• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:26 AM

We have an anime rating thread so I decided to create a thread where we take manga we're currently reading and rate it. It works as I will show you as I rate 5 manga I read every week, including one I recently gave up on but I am still reading just for the lulz (guess which one).

Bleach (2001-Present): 6/10
One of the most overrated mangas of all time.

Case Closed/Detective Conan (1995-Present): 4/10
When it started out it was fresh and new but now that it nears 700 Chapters it's been the same old **** for years.

Fullmetal Alchemist (2001-Present): 10/10
The best manga currently in print.

Naruto (1999-Present): 9/10
Not one of the best yet but it's getting there.

One Piece (1996-Present): 10/10
The best Shounen Jump manga currently in print.

uc.png

#2 Kitsune-Arashi

Kitsune-Arashi

Kitsune-God

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Movies, Anime, Martial Arts,Games, and hanging out with my friends

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:47 AM

Um im now reading naruto because b4 today i could only watch it i give it a 9/10
"I got lost on the road of life"
-Hatake Kakashi

Image by YumeChan23 (http://yumechan23.deviantart.com/)

#3 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:49 AM

(Uptodate)
*Bleach - 7/10
Soul Society arc and Turn Back the Pendulum are the greatest arcs. Soon enough we get to see the Bankai's, Vizards, and Espada releases we've been waiting for!

*Naruto - 6/10
Part one was the sh!t. Part 2 is sh!t.

*Soul Eater - 8/10
A mix between Bleach with the universe and D-Gray man with the character style. I like the characters more than anything. Go Death-kun!

(Translation)
*Berserk - 10/10
Still on Volume 30 but the greatest manga all time. So much detail in art and story goes into each volume. A captivating story and a brilliant main character as you follow his path to fight the darkness that continues to consume him. Best seinen manga ever.

*Hellsing - 9/10
JUST ONE MORE CHAPTER LEFT! and it needs to be translated. All that's going on with Dracula is driving me insane. Whats going to happen to Alucard damn it?

*Vagabond- 9/10
I'm glad to see Sasaki Kojiro is back and he still looks for Takezou. Epic fight is ahead!

#4 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

Naruto- 6/10
When fanfiction turns out to be better than canon, things have turned sour. I know I'll be more hyped once Naruto comes back and stops sucking, but he's just not as impressive as a shonen hero should be. He just doesn't feel like a main character anymore, and that's a huge minus in my book!

Bleach- 8/10
I'm in love with more or less all the Bleach women... lol, nah not really, but I do like the manga alot. I started reading it when only the first chapter was scanlated, and I had been ready for it for weeks before that because of all the hype created by Tazmo as he launched BleachWorld.com, but now that Tazmo has turned to evil (he's like Eric Bauman... bastard), I'll just get my fix elsewhere. Still, Bleach is awesome!

One Piece- 11/10
My all time favourite manga and anime. The art is great, the mood is awesome and the characters are nothing short of brilliant!! I have never been bored with the One Piece manga, and will never be either. No matter how minor the chapter drives the plot forward, I'm still left wanting more at the last page. So awesome!

School Rumble- 9/10
I love this manga. Probably the best love-comedy manga I've ever read, and the randomness is just hilarious. I've turned out to ship pairings in this manga, and that rarely happens. HarimaYakumo 4 ever!! rawr.gif

Kekkaishi- 9/10
The art is great, and the various powers and characters is a source of neverending amusement for me. Yokittenoki 4 ever!! rawr.gif

Kenichi- 10/10
This manga has PERFECT characters. I don't know what else to say, other than you're missing out if you're not reading this, and I will hit you with a rubber chicken unless you start! APAPAPAPAPPAPAPA rawr.gif
I'm planning on getting back into FMA soon, because I haven't read the manga since it turned original from the anime, and that's ages ago.

#5 Daniee

Daniee

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

Eyeshield 21 - 8.5/10
Best artwork of all the manga currently in Jump and a good cast of characters. Sad that it probably only has about a month left. I've been following it for over two years, so my weeks are gonna feel a little emptier. Current match has been a little disappointing, though.

Fullmetal Alchemist - 8/10
I used to adore this series. Well, I still do...but I've kinda lost interest in it. Not that I don't like where it's going, just for some reason, it's hard for me to remain really interested in monthly stories. Same has happened with me and some American comics.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 8/10
Not much in the storyline department, but it's got spectacular art and the most creative powers and fights I've ever seen. I've read about half of it's 80 volumes...still a lot to go. @_@

Metroid - 7.5/10
Pretty neat prequel to the video games, and has made me love Samus even more, even though she's pretty angsty. Awaiting more SnoopyCool scanlations.

Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation - 8/10
The fact that nobody is currently scanlating this disappoints me. At least Viz has recognized it, now I just gotta wait 2 months for every release... Anyway, my favorite thing about this manga is the original artwork that's both cute and has some of the coolest looking ghosts ever.

Naruto - 10/10
Not much to say...just that I've never been so immersed in a series. tongue.gif

One Piece - 9/10
Stoppped reading for a little while during the mediocre Thriller Bark. It's gotten good again, but I want a story arc as awesome and epic as Alabasta or Water 7/Enies Lobby to make me really love it again.

#6 Nikko

Nikko

Lady Perv <3

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:sewing, sleeping, drawing, tasty food, video games, manga/comic booking, anime, and music

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

Ummm, what should I list, I read a lot

Bleach - 8/10 I love it, but at times the drawn out fights are a pain

Honey x Honey Drop - 8/10 good series, they didn't really need to put in the sports, but that's my opinion. I like the master/salve shojo and this doesn't use most of the played out plot lines.

Midnight Secretary - 9/10 very good plot, vampires and normal people but doesn't play on the myths or the over powered unkillable charecter...but it wouldn't, it's smut

Pig Bride - Need to read more before I rate it, but I think it's interesting.

More later.

In the forums, ad blocking your signature.

#7 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

Gun Blaze West (2002-2003): 7/10
A short lived manga by the same guy that did Ruroni Kenshin, it's ok but nowhere near as great as the aforementioned series he did.

uc.png

#8 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

Fruits Basket. 15/10

Best. Manga. Evar.
rawr.gif

#9 Sheryl Nome

Sheryl Nome

Galactic Fairy

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

Bleach 6/10- Only my love for the characters keeps me interested.

Naruto 7/10-I'm not attached to the characters, but the story is more interesting than Bleach's as of right now.
art done by ?, graphic by KiNA@animesuki

avatar credits go to heart_of_manga@lj

#10 Sakura~Kitsune

Sakura~Kitsune

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Location:The Forgotten Borough formerly known as Staten Island!
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Roleplaying, Magical Girls, Anime/Manga, Video Games, Music, Friends/Family, and Food!

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:07 AM

Red River - 7/10

A friend of mine requested that I'd check it out. Not nearly as far into the volumes as she is, but it does seem pretty interesting. Might actually go looking for the next chapters sooner or later (if I wasn't so lazy -__-) Need to grow onto the story a little bit longer before I can possibly 'fall in love' with it. Well, I'm just going to have to see about that one.

Kitchen Princess - 8/10

A simply cute story by one of my favorite manga artists, Natsumi Endo (too bad that's just her alias) Upon finishing one of her older works a few years back, I've been looking for yet another manga of hers... luck have it that I did.

Kamichama Karin Chu - 5/10

Collected the entire first part of the manga, and watched most of the anime... and the series is still confusing. One moment there's goddesses, gods and evil rings and now we have time travelling child from the future (Sailor Moon, anyone?), heartshaped clocks and an unknown evil come to wreak havoc. However, Koge-Donbo doesn't even get down to the whole point on how our main characters are 'clones' of their previous selves. The mystery about the violinist of the group has yet to be discovered... the sudden rush of new characters is what throws the shoujo series off and is what stopping me from actually completing the whole thing. x__O

Naruto - 8/10

There are times when Kishimoto can captivate you (especially during Part I) and there are others... when you just wonder why he even named the series "Naruto" in the first place. Whenever I have to resort to reading fanfiction rather than the actual manga is when Kishi loses some of his points and yet at the same time... he can bring those points back up! >.>

One Piece - 10/10

When I first started with the series, I really didn't think it would become much of a favorite... just looking back at my old thoughts - I laugh! At myself, of course. The characters, the setting, the humor and suspense of it all... simply brilliant! One of the first (and only!) Pirate-based series to actually find a place in my heart <3

Edited by Sakura~Kitsune, 06 November 2008 - 05:08 AM.

tumblr_n9ki6ltPXZ1qai1u2o1_500.gif

No matter how dark it is, you’re not alone you know?

The moonlight is shining on us

#11 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

• Naruto - 8/10. Part One was stunning. Part Two had teething problems (mainly pace and things like the anti-climatic Kyuubi revelation to Sakura and Sai's quick change of allegiance), and Naruto went missing for long periods while Sasuke pranced about. However, the current arc is scoring big points. A pity we have to wait until next week for the next chapter!
  • Eyeshield 21 - 9/10. One of the few manga to give me real chills of excitement. However, the Christmas Bowl match could have been done better, and I'm not sure about extending the manga beyond that. After all, the manga was all about Deimon reaching the Christmas Bowl! Hopefully, it's only one more match.
  • History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - 9/10. Silly fun. XD The artwork is suspect in places, but many of the characters have great personalities, the martial arts are cool, and it doesn't take itself seriously. biggrin.gif
  • Kekkaishi - 10/10. A wonderful manga by Yellow Tanabe. Great characters and art, and I really like the relationships between the characters - especially the one between Yoshimori and Tokine. (Tanabe-san, you WOULDN'T be that cruel to Yoshimori... would you? argh1.png *latest chapter ending on Onemanga*)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist - 10/10. Another wonderful manga! It's really building up to its climax, and is most definitely worth buying the books. The anime can't even touch this.
And that's what I regularly read. happy.gif Have tried out a few other mangas, but I haven't read enough to build a proper opinion yet.

#12 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

Kenichi 10/10 - Really has been enjoyable.
Naruto 7/10 - Starting to get good again.
One Piece 9/10 - Funny as heck.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#13 Kirroha

Kirroha

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:10 AM

Death Note (11 (that's ridiculous. It's not even funny)/10) It's just so sweet... sad... reminds me of the Macbeth tragedy. Really.

Love Hina (7/10) Quite nice in a sense, how a relationship still forms between two people who don't know that the other used to be their childhood sweetheart.

#14 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

Currently Reading:

Naruto - 8/10: Reason it has this score because of Part II. It was fine until the Hidan and Kakuzu arc and it became worse with Sasuke starting to take over the spotlight. But this year, we finally got to see Naruto again and a huge battle of Konoha nin against Pain. Hopefully the climax is heartwhelming! biggrin.gif

Bleach - 7/10 Sorry people (aka Bleach fans), I had to stick with Naruto. Bleach is great but my love for the Naruto series comes first. tongue.gif Plot > Characters and fights

Slam Dunk - 9/10 I have to continue reading the English version. It's so damn funny!

Street Fighter: Sakura Ganbaru! - 10/10! Oh god, I need the next volume! Sakura, Ken, Dan, and Karin! I need more street fights and I want to see Chun-Li and Ryu!!! biggrin.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#15 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

Rosario + Vampire (Season One) Completed.

Rating: 8.8/10

So under heavy peer pressure by a certain few peeps you guys know who you are! I decided to check out this manga. And well I was hooked as soon as I finished the first chapter...

Starting off with the weaknesses, the manga lacks an overall plot (then again it is considered a Slice of Life) and the major arcs while holding a general interest aren't really creative or hold a strong sense of tension/anticiaption since the outcome is pretty much obvious. Also, it doesn't really have attractive villains since most of them are mundane and rather bleak. They start off appearing strong and fearsome, but usually by the end of the chapter you can tell who will win and it gets really redundant. However, even with these points the manga still managed to hold a strong interest for me and I actually finished it within a week.

The strong points for the manga are obviously the characters. A very unique main cast who have different personalities and styles, yet are able to form a good tandem and dynamic with one another. The interactions are always great with comedic moments flowing nicely and on spot; the emotional scenes are unforced and fit in perfectly when the mangaka draws them. The main lead isn't your stereotypical male character in a shounen harem as he is quite dimensional with a strong and docile personality. The female lead is also attractive (and not only in looks ) with the different perspectives of her character which makes me enjoy every panel she appears in. The two main leads make a great pair with one another and along with their friends (the rest of the main cast) the manga becomes very enjoyable with their interaction.

Also another note I have to make is the overall improvement in the art. It starts of decent making it tolerable, but after the first few volumes it really starts to become attractive to the eyes. The characters are more defined and better drawn giving them great depth and the background really starts to stand out as well. The scenery fits in wonderfully and really brings out the emotion and overall feeling that the mangaka is trying to convey to the reader. The double pages are amazingly drawn and I soak in every part of the pages as my eyes scan over the screen. I'd say the art is 1/10 on the level of Berserk (which by far has the greatest art in any manga I've ever read so is actually impressive).

Overall while the general plot and villains are weak, the reason it gets such a high rating is because of a great set of characters, magnificent art, well played comedy, emotional scenes, harem element, and the fact it left me satisfied with the end of each chapter and always anxious to continue reading. It was a fantastic read and time well spent. And right now I'm enjoying season two and have added it to my list of monthly manga to follow. I'm really glad I was introduced to it!

#16 Denim88

Denim88

I have my moments, believe it or not.

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Hm, interests...well, I was one of those crazy nuts that knew all the pokemon back when that was the big thing...still do know them all (cough). I happen to be a very strong supporter of NarutoxSakura pairing. I really enjoy wildlife and the outdoors. I'm a gamer I guess...yeah, okay, I am. Let's see, what else could I put down...um, I love reading, writing, and biking too. Comedy movies are the best...um yeah. Kind of a weak interests section, but whatever.<br /><br />Ah, yes, I guess I should mention that my stories are also able to be viewed on fanfiction.net. You can find me under the name Denim88 on there too.

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

Soul Eater: 8/10 I'm going to be honest; it's possibly one of the most creative manga I've read yet. It brings a bit of old folk-lore and mythology into every chapter, and I won't deny that the characters were the main reason I got so hooked. I'm still just beginning to read this series (I'm only starting to get into the 20s) but I'm guessing I'll be caught up within a week or so.

Naruto: 7.5/10 Nothing against the series, but I've been waiting for stuff to happen for awhile. I'm happy to see that Kishimoto's finally getting stuff rolling again. I just hope that Naruto will get to have the spotlight for a bit longer than he has for the past couple hundred chapters. I don't think there's much else to say about the series; I love the characters, villains and heroes alike, and while there's almost too much for Kishimoto to handle putting into the storyline, he's added a lot of depth to it, and tied a lot of things together since the second half of Naruto started. I can only hope that the series gets better from here.

Bleach: 8/10 Another series I can admit that I've come to appreciate. The characters are another driving point to the series, and while Kubo seems to be dragging things on a bit, I'm actually happy that he's doing so. Let's the readers and fans get an in depth look at all of the various characters.

Gimme a break, 'kay?

Denim88's fanfiction page!!!

#17 Sheryl Nome

Sheryl Nome

Galactic Fairy

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:00 AM

Minami-ke 8/10- A very funny manga. Sometimes it can be a bit slow, but, when it's funny, it's funny. I am also rooting for poor Fujoika. DO YOUR BEST! X3
art done by ?, graphic by KiNA@animesuki

avatar credits go to heart_of_manga@lj

#18 Pite

Pite

I'm a cat with glasses and a piece of chalk in my hand!

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Too long to write about.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

Naruto - 9/10

Considering the plot and the very savvy time in the story now, I consider it one of the most entertaining pieces of entertainment I've ever seen in my life, the whole of Naruto from chapter 1 untill nowm the story is epic.

Bleach - 8/10

I have a feeling that well it kinda slowed down for me, maybe that the fights aren't as sensational as they used to be. But still art work is tip-top.

Eyeshield 21 - 9/10

One of few sport mangas that really grabbed me and took me in. A really funny and entertaining pieces of mangas around right now. Though some hings might be exageratted in the manga XD

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - 9.5/10

Right now it's my favourite manga since it is the only one that I've finished reading (all 318 Chapters) in three days flat on OneManga with Vietnamese internet (that dissconnects every 20 minutes or so XD). Each character is detailed and complex along with the variety of martial arts given.
APAPAPAPAPA PA!

D.Gray-Man N/A

I'm withholding my decision since I haven't read it in a while and I'm still waiting for it to go out of hiatus.
The meaning of life is to find your own meaning of life.

#19 demonfox04

demonfox04

The Don - 'Nuff Said

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

Bleach - 9/10

The fights may get drawn out at times, but the artwork stays beautifully consistent and I like almost every character in there. The characters to be hated are the baddies and even then that's because they are evil and not because of their personalities.

Slam Dunk - 10/10

This is amazing because it embodies everything from my favorite sport basketball. The author doesn't bite off more than he can chew and creates a believable world of basketball. Being an avid follower of basketball at all levels and a player myself, I can personally relate to this manga the best out of any I've read.

Naruto - 5/10

I inconsistently follow Naruto since the beginning of Part II simply because I haven't witnessed any growth in the characters and I find more of a focus on Sasuke and the Uchiha. Interest has peaked recently, but I still am not pleased with the author's direction. I felt more could've been done given how well I thought Part I was written.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now, you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

Whether 1 and 15 or 15 and 1, Superbowl or Toiletbowl...those are my Boys. Ain't no bandwagon here. GO COWBOYS!!!

#20 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

Eyeshield 21 (9.5/10) - Who knew you could squeeze so many cliffhangers out of a football game? The "power creep" borders on ridiculous, but since it isn't trying to take itself seriously it's easily forgiven. Eagerly reading the latest scanlation is one of the reasons I look forwards to Fridays.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (8/10) - I don't know what it is about this one. I'll devour several chapters at a time, then not touch it for several days. I'll like the fights yet hate the way he gets beat down at the start and then shrug it off. I'll enjoy the fanservice but rage because Kenichi's relationship with Miu has barely gotten anywhere. (I'm around chapter 100 or so?)

Change123 (9/10) - The story of a boy, a girl, and her three expert martial arts split personalities. Because it's a seinen (men's) manga as opposed to shonen, the fights seem a touch more 'honest' (hey look, someone's arm actually got broken!), but as it's got a touch of comedy/slice of life there aren't excessive amounts of blood and gore. Also lots of fanservice - the majority of the fighters happen to be hot females (*gasp* how original, right?!).
Also, arr... there be squishy female bits on display.

Mirai Nikki (9/10) - Why have you not checked this out yet? I made u a thred too! shamefulcry0js.gif The last chapter had a head-scratching 'WTF?' moment that seemed to come out of the blue.

Naruto (Inc.) - I admit it - I JUST started reading it again during these last few chapters. Soo... no grade.

Edited by Jwolf0, 03 April 2009 - 09:25 PM.

QUOTE ("Down Goes Brown")
(For the younger readers, "HMV" and "Sam The Record Man" were record stores.)

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users