154 replies to this topic

#21 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Moderately entertaining chapter. Sasuke is still acting like he's a few Pringles short of a stack. And it was nice to kinda catch up with Suigetsu, Juugo and Karin since they aren't getting completely dropped out.

#22 dokueki(venom)

dokueki(venom)

Winnie_Kay

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I liked the chapter. I just hope what Karin is planing is for the good of the war. I also hope that if Itachi meets Sasuke before he goes after Naruto he talk some sense into his yonger brother. Isn't that what big brothers do. Say something like find a girl restore our clan in a good way. Someone mention bring certain people back from the dead. I hope it's not the rest of the Uchiha Clan whom we haven't seen yet. It would be cool though. Uchiha vs Shinobi Alliance vs Tobi/Kabuto. A three way battle maybe four way battler if Tobi and Kabuto turn on each other.

#23 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Feb 15 2012, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Chances are that they were going to search the area anyways; the "fight" just sped it up.
2. ...You did see her behavior, right? I'm pretty sure it was all an act. If it wasn't...well, then, Karin's character development is dead to me.
3. I'm pretty sure that everyone who has "X-ray vision" would be out on the front lines right now, not taking care of a prisoner.

1) Actually no because they were looking for Sasuke and when he wasn't found there they would have just gone to look for him elsewhere, this was a secret room so unless they knew where the entrance was they wouldn't have found it Orichimaru would not want his minions to easily find it afterall.

2) I'll give you the thing about the behaviour possably being a ploy, but why would she want to escape? there is a war going on, she's better off inside at the moment, unless she plans to joins Sasuke, otherwise her relevance to the story ceases to exist and there is no reason to show her possible excape (unless it's a ploy to get her to escape and then follow her to Orichimaru's hideout?) Also if what I think is in the scroll is in the scroll, they are going to need a medic type to handle the prodecure, and Karin and Kabuto are really the only options,and I doubt that Sasuke would trust Kabuto when under sedatives.

3) Actually no because she was caught before the war actually started, she was caught on the same day as the war was declared by Tobi, in that time Tobi handled the operation for Sasuke, Naruto defeated Kyuubi and met his mother, Kabutomaru caught Yamato and powered up the white Zetsu's, and Tobi defeated Konan and took the Rinnigan, it was after that the war officially started...so they had plenty of Hyuuga clan members to check for any weapons. Besides they didn't even need a Hyuuga to check a pair of glasses for consealing a mini blade, or a photoframe for hidden tools.

Edited by harry4e, 15 February 2012 - 03:51 PM.

iAnby7W.gif

#24 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

I think that somebody would always want to escape prison, just on general principle. It's not like she's going to be forced to fight if she does get out although she could be thinking that she might get forced to fight if she remains a prisoner, considering what Orochimaru did to his prisoners. And a war is a great chance to escape because Konoha is overtaxed so the security at the prison is relatively light and they wouldn't be able to pursue her.

#25 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (harry4e @ Feb 15 2012, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow I wonder where this is going to go. --Click here to view--
Very dissapointed in this chapter, They just happened to fight and break the wall that led to Orichimaru's secret research lab. I can only see two possabilites about the content of the scrolls one is it is a way to control people with the Orichimaru's hickey on them and do their bidding, and the other more likely and what i'm leaning towards is to make him like Madara and inject him with the Senju DNA and thus giving him the power-up of the Motoken and unlocking he Rinnigan...And here I was thinking he's done wanking over the power of the Sharingan.

Karin's actions really pissed me off, I found it sickening how she was still crazy over the gay after he tried to kill her, that's another freebie where Sasuke is concerned, he as done nothing to deserve that kind of devotion, infact girls seem to fall over themselves to be with him, even Ino who had close to no interaction with him was crying when he was declared a missing nin.It's a insult to women in general the way Kishi portrays women and their feelings for Sasuke.

And honestly Kishi, Are you telling me that a prisoner of a village with a clan full of ninja that can use X-ray vision would let a frame with sharp objects inside pass inspection?

I'm dissapointed, all the way around...The fact it was Sasuke centric usually puts me off the chapters anyway.

It's past the first page, so I should be fine.

I have to hold off my opinion of this chapter, some of the thing you say I thought, but...

1. Karin could be doing that to convince the guards she nuts (which they think she is) just to escape. So, it could be an act or it could be legit. We'll have to see what she does and says once she is out. I already don't like her character, but if she repeats this kind of thing or actually is still hung up on Sasuke (unless we are talking battered woman syndrome or something akin to Stockholm Syndrome here, it shouldn't be debatable, he tried to kill you and left you to die), then she'll join Shikamaru at the bottom of my character lists.

2. Konoha's prison guards suck. That was an awful lot of stuff she got in the cell. Ninja watching ninja. They should know better. Yeah, credit to her on her part, but those "hiding" spots don't appear to be especially clever.

3. To the person who mentioned redemption for killing Sasuke: In every panel Sasuke looks about one step from completely twisting off and stretches logic to try and justify genocide. He clearly bought into Tobi tales, hook, like, and sinker.

4. Every time I think the Sharingan couldn't get more hacked, it gets more hacked. Now Susanno can fire off multiple Amaterasu without breaking a sweat along with what appeared to be Tsukiyomi. C'mon. I used to thing Kishimoto did such a good job not letting this stuff out of control, but I was clearly mistaken.

5. Sasuke-Itachi--he suggests that, but I'm not convinced it will happen until I see it happen. It would be good, but I still worry he'll pull a Nagato/Naruto on me.

So...I could easily end up despising this chapter, but I'm not ready to do that yet. Have to see what he does.

EDIT:

I think that somebody would always want to escape prison, just on general principle. It's not like she's going to be forced to fight if she does get out although she could be thinking that she might get forced to fight if she remains a prisoner, considering what Orochimaru did to his prisoners. And a war is a great chance to escape because Konoha is overtaxed so the security at the prison is relatively light and they wouldn't be able to pursue her.

Not necessarily. I meet people on a regular basis who like being in jail. My dad had an uncle who purposely wrote hot checks because he liked being in the pen. Roof, bed, three meals a day.

#26 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Feb 16 2012, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's past the first page, so I should be fine.

I have to hold off my opinion of this chapter, some of the thing you say I thought, but...

1. Karin could be doing that to convince the guards she nuts (which they think she is) just to escape. So, it could be an act or it could be legit. We'll have to see what she does and says once she is out. I already don't like her character, but if she repeats this kind of thing or actually is still hung up on Sasuke (unless we are talking battered woman syndrome or something akin to Stockholm Syndrome here, it shouldn't be debatable, he tried to kill you and left you to die), then she'll join Shikamaru at the bottom of my character lists.

2. Konoha's prison guards suck. That was an awful lot of stuff she got in the cell. Ninja watching ninja. They should know better. Yeah, credit to her on her part, but those "hiding" spots don't appear to be especially clever.

3. To the person who mentioned redemption for killing Sasuke: In every panel Sasuke looks about one step from completely twisting off and stretches logic to try and justify genocide. He clearly bought into Tobi tales, hook, like, and sinker.

4. Every time I think the Sharingan couldn't get more hacked, it gets more hacked. Now Susanno can fire off multiple Amaterasu without breaking a sweat along with what appeared to be Tsukiyomi. C'mon. I used to thing Kishimoto did such a good job not letting this stuff out of control, but I was clearly mistaken.

5. Sasuke-Itachi--he suggests that, but I'm not convinced it will happen until I see it happen. It would be good, but I still worry he'll pull a Nagato/Naruto on me.

So...I could easily end up despising this chapter, but I'm not ready to do that yet. Have to see what he does.

EDIT:

Not necessarily. I meet people on a regular basis who like being in jail. My dad had an uncle who purposely wrote hot checks because he liked being in the pen. Roof, bed, three meals a day.

I believe in most of what you say but just two things.

1. Why is Shikamaru in the bottom of your list? shamefulcry0js.gif

4. I thought it was inevitable that Sasuke gets a power up because, then Naruto vs. Sasuke will be a bit too one-sided with the tremendous power up Naruto is getting each chapter.
268702-181926-kaworu-nagisa.jpg

#27 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Feb 15 2012, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, not always. I was sloppy with my phrasing. Most people? tongue.gif

Either way, Karin doesn't strike me as the sort to want to sit around just because it's safer.

#28 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Feb 10 2012, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mellow.gif ..... Now that Sasuke is back in the picture it's time to see how ungodly powerful he is in comparison to ungodly powerful Naruto. It's Gonna Happen.

+100 xp for me.

Karin was acting, gets the guards out of the way.

There's always something to give Naruto or Sasuke a power-up isn't there?

But I'm in the camp someone is going to get killed off now. Question is who.

#29 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Like others, I'm hoping that Karin's behaviour is all an act to try and fool her guards. If she was still chasing Sasuke after everything that happened, I'd want to hit Kishimoto on the back of his head with a rolled-up newspaper. It'd be great if Karin was striking out on her own, or trying to find Suigetsu and Juugo to warn them about Sasuke's behaviour.

Speaking of Suigetsu and Juugo, they were cast aside and now they want to give Sasuke a present, which they just happened to find lying on a table in Oro's secret room, which they just happened to find? ermm.gif

Ehh... I don't know. It all feels like dodgy ground at the moment, let's see how it all plays out.

It seems that Sasuke won't kill any Konoha ninja until he faces off against Naruto. Hopefully, it'll be Itachi vs Sasuke and the conclusion of Tobi vs Naruto before we get to Naruto vs Sasuke.

#30 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Feb 15 2012, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, not always. I was sloppy with my phrasing. Most people? tongue.gif

Either way, Karin doesn't strike me as the sort to want to sit around just because it's safer.

Yeah, that's fair.

Like others, I'm hoping that Karin's behaviour is all an act to try and fool her guards. If she was still chasing Sasuke after everything that happened, I'd want to hit Kishimoto on the back of his head with a rolled-up newspaper. It'd be great if Karin was striking out on her own, or trying to find Suigetsu and Juugo to warn them about Sasuke's behaviour.

Speaking of Suigetsu and Juugo, they were cast aside and now they want to give Sasuke a present, which they just happened to find lying on a table in Oro's secret room, which they just happened to find?

I think Hawk was imposed by his editor and it kinda shows.

Seriously, on so many levels their existence makes absolutely no sense. Karin as an individual did, but them as a a team doesn't.

I tried to read it as being intentional because if is not then it's one of the most "how convenient" moments I've ever seen . Stuff like this is why I constantly question their existence because they have no identifiable purpose and, with the exception of Karin, never did.

#31 Minori

Minori

しし {shishi}

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

► It's obvious that Karin was acting, I mean, just look at her expression when she was listening to what her guards were talking about. And hey, nice glasses she's got there! tongue.gif
► Suigetsu's getting even more suspicious. I wonder what his true intentions are...

#32 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Feb 15 2012, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I agree, these are ninja guards in a ninja jail, the elite of the elite — so where did she get any of that stuff? A canvas or sketchbook, drawing/painting tools? Geez, posh. And she's clearly acting to get them to leave her alone. (I'm sure there's a trope title somewhere about that technique.) But like you I'm disappointed in the lack of stealthiness here. If she had done that act then slipped off her glasses and, when she was sure they weren't looking, dismantled the glasses to show how she had repurposed them to be lock picks then I would have been impressed. That's appropriate behavior for a nin: using the harmless items at hand to make a weapon or tool. Instead it looks like she stopped by the local drug store and got a stocking-stuffer two-in-one manicure and lock-picking set.

edit: oh yeah, anyone else think suigetsu might be the next dark horse villain?

edit edit: OK, I just looked at the panel again and the glasses do have sawblades hidden in the arms. Points for Karin. But what's with the ninja who says "Hey she's got a picture. Didn't we confiscate that from her?" A picture, and one thick enough to hide tools in, should have been taken away. Instead of Karin looking like a ninja, we get the good ninjas looking like keystone cops.

And if Karin's crafty enough to arm her glasses with blades...does she really need to carry a separate lock-picking set? Couldn't she have worked that into the structure of the glasses too? She needs to re-read her Martha Stewart magazine. The ninja issue.

Edited by tricksie, 15 February 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#33 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Why is Shikamaru in the bottom of your list?

I think he's a stu and I don't like the lazy genuis stereotype.

► It's obvious that Karin was acting, I mean, just look at her expression when she was listening to what her guards were talking about. And hey, nice glasses she's got there!

Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us much about what she actually thinks about Sasuke, which is what I really want to know. And I still don't get how they missed that. If I ever get put in jail, I want it to be Konoha. You ninja, suck.

#34 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

I love how Sasuke is going after the K11, because even he knows that only Naruto is on his level. I mean, we all saw the Kakashi vs Sasuke fight. Kakashi was done for.

Left Hand to the Future Pirate King

Vinsmoke "Black Leg" Sanji

2XtVwF6.png

#35 Minori

Minori

しし {shishi}

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Feb 15 2012, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us much about what she actually thinks about Sasuke, which is what I really want to know. And I still don't get how they missed that. If I ever get put in jail, I want it to be Konoha. You ninja, suck.

True. She was still carrying that picture-that-is-actually-a-spy-toolkit of him, so she still might have some lingering feelings for him, but I don't think she's stupid enough to join him again/want to be with him after what he's done to her. She can do better.

#36 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Feb 15 2012, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, I agree, these are ninja guards in a ninja jail, the elite of the elite — so where did she get any of that stuff? A canvas or sketchbook, drawing/painting tools? Geez, posh. And she's clearly acting to get them to leave her alone. (I'm sure there's a trope title somewhere about that technique.) But like you I'm disappointed in the lack of stealthiness here. If she had done that act then slipped off her glasses and, when she was sure they weren't looking, dismantled the glasses to show how she had repurposed them to be lock picks then I would have been impressed. That's appropriate behavior for a nin: using the harmless items at hand to make a weapon or tool. Instead it looks like she stopped by the local drug store and got a stocking-stuffer two-in-one manicure and lock-picking set.

What bugs me as ninja, they are supposed to look underneath the underneath. The first lesson of ninja Kishimoto basically sets forth.

I've actually seen some of the things inmate make while in jail and a lot of that is genuinely clever. I remember one who had managed to make a paint sent for herself; the brush, she made out of her own hair. I forget what the paint was made out of. Normal prison guards are supposed to be throurough when they search you before you placed in jail precisely to prevent people from getting access to the things she has.

Where did the lock pick set actually come from? Is the sketchbook hers because if it is and they did not check it then they are too stupid to be prison guards. You do not let an inmate into a cell with personal property without, at the very least, checking for this kind of thing (usually it's just outright seized until you get out and the materials you get (to the extent you get them at all) are provided by the jail). If it not then it suggests she had that set on her to begin with, so was she searched at all?

I'd have more respect for them if she had done what you described. Inmates do a lot of that.

The whole thing feels like they just threw her in there without checking anything when they should, as a matter of protocol be checking everything.

True. She was still carrying that picture-that-is-actually-a-spy-toolkit of him, so she still might have some lingering feelings for him, but I don't think she's stupid enough to join him again/want to be with him after what he's done to her. She can do better.

That's the hope. I tend to agree with catsi about them playing a role in his redemption, which kind of worries me a bit on that front.

#37 dokueki(venom)

dokueki(venom)

Winnie_Kay

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

The Konoha Nin reminds of the scene from Super Troopers by leaving two of the dumbest guys around guarding the place while everone else is at war. LOL!

#38 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Feb 15 2012, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he's a stu and I don't like the lazy genuis stereotype.

C'mon, what did you expect from Konoha? You saw how inept their ANBU and defense plans were in part one. But I gotta agree that this level of incompetence is pretty tough to handwave away. But still, And yet I persevere! I'm just adding it to the list of things about the manga that I'm ignoring. I really think that Kishi had things pretty carefully laid out up until a point and knows where he ultimately wants them to go, but hasn't figured out how to get them there yet.

#39 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

So far Karin and team Hawk seem to be going in the direction I thought they might.

Karin, Yep thats my clever little red head. The picture probably is a sealing scroll cleverly hidden with tools for her. The act is brilliant and right in character especially if you remember when she was first interrogated she had the interrogators eating out of her hands with a sob story.

It took Ibiki stepping in to get down to business, and even he didnt get anything useful out of her that she didnt want to give.

Suigetuss discovery also interests me as well.

Im beginning to think that Sasukes redemption may very well be somethign Ciardha sugegsted earlier. Team Hawk helps to bring him back and when theyre done Sasuke and the team take off on a ronin wandering lifestyle type of deal.

we'll have to see but things are getting verrrrry interesting.

Qucik edit. Just reread that and yep she cleverly concealed some lockpick tools in the picture no sealing scroll. The guard explains though why she has it. She reacts violently whern he tries to take it and behaves when they leave it with her.

So conclusion shes acting and tis an oscar worthy one.

Edited by catsi563, 15 February 2012 - 07:35 PM.

My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#40 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

By the way, the things under Karin's portrait are lockpicking tools.... Dunno if anyone realized it....

Also, the grammar in this translation is atrocious. Couldn't focus on the story....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users