• This topic is locked This topic is locked
138 replies to this topic

#41 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:04 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Aug 24 2011, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm really not picking on your post, dear. wink.gif It's more in response to all the I-heart-Itachi stuff floating around. I just don't have anymore love for Itachi than I do for Danzo or any of the other characters that have been given a redemption back story. Danzo especially.

It's alright I can see what you're saying but I'm not an Itachi fan gushing over him XD He did commit the crime of killing his clan and his parents, but it really wasn't murder. If anything Danzo is the one to blame since he and the council went over the Third's head and gave the order to destroy the Uchiha. Yet it was for the good of the village, so were they really wrong? I can only imagine what was going through Itachi's mind when he got his mission, but he loved his village enough to know his clan was a threat to many. Itachi was the ultimate double double agent, everything he ever did was ultimately for the safety of his village. Just like Snape in Harry Potter, we were meant to hate them in the beginning but in the end we saw how much they had sacrificed. So yeah Itachi was hardcore and maybe he went over bored with traumatizing Sasuke, but he had to insure Sasuke would hate him in order to become stronger. Remember Itachi wanted Sasuke to one day kill him so he could avenge their clan. Despite Itachi's past I like him a billion times better then Sasuke, I can overlook Itachi's actions were I cant overlook Sasuke's arrogance, stupidity, and lust for revenge. This is just me though, I've always despised Sasuke.

Edited by Konohakitten, 25 August 2011 - 04:09 AM.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#42 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:05 AM

Yeah, sorry y'all, but I really don't see Itachi as a hero. He's the instrument of a genocide. He's no more hero than more than a soldier carrying out a RL genocide. (Rwanda, anyone?)

Even the reasons are at odds: on one hand it's an order, but on the other he's doing it to "cleanse his clan." Do you think the innocent people he slaughtered would have chosen that way to be "cleansed"? And what about the children — I find it hard to believe that Sasuke was the only child of the clan. Where they that badass a clan that even the babies had to be exterminated?

And now, what if Sasuke doesn't get redeemed. He will have created the biggest monster to rain hell down on Konoha. Good work for someone who loooooved Konoha so much. Sasuke didn't realize his life was sacrificed to play out this role in Itachi's master plan.

Anyway, I respect that most everyone likes Itachi, and I do understand why. He is presented as having made this great personal sacrifice for the benefit of Konoha.

But what I'm getting at is that underneath Itachi's justifications, the ones who truly made the sacrifice where the innocent people in the clan who had to be slaughtered for the greater good according to Itachi.

This is what I meant about lacking depth: Kishi introduces brutal, realistic situations then treats them flippantly. It's hard to believe that the whole clan was irretrieveably bad. And it's hard for me to just read about Itachi and deliriously forget that he committed Konoha's only genocide.

He's caused a lot of pain and taken a massive gamble that Sasuke is going to be the savior. And this is why I can't excuse his actions as "just a soldier doing his duty." Itachi had his own agenda as well, which we know from Madara's involvement in the killings.

I would love to see Itachi as a more confused, complex character than he is. That crap about a mysterious illness at the end, that Kishi never bothered naming? It could easily have been some other issue that arose from his guilt, not illness. (My point about the serial killer is that a serial killer comes out of killing and acts normal. A normal person who has to kill comes out deeply, deeply broken. Itachi should be deeply wounded, but his cool according-to-plan behavior makes me doubt it.)

And I'd love to see Naruto having a more realistic attitude toward Itachi. "This dude wiped out a clan and beat up Sasuke in front of me. He's one of the most powerful nins Konoha ever churned out. And he's probably telling the truth...but he still skeeves me out a little bit. I think I'll stand a little closer to Bee...."

Sorry for getting so off topic. But that's what I was thinking when I read this chapter: Man I wish I could like Itachi, but I just can't get there from here. Hope this helps explain my pov as to why.

Edited by tricksie, 25 August 2011 - 05:13 AM.

#43 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Aug 24 2011, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heh, I'll play. Actually Sakura is smiling just as much, plus her expression and the way her eyes are directed toward Naruto closely echoes Kushina's to Minato's on the page before. Plus did you notice Kishimoto has made Kushina's and Sakura's faces look even more alike...

Let's see what else- oh Akamaru is the one connected to Naruto in that panel, Hinata is much smaller and distant from Naruto and she's not noticeably looking toward Naruto, she looks more like she's looking at nothing. The is no space in between Sakura and Naruto, Sakura is much larger and closer to Naruto and like I said her eyes are actually directed at Naruto.... wink.gif

LOL, I was joking with my paragraph of random thoughts, but there might be something there. I did notice Sakura was set a little closer to the front than Hinata, but I guess I just assumed that's because she's more important to the plot. Sakura looks like she's looking at Naruto (or towards the reader anyway) but I can't really tell if Hinata's supposed to be doing the same thing. To be honest, I can never really tell where Hinata's looking, what with those blank eyes of hers. As for the space between Sakura and Naruto, I think Sai is in between them, but I guess he's also set further back, so I don't know.

I do agree, though, that Sakura and Kushina are drawn fairly similar. When I first saw pg. 9, I guess I thought Sakura's smile looked a little, err, dopey or something. But Kushina on the previous page also had a partially-open-mouthed smile. I'm not sure if Kishi draws those sorts of smiles a lot, but at the very least Sakura and Kushina are the only girls in the chapter drawn like that, so maybe that's something. But I'm not sure, I think the fact that I'm actively trying to find similarities might make the comparison centered around my own bias.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 25 August 2011 - 05:28 AM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#44 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Aug 25 2011, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, sorry y'all, but I really don't see Itachi as a hero. He's the instrument of a genocide. He's no more hero than more than a soldier carrying out a RL genocide. (Rwanda, anyone?)

Even the reasons are at odds: on one hand it's an order, but on the other he's doing it to "cleanse his clan." Do you think the innocent people he slaughtered would have chosen that way to be "cleansed"? And what about the children — I find it hard to believe that Sasuke was the only child of the clan. Where they that badass a clan that even the babies had to be exterminated?

And now, what if Sasuke doesn't get redeemed. He will have created the biggest monster to rain hell down on Konoha. Good work for someone who loooooved Konoha so much. Sasuke didn't realize his life was sacrificed to play out this role in Itachi's master plan.

Anyway, I respect that most everyone likes Itachi, and I do understand why. He is presented as having made this great personal sacrifice for the benefit of Konoha.

But what I'm getting at is that underneath Itachi's justifications, the ones who truly made the sacrifice where the innocent people in the clan who had to be slaughtered for the greater good according to Itachi.

This is what I meant about lacking depth: Kishi introduces brutal, realistic situations then treats them flippantly. It's hard to believe that the whole clan was irretrieveably bad. And it's hard for me to just read about Itachi and deliriously forget that he committed Konoha's only genocide.

He's caused a lot of pain and taken a massive gamble that Sasuke is going to be the savior. And this is why I can't excuse his actions as "just a soldier doing his duty." Itachi had his own agenda as well, which we know from Madara's involvement in the killings.

I would love to see Itachi as a more confused, complex character than he is. That crap about a mysterious illness at the end, that Kishi never bothered naming? It could easily have been some other issue that arose from his guilt, not illness. (My point about the serial killer is that a serial killer comes out of killing and acts normal. A normal person who has to kill comes out deeply, deeply broken. Itachi should be deeply wounded, but his cool according-to-plan behavior makes me doubt it.)

And I'd love to see Naruto having a more realistic attitude toward Itachi. "This dude wiped out a clan and beat up Sasuke in front of me. He's one of the most powerful nins Konoha ever churned out. And he's probably telling the truth...but he still skeeves me out a little bit. I think I'll stand a little closer to Bee...."

Sorry for getting so off topic. But that's what I was thinking when I read this chapter: Man I wish I could like Itachi, but I just can't get there from here. Hope this helps explain my pov as to why.

First off, Rwanda was not a country about to conquer and press forward in battle like the Uchiha were in Konoha. Itachi's actions are more similar to the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In order to prevent the loss of lives of more Japanese and American soldiers, two cities, each with men, women, and children were eradicated from the face of the planet in an instant. It doesn't matter whether or not the children of the Uchiha were badasses as you say. Even one that remained alive would more than likely seek revenge as seen by Sasuke. The cycle would have never ended. Hell just by leaving Sasuke alive, everything he worked for was simply washed away. I'm sure Itachi did feel the guilt of all of this, and just because you don't see anything does not mean it doesn't exist. Also your definition of serial killer needs to be looked at. A serial killer can sometimes feel guilt for killing people, but cannot stop because of a psychological breakdown that causes that compulsion.
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#45 HenryFlitzroy

HenryFlitzroy

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Aug 25 2011, 06:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do agree ... to a degree (yeah! cool.gif!..)

I think Itachi has made some very questionable Decisions with slaughtering his entire clan, and especially with Sasuke.
You can't just say : ''oh, but if he hadn't killed the innocent Uchiha, they would have sought Revenge for Sure'' that's just an assumption, and an highly unlikely one at that if the situation would be explained properly and absolutely not an excuse to just kill them all.

And instead of Atleast trying to explain his reasons to Sasuke, He Destroys his future a Second time (first time was when he killed his WHOLE FRIGGING CLAN, remember?) by making revenge his only goal in life.
Really its no wonder Sasuke is the Revenge-Trip Junkie he is nowadays, the blame falls on Itachi for a major part.
I know Itachi did what he thought was best for Konoha, but this does not mean he did the right thing, because as it stands now, letting Sasuke live was not Mercy, it was Cruelty.

I do agree with the little speech Itachi gave Naruto, however other people have told him the same thing to a lesser degree.
I dont Hate Itachi, but i do not think he deserves to be the popular bastard he is.
We spend all our youth chasing money, and when we attain it, we spend all our money chasing youth.

#46 Myth

Myth

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

Whole chapter was great but I just DON'T get it..
How can you bring İTACHİ back and not let him see or talk to his little brother it SUCKS !!

The Fans were excited for this REUNİON sad.gif

Edited by Myth, 25 August 2011 - 08:21 AM.

İn order to survive,we cling to all we know and understand and we label it reality but knowledge and understanding are ambiguous that reality could be an illusion, all humans live with the wrong assumptions isnt that another way of looking at it.

UCHİHA İTACHİ.

#47 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

I dont really think Itachi is going to get to see Sasuke he's going to be fighting Kabuto and we dont know what he can pull.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#48 Amy-chan

Amy-chan

Blonde Gamer

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Animals

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

I really liked this chapter, but im alittle sad Itachi isnt going with Naruto.

#49 RedDelicious

RedDelicious

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Aug 24 2011, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just can't get behind the Itachi love. To me, he is still a bad guy. He just had a good motive.
I'm really not picking on your post, dear. wink.gif It's more in response to all the I-heart-Itachi stuff floating around. I just don't have anymore love for Itachi than I do for Danzo or any of the other characters that have been given a redemption back story. Danzo especially.
I just can't get past his awful deeds, including the scarring of Sasuke for the 'greater good,' to see him as a "good guy" character.

Yup. That's why I posted "first time that I really like(d) Itachi", as this chapter gave him a noble moment with Naruto, that wasn't mixed up with Itachi's mass-murderering/brother-tormenting questionable past. At least Itachi admitted that he screwed up with Sasuke, and figured out that any more involvement on his part wouldn't help.

I'm glad other people are having fun with page 9. Although it means nothing, it's kinda fun to pretend that it does and *deliberately* overanalyze it. But I don't think anyone has answered my two questions:
I guess having Ino in front of Shikamaru can be explained by our little Naruto growing up (blonde babe ahead of best bud).
But why is Hinata behind Akamaru? It's either that, or she is face-to-face with Kiba's dog. headscratch.gif

#50 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (TheOmegaMan @ Aug 25 2011, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off, Rwanda was not a country about to conquer and press forward in battle like the Uchiha were in Konoha. Itachi's actions are more similar to the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In order to prevent the loss of lives of more Japanese and American soldiers, two cities, each with men, women, and children were eradicated from the face of the planet in an instant. It doesn't matter whether or not the children of the Uchiha were badasses as you say. Even one that remained alive would more than likely seek revenge as seen by Sasuke. The cycle would have never ended. Hell just by leaving Sasuke alive, everything he worked for was simply washed away. I'm sure Itachi did feel the guilt of all of this, and just because you don't see anything does not mean it doesn't exist. Also your definition of serial killer needs to be looked at. A serial killer can sometimes feel guilt for killing people, but cannot stop because of a psychological breakdown that causes that compulsion.

Itachi and genocide --Click here to view--
Hmmm.... When one entity sets out to exterminate another entity, be it race, religion, culture, etc. that is genocide. It may be uncomfortable to look at Itachi in such terms, but it was still a genocide.

I'll repeat what I said earlier. Itachi's motives for these killings are very muddied. You can't just fall back on him being a good soldier working for the good of Konoha, because he had this moral motive to cleanse his clan. That hidden agenda is what keeps him from being a completely heroic figure.

"Even one that remained alive would more than likely seek revenge as seen by Sasuke." Seriously? That's your justification for killing children? If that was truly the case, then why did Konoha allow Sasuke to remain alive after Itachi left the clan?

Itachi was working to stop a coup, not a group of troops amassed at the border. To prevent a coup, he would only need to wipe out those involved. But he had this other shady motive involving Madara to cleanse the clan, hit the reset button. For that, every person needed to be killed.

So if his motives were to squelch the revengeful nature of the cursed clan, and if we stick to that as the reason that he killed, then he would have known that by leaving Sasuke to live he was creating a vengeful monster. So again, I cannot go look kindly on Itachi's actions because he twisted Sasuke into what he is today, by forcing Sasuke to become the savior in this massive game he's playing with people's lives.

By following Itachi's reasoning, that the whole clan was bad, cursed and vengeful, then Sasuke is acting exactly how he should be acting today. It was only Itachi who thought that wiping out your family and your parents before your eyes would bring about a positive change in Sasuke.

Like I said, Itachi is a complex character with a complex set of motives. He could be so much more than just a flat cheerleader for Konoha. But his past the wobbily explanation of why he set the ball rolling, his character is never explored. He sheds a few tears, so the audience is meant to understand that he feels some guilt. But even that is skimmed over. Itachi's role in the story was filled, and there his complexity ends.

Kishi has spent much more time making the case against Sasuke — who imho is acting pretty authentically as being mad at the world — than he has against the ones who have done the real villainy. Kabuto? We know nothing about him. Yet he is one of the two main villains right now. We're robbed of the joy of really hating Kabuto!

Last chapter, I was on the fence as to whether Kishi was talking about himself when writing that Part 1 with Jiraiya was good, Part 2 with Nagato was a failure, and now Naruto will come in and fix it with Part 3. It's so overt, it's kind of hard to believe that he was being literal. But thinking about it this morning, and the many different plot twists he could have taken to get to this point, I'm now leaning the other way. All that development with Team Hebi, where did that go? And we're getting new characters at a whirlwind rate, about every three chapters or so, when there were very few new characters introduced from the beginning of Shippuden to around the meeting of the Kages. The tone and pace is so different now, which makes the Sasuke focus look so slow and sluggish. I just wonder if it wasn't Kishimoto acknowledging that he might have done things differently.

For instance a more developed Itachi backstory, told from his pov, instead of Madara's flashback. Or missions/altercations with the other countries as laying the groundwork for the battle to come. And certainly more character development of Sasuke. To really give the audience a reason to still root for him alongside Naruto, allowing us to see that little glimmer of humanity that Naruto still clings to in him. Instead of being worn out from the focus on the same old angry Sasuke and Naruto's near obsession with him.

In this chapter, someone mentioned above that they were bummed that Itachi wouldn't get to see Sasuke apparently. Yeah, my thoughts too.

Honestly, that a cheap way out on Kishimoto's part. Because if Itachi saw Sasuke then he would have to confront the fact that his organized plan didn't work. And it would place Itachi in a very negative light, really making the reader question why he killed all those people (like I regularly do). Again, a chance for complexity here that is missed. Because if they don't see each other, then the lines are never blurred: Itachi is still seen as the hero of the master plan and Sasuke is still firmly the villain who is fighting against it. And Naruto is the one who has to redeem him.

Again, I sometimes think Sasuke is the only one acting true-to-life in the manga. Which is why I still like him. Not because of Team 7 idolatry. But simply because he won't give in, to anyone. His motives are uncomplicated and rooted in deep pain — pain caused by some of the ones who are touted as the heros in the story. He's angry and lashing back at everyone's master plans, from Itachi to Madara to Danzo. He wants none of it and is on his own side. To me, his motives are more clear than anybody else in the manga.

edit: I've been thinking about Itachi lately because I'm considering doing the NaNoWriMo in November. I think the complex characters are much more interesting than the flat ones. So as I'm writing up my OCs, whether the heroes, villains or anti-heroes, I want to make sure that their complex decisions carry on intact. I don't want it to end up like Itachi, a challenging character doing thought-provoking deeds, only to let them wither away as a plot device later in the story.

QUOTE (RedDelicious @ Aug 25 2011, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least Itachi admitted that he screwed up with Sasuke, and figured out that any more involvement on his part wouldn't help.

just saw your post! — Yeah, I thought that was interesting too. I was glad he did it. But how did he know? Was he watching Sasuke from the afterlife or did someone mention it to him specifically. I can't remember. (Naruto may have said something in the last chapter or two that I'm forgetting....)

Edited by tricksie, 25 August 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#51 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

Well what Itachi said is true BUT we all know Naruto will HAVE to fight some battles alone plus I disagree with Itachi's statement about how Naruto will become like Madara. He will only become like Madara IF he loses all hope in humanity and thinks only of himself and if he governs the world would things be ideal which we all know is not true. Naruto should not think everything is up to him but you could see why he wanted to right? He does not want to lose anyone he made bonds with it's a simple reason but to him it's most precious of all. Its not that he disregarded his bonds but he was obsessed with stopping the war be cause he knows how painful it is to lose someone

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#52 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

Loving hockey games and Hard Rock Music

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Interests:Reading forums, and listening to hard rock/alt rock music.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Aug 24 2011, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL, I was joking with my paragraph of random thoughts, but there might be something there. I did notice Sakura was set a little closer to the front than Hinata, but I guess I just assumed that's because she's more important to the plot. Sakura looks like she's looking at Naruto (or towards the reader anyway) but I can't really tell if Hinata's supposed to be doing the same thing. To be honest, I can never really tell where Hinata's looking, what with those blank eyes of hers. As for the space between Sakura and Naruto, I think Sai is in between them, but I guess he's also set further back, so I don't know.

I do agree, though, that Sakura and Kushina are drawn fairly similar. When I first saw pg. 9, I guess I thought Sakura's smile looked a little, err, dopey or something. But Kushina on the previous page also had a partially-open-mouthed smile. I'm not sure if Kishi draws those sorts of smiles a lot, but at the very least Sakura and Kushina are the only girls in the chapter drawn like that, so maybe that's something. But I'm not sure, I think the fact that I'm actively trying to find similarities might make the comparison centered around my own bias.

Well, if there is one thing to take solace from page nine, it is that, at least, they are still friends and could rely on each other, which shoots down people that probably think that Sakura's confession has killed their friendship and trust. As always, I look forward to the next chapter.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#53 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

Mangastream 552

I don't think Itachi meant he'd end up literally like Madara, but if he tried to do everyting alone, he would run the risk of alienating his friends, with the gap between them expanding, they mighe end up alienating him, and he might end up thinking he's better than the others and not value their opinions like before, which could lead to arrogance, and could change him. They do say Power can change people, with Madara being a classic example, he started as a leader of the Uchiha, who came to resent his clan because he felt they became weak by agreeing to the peace treaty, and that led to a rift between them which ultimately led to him being the mastermind behind their demise.

iAnby7W.gif

#54 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Aug 25 2011, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll repeat what I said earlier. Itachi's motives for these killings are very muddied. You can't just fall back on him being a good soldier working for the good of Konoha, because he had this moral motive to cleanse his clan. That hidden agenda is what keeps him from being a completely heroic figure.

"Even one that remained alive would more than likely seek revenge as seen by Sasuke." Seriously? That's your justification for killing children? If that was truly the case, then why did Konoha allow Sasuke to remain alive after Itachi left the clan?

And this is why I agree with Danzou when he said that Itachi's greatest failure was Sasuke.
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#55 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hmmm.... When one entity sets out to exterminate another entity, be it race, religion, culture, etc. that is genocide. It may be uncomfortable to look at Itachi in such terms, but it was still a genocide.

Itachi was working to stop a coup, not a group of troops amassed at the border. To prevent a coup, he would only need to wipe out those involved. But he had this other shady motive involving Madara to cleanse the clan, hit the reset button. For that, every person needed to be killed.

So if his motives were to squelch the revengeful nature of the cursed clan, and if we stick to that as the reason that he killed, then he would have known that by leaving Sasuke to live he was creating a vengeful monster. So again, I cannot go look kindly on Itachi's actions because he twisted Sasuke into what he is today, by forcing Sasuke to become the savior in this massive game he's playing with people's lives.

By following Itachi's reasoning, that the whole clan was bad, cursed and vengeful, then Sasuke is acting exactly how he should be acting today. It was only Itachi who thought that wiping out your family and your parents before your eyes would bring about a positive change in Sasuke.

But it's Not a Genocide a more apt measure would be a Purge.

And I agree that Itachi's character seems to have gone from total villian to complete grey area as this story as it has progressed. But we don't know the whole story of the Uchiha motives, it hasn't been truly answered whether the Uchiha were Good or Evil outside of Madara.

And Itachi only said he wasn't going to see Sasuke, I doubt Kishi would just completely remove it from the equation. And Sasuke seemed not to care about taking his brother's eyes in order to have his vengence when Naruto stood in his way from killing his former team. And Hebi shows the parallel that was reaffirmed in this chapter, Naruto doesn't see people as a means to an end or tools like Sasuke does when he abandoned Jugo and Suigetsu and nearly took out Karin when he killed Danzo.

But it the greater complexity that entrances people to Itachi for the guilt and burden placed on his character. Starting when Naruto recieved the crow Itachi's character has gone from Dark Brooding Uchiha Boss to recieving empathy the minute Itachi was given an excuse people felt sorry for him. Even though he still set in motion the events that made Sasuke turn to revenge.

#56 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

Like I said, Itachi is a complex character with a complex set of motives. He could be so much more than just a flat cheerleader for Konoha. But his past the wobbily explanation of why he set the ball rolling, his character is never explored. He sheds a few tears, so the audience is meant to understand that he feels some guilt. But even that is skimmed over. Itachi's role in the story was filled, and there his complexity ends.

Kishi has spent much more time making the case against Sasuke — who imho is acting pretty authentically as being mad at the world — than he has against the ones who have done the real villainy. Kabuto? We know nothing about him. Yet he is one of the two main villains right now. We're robbed of the joy of really hating Kabuto!

Last chapter, I was on the fence as to whether Kishi was talking about himself when writing that Part 1 with Jiraiya was good, Part 2 with Nagato was a failure, and now Naruto will come in and fix it with Part 3. It's so overt, it's kind of hard to believe that he was being literal. But thinking about it this morning, and the many different plot twists he could have taken to get to this point, I'm now leaning the other way. All that development with Team Hebi, where did that go? And we're getting new characters at a whirlwind rate, about every three chapters or so, when there were very few new characters introduced from the beginning of Shippuden to around the meeting of the Kages. The tone and pace is so different now, which makes the Sasuke focus look so slow and sluggish. I just wonder if it wasn't Kishimoto acknowledging that he might have done things differently.

For instance a more developed Itachi backstory, told from his pov, instead of Madara's flashback. Or missions/altercations with the other countries as laying the groundwork for the battle to come. And certainly more character development of Sasuke. To really give the audience a reason to still root for him alongside Naruto, allowing us to see that little glimmer of humanity that Naruto still clings to in him. Instead of being worn out from the focus on the same old angry Sasuke and Naruto's near obsession with him.

In this chapter, someone mentioned above that they were bummed that Itachi wouldn't get to see Sasuke apparently. Yeah, my thoughts too.

Honestly, that a cheap way out on Kishimoto's part. Because if Itachi saw Sasuke then he would have to confront the fact that his organized plan didn't work. And it would place Itachi in a very negative light, really making the reader question why he killed all those people (like I regularly do). Again, a chance for complexity here that is missed. Because if they don't see each other, then the lines are never blurred: Itachi is still seen as the hero of the master plan and Sasuke is still firmly the villain who is fighting against it. And Naruto is the one who has to redeem him.

Again, I sometimes think Sasuke is the only one acting true-to-life in the manga. Which is why I still like him. Not because of Team 7 idolatry. But simply because he won't give in, to anyone. His motives are uncomplicated and rooted in deep pain — pain caused by some of the ones who are touted as the heros in the story. He's angry and lashing back at everyone's master plans, from Itachi to Madara to Danzo. He wants none of it and is on his own side. To me, his motives are more clear than anybody else in the manga.

edit: I've been thinking about Itachi lately because I'm considering doing the NaNoWriMo in November. I think the complex characters are much more interesting than the flat ones. So as I'm writing up my OCs, whether the heroes, villains or anti-heroes, I want to make sure that their complex decisions carry on intact. I don't want it to end up like Itachi, a challenging character doing thought-provoking deeds, only to let them wither away as a plot device later in the story.

just saw your post! — Yeah, I thought that was interesting too. I was glad he did it. But how did he know? Was he watching Sasuke from the afterlife or did someone mention it to him specifically. I can't remember. (Naruto may have said something in the last chapter or two that I'm forgetting....)

While I don't think I'm completely on-board with where you stand on Itachi, I do completely agree in regards to your comments in this post and previous posts about this whole thing being underdeveloped and flat. In this paritcular, case, you can go back to the Uchicha massacre and look at shown: The only people shown dead are Itachi's parents and random Uchiha. No kids or anything of that nature. Even when Madara brings it up to Sasuke we know the whole clan was eliminateddown to the last person (save Sasuke, Madara, and Itachi), but what he doesn't spell out is how wide spread in the clan it was.

We know Sasuke and Itachi's after headed it and there is strong argument to be made that it was Mikoto that betrayed Kushina and, thus, allowed the Kyuubi attack to happen. Although, it makes me wonder about Madara's involvement with the clan and who knew about him because he also participates in it's destruction six years later.

You argue that only those involved should be killed, but who is that? Some? All? Were they involving any of the kids? Sasuke obviously didn't know, but was it just Sasuke? I wonder if it Kishimoto's failure to deal with that is intentional or not. I think it certaintly complicates Itachi understanding or redemptive moment if he shown slaying children even younger than Sasuke. But then that raises the question of what, okay, you got all these kids who don't know anything what do you do with them? Off, the involved parents and leave them as orhpans or one-parent families and create an entire generation of Sasukes? Was or is Itachi right to even keep a secret from the village and Sasuke? Did Itachi know, to the person, who was involved? What does Sasuke do if he knows...could he still side with his own clan and end up hating the village and Itachi?

I think OmegaMan's comparison to the nuclear bomb on Japan, in that many people were killed to prevent many, many more people being killed, is a good one but misses and important distiction. I forget the actual estimates of the causulties of a mainland invasion, but it was astronomically high. There is one potential problem, once the decision to drop the bomb was made, collateral damage was inevitable. You can't instruct a bomb to kill only those involved. Itachi, however, could chose who to eliminate and who to spare. If fact, he did do that with his own family.

My larger point is that there is a lot unanswered one and that I have a concern about the fact no one seems to challenge what Itachi chose to do. Sasuke just opposes it, but doesn't spend a lot of time questioning it. I think things like this have occured across Part 2. My least favorite chapter of the War Arc so far in the confrontation with the Raikage and Tsunade because Kishimoto set up such a straw man by the Raikage. The second he said that they were weapons and that basically their existence as human beings were irrelevent he became instantly discredited and Tsunade virtually had no choice, but to side with Naruto is she wanted to maintain any credibility herself. To me, it was such a weak challenge because it was cast it in such a way as to make the decision obvious. I don't have issues with the ultimately resolution (them letting the two fight and them being percieved as ultimately right), but I wish the Raikage put a better fight than that (and I don't mean a physical fight). To me, it didn't provide any deep thought on the issue or represent a serious challegne to what Bee and Naruto wanted to do.

Things like this were one reason I hated the mass ressurection at the end of the Pain Arc so much.

Ultimately, I think I to the extent I sympathize with Itachi not it's because I feel he was in a position where he was damned no matter what he did. The only difference I saw between his options was how damned he was. It makes me wish Kishimoto spent a lot more time fleshing him out.

And one other note about the chapter, I hope the "don't do it alone speech" is a foreshadow that he literally won't do it alone and less of him fighting alone and saying it's the support of the people that inspire him (i.e. I hope Sakura does more than cheerlead or serve as a source of inspiration, I hope fights Sasuke with him). I despise the Naruto/Kakuzu fight for a lot of reasons, but one of them is the fact that he profess he has to do it himself and everyone lets him after spending so much time in Part 1 about the importance of "team."

#57 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

Maybe I'm a little late but Hey I loved this chapter!

I am so glad Itachi educated Naruto the way he did. Perhaps he was the only one who could have said those things because he isn't as close to Naruto as, say Iruka, so he isn't distracted by things like "Naruto's painful past." He doesn't feel sorry for Naruto and he doesn't care one way or the other if he becomes Hokage. So he can say stuff like, if you continue on this path it will lead to the dark side!

Plus, I think Itachi's little speech about keeping your friends close will rock the boat a bit in our NS ship. It feels like we've been stuck on a sailboat with no wind for a while now, and with this we might just pick up a little breeze!

Looks like Itachi is going to fight Kabutomaru! I was kind of expecting Naruto to take that guy down, but this could be interesting. I'm stoked.

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

#58 RedDelicious

RedDelicious

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

I have a question: What was Madara's involvement in the attempted Uchiha coup? Was he trying to help them stage a revolution, or was he setting them up so the Leaf elder's would exterminate them? (Madara was mad at his own clan for voting him out.)

tricksie, when I read chapter 549, pages 7-9, I could almost hear a Homer Simpson "doh!" facepalm.png when Itachi heard what Sasuke was doing.

Here is my problem with Itachi's handling of Sasuke... He could have said, "I'm going to continue doing bad things until you stop me. The only way to do that, to be able to defend the village and those you care about, is to become stronger." That *might* have put Sasuke onto the same path that Naruto took. Instead, Itachi told Saskuke that he was weak and worthless, that the only way he would gain respect is if he killed Itachi. That set Sasuke on the path where only power matters, and that anyone who might be a rival (like Naruto) is a threat instead of a potential ally.

I think at some level, Itachi taught Sasuke another (unwelcome) lesson. Itachi wiped out the entire clan (man, woman, and child) instead of just killing the leaders. As long as Itachi took the blame as a renegade Akatsuki, the Uchiha clan would have targeted him, not the Leaf. But Itachi did it anyways. Now we see Sasuke, who has killed Danzo, has (justified) hatred for the Leaf elders. Sasuke decides that he needs to wipe out every Leaf villager (man, woman, and child), no matter how small their involvement with the Uchiha massacre.

#59 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Ok, here I go with my take on Itachi *rubs hands*

While what everyone else has said is great and all, I think we've missed one thing about Itachi's character as the slayer of the Uchiha clan. His mental condition.

Itachi was only 13 at the time when he carried out the massacre, when Itachi found out about the plans for the coup, he was mentally shocked. It's a lot and too much for a 13-year old to take. Especially when he loved the village. (I believe it was Minato who had a hand in this) Moving on, as he was so young, it would've been easy to confuse him and take advantage of his mental instability at the time.

I believe it was Madara and Danzo's doing here. They toyed with Itachi's mind so that he would ultimately carry out the massacre sparing no one even the innocents. In fact, they wouldn't even need Shisui's eye for this. Madara's mind games were more than enough to mess with Itachi. Itachi, as smart as he was (possibly on par with Shikamaru at the time) couldn't possibly think straight enough as his mind had yet to fully mature at such a young age. As for Shisui, he may have also been messed up by Danzo as well, but he realized what Danzo and Madara was truly aiming for. Alas, it was already too late when he realized it, as a result, he lost his left eye to Danzo. As a last resort, he passed his right eye onto Itachi.

That's my take on it.

I absolutely agree with tricksie and Nate, we need to see the massacre from Itachi's POV. I believe we may see a Gaiden of Itachi as well as he is one of the biggest actors behind the scenes of the major events in the story. Hopefully, it'll be like Minato's.

On a side note: Did anybody realize how politically-savvy Kishimoto was in this chapter??

Itachi's speech seems to be a blunt critique towards the Arab dictators that are falling one by one. I think the timing is way too much to be a coincidence. I'm impressed, not too many authors would take the effort to do that. So in other words, Naruto is just almost as "seinen" as Bleach. Kudos to you, sir!!!

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#60 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

cool chapter biggrin.gif i liked the part when itachi said " the village didnt acknowledge minato because he became the hokage, He became the hokage because the village acknowledged him"

its like all this time naruto thought that becoming hokage would make everything better for him....but im glad itachi pointed that out.

on a side note....KISHI!!! everyones is taking all the baddies!! let sakura have someone!!! ANYONE!.....T^T

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users