220 replies to this topic

#1 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

So after all the teasing this past month, Sony has revealed their trump card in the next-gen console wars.

The Specs:

8 Gigs of Ram? On-par with most computer systems now. I believe I have 8 gb of ram as well. But Windows Xp uses half of that.
The GPU looks impressive, running the Havok software test with a million objects with no lag.

The controller:

The new interface:

I'm sure you can find the rest yourself online. PS Cloud looks interesting. fu.png

#2 MangaReader

MangaReader

I'm the Greatest Ever!!

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Drawing
    Animating
    Watching TV

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

Of coarse... probably gonna have to wait on this like I did the PS3.

sad_naruto_sig_by_mangafreak17-d81c8fy.p

Even if I'm not the one to make you happy

#3 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

I'm looking foward to see what gameplay looks like. But I obviously won't be getting my hands on it this year. For some reason the controller looks lame as hell to me.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#4 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

Why does everyone hate on the controller?

New look! I like it!

#5 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Eh, I don't really like it. It's too squared, too simple, the older controller looks fancier to me.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#6 neoshadow

neoshadow

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

My big problem with the controller is that it just seems kind of messy, it feels like its trying to be too many things, it has a touch pad AND its motion controlled AND it has share features AND it has a light bar to track movements. But as I said in the thread I like that the triggers have been redesigned (so hopefully they're much better than the ps3 ones) and I like that they've used the Vita's d-pad. I'm glad that they've kept the same base design and haven't made it more like the Xbox controllers, I prefer both analog sticks at the base.

#7 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

Huh. Well unless there are some new games that I actually want for this I may not buy it. Perfectly happy with my PS3. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cloud @ Feb 20 2013, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why does everyone hate on the controller?

New look! I like it!

What's the difference? dry.gif

QUOTE (alexander @ Feb 20 2013, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh, I don't really like it. It's too squared, too simple, the older controller looks fancier to me.

I just see the same thing fancied up, that's all

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#8 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

Both next box and PS4 are running on AMD so i suspect game programming and ports to be much easier now. As for the controller i'm glad they kept the classic controller design with added motion capability instead of using a wond, remote, or oversize bulky pad. Sony has a few good launch titles this time around and i hope the Crash Bandicoot music was a teaser.

Edited by Dreamer, 21 February 2013 - 03:48 AM.

#9 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (Dreamer @ Feb 20 2013, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both next box and PS4 are running on AMD so i suspect game programming and ports to be much easier now. As for the controller i'm glad they kept the classic controller design with added motion capability instead of using a wond, remote, or oversize bulky pad. Sony has a few good launch titles this time around and i hope the Crash Bandicoot music was a teaser.

No nextbox for me this year. Only have money to support one company. The rest of the money I'm saving for a trip.

And, no. There will be no more Crash Bandicoot. Someone else owns the IP now and frankly, it died with the Playstation.

#10 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

Hardware smarware. What are the game gonna be like? That's my questions.

It's great that we have all this hardware tech, but if the games suck what's the point?

Also, Ex-nay on the backward capability. I have seen game modders that can make a system that can play all games on it, you mean to tell me the big wigs can't make a system that does the same thing or at least play their own line of games? They say it is hardware and programming issues, but come on. I just think it is lazy.
My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#11 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

I saw the conference. Overall, it was nice and some of the ideas are pretty interesting, including the cloud watching, such as watching your friends playing and comment them. My cons are well no price announced, no design is shown, and vague info on online. Another problem is the controller, since it does look like a bit bulky and kind of gimmicky (?). Other than that, games looks great. Tech power on the watch to me would be that Capcom game. It looks incredible and shows how next gen consoles power are. Killzone SF did look great, but knowing the game, it's cool. It only makes me wish for Halo 5 demo. That would be beautiful.

Overall, a pretty good presentation with more info waiting to be unfold. It better not be 599 US dollars.

#12 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

If Xbox doesn't release a new console themselves, I may have to switch to Playstation. arg.gif

Left Hand to the Future Pirate King

Vinsmoke "Black Leg" Sanji

2XtVwF6.png

#13 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

Calling it: It's going to be crazy expensive. But, hey, looks pretty neat. I'm going to sit back watch this thing play out before I make any final judgements.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#14 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

Now I see that they have sleep mode and you can jump in and out of games to use the other system features, like with Vita, and be able to return to the point in the game you were at without loading and all that jazz. Yes yes and yes.

QUOTE (FoolishYoungling @ Feb 21 2013, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Xbox doesn't release a new console themselves, I may have to switch to Playstation. arg.gif

They will. They just are going to be late in announcing it. Pretty sure nextbox will be announced in the coming months and released Holiday 2013

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Feb 20 2013, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hardware smarware. What are the game gonna be like? That's my questions.

It's great that we have all this hardware tech, but if the games suck what's the point?

Also, Ex-nay on the backward capability. I have seen game modders that can make a system that can play all games on it, you mean to tell me the big wigs can't make a system that does the same thing or at least play their own line of games? They say it is hardware and programming issues, but come on. I just think it is lazy.

If the games suck, then it will wither and die. That part is obvious and can be said for every console.

Hardware not mattering though? Uh...it does. That is what runs the software. Better hardware means less limitations, and more tools for developers to use. If hardware wasn't a big deal, Nintendo could have just stayed with the Wii and not have to bother with the next gen competitors. The WiiU's lacking hardware is a big reason why the console is posting record losses, outside consumers feel like it is made to compete with the current gen instead of the next gen.

Edited by Mik3, 21 February 2013 - 05:21 AM.

\

#15 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (FoolishYoungling @ Feb 21 2013, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry, they will have it and it will be announced next month at GDC.

#16 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

Isn't nextbox going to be called xBox 720, or was that speculation?

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#17 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE (Mik3 @ Feb 21 2013, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I see that they have sleep mode and you can jump in and out of games to use the other system features, like with Vita, and be able to return to the point in the game you were at without loading and all that jazz. Yes yes and yes.

They will. They just are going to be late in announcing it. Pretty sure nextbox will be announced in the coming months and released Holiday 2013

If the games suck, then it will wither and die. That part is obvious and can be said for every console.

Hardware not mattering though? Uh...it does. That is what runs the software. Better hardware means less limitations, and more tools for developers to use. If hardware wasn't a big deal, Nintendo could have just stayed with the Wii and not have to bother with the next gen competitors. The WiiU's lacking hardware is a big reason why the console is posting record losses, outside consumers feel like it is made to compete with the current gen instead of the next gen.

Truth

And as far as BC goes, The PS4 won't use the same difficult Cell architecture that the PS3 has. That's why it won't have native backwards compatibility. Though it's the right choice because developing for the PS4 will be much easier, which means better multiplatform games.

#18 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (KonaKonaFan @ Feb 21 2013, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't nextbox going to be called xBox 720, or was that speculation?

Speculation for now. We don't know the title at this time.

#19 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (Mik3 @ Feb 20 2013, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, my words are taken so literal. Jesus. Say one opinion and people jump down your throat.

Should I say "unnecessary hardware" then? One problem the consoles are having is that they have all these unnecessary Hardware that eats up space. I don't need my system to have all these do-dads I am not really gonna use. I don't need my PS4 or Xboxnext to turn on the lights in my house or connect it to my fridge. Sure I am giving a hyperbole, but you get my drift.

Motion sensors? Why do we need this? A regular controller is just fine. I never understood the concept of the Playstation move and Xbox kinect. Blu-ray or red-ray? Well, I don't care as long as the games are good.

Then we have features that I don't really care about. Connect it to twitter? Why? I don't need to surf the net on my console. All I need it to do is maybe two things. Play games and watch movies on netflix. Everything else I have never used. Not once. Even the avatars are boring me. Buy all these clothes for an imaginary person? Again why? Can't we focus on making good games?

Take example. My NES and SNES. Compared to PS3 and PS4, it is a relic, yet I can think of tons of games for it that far surpass the PS3 games by a mile. When you're too busy focusing on the hardware and features and not enough on games themselves it tends to go down the tubes.

I don't even have to look far for this. Look at the PS2. It didn't have all the stuff the PS3 had, yet it's games were not only ten times better, but there were a lot more of them to choose from and of such wide variety. The PS2 has been far more successful, not because of blu-ray or some stupid gimmick, but because the games themselves were awesome and some were even great ideas that just spanned the imagination.

Hardware is great, but if you have no games, what's the point? I rather have outdated hardware with awesome games then have the most updated hardware with no games. I can only think of 3 games I wanted to play on the PS3. The rest either were on my xbox or not worth playing at all.

Sony need some real game developers for once that will only make for the PS4

Bolded: From what I have heard from my developer friends, that's not true either. Some have even said that the PS3 got so complicated that it got hard to program games for it. So, less limitations? Not from what I have heard. I even hear that is why some developers went to the xbox simply because it was easier to program for.

Here is an even bigger problem. I have been gaming a long time. A very long time. I have every single system from the NES to the PS2. I never bought a PS3. Why? Because I had no reason to. Dropping that much money on a system to play nothing? And again, all the games I wanted to play ended up being on the Xbox anyway along with most of my friends. So...what else? People pestered me because of blu-ray....so what?

The games have always been the biggest selling point of any console. Recently, it has been online play too.

And if the history of gaming shows, hardware alone didn't make a system great. Look at the Jaguar. That system sucked yet was said to have the latest hardware. Look at tons of other systems that at the time had updated hardware yet failed miserably because it was over-hyped and the games sucked. Virtual Boy.

I don't care about the system itself anymore. If anything PC tops it all, so hardware alone I should just buy a PC. So what else can the console give me besides "hardware" gimmicks? Let's see if they can do better with the PS4 then they did with the PS3 and all the hype it had or is it just going to be another repeat?

No matter what, it comes down to the games. I don't care about graphics that much nor about the power of the console. Let me see the games, then I will make a choice.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 21 February 2013 - 06:31 AM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#20 Chucky-kun

Chucky-kun

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

Bring on the new round of fanboy wars.