#21 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jul 12 2011, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You forget Mei. She's a healer too. wink.gif But unlike many other healers, she can also kick ass at the same time. Hell, she held her ground against Father awesomely. Even Father didn't come close to finishing her before Scar activated his circle.

And you forgot Hawkeye. One of the best sniper's in the country, and always ready to cap Mustang if he gets out of line. XD
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#22 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

I wonder if FMA's strong female cast has anything to do with it having a female mangaka.

Maybe, but not necessarily. There many manga and anime made by men with strong female characters: Princess Sapphire (Princess Knight), Honey Kisaragi (Cutey Honey. Alright, this series introduced fanservice in anime, but Honey was one of the first action girls and she kicked butts in fights), Sayaka Yumi (Mazinger-Z), Jun (Gatchaman), Misa Hayase (Macross), the whole cast of BubbleGum Crisis, three of the four main characters of Dangaioh (the fourth character was a boy who wasn't the team leader, was weaker than any of his female companions, was aware of the fact and was completely unbothered by it), Madoka Ayukawa (Kimagure Orange Road), Belldandy (Oh, My Goddess!), Gally (Battle Angel Alita), Lina Inverse (Slayers)...

Those are examples I can think of the top of my head. It also depends on how you define strength: whether we are talking about strong of mind, of body or fighting skill. You can find plenty examples of strong-willed female characters who often are beaten or need being rescued, female characters are powerful fighters but also are Ms. Fanservice, female characters are hugely powerful but seldom they show their skills, and characters would be powerhouses in the real world but they are overshadowed on their own world (Let's see examples: Sakura can seem weak compared with Naruto or Sasuke. However she defeated with one single kick an adult man when she was twelve, back in the Wave Country Arc. Akane Tendo also seemed weak when you compared her with Ranma, Ryoga or Shampoo. Still she was a powerful martial artist capable to win thirty-to-one fights against armed foes. Kaoru was weaker than Kenshin or Saito. She also was a National Champion-level kendoist...)

But I guess that's probably pretty simplistic logic on my part, since I don't know very many modern-day female manga writers.

Well... There are many female writers writing shojo manga. But I only can think of two instances of female writers writing shonen manga: Rumiko Takahashi and CLAMP. And neither of them are quite modern.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#23 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Jul 11 2011, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL of course. Just look at the amount of development the two main male characters get in comparison to Sakura. She is nothing more than a blip in the entire timeline of the story. At least three generations of Konoha teams that were most prominent included the female member always being the medic. Tsunade in comparison certainly wasn't on par with Oro or Jiraiya and Sakura is headed down the same route given her development compared to Naruto and Sasuke. Honestly, what female warrior have we seen anywhere near the level of the most powerful male warriors? But it doesn't bother me most of the female ninja are in some way medics. It just doesn't look very awesome in comparison to the guys, most of the time. The girls not getting at least some development beyond their romantic interests is what bothers me. TenTen doesn't even have a last name and Sakura barely has a back story. Come on, it wouldn't kill him to do a little more, would it?

Not only that but I find Kishi's interpretation of a 'real girl', aka Sakura, to be pretty unrealistic at this point.

Perhaps there are some girls who would still be in love with a guy who has tried to kill her multiple times. I'm not a ninja so what do I know? XD Doesn't mean I don't support Sakura, I just don't find her all that realistic anymore on certain accounts, nor do I find Kishimoto all that gifted at writing women. Seeing as how he admitted he wasn't very good at it, or comfortable with it, I suppose it shows.

Oh I can't believe I haven't found this thread earlier. Oh, well. Great discussion and I love your thoughts, you guys. I wish I could respond to all of them but let's see.
Miss Soupy, that's the thing that bugs me the most. Female characters in Naruto are only worth anything if they're medics. Every team consists of two guys and one girl whose purpose is to heal and if she can't do that she's more or less worthless. Of course the captain of the team is male, because female jōnin-level kunoichi in the village could be counted on one hand.
Honestly, the only thing the girls have got going for them is their intelligence(at least Kishi made them smart) but that also isn't very impressive since the real geniuses are also men.

Indeed, what I love about Harakawa's writing is that almost everyone in FMA can hold their own next to each other. I don't mean combat-wise, but as characters. Even Winry, despite not being a fighter or alchemist manages to be a "healer" (on account of being Ed's automail engineer) but she's not shoehorned into crying and pining at the background all the time.

I just recently started with FMA manga so I don't know a lot about the other female characters, but Winry reminds me of Sakura. She also does her own thing, is a healer but most of the time just cries and worries. But that doesn't bother me that much because she can't use alchemy nor is in the army so she's just there for moral support let's say. On the other hand, Sakura is a trained warrior but in reality she plays a similar role as Winry it seems to me.

#24 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (Kim @ Jul 12 2011, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just recently started with FMA manga so I don't know a lot about the other female characters, but Winry reminds me of Sakura. She also does her own thing, is a healer but most of the time just cries and worries. But that doesn't bother me that much because she can't use alchemy nor is in the army so she's just there for moral support let's say. On the other hand, Sakura is a trained warrior but in reality she plays a similar role as Winry it seems to me.

At least she cries with reason and all the times she's cried that I can count from the top of my head is that she usually cries when she's angry or furious at the boys, not because of some wangst she's going through. Although, I feel that Arakawa could have also had Winry cry on occasions where she's just trying to get Ed to go on a guilt trip. That would've given some good laughs when Ed finds out she was crying on purpose to get Ed's guilt trip going. Would love to see a sneakier and manipulative!Winry like that.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#25 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (Kim @ Jul 12 2011, 03:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Winry plays a much more important role than Sakura will ever hope to play hands down, IMO. So yeah.

#26 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (TheOmegaMan @ Jul 12 2011, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Winry plays a much more important role than Sakura will ever hope to play hands down, IMO. So yeah.

Mind elaborating?

I guess it depends on how you define an important role, but I've always seen the two as sort of in the same light. I agree with Kim, in that Winry's sort of there for moral support, as well as being the 'healer'. I think this aspect of her character is superior to Sakura's though, since the whole Sasuke issue really hurts her character perception, at least in my opinion. I guess that sort of brings up the point whether or not a heroine needs to also be a love interest to play that role. I don't necessarily think so, but it seems to be the case a lot.
But as far as combat goes, Sakura definitely plays a bigger part. I mean she hasn't had many big battles compared to some of the other characters, but at least she does have a secondary role, albeit a minor one (I can only think of a few of Sakura's fights, and the one with Sasori is only one that really stands out to me). Edward even made a point of making sure Winry wouldn't take a combat role in the plot (during her confrontation with Scar).

Edited by Boom...Winning, 12 July 2011 - 02:01 PM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#27 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Jul 12 2011, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mind elaborating?

I guess it depends on how you define an important role, but I've always seen the two as sort of in the same light. I agree with Kim, in that Winry's sort of there for moral support, as well as being the 'healer'. I think this aspect of her character is superior to Sakura's though, since the whole Sasuke issue really hurts her character perception, at least in my opinion. I guess that sort of brings up the point whether or not a heroine needs to also be a love interest to play that role. I don't necessarily think so, but it seems to be the case a lot.
But as far as combat goes, Sakura definitely plays a bigger part. I mean she hasn't had many big battles compared to some of the other characters, but at least she does have a secondary role, albeit a minor one (I can only think of a few of Sakura's fights, and the one with Sasori is only one that really stands out to me). Edward even made a point of making sure Winry wouldn't take a combat role in the plot (during her confrontation with Scar).

Well Winry might have played support, but without her and her ability to not take the path of revenge to destroy an enemy....
Scar wouldn't have aided Ed and Al and either Scar or Ed would have possibly died instead.

#28 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

I personally Prefer Sakura and Naruto maximize their potential and learn new jutsu for combat right now because its only Sasuke that's getting jutsu development dry.gif anyway Sakura IS strong its just that she was always the one that seems to lack resolve I know it's not true but others think so because besides beating Sasori, she hasn't done anthing of importance and also because of 540. I KNEW that would just spark a new ignition on her character bashing I constantly see her being crapped because people assume that panel is an SS moment and are hating on her harder than ever for "loving" Sasuke even though he tried to kill her constantly during their part II reunions so fans just think she's a retard and hasn't grown up sigh* I somewhat wish that panel wasn't made or at least changed dry.gif oh well a NS will make everything better cool.gif so besides female roles in Naruto what does everyone here think of the big three?

Edited by Phantom_999, 12 July 2011 - 09:56 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#29 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Jul 12 2011, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so besides female roles in Naruto what does everyone here think of the big three?

Well, I only read 2/3 of those manga. I suppose it is true enough that I dont read One Piece mostly because the art is so unappealing to me XD;;;

Bleach being low ranking right now doesn't really surprise me either. The current arc seems to be more related to insight on why Ichigo needs to be able to fight rather than something that will fit in with the main story line much. I don't feel the same sense of worry in this arc because I know there is more beyond it for the story and thus it seems less dramatic to me. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, but generally the pacing this arc has been slow which is probably why readers aren't keeping up as closely. I suspect once the real storyline comes back into focus though, readers will be watching bleach more closely.

As far as editors wanting to string out the stories of the Main 3, I suppose it might be true. We do know that editors influenced a few things in the Naruto storyline, from the creation of Sasuke and Sakura, to the extra scenes given to Sasuke's teams. With bleach, I'm not really sure. Kubo revealed that the Arrancar arc could have been the end of bleach if the editors decided to stop bleach serialization. But since bleach, and the arrancar arc, were so popular, there was no way they wanted to stop its production. Kubo said he had 10 more years of material he would cover, so it doesn't seem like he was ready to quit either.

I used to be extremely passionate about Naruto, but anymore it doesn't appeal to me nearly as much. It started a pretty horrible downhill after the Pain Invasion arc, and hasn't been able to pick up my interests since. I suppose I read it hoping things will change....and that it is something to do, lol XD I feel pretty sad about how things have changed since I used to love the story and its characters so much >: One thing is sure, Kishi is really trying to incorporate some pretty heavy ideas in his story.

#30 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

Yeah Naruto is somewhat losing momentum BUT it will ALWAYS be my favorite in the Big 3 and my all time favorite along with FullMetal Alchemist cool.gif a_thumbs.gif

#31 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Jul 13 2011, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I only read 2/3 of those manga. I suppose it is true enough that I dont read One Piece mostly because the art is so unappealing to me XD;;;

Bleach being low ranking right now doesn't really surprise me either. The current arc seems to be more related to insight on why Ichigo needs to be able to fight rather than something that will fit in with the main story line much. I don't feel the same sense of worry in this arc because I know there is more beyond it for the story and thus it seems less dramatic to me. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, but generally the pacing this arc has been slow which is probably why readers aren't keeping up as closely. I suspect once the real storyline comes back into focus though, readers will be watching bleach more closely.

As far as editors wanting to string out the stories of the Main 3, I suppose it might be true. We do know that editors influenced a few things in the Naruto storyline, from the creation of Sasuke and Sakura, to the extra scenes given to Sasuke's teams. With bleach, I'm not really sure. Kubo revealed that the Arrancar arc could have been the end of bleach if the editors decided to stop bleach serialization. But since bleach, and the arrancar arc, were so popular, there was no way they wanted to stop its production. Kubo said he had 10 more years of material he would cover, so it doesn't seem like he was ready to quit either.

I used to be extremely passionate about Naruto, but anymore it doesn't appeal to me nearly as much. It started a pretty horrible downhill after the Pain Invasion arc, and hasn't been able to pick up my interests since. I suppose I read it hoping things will change....and that it is something to do, lol XD I feel pretty sad about how things have changed since I used to love the story and its characters so much >: One thing is sure, Kishi is really trying to incorporate some pretty heavy ideas in his story.

I'm curious as to what you don't like since that point. My unhappiness with aspects of Part 2 really began after Sasuke's return in 298 and in pariticular the Hidan/Shika and Naruto/Kakuzu fights.

#32 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Jul 13 2011, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm actually glad Bleach continued, there were too many unanswered questions, Chad's powers, Yachiru's namesake, and Isshin's past being a few of them (I'm glad the new arc responded to one of those happy.gif ). Plus, I'd be royally ticked if we never saw Grimmjow again. Getting blindsided, protected by Ichigo, and just disappearing off-panel is hardly a decent conclusion for one of my favorite manga characters.
The only thing that really annoyed me is how new villains are still being introduced. Aizen always struck me as the 'villain to end all villains' in Bleach. It's sort of reminds me of DBZ, it was really hard for me to stay interested in villains like Cell and Buu after they fought Frieza for so darn long.
But who knows, maybe Aizen will return somehow.

I sort of agree with this, though my interest kind of wavers with the arc I'm reading. The Iron Country Arc wasn't my favorite, but I loved the Confinement Arc. I didn't think I'd grow to like new characters this late in the manga, but Kishi proved me wrong Kushina and Bee, whose pasts were really delved into in that arc.
The current War Arc feels kind of drawn out though. Bringing back every old villain, and a bunch of other random enemies, for the heroes to fight one on one at the end just seems boring after a while. Stuff like that works in video games, but it doesn't really interest me as much otherwise.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#33 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jul 13 2011, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious as to what you don't like since that point. My unhappiness with aspects of Part 2 really began after Sasuke's return in 298 and in pariticular the Hidan/Shika and Naruto/Kakuzu fights.

Oh, you are right, I had forgotten the, basically, 'Sasuke arc'. Then yes, I would agree, I was starting to grow dissatisfied with Naruto around then, but there were some parts in between which were ok to me so I was probably still loathe to be too worried over it. After the Pain Arc there wasn't really anything I looked forward to and it has continued to be, imo, a pretty horrible fanfic in many parts since then.

I think my biggest problem is Team 7 basically was forgotten. I loved the rebuilding it did with including Sai and involving Kakashi and Yamato. Anymore it barely seems important that Team 7 existed at all.

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Jul 13 2011, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing that really annoyed me is how new villains are still being introduced. Aizen always struck me as the 'villain to end all villains' in Bleach. It's sort of reminds me of DBZ, it was really hard for me to stay interested in villains like Cell and Buu after they fought Frieza for so darn long.
But who knows, maybe Aizen will return somehow.

Aizen will certainly appear again. The fullbring arc, to me, is something of a break from the real story. It is meant to show Ichigo's reasons for having powers, I think.

I sort of agree with this, though my interest kind of wavers with the arc I'm reading. The Iron Country Arc wasn't my favorite, but I loved the Confinement Arc. I didn't think I'd grow to like new characters this late in the manga, but Kishi proved me wrong Kushina and Bee, whose pasts were really delved into in that arc.
The current War Arc feels kind of drawn out though. Bringing back every old villain, and a bunch of other random enemies, for the heroes to fight one on one at the end just seems boring after a while. Stuff like that works in video games, but it doesn't really interest me as much otherwise.

For me, it's hard to get into the new characters of Naruto because I liked the old characters so much and felt let down with their sudden unimportance. At least with bleach, the main supporting characters have always been involved. Also, if you aren't seeing a specific character, you will most likely seem them in a comic or artwork by Kubo in the meantime, so it doesn't seem so bad.

#34 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:36 AM

i wonder why people dont like one piece's art?

i think it looks awesome biggrin.gif and once you start reading it, im sure it wont bother you.

then again i'm just used it X33

but i rather watch than read one piece :T

i mean look at my avatar!! isnt luffy cute :3

Edited by merryGOflava, 14 July 2011 - 01:37 AM.

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#35 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Jul 14 2011, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, you are right, I had forgotten the, basically, 'Sasuke arc'. Then yes, I would agree, I was starting to grow dissatisfied with Naruto around then, but there were some parts in between which were ok to me so I was probably still loathe to be too worried over it. After the Pain Arc there wasn't really anything I looked forward to and it has continued to be, imo, a pretty horrible fanfic in many parts since then.

I think my biggest problem is Team 7 basically was forgotten. I loved the rebuilding it did with including Sai and involving Kakashi and Yamato. Anymore it barely seems important that Team 7 existed at all.

Aizen will certainly appear again. The fullbring arc, to me, is something of a break from the real story. It is meant to show Ichigo's reasons for having powers, I think.

For me, it's hard to get into the new characters of Naruto because I liked the old characters so much and felt let down with their sudden unimportance. At least with bleach, the main supporting characters have always been involved. Also, if you aren't seeing a specific character, you will most likely seem them in a comic or artwork by Kubo in the meantime, so it doesn't seem so bad.

Soupy, our tastes in manga is so similar that it's scary, lol, I feel exactly the same way about Naruto, about Bleach, hell, even One Piece.
I also believe that Naruto in general just went completely down hill after Pain arc, the unnecessary melodrama between Naruto and Sakura with that messed confession, the unbereable obssession that Naruto haves on Sasuke, that lame training arc were Naruto was easily fooled, the random vilians pop-ins during the war arc, I just think that Kishimoto lost his touch, and I fear it will not return.

Well, Aizen might return again, but I seriously don't want to see that god cheat again, seriously, he defeated the others so easily that it wasn't even funny.

And on the side notes, I also don't read One Piece because I just can't bring myself to like the art style.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#36 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (merryGOflava @ Jul 14 2011, 02:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i wonder why people dont like one piece's art?

i think it looks awesome biggrin.gif and once you start reading it, im sure it wont bother you.

then again i'm just used it X33

but i rather watch than read one piece :T

i mean look at my avatar!! isnt luffy cute :3

yeah but the ironic thing is that it's been done before it's like dragon ball just saying Oda is only using dragon ball as his inspiration and I never found Luffy cute not at all but that's just me

#37 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:45 AM

I'm so honored thanks everyone!

Don't forget how awesome my Volume Covers and Poems are too!

#38 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Jul 14 2011, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah but the ironic thing is that it's been done before it's like dragon ball just saying Oda is only using dragon ball as his inspiration and I never found Luffy cute not at all but that's just me

but its not like dragon ball Z.

luffy seems like goku at first glance, but isnt at all.

-luffy is acting stupid most of the time, and is fully aware of whats going on, even though ppl think hes not. and likes a good laugh.

-goku is pure-hearted and care-free.

dragonball z doesnt focus on the friends as much as one piece

one piece is all about making your dream come true and having friends to back you up.

you have to watch/read one piece more, to understand. in fact i prefer one piece over DBZ. you dont feel bad for luffy when he gets hurt you only want to cheer him on.

and you dont like how luffy looks :O hes adorable!! XDD the girls are pretty also :3

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#39 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

I've read One Piece, wasn't that into it, but I'm not so blindly biased enough to say it's bad because it's not however I for one did not find it addictive at all, and believe me I've read over 200 chapters. Now before you tell me that's not enough reading to decide, ask yourselves do a lot of other manga even reach 200 chapters? and more importantly did you yourselves as One Piece fans even NEED to read 200 chapters to thoroughly enjoy it? anyways I acknowledge One Piece as a phenomenon in the manga industry it's just not for me Naruto will always be my favorite from weekly shonen jump but thats just me and remember Naruto is a tremendous success too. laugh.gif On another note I'm not saying Luffy's ugly it's just "cute" isn't the word I would use for how he looks and I'm not really attracted to any of the female characters in One Piece, plus I don't find Nami's personality cute at all. Again only my opinion ( Shirahoshi is cute though I'll admit tongue.gif ) and even if I don't like One Piece don't let that prevent you from enjoying it remember One Piece is great I never denied it cool.gif

Edited by Phantom_999, 07 August 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#40 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (Kim @ Jul 12 2011, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Miss Soupy, that's the thing that bugs me the most. Female characters in Naruto are only worth anything if they're medics. Every team consists of two guys and one girl whose purpose is to heal and if she can't do that she's more or less worthless. Of course the captain of the team is male,

Wrong. Anko- team captain, not a medic, Temari- team captain, not a medic, Samui- team captain, not a medic, Karui, on a team with two females, one male, and not a medic, Terumi Mei- Mizukage and not a medic, Kurenai- team leader, not a medic, Mito Uzumaki- Hashirama wouldn't have won against Madara and the Kyuubi without her actions, not a medic, Kushina Uzumaki- taught Minato seal knowledge, faced down Madara and the Kyuubi immediately after childbirth, not a medic, Kurotsuchi- powerful enough she was chosen as one of Oonoki's bodyguards (as Temari was for Gaara) at the Kage summit, and not a medic
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users