Close
Photo

Do you believe homosexuality is a choice?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 Luna

Luna

aespa

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

I frequent another forum called "ATRL" which is mostly about music. This forum is mostly made up of homosexuals. I'm one of the few girls on there but anyways I digress. They were saying that they were born gay. And that it is more of an innate thing, rather than a choice. Do you agree that people are born gay and that gay babies exists or do you believe it is a choice? (Hope I don't offend anyone)

Edited by Baka chan, 05 June 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#2 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

Why is this a question? It's easy. Is your sexuality a choice? Of course not. Gays are no different.

ナルサク

#3 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

I don't think it is...just as heterosexuals are attracted to the opposite gender, homosexuals are attracted to the same gender. Is part of one's biology. You can't change that fact. You are not with a partner because you are gay or straight. You are with a love partner because you are attracted to that person.

Edit: Apparently that prefix is considered an insult. I guess Homosapien should be consider insulting as well then?

Edited by Strangelove, 06 June 2014 - 01:02 AM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#4 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

It is kind of a choice. Everyone in the whole world is at least a little bit gay. That gay part of you is either really miniscule, or just a really big part of you - and that's when people are "born" that way, because they are the ones that really can't help the way they are. That's why there are actually more bisexuals then straight out homosexuals, because they're the ones that are trying it out, and if they happen to like it, it stays that way.

Homosexuality is becoming a bigger and bigger thing now a days, and I think it is safe to assume that it isn't just from influence, it's from ourselves. I mean I used to think I was gay, cause I thought girls were hot xD But I realized this was actually kind of normal thing among my friends. And I'm pretty sure I'm straight anyways, even though I do admire girls sometimes.

It's probably much more different (and awkward) with guys, but I wouldn't know (I probably wouldn't want to know..)

So it's a pretty debatable topic. Sometimes it's a choice, sometimes it's just not, it really depends on a lot of things...

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#5 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

It is kind of a choice. Everyone in the whole world is at least a little bit gay. That gay part of you is either really miniscule, or just a really big part of you - and that's when people are "born" that way, because they are the ones that really can't help the way they are. That's why there are actually more bisexuals then straight out homosexuals, because they're the ones that are trying it out, and if they happen to like it, it stays that way.

That's what some people believe and when someome brings an opposition argument always comes with "you should come out" and other fallacies.
I dont think everyone is a bit gay.

Homosexuality is becoming a bigger and bigger thing now a days, and I think it is safe to assume that it isn't just from influence, it's from ourselves. I mean I used to think I was gay, cause I thought girls were hot xD But I realized this was actually kind of normal thing among my friends. And I'm pretty sure I'm straight anyways, even though I do admire girls sometimes.

Nope, i just think that the media coverage towards this topic got way bigger, dont know who started it but it's being used as a device to divide the society there are more people on the streets demanding "gay rights" than "more education, health, security, jobs and etc..."
SK-303_image007.jpg

#6 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

It could be a choice. By choice I mean not born that way. For example if someone had a really traumatizing experience with the opposite sex and can't be intimate with them anymore. Hence they turn to their own sex.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#7 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

It's probably much more different (and awkward) with guys, but I wouldn't know (I probably wouldn't want to know..)

So it's a pretty debatable topic. Sometimes it's a choice, sometimes it's just not, it really depends on a lot of things...

Well I think there's a difference between admiring someone's body and feeling sexually attracted to it. I can admire girls with a nice in-shape body, but it's male anatomy that I find sexually appealing.

Anyway, for the main topic, I think a bit of both. Like you may not be able to help who you're attracted to, but you can choose to act on it or not.

Edited by questdrivencollie, 05 June 2014 - 08:17 PM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#8 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

I dont think everyone is a bit gay.

Ever heard of the Kinsey scale? It ranges from 0 - X, 0 being completely straight, X being  completely asexual. A majority of the people in this world is at least a bit bisexual. It depends on where you fall on the scale, and on your preferences (which come from your genes). But if you don't want to believe it, that's fine. It's just an opinion.

Nope, i just think that the media coverage towards this topic got way bigger, dont know who started it but it's being used as a device to divide the society there are more people on the streets demanding "gay rights" than "more education, health, security, jobs and etc..."

Yeah. Homosexuality just became a more popular thing. But that doesn't mean that it comes from influence, and influence only. We are the ones that choose, whether the influence affects us or not. In a way people are born with it, but it is also a choice in several ways.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

#9 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Well I think there's a difference between admiring someone's body and feeling sexually attracted to it. I can admire girls with a nice in-shape body, but it's male anatomy that I find sexually appealing.

Anyway, for the main topic, I think a bit of both. Like you may not be able to help who you're attracted to, but you can choose to act on it or not.

Yeah, I figured that out a looooong time ago. I'm definitely more into dudes anyway... lol

And I agree, that it is a bit of both.

#10 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

If you mean as a matter of preference, I wouldn't know. I've heard plenty of assertions that studies indicate that the answer is no, but I am not personally familiar with any of them.

As others have stated, regardless of whether you attractions are a choice you acts in furtherance of them are. I guess it depends if the OP means to include homosexual acts in the question. I can't tell.

And to be honest, I don't really care. I'm not interested in other people's sexual preferences or what they do in their own bedroom as long as they aren't raping others or molesting children.

#11 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

It could be a choice. By choice I mean not born that way. For example if someone had a really traumatizing experience with the opposite sex and can't be intimate with them anymore. Hence they turn to their own sex.

You're making up a very farfetched scenario here, I've never heard of something like that happening. Even if I had a traumatizing experience with a man, I wouldn't turn to women. That would make me bi/pansexual.

Choice is also not the same as 'not born that way'. Just like someone can't choose who they fall in love with, they can not choose who to be attracted to either. I don't believe humans are born with any sexuality, we find out as we grow up. That is only a hypotethis of course. We should take our views on this with a grand of salt because there is no study or statistic to support them.

iwantbuns; I actually find it quite offensive that a straight person tries to define homosexuality. Let gay people speak for themselves. Do not speak over them. If they say it is not a choice, believe that. You're also degrading homosexuality to some sort of 'trend'? :wot: It isn't becoming more popular, people are just coming out.

ナルサク

#12 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

I'm not expert and I won't pretend to speak for anyone, but to my understanding sexuality as it's understood now is more "fluid" than it is set-in-stone from the time you're born. You can develop new or additional preferences over time, or something like that, and from what I've heard it can even change altogether.

Edited by questdrivencollie, 05 June 2014 - 09:55 PM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#13 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

I'm not expert and I won't pretend to speak for anyone, but to my understanding sexuality as it's understood now is more "fluid" than it is set-in-stone from the time you're born. You can develop new or additional preferences over time, or something like that, and from what I've heard it can even change altogether.

I believe it can be both. Some are more fluid than others.

I don't think you are speaking for anyone because you're simply taliking about orientation in general, not a spesific community. If homosexuality is a choice, so is heterosexuality, asexuality, and so on. But most people only apply this logic when one is not straight, which is why I find this opinion offensive. As if heterosexuality is the standard, but it isn't and we're not all the same.

ナルサク

#14 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

iwantbuns; I actually find it quite offensive that a straight person tries to define homosexuality. Let gay people speak for themselves. Do not speak over them. If they say it is not a choice, believe that. You're also degrading homosexuality to some sort of 'trend'? :wot: It isn't becoming more popular, people are just coming out.

I didn't mean to offend you or 'speak for homosexuality' at all. If it came out like that, I'm sorry. I must've used the wrong words. Calling it 'more popular' wasn't particularly what I meant. I meant what you said: that more people are just coming out. I'm not saying it's a trend, I meant that more and more people are just being more accepting about it. The idea isn't coming off as a bad thing, as much as it used to. People don't have to be as ashamed about it, BECAUSE of the generation-change. People's views on them changed, not them. 

If a homosexual tells me that it was not their choice, I would believe them. Because, like I said, people are sometimes born like that. My last sentence must've suggested that EVERY homosexual has a choice in the matter, what I meant by my last sentence was just a general answer to the topic question - whether homosexuality was a choice or not. For some it is, some it isn't. I'm sorry if you took what I said the wrong way, because I have absolutely nothing against homosexuals at all.

#15 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

You're making up a very farfetched scenario here, I've never heard of something like that happening. Even if I had a traumatizing experience with a man, I wouldn't turn to women. That would make me bi/pansexual.

Choice is also not the same as 'not born that way'. Just like someone can't choose who they fall in love with, they can not choose who to be attracted to either. I don't believe humans are born with any sexuality, we find out as we grow up. That is only a hypotethis of course. We should take our views on this with a grand of salt because there is no study or statistic to support them.

I'm not making it up. I have a lesbian friend who got sexually abused by her ex-boyfriend. You think I would bring this point up out of nowhere without prior experience? If you don't think it would happen to you it doesn't mean it won't happen to others.

And of course I know choice doesn't exactly mean not born that way. I am just trying to answer the OP's question which is whether homosexuality is innate or not.

Edited by Darth Krypt, 05 June 2014 - 11:56 PM.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#16 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

This is...among one of the last things I'd expect to see on a Naruto related site. I don't really pay attention to homosexuality due to a number of reasons

1: I find is disgusting

2: I just don't care

3: In my line of work, I've been here, there, and everywhere, and homosexuals have been the meanest and most disrespectful people I've come across. They're not all bad, but the majority of people I thought came off as rude were homosexuals.

I'd imagine it's a choice. Maybe their mom and dad fought a lot when they were kids, or they just never found an interest in the opposite sex. But again, I pay no attention to it.

Edited by Night Hawk, 05 June 2014 - 11:59 PM.

#17 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:39 AM

3: In my line of work, I've been here, there, and everywhere, and homosexuals have been the meanest and most disrespectful people I've come across. They're not all bad, but the majority of people I thought came off as rude were homosexuals.

@Night Hawk Isn't that kind of rude? I mean, I understand that your taking your opinion from personal experience and preference, but you can't say that a majority of homosexuals are the meanest and most disrespectful people. Homosexuality has nothing to do with personality, and the way they treat others. Homosexuality is just what people are attracted to, nothing more. Your attacking a whole entire group of people, just cause a few gay guys were rude to you? That's not right.

And I respect that you find it disgusting, because I know many people do. It's nothing new. I'm not attacking what you believe in any way, I just don't think it's right that your blaming homosexuals for the majority of bullying on the internet..

#18 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

@Night Hawk Isn't that kind of rude? I mean, I understand that your taking your opinion from personal experience and preference, but you can't say that a majority of homosexuals are the meanest and most disrespectful people. Homosexuality has nothing to do with personality, and the way they treat others. Homosexuality is just what people are attracted to, nothing more. Your attacking a whole entire group of people, just cause a few gay guys were rude to you? That's not right.

And I respect that you find it disgusting, because I know many people do. It's nothing new. I'm not attacking what you believe in any way, I just don't think it's right that your blaming homosexuals for the majority of bullying on the internet..

It might be a little rude, but it's true. In Washington D.C I was taking a photo of one of the attractions (I believe it was the Lincoln Memorial) I lost balance, tripped, and accidentally collided into a guy. I faced him, said I was sorry. He snorted meanly and glared at me and said "Never...EVER touch me again."  

I didn't say they're all bad, but the ones I've run across give the others a bad name. First impressions last the longest after all.

I've had encounters with homos at work and touring around other places. I've been around enough to make an assumption I think.

#19 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:07 AM

Exactly, and people are coming out because today's society is far more open and tolerant than yesterday, just as tomorrow's society will be far more than ours, and so on and so forth.

Edited by Strangelove, 06 June 2014 - 01:08 AM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#20 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

It might be a little rude, but it's true. In Washington D.C I was taking a photo of one of the attractions (I believe it was the Lincoln Memorial) I lost balance, tripped, and accidentally collided into a guy. I faced him, said I was sorry. He snorted meanly and glared at me and said "Never...EVER touch me again."  

I didn't say they're all bad, but the ones I've run across give the others a bad name. First impressions last the longest after all.

I've had encounters with homos at work and touring around other places. I've been around enough to make an assumption I think.

I'm sorry you've had these kind of experiences, but this is a pretty big assumption your making. You can't say it's true just because of what you've encountered. Your talking about a whole group of people who have different preferences than you, when you've only seen a part of this group. Heterosexuals are equal in the blame of being rude to others, you can't just pinpoint this on 'most homosexuals'. No matter our sexual orientation, we're all human.

Homosexuality does not affect the way they act around other people. It might, but it mostly has to do with their genes, and maybe s**t that's happened in THEIR life. I've met many gays who are much more sincere and respectful than what you are describing. If I talked about all the people that bullied me, I could easily say that most heterosexuals are rude and disrespectful, when that is just one part of that group of straight people.

It's like your talking about race or something, damn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users