124 replies to this topic

#1 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Since square made the announcement I think it was before XIII-2 was even release. They finally started showing the concept art of what it will be part 3 of the XIII saga.

http://www.ign.com/a...246965925417366

Honestly I'm not expecting anything since I'm still disappointed with the ending of the last game I won't keep my hopes up until a teaser trailer is release. Square has been waiting to do this for a long time hopefully this game will have a happy ending because if it ends like the second then I will be enrage. mad.gif

I'm more enraged.... --Click here to view--
The fact they canceled versus to start working on this game.

Edited by Gravenimage, 02 September 2012 - 10:56 AM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#2 Nefertieh

Nefertieh

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Versus isn't cancelled, but it might be renamed.

I honestly think Square should stop making sequels that piggyback on its predecessor's name. Their stories never have proper ends anymore, only more questions, which really cuts into the game's overall quality.

Edited by Nefertieh, 02 September 2012 - 01:44 PM.

Follow the Yahoo JP ratings for The Last here.

#3 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

*Adds another game to his list of games to buy.*

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#4 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Whatever comes to mind

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Nefertieh @ Sep 2 2012, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I honestly think Square should stop making sequels that piggyback on its predecessor's name. Their stories never have proper ends anymore, only more questions, which really cuts into the game's overall quality.

this isn't new though it is new to final fantasy games the list of japanese rpg sequels prequels side stories etc is massive just most of them never see north american shores

Edited by Verilance, 02 September 2012 - 03:24 PM.

Yotsubato! - Enjoy Everything!

#5 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Sep 2 2012, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly I'm not expecting anything since I'm still disappointed with the ending of the last game I won't keep my hopes up until a teaser trailer is release. Square has been waiting to do this for a long time hopefully this game will have a happy ending because if it ends like the second then I will be enrage. mad.gif

^ This.

QUOTE (Nefertieh @ Sep 2 2012, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^ And this.

I haven't forgiven Square for the crap plot and ending of FF 13-2 yet, so I can't even be excited about a 3rd game in the series. All I can think of is just how they're going to screw the characters over next dry.gif

There's no innovation over at Square Enix anymore. They're golden age of good game storytelling and plot ended before FF X.

#6 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Sep 2 2012, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ This.

^ And this.

I haven't forgiven Square for the crap plot and ending of FF 13-2 yet, so I can't even be excited about a 3rd game in the series. All I can think of is just how they're going to screw the characters over next dry.gif

There's no innovation over at Square Enix anymore. They're golden age of good game storytelling and plot ended before FF X.

Yep I'm with you. sleep.gif But I'm willing to give square a chance depending on the teaser trailer and some hints of the story.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#7 Abel Nightroad

Abel Nightroad

The Phoenix Nin

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

I was actually going to post a thread about rumors I had been hearing about this and what the gamers and Final Fantasy fans here thought of how 'official' it was.

As for last good FF game, that always has been and always will be a matter of opinion. I own and have played X, X-2, XII, XII; Revenant Wings, XIII, and XIII-2 and enjoyed them all.

Personally, if there is a XIII-3, I will buy a copy. I had fun with the real time timing of swapping pardines (or however it is spelled), in both XIII and XIII-2, so I hope they continue to expand on that for XIII-3. The capturing and leveling of monsters in XIII-2...just seemed Pokemon to me (which they continued in Kingdom Hearts: Dream, Drop, Distance, it seems) and it was annoying having to try collecting new, good ones when older ones reached their limits and were no longer useful in a fight....and, truthfully, have to say I enjoyed the character interactions of the full team in XIII better.
"What use is a word with but one meaning?"

#8 Nefertieh

Nefertieh

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Sep 3 2012, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ This.

^ And this.

Amen.

QUOTE (Verilance @ Sep 3 2012, 03:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this isn't new though it is new to final fantasy games the list of japanese rpg sequels prequels side stories etc is massive just most of them never see north american shores

No, most Final Fantasy games do get released outside of Japan. The only exceptions are th International re-releases, cellphone games, and the guidebooks. It wasn't until FFX-2 when they started milking like there was no tomorrow.

Edited by Nefertieh, 03 September 2012 - 09:11 AM.

Follow the Yahoo JP ratings for The Last here.

#9 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

That is why I said it was new to Final Fantasy, though in the beginning some of them weren't released in the US FFII, FFIII FFV spring to mind some other series have been going on forever in Japan and we have only seen one or two games at best

also Squeenix is much more than Final Fantasy the Square part of Square Enix is a minor at best. SquareEnix just released DragonQuest X in Japan for the Wii and it is doing very well for a MMORPG in Japan (though critics will say it is not doing well for a DQ game)

Edited by Verilance, 03 September 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#10 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Verilance @ Sep 3 2012, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also Squeenix is much more than Final Fantasy the Square part of Square Enix is a minor at best.

I'm referring in terms of the FF series, they seem to have hit an innovation roadblock.

#11 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

innovation you don't like is still innovation Shauna, I really enjoyed FFXIII-2 even with what you call "the crappy ending" I found the tweaks to the FFXIII gameplay to be just right.

but we will always disagree on this point and I do respect the right for you to have an opinion I just don't seem to agree with it.

on an aside note

right now I am playing DragonQuest IX and it is so much fun I can't put it down, if DQ X comes to America I might actually buy a WII U just to play it, no Nintendo game could ever make me buy a WII-U. For me Square Enix is making games I like to play and that is good enough

Edited by Verilance, 03 September 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#12 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Verilance @ Sep 3 2012, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
innovation you don't like is still innovation Shauna, I really enjoyed FFXIII-2 even with what you call "the crappy ending" I found the tweaks to the FFXIII gameplay to be just right.

but we will always disagree on this point and I do respect the right for you to have an opinion I just don't seem to agree with it.

I didn't say I don't like the innovation. I said there was no innovation. Just milking a horse that has long since dried up...like all the many 'side' Kingdom Hearts games. And of course, there's also the on-going drama/fiasco with FF Versus 13. Innovation at SE seems to have run dry. Agree to disagree is fine with me. Se hasn't been impressing me lately, which breaks my heart because I have been a loyal fan/follower from day one, and bought each and every single game they released with the exception of the 'online' games, FF 11 and FF 14.

#13 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Nefertieh @ Sep 2 2012, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's probably a good idea to drop the Xiii link to the Versus title anyway, Xiii doesn't have the best stigma attached to it, and it would be difficult to link it with the xiii universe, when you consider that universe now spans over hundreds of years, and in the case of the latest game in another world completely. If they want the game to succeed they need to detach any threads it has linking it to Lightning's adventure.

I have no idea what to think of this game, from first impressions, with the exception of playing as Lightning, there doesn't appear to be any link to the previous games, which makes me wonder if we'll get a proper conclusion...I hope SE are not thinking that when fans asked for a proper conclusion to Lightnings saga, they want a conclusion to the whole story, not just her being reborn and saving the world again, I want to see a definitive conclusion to the title, I want to see the botch-up ending of the last game reset, and for Lightning to end up at the point where she was at the end of the first game. And it hope it's not something along the line of, you save this world from ending and we'll turn back the hands of time and nothing that happened after xiii will ever take place.

I don't know how I fee about playing as Lightning with not backup, and the whole set time mechanic, for me JRPG's are about exploring, having fun, grinding doing side missions and collecting loot, a timer is not something I care too much for. Only thing that interests me in this is the reequip during battle, I'm hoping this means we can customis the charactors look as well, if so i'm thinking giving her red hair and calling her Erza.

iAnby7W.gif

#14 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (harry4e @ Sep 3 2012, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's probably a good idea to drop the Xiii link to the Versus title anyway, Xiii doesn't have the best stigma attached to it, and it would be difficult to link it with the xiii universe, when you consider that universe now spans over hundreds of years, and in the case of the latest game in another world completely. If they want the game to succeed they need to detach any threads it has linking it to Lightning's adventure.

I have no idea what to think of this game, from first impressions, with the exception of playing as Lightning, there doesn't appear to be any link to the previous games, which makes me wonder if we'll get a proper conclusion...I hope SE are not thinking that when fans asked for a proper conclusion to Lightnings saga, they want a conclusion to the whole story, not just her being reborn and saving the world again, I want to see a definitive conclusion to the title, I want to see the botch-up ending of the last game reset, and for Lightning to end up at the point where she was at the end of the first game. And it hope it's not something along the line of, you save this world from ending and we'll turn back the hands of time and nothing that happened after xiii will ever take place.

I don't know how I fee about playing as Lightning with not backup, and the whole set time mechanic, for me JRPG's are about exploring, having fun, grinding doing side missions and collecting loot, a timer is not something I care too much for. Only thing that interests me in this is the reequip during battle, I'm hoping this means we can customis the charactors look as well, if so i'm thinking giving her red hair and calling her Erza.

You're right I'm certain square isn't going to kill versus for good. They will probably rename it to FFXV and it might finally be release in 2014 since I know XIII-3 will be release next year.

Edited by Gravenimage, 03 September 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#15 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (harry4e @ Sep 3 2012, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
II have no idea what to think of this game, from first impressions, with the exception of playing as Lightning, there doesn't appear to be any link to the previous games, which makes me wonder if we'll get a proper conclusion...I hope SE are not thinking that when fans asked for a proper conclusion to Lightnings saga, they want a conclusion to the whole story, not just her being reborn and saving the world again, I want to see a definitive conclusion to the title, I want to see the botch-up ending of the last game reset, and for Lightning to end up at the point where she was at the end of the first game. And it hope it's not something along the line of, you save this world from ending and we'll turn back the hands of time and nothing that happened after xiii will ever take place.

This is my biggest problem with FF 13-2. It...never...should have...happened.

It effectively made everything that happened in FF 13, and all the sacrifices and heartache the characters went through null and void. Lightning sacrificed so much and went through so much pain to save the whole damn world, and what's the reward that she gets? No one else on the whole planet even believes she exists anymore. And the only person who does, her sister Serah, is thought to be crazy because she does believe. It was a huge slap in the face to Lightning's character and the gamers who played the game, as it was as if the game developers just said "look all that time you spent with this character and all the others, all those dozens and dozens of hours you devoted to the story of FF 13? We're just going to chuck that all out the window now, kthxbai."

All that heartache that Snow went through for Serah? Let's just throw in this random new character named Noel, and make some 'chemistry' happen between him and Serah. And let's regulate Snow to a background character, who holds little to no relevance to Serah's life anymore, even though he tried so hard and put in so much love and effort to save her in FF 13. And then let's
ending spoilers --Click here to view--
kill off/crystallize everyone
at the end of this nonsensical-plot game, and then confuse the players and the situation even more by adding a bunch of random 'endings', so you don't actually know what the hell is going on anymore; or know what the 'true' ending actually is, because all of them can be this elusive 'true' ending according to the developers. Oh, and none of the so-called endings are actually a decent 'good' ending.

As I said FF 13-2 didn't need to happen. And now I can not fathom why they're making another sequel to what already was an unnecessary unneeded sequel. Square Enix is quickly losing a ton of the great respect I've always had for them, which is very sad as I've been one of their biggest fans for over half my life. That's nearly 2 decades of pure love and steadfast faith for this company. Sadly with the milking and milking of the Kingdom Hearts series with no true KH3 yet in sight; with the now milking of FF 13 and what seems to be another series of pointless endless sequels; with the disaster of FF 14 and the almost none-caring attitude for this game's botched launch/mechanics/menus/gameplay/etc by the game developers, and with FF Versus 13 being tossed into the wind over and over again, even someone who has loved this company for most of their life, will get pretty tired of the BS that's happening. And right now, I'm pretty damn tired.

#16 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Sep 2 2012, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since square made the announcement I think it was before XIII-2 was even release. They finally started showing the concept art of what it will be part 3 of the XIII saga.

http://www.ign.com/a...246965925417366

I'm more enraged.... --Click here to view--
The fact they canceled versus to start working on this game.

Yup. I told people they wouldn't like the ending. So yeah anyways I thought they might go through with it since they created the concept before but put on halt to consider whether or not to really do it. BTW Did anyone get get the DLC "Requiem of the Goddess"? It explains why Lightning was crystallized at the ending.

Edited by Phantom_999, 13 September 2012 - 11:47 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#17 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

More info on the game apparently:

Fanboys and fangirls are going to have a field trip --Click here to view--
Hope seems to be alive and he will be giving advises to Lightning through a communication device.

http://www.siliconer...d-hope-estheim/

The gameplay is starting to sound like Dissidia.

Edited by Gravenimage, 14 September 2012 - 12:01 AM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#18 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I'll admit I was pretty damn pissed at FF XIII-2 because of the way it ended, the way they sidelined certain characters, and the general plot of the story. But I do love Lightning. And Square Enix is milking the kittene out of this cash cow, yes. But I do love Lightning. And she looks pretty badass fighting in this trailer. So...I guess I'll look forward to this game.

#19 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

As a newcomer to the series, (as in within the last two weeks) I'm pretty excited for this. It's my first set of FF games, so many of the problems that most FF fans have with XIII and XIII-2, I don't. The end of the second one sort of demanded this "sequel"...and I'd rather they milk this then leave us with that crap ending. If they can deliver a good ending, I'll be appeased at least.
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#20 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Shouldn't this thread be emerge with the first one I made from a long time ago?
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users