2 DrK

DrK

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:13 AM

For a long time, it was Naruto. Then I somehow started to like Naruto. Then Kishi ruined Naruto.

#3 Qia

Qia

Little Weasel

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:32 AM

Sword Art Online  :hehehe: justttttt kiddddding who the kitten likes that kitten like seriously.

Uhhh never really got into DragonBall tbh. Also Bleach.

Hunter X Hunter has an art style that never really grew on me so I don't even have the capacity to like it for anything else because I can't stand trying to read it or watch it  :twitch:  

And that's all I can think of tbh.  :confused:

single-cherry-blossom-tree-4k-high-quali

#4 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:42 AM

Sword Art Online: I did try it and it was interesting at first, but then I found it was more interested in telling a romance story rather than about the video Game aspects and the relationship I personally think had no concrete basis.

Any ecchi and harem series in general: admittedly I DID START reading/watching them back in the day but somewhere along the line, the fanservice, recycled plot lines and baseless reason for multiple girls to fall for the same mc being that the guy is a decent human being that doesn't sexually harrass, or objectify them nor is a douche bag turned me off a million times over. Rule of thumb for me: if you've read/seen one ecchi harem series, you've read/seen them all

Toppan Gurran Lagan: never tried it, probably never will. I just dont like what I see.

Gundam seed: Over the top melodrama, unrelatable characters, romance was horrible. The End

Edited by Phantom_999, 29 July 2018 - 01:24 AM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#5 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts
  • Interests:Games, Anime, OUAT....stuff I can't remember...and music!

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:15 AM

I liked Gundam Seed in a more of nostalgic way xD

I got tired of DB series, I don't care for any of the popular shows, I just watch Gintama lol

tumblr_m8a1skcZ6M1rx8yloo1_500.jpg

Joui Four

#6 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:02 PM

Sword Art Online- I like it but it irks me when people say it's a harem it is NOT a harem. Kirito has only shown he likes Asuna period. The problem is because there are more female characters in the show than male characters they think its a harem. That is a stupid way of looking at things. Leafa liked Kirito but he doesn't feel the same because he ONLY likes Asuna. People should look into the Japanese dictionary and see the meaning of the word harem. 

What is a harem? 

When the lead male protagonist has MORE than one female love interest. 

You want a perfect example of a Harem anime: Tenchi Muyo, High School DxD, Haganai, Trinity Seven, Sekirei and many more but SAO is definitely NOT one. 

Naruto- Yes I used to love it and like everyone else on this site ended up hating it after Kishi killed it with the ending. I even stopped writing fan fiction because I lost my inspiration completely. 

RWBY- love it but the writing started sucking since volume 4 more precise ever since the mastermind and creator Monty Oum died. However what annoys me the most in this show is the freaking ships mainly the Bumblebee ship (Blake/Yang). I'm afraid this great series will turn into another Naruto and the story gets ruined because of one stupid ship. 

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#7 jak123

jak123

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

Erased - Thought the ending was dumb.

Nagi no Asukara - Thought last half after the time skip was terrible. One of the best characters in the beginning becomes one of the worst because she ended up with the worst.

Orange for the longest time, but then the epilogue movie came out and I watched the season again. I like it now.

#8 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts
  • Interests:Games, Anime, OUAT....stuff I can't remember...and music!

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:09 PM

Sword Art Online- I like it but it irks me when people say it's a harem it is NOT a harem. Kirito has only shown he likes Asuna period. The problem is because there are more female characters in the show than male characters they think its a harem. That is a stupid way of looking at things. Leafa liked Kirito but he doesn't feel the same because he ONLY likes Asuna. People should look into the Japanese dictionary and see the meaning of the word harem. 

What is a harem? 

When the lead male protagonist has MORE than one female love interest. 

You want a perfect example of a Harem anime: Tenchi Muyo, High School DxD, Haganai, Trinity Seven, Sekirei and many more but SAO is definitely NOT one. 

Naruto- Yes I used to love it and like everyone else on this site ended up hating it after Kishi killed it with the ending. I even stopped writing fan fiction because I lost my inspiration completely. 

RWBY- love it but the writing started sucking since volume 4 more precise ever since the mastermind and creator Monty Oum died. However what annoys me the most in this show is the freaking ships mainly the Bumblebee ship (Blake/Yang). I'm afraid this great series will turn into another Naruto and the story gets ruined because of one stupid ship. 

Rwby doesn't focus on ships, at least the way I see it, people are just take things to a different level

tumblr_m8a1skcZ6M1rx8yloo1_500.jpg

Joui Four

#9 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:18 PM

Another one.

Attack on Titan: Now, I don't dislike this series at all, I just could never bring myyself to get behind it and believe me I've tried. I read at least 10  chapters  to try see if it could invigorate my interest but........... yeah I couldn't.

#10 Moon_Girl

Moon_Girl

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:OTPs:
    NaruSaku - Naruto x Sakura (Naruto Series)
    Het Chrobin - Chrom x Robin♀ (Fire Emblem Awakening)
    Clerith - Cloud x Aerith (Final Fantasy VII Series)
    Demelith - Demetri x Byleth♀ (Fire Emblem Three Houses/Hopes)
    Phantom/Erik x Christine (Phantom of the Opera)
    Jintan x Menma (AnoHana)
    ZeLink - Link x Zelda (Legend of Zelda Series)

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

Like most,

Naruto - I'll always love what it used to be.

Any Ecchi/Harem - It's overdone and often turns out stupid and/or annoying. Or gross. There was one I came across that had just ended recently and the ending consisted of the main guy having a woman he loved/lover they were together, possibly got married. But he was still having sex with all the other girls, including his older sister. Yes they are family by blood. Reading that legitimately pissed me off.
There may be an exception or two, concerning Harem. But it's mostly reverse harem. But reverse harems are def different compared to the classic harem, aside from the genders being reversed. 
Example; I love Ouran High School Host Club. It's tech a reverse harem, even if not all the characters end up falling for the female lead. Although ironically, it kind of makes fun of the harem trope.

Love Triangle anime - Naruto was the straw that broke the camel's back. There are an exception or two, but I never really liked the love triangle shtick in the first place. People get way too passionate over pairings. (I.E NARUTO) And usually someone comes out unhappy or it's poorly written.

Gundam series - I never got into them. I always got bored. The only Gundam series I watched all the way through (And enjoyed) was Gundam-san. Which was just a very short series that was all gag. (The episodes were like 5 mins if I remember correctly)

Darker than Black OVA and Season 2 - Just no. They don't exist. The first 26 episodes is all there is. You can't change my mind. (To be fair, though, the season 2 hate is a popular opinion. But my hate/dislike for the OVA is unpopular, I believe.)

There's really not many anime I would say I 'don't like'. At least specific anime. Most of the popular series are things I'm indifferent to or I find boring. Not exactly dislike or hate. Like Bleach, One Piece, Tokyo Ghoul, Sword Art Online, Black Butler, Boku no Hero Academia, Yuri on Ice!!, ect.

It doesn't help that I'm really picky about my anime these days and I'm often too busy (or lazy) to watch new stuff.

NaruSaku will always be better than crack and fan fiction

#11 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:21 PM

I just want to point out I don't eve consider Naruto a universally loved series anymore, at least not in Japan or anywhere there are ACTUAL fans of the story and not just Hinata worshipers

#12 KClaws_2

KClaws_2

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

One Piece-Yeah, this is pretty much blasphemy to say anywhere else. I really tried to get into this series. The plot was standard; nothing horrible, but nothing to get hyped about. Luffy I found WAY too stupid for the standard shonen protagonist. At least in every other series, even if the main character is stupid, he or she knows their strengths and weaknesses. On top of that, the art is WAY too silly. I get this is mainly supposed to be comedy, but when it gets dramatic it just doesn't work. Even when the bad guys have awesome abilities, the insane designs just take me out of the awe and into the silly. I can't take a single thing seriously. There's also the issue with Nami's ever changing design...or rather, should I say, specifically ONE PART of her body. At the beginning of the series she seems to be a C-cup, probably lower. Then this grown woman keeps growing a cup size with each consecutive arc and she is WAY too skinny to come off as attractive. I generally don't mind fan service to some degree, but the way Oda does it is NOT attractive. And having seen technically way worse, that's saying a lot.

The devil fruit thing also bothers me. So, you gain powers but can't swim? WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO BE A PIRATE IF THAT HAPPENED TO YOU!?

Evangelion-There are parts I enjoy. But it is quite slow, and it has this thing in some anime where it's trying to be all smart and philosophical but just comes off as the writers saying "I AM AND ABSOLUTE GENIUS, AND YOU'RE AN IDIOT FOR NOT GETTING ME!" Shinji is also a terrible protagonist. Yes, I get he has a tragic backstory but he is just NOT FUN TO WATCH. 

For what it's worth, I'm interested in checking out the recent batch of movies.

Ghost in the Shell-Pretty much the same reason as Evangelion. It thinks it's smarter than it actually is. 

Negima-This show is overstuffed to the brim with characters (though considering all the other series I have been reading, I admit that's rather hypocritical of me). The magic is a fine concept, but later it becomes indistinguishable from DragonBall as they get into fist fights. Yes, Fairy Tail also has a lot of fisticuffs for a magic show, but at least each character has a unique ability. The skills of the most prominent characters to me became indistinguishable. I also got irritated at how it shamelessly ripped off other anime (Naruto and Evangelion).  

Bleach-I don't hate it, but it is overhyped. Standard shonen, some interesting abilities but ultimately based around what your sword can do. I also hated how the main cast was side-lined because Kubo had to give EVERY. SINGLE. CHARACTER. A FIGHT! It dragged the plot down tremendously and soon I had no idea who the main characters were supposed to be.

Ronin Warriors-Eh, it had potential. It's main problems were we're given no backstory to the main characters, nor 3 of the 4 dark war lords, and things just happen. I guess I kind of like it, but it is not a great show. However, if anything could be improved with a reboot, I think this one could do well.

Gundam 0083-Worth seeing for the animation, but the characters were just AWFUL. Kou behaved more like a cadet rather than a 19 year old man who should know at least some of the ropes by now, Benard Moncha...uh less said the better...Gato, nothing more than "Hail Zeon!" 

#13 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

Attack of the Titans - It's not so much I hate it, but more I can't get into the series, I've tried but can't get past the first chapter, or the first episode, it's part of the bloody and gory genre I don't really care too much for, Tokyo Ghoul falls into a similar area for me, it's just not my kind of genre.

iAnby7W.gif

#14 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

I just want to point out I don't eve consider Naruto a universally loved series anymore, at least not in Japan or anywhere there are ACTUAL fans of the story and not just Hinata worshipers

I read that Boruto was bestselling actually. Or most watched. So my answer is Naruto. Idk what else it would be since I dropped all series except one piece.

ナルサク

#15 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

Oh the manga or the anime?

#16 KClaws_2

KClaws_2

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:58 PM

I read that Boruto was bestselling actually. Or most watched. So my answer is Naruto. Idk what else it would be since I dropped all series except one piece.

Compared to what I heard about NARUTO sales, that doesn't sound quite right...

#17 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:26 AM

How much the sell of burito manga? 500k or more?

I don't like any shonen/shoujo ai and Yuri/yaoi.

I don't like stupid apocalypse manga/anime when everybody become stupid for the plot.

Edited by rocci, 20 July 2018 - 03:26 AM.

#18 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

You sure it wasn't the sequel to a bestselling manga? Or is somehow going off US sales?

How much the sell of burito manga? 500k or more?

I don't like any shonen/shoujo ai and Yuri/yaoi.

I don't like stupid apocalypse manga/anime when everybody become stupid for the plot.

http://www.narusaku....=16430&p=967014

Latest sold about 219K in a month in the first week 124,500.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 20 July 2018 - 06:13 PM.

#19 Young Kubrick

Young Kubrick

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Film, music, anime/manga, comics, video games, literature

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:14 AM

Evangelion-There are parts I enjoy. But it is quite slow, and it has this thing in some anime where it's trying to be all smart and philosophical but just comes off as the writers saying "I AM AND ABSOLUTE GENIUS, AND YOU'RE AN IDIOT FOR NOT GETTING ME!" 

I love Evangelion, but yeah it can be a bit pretentious. Although I'll admit I don't have much room to call something pretentious

tumblr_o2ro4zTFoE1ukmr73o1_500.gif

#20 TheFlash7

TheFlash7

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:04 AM

One Piece- I watched a couple of episodes and read a few chapters but just never got into. It's probably how far behind I am that discourges me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users