1876 replies to this topic

#61 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (Illmatic @ Nov 26 2008, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. unfortunately as soon as something negative occurs some will say OMG I TOLDZ YA OBAMA IS BADZ.

I wish I could say I was sympathetic, but I'm not. Not even remotely so. All I can say is: sucks, doesn't it? Republicans and, Bush in particular, just spent the past eights years dealing with that. Even when things went well people like MoveOn did things like that. Did you see the classy General Betray US add? Some of it was deserved, but not all of it. The same will likely be true of Obama.

#62 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:10 AM

It's the same for any politician, really. People who for whatever reason don't like them will be extremely reluctant to give them any credit for anything that goes well (if they give any at all), but they love to jump on any problems right away. As if anybody could possibly be perfect. Bush is an extreme case, since he did so many unpopular things and made so many poor choices that whenever he did do something positive it was incredibly easy to overlook. Also, I think people were so used to hating everything that he did that they'd jump on him for not saying "Bless you" after someone sneezed.

#63 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:38 AM

I wish I could say I was sympathetic, but I'm not. Not even remotely so. All I can say is: sucks, doesn't it? Republicans and, Bush in particular, just spent the past eights years dealing with that. Even when things went well people like MoveOn did things like that. Did you see the classy General Betray US add? Some of it was deserved, but not all of it. The same will likely be true of Obama.

like I said before, both sides have those people, but it still don't make it right

i never bashed bush, seriously, check my posts, heck, i supported his election and re-election, i even agreed with the war, though i hope it ends soon, i have no ties to any parties, I support the candidate i like the most, regardless of party.

im aware of the attacks made on Bush, some went WAY too far, a good chunk of media treat him the exact opposite of the way they treat Obama, and I don't like it. And yes, people can criticize Obama, they have a right too, but there's no reason to go overboard.

Edited by Illmatic, 27 November 2008 - 02:58 AM.

#64 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE (Illmatic @ Nov 26 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
like I said before, both sides have those people, but it still don't make it right

i never bashed bush, seriously, check my posts, heck, i supported his election and re-election, i even agreed with the war, though i hope it ends soon, i have no ties to any parties, I support the candidate i like the most, regardless of party.

im aware of the attacks made on Bush, some went WAY too far, a good chunk of media treat him the exact opposite of the way they treat Obama, and I don't like it. And yes, people can criticize Obama, they have a right too, but there's no reason to go overboard.

I apologize. I never claimed you bashed Bush, but I can see why you think I did. What I was referring to was the complaint about those whole will criticize Obama the second anything negative occurs they will complain that Obama is bad. As I said, I simply cannot feel sorry for Democrats and liberals because of this. Obama will received both unjust praise and criticism. All President's do. I'm just more than a little frustrated at pundits and bloggers consistently complaining about conservative reactions to his election, when they spend the last eight years in engaging in the same behavior.

The media...haha...when nearly 70% of Democrats think you were biased for Obama you have a problem. They gave up much of what was left of their credibility.

#65 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

im sorry that i came across as an ass, hey, i don't blame ya for being upset, but that's the beauty of the double standard I guess, some LOVE to dish it out, but whine & moan when it comes back their way, hypocrites, gotta love em.

the media, well, i really had some trouble finding a program that was objective, some of them might as well have worn chear uniforms & wave pompoms laugh.gif

#66 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

Lulzy article about the 2008 Presidential campaign, and hot web searches XD

#67 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Nov 26 2008, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad that the holier-than-thou, rose-tinted shades that some of his more 'liberal' supporters eyes a certain someone here >.>, are finally being removed, and they are finally beginning to see that Obama isn't some kind of superhero who is going to sweep down, and suddenly 'change' the way that politics are done. The man is a true politician, meaning that he knows the system inside and out, and plays by the rules of that same system, and so any miraculous 'change' people were waiting and expecting him to make...well...they're going to be waiting an awfully long time for that to happen.

Also this article:

Here

Does a pretty good job of further expressing my personal views on this topic.

The only problem I have with that article is that it seems to imply (perhaps accidentally) that the left's opinion is not worth hearing.

That being said, it does make some good points. Ideally, the president will implement policies that will work as oppossed to his party's ideologies. Not to mention Obama has been calling the partisanship within government childish and other things to imply that he does not want to govern based on ideology from the left or right; it would be unwise politically to do so otherwise.

As for Hillary, I doubt the rivalry between her and Obama is that bad. The Clintons did seem rather akward just mentioning his name during the campaign, but they supported him rather enthusiastically. If she was that frustrated, I'd imagine she would've joined Joe Liberman with his endorsement of McCain. I doubt very much she's scheming anything at this point. If she is, she better be careful; I'd imagine that whatever she does, if she really is planning anything, it could easily backfire on her.

#68 Kirby

Kirby

Kirby ain't hungry right now.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Manga, TV, Reading, Tromboning, Kirby (their vaccuum cleaners are AWESOME &lt;3

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:13 AM

Darn it, Harper shut down the government, that really sucks.

In case you didn't know, Canada had three choices.

1) We hold another election

2) We have a co-allition government

3) We shut down the government

The Governor-General picked the third one, I would've liked number one, but Canadians wouldn't like voting twice in a less than two months.

Just to know, if any of you live in America, did they have ANY news of the political crisis here in Canada, in the American news????
. Don't Press the red button

#69 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Auni @ Dec 4 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Governor-General picked the third one, I would've liked number one, but Canadians wouldn't like voting twice in a less than two months.

Just to know, if any of you live in America, did they have ANY news of the political crisis here in Canada, in the American news????

-Raises hand.- I'm Canadian-American, so I know.

Edited by Yoshimoto Trigen, 05 December 2008 - 01:27 AM.

#70 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (Auni @ Dec 4 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes we have had some coverage on it, and even my economics professor spoke about it. Usually Canada is quite a placid place so news isn't that big over here in the States. I mean unless you have angry people rioting and police on the streets with sounds of gun fire its not going to be important. =/

The situation is understandable from the conservatives point of view. If the current government in charge cannot convince the majority of the House of Commons that it can function as the government of Canada, it then has to ask the Governor General to dissolve parliament and either call an election, or to ask the leader who has the confidence of the majority to form the government (the collation government). The Governor General suspending Parliament has bought Harper some time to prepare an impressive budget by January 26th and hope for the opposition unity to cool down by then. However, Harper seems to be quite ruthless by constantly attacking the Liberals and placing partisanship over nationalism. I'd think a better leader should hold the position, but Stephen Dion seems to be a questionable choice as well for the Liberals. Selecting new leaders for each party would be a wise choice and if that doesn't work then the Governor Genral should hold another election and let the people decide for themselves.

I don't think its really a political 'coup' as many claim with the three opposition parties joining together, but it is quite interesting to see the political scheme of Canada play out (as someone who lives in the States and is used to American style politics).

#71 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:12 AM

I think that Obama should stop sitting on his wealth, and spread some of it around. I mean it's not like he can't make back double what he has in surplus now, quickly and easily:

http://news.yahoo.co...obama_democrats

#72 Kirby

Kirby

Kirby ain't hungry right now.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Manga, TV, Reading, Tromboning, Kirby (their vaccuum cleaners are AWESOME &lt;3

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:24 AM

lulz, on the news, they're talking about a rape/murder, then they suddenly switch the news about Obama's new tux...

Also, to Sakura Blossoms, Obama hasn't bought a new tuxedo in 15 years. He's not sitting on it

Edited by Auni, 06 December 2008 - 06:39 PM.

. Don't Press the red button

#73 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Dec 5 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that Obama should stop sitting on his wealth, and spread some of it around. I mean it's not like he can't make back double what he has in surplus now, quickly and easily:

http://news.yahoo.co...obama_democrats

Well, by law he can't use all that extra money for himself, so he's going to have to give it up anyway. Even so, since he is forced to contribute money to someone or something, he would probably still want to use that money wisely. Charities are nice, but you'd want see that they'd make good use of it. Oprah once gave a ton of money to some poor/homeless people, and they wasted it. It would also be wise politically to use the money to support certain candidates, but again he would want to be sure they're likely to win...as well as not go after you. If I recall correctly, I believe that Obama did in fact help Liberman when he was running in Connecticut, and look how that turned out. Besides, I very much doubt that the democrats are at risk of losing that many seats; this year was a very bad one to be a republican, and even with an abysmally low approval rating, I honestly don't think they have that much to worry about. Also, campaigning is expensive, and he probably does have rather expensive bills to pay. He is going to give up that money, it's a matter of for what.

One other thing about his cabinet that worries me: If everyone has different ideas, and believes their ideas to be the best, it's going to be awfully hard to get them to work together.

#74 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:38 AM

Oh yeah,about Obama's plan to close Gitmo it's not gonna be easy, torture is actually pretty effective,so they'll have a hard time to let it go.To be honest, there IS an alternative.My country adopts non-torture programs & (somewhat mental attacks) believe it or not,my country's system has had a lot of success. We don't treat them like animals the way Gitmo does,& we even let them dine together with the policemen/investigators let them relax,& let them squeal when they feel like it.& the fact that the investigators are Muslims as well is also a big plus. & results...? lots, we managed to kill the No.2 most wanted terrorist in southeast asia,we also managed to make them really weak by taking away a lot of their higher-ranked officials. Therefore,I believe that if Obama wants to pump out as much information as he can about Al-Qaeda, he should send those Gitmo detainees here & to make it fair, have a couple of NSA,CIA ,FBI guys to supervise if he wants to.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#75 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Auni @ Dec 5 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, to Sakura Blossoms, Obama hasn't bought a new tuxedo in 15 years. He's not sitting on it

That just means he has no fashion sense :rolleyes:

He can't spend the money on his own personal gain, so I don't see how him not buying a suit with the money = him not sitting on it.

#76 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Dec 7 2008, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah,about Obama's plan to close Gitmo it's not gonna be easy, torture is actually pretty effective,so they'll have a hard time to let it go.To be honest, there IS an alternative.My country adopts non-torture programs & (somewhat mental attacks) believe it or not,my country's system has had a lot of success. We don't treat them like animals the way Gitmo does,& we even let them dine together with the policemen/investigators let them relax,& let them squeal when they feel like it.& the fact that the investigators are Muslims as well is also a big plus. & results...? lots, we managed to kill the No.2 most wanted terrorist in southeast asia,we also managed to make them really weak by taking away a lot of their higher-ranked officials. Therefore,I believe that if Obama wants to pump out as much information as he can about Al-Qaeda, he should send those Gitmo detainees here & to make it fair, have a couple of NSA,CIA ,FBI guys to supervise if he wants to.

Obama has a more fundamental problem with the Gitmo Detainees, regardless of what he thinks of the treatment they receive there: If he closes Gitmo where does he put them?

Most of their countries of orgin don't want them, and many would probably face serious abuses (far worse than opponents claim they receive in Gitmo), so they can't go there. He could place them in federal prisons I suppose, but what's he going to do then, just leave them there? Or should he let them loose inside of the United States and let them wander around until they do something else?

He's doesn't have a lot of good options open to him.

#77 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:00 AM

Fran Drescher 'The Nanny' to become the successor of Hillary Clinton's NY Senator seat? o.o

Article

#78 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Dec 8 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That just means he has no fashion sense :rolleyes:

He can't spend the money on his own personal gain, so I don't see how him not buying a suit with the money = him not sitting on it.

Is it possible for cynicism to end, for five minutes? Please, let me know.

Oh yeah,about Obama's plan to close Gitmo it's not gonna be easy, torture is actually pretty effective,

It's only effective when you do it on the actual terrorists. Gitmo contains Americans, foreigners caught trying to get into America, and people who once associated with bin Laden or Hussein by either choice or accident, or even coincidence. We are barring licensed Americans form re-entering, and we are torturing anyone we can get our hands on. Torture becomes less and less effective when you use it on everyone you capture. In some cases of torture, Gitmo torture-artists make prisoners say what they want to hear, and if the prisoners plead or scream "I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!", the torturer simply goes on asking over and over, probably repeating his techniques. It's sickening, it's not effective, it's inhumane, it's wrong, and it's the worst thing humanity can do, second only to genocide.

#79 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Dec 9 2008, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it possible for cynicism to end, for five minutes? Please, let me know.

Number 1, what the heck are you talking about in regards to 'cynicism'? Having an opinion, and having discussions about it is suddenly a form of cynicism? huh.gif

And 2, as far as everyone else was concerned the subject had been dropped, as the latest post has to do with Fran Drescher from the Nanny.

#80 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Dec 9 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Number 1, what the heck are you talking about in regards to 'cynicism'? Having an opinion, and having discussions about it is suddenly a form of cynicism? huh.gif

And 2, as far as everyone else was concerned the subject had been dropped, as the latest post has to do with Fran Drescher from the Nanny.

Well, I always get the sense of cynicism from you, Sakura, that's all. It just seems you're unnecessarily chiding him now on the silliest little things, like his suit, and the small minority of his supporters who thought he was the Messiah.

Anyways, yes, Fran Drescher. I'm personally supporting Caroline Kennedy for Senate. I'd like her in there more then Giuliani.

Edited by Kamina-Yoshi, 10 December 2008 - 03:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users