Close
Photo

Kishimoto Bad At Developing Female Characters?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

Poll: Kishimoto Bad At Developing Female Characters? (99 member(s) have cast votes)

Ever since the start of Naruto Kishimoto hasn't been that kind to female characters, especially Sakura. Even now as Sakura has shown amazing development as a ninja not since the Save Gaara arc has she really done anything. Is Kishimoto unfair to women in his manga?

1. Yes (59 votes [59.60%])

Percentage of vote: 59.60%

2. No (40 votes [40.40%])

Percentage of vote: 40.40%

Vote

#1 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:09 AM

I say yes, my reasons are in the question.

uc.png

#2 Radon

Radon

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:24 AM

I said yes but I can see why. Kishimoto is for one, male, so it is plausible that he is more comfortable in working with male characters than female ones. It's also possible that because this is a Shonen manga and is targeted at boys it's a higher priority to develop the male cast in hopes that some of the fans will relate to that character and continue to support that character and the manga.

The best reason I can think of is hero warship in a way. Boys relate better to male characters and understand them better than they do females.

It's the same reason that girls are usually more developed in Shojo manga.

I don't think hes intentionally doing it to be sexist or anything.
"Fact: The fandom makes characters look hotter and act hornier than they actually are..."

#3 Angel

Angel

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Interests:Music, Books, Video Games, Magic the Gathering, eating healthy and exercising.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:31 AM

TenTen....need I say more? DX , she doesnt even get a last name for crying outloud!

#4 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE (StarlightAngel @ Sep 16 2007, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TenTen....need I say more? DX , she doesnt even get a last name for crying outloud!

No kidding.

uc.png

#5 Mizura

Mizura

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:39 AM

This thread should be merged with this one:

http://www.narusaku....?showtopic=5312

Kishimoto's limitations are due to the structures he's chosen to develop his manga.

#6 GreyFøx

GreyFøx

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, listening to music, anime, the occasional book, movies, etc.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:43 AM

I agree...

Now, I don't know if the manga has the same fillers as the anime (I got to the latest Shippuden episode, then read from like chapter 275 on)...but it seems that half of the women of Konoha just seem like filler ninjas. They hardly ever grow as characters...It seems the only time you find out about them...is during fillers...

Xbox live: GFOX2113
PS3 PSN: GreyFox2113
Wii Number: 0676-8826-9864-1308

#7 Heftyman

Heftyman

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:23 AM

Well if Kishi was to develop all the characters in the manga like Hinata/TenTen/Ino then the series would drag on forever. I mean when the series shifted from Naruto to Sasuke to develop Team Hebi, people got impatient and said the series was slowing down and kind of boring. Kishi unfortunantly can't please everyone because if he develops all the characters then he'll lose the audience that prefers more of the action and if he develops the characters then he loses another fraction of the fan base. I think it's reasonable to say that his decision to concentrate on Naruto and a few character developments (Sakura and Sasuke) is reasonable. However, i hope that once the main story is completed then maybe Kishi can develop the minor players and give the series an insight into the future of all of Konoha's shinobi

#8 TheVileOne

TheVileOne

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Anime, professional wrestling, movies, acting, film criticism, exercising, DVD collecting.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:34 AM

Remember this is a Shounen Jump manga.

And either way, girls seem to still like the show just fine.

Also: TSUNADE. Need I say more?

Joe Is Gonna Kill You.

#9 GreyFøx

GreyFøx

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, listening to music, anime, the occasional book, movies, etc.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:53 AM

Heres a solution...34 page mangas a week biggrin.gif

Well I see your point about pleasing people...Which is going to be hard, because no matter how Naruto ends....someone is gonna be ticked off. th_cussing.gif

Also, I probably know more about Tsunade's past, than I do some others that have been around for a while.

Xbox live: GFOX2113
PS3 PSN: GreyFox2113
Wii Number: 0676-8826-9864-1308

#10 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (Radon @ Sep 16 2007, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I said yes but I can see why. Kishimoto is for one, male, so it is plausible that he is more comfortable in working with male characters than female ones. It's also possible that because this is a Shonen manga and is targeted at boys it's a higher priority to develop the male cast in hopes that some of the fans will relate to that character and continue to support that character and the manga.

The best reason I can think of is hero warship in a way. Boys relate better to male characters and understand them better than they do females.

You made the points that I was going to perfectly. Thanks :thumbs:

#11 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Everyone thinks it, but etiquette interferes; lest the writer is construed as misdirected.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:01 PM

Generally, I have to agree. Though, only from comparing from within the team.

The exception would be Hinata, who tops her team (as well as quite a few of the male cast) and to a degree, Tsunade, who nearly pars with Jiraiya on that level.

Have to admit though, Sakura has tons of development over all the side-characters.

#12 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

I dont know really, i think there are a few pretty well developed female characters, however some (Tenten) are not developed at all.

#13 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:I like to play sports: tennis, cricket, swimming, soccer, ping pong, basketball, squash, volleyball, badminton and most of all love to do martial arts. <br /><br />I am a black belt in taekwondo, orange belt in Karate. I have also done a little bit of judo and kick boxing.<br /><br />I also love reading. It is my favorite past time hobby next to all the others listed above. Due to the large amount of materials that I have read I have a lot of trouble writing my own fanfic since the ideas to make it different keeps coming to mind. I haven't submitted a single fanfic but I am writing an ongoing fic regarding Naruto which I hope to put online for others to read.<br /><br />I also like watching anime and reading manga and have been a fan since day one. (except for the fillers part ... But I still watched each and everyone)<br /><br />I have always liked Naruto and Sakura's pairing and I say make them a cannon couple --> this part is exclusively for Kishimoto-san.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (Radon @ Sep 16 2007, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbs:

QUOTE (Heftyman @ Sep 16 2007, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if Kishi was to develop all the characters in the manga like Hinata/TenTen/Ino then the series would drag on forever. I mean when the series shifted from Naruto to Sasuke to develop Team Hebi, people got impatient and said the series was slowing down and kind of boring. Kishi unfortunantly can't please everyone because if he develops all the characters then he'll lose the audience that prefers more of the action and if he develops the characters then he loses another fraction of the fan base. I think it's reasonable to say that his decision to concentrate on Naruto and a few character developments (Sakura and Sasuke) is reasonable. However, i hope that once the main story is completed then maybe Kishi can develop the minor players and give the series an insight into the future of all of Konoha's shinobi

Yup you are right and I think that is why Kishi chose to focus on few of the characters. But I do hope that Kishi shows a few things regarding other characters as well and not just the main ones but thats just wishful thinking.

#14 Recompense

Recompense

Shameful Member of the YEAR!!

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:32 AM

All the reasons why i voted no are stated above, he's not being unfair, he simply CAN't give the detail demanded by the fans for ALL the female characters
I'm just sitting here. Wondering what it'd be like To be with you.

#15 Tobi

Tobi

I am a good boy!

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Annoy people!<br /><br />Msn and Yahoo addresses aren't the real ones :3 If you want my email, just ask ^-^

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

Totally agree with you. Naruto revolves completely around male characters, are females charas are never that great, tch. >_<

#16 Samantha

Samantha

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:music of any genre, decaffeinated green tea, books, unexpected thunderstorms, freshly cut grass, sugar-free jello, skinny jeans, close friends, Fitzwilliam Darcy, morals, feminism, stargazing, multi colored socks, running so fast that you swear that you can fly, cloud watching, jumping into rain puddles, purple nail polish, freshly sharpened color pencils, Star Wars marathons, funky sunglasses, movie theatres, summertime, the Beatles, lazy days, daydreaming, 80’s music, history class, scrabble, Dr. Gregory House, photography, broken in converses, volunteering, and art.<br />

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

Yes, Kishimoto is kind-of bad at creating/developing female characters. Although, Kisimoto is a man, and all us girls know that most men know next to nothing about the inner workings of a female. happy.gif

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

#17 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:38 PM

I said yes. He could have done more with Sakura after the Sand/Sound battle. Instead he gave us a scene where Sakura found out that Naruto was the one who saved her life. Which is nice, but more could've been done.

Also, Kishi could've done so much development for all the characters if he actually wrote out the timeskip, or at least some of it. Sure that would make the manga go longer, but at least it would give us an insight to how the characters grew over the years.
A NaruSaku Manifesto - A presentation on the NaruSaku pairing using the manga.

#18 Chidori Mistress

Chidori Mistress

Lolita of Squack <3

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (Radon @ Sep 16 2007, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

100% Agreed.

#19 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE (naruto baby_xox0 @ Sep 20 2007, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, Kishimoto is kind-of bad at creating/developing female characters. Although, Kisimoto is a man, and all us girls know that most men know next to nothing about the inner workings of a female. happy.gif

I dont think even women know the inner workings of females tongue.gif

Your all too damn complex tongue.gif

#20 Urazz

Urazz

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

I voted yes. I think Kishimoto could develop Sakura better but hasn't. He also could've done a bit better with the female side characters but kishi being a bit bad at developing female characters isn't that much of an issue in my opinion.
Urazz: Hey sis what's going on?
Urazz's Sister: I cut myself.
Urazz: Take it like a man even if your a woman.
Urazz's Sister: Ok!
*Urazz's Sister kicks Urazz in the groin.*
Urazz: $%^&*#
Urazz's Sister: I dunno. I'm sure it's much better to take it like a woman. That was evidence to support my theory.
*Urazz whimpers like a baby*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users