THE ANNUAL OTAKON THREAD 8D

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:40 AM

#2 Angel

Angel

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Interests:Music, Books, Video Games, Magic the Gathering, eating healthy and exercising.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

Give me a PLane ticket from California to there and I will join smile.gif

#3 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE (StarlightAngel @ Jul 18 2007, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give me a PLane ticket from California to there and I will join smile.gif

I would in a heartbeat, Angel-love! th_glomp.gif

Start saving up from now, so that you can come next year! a_dance.gif

#4 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jul 18 2007, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, it's Wednesday night, and I'm here at my aunt's house in New York, gearing up and getting ready to head out to Baltimore early tomorrow morning, where Otakon 2007 will be held! a_dance.gif

There I plan to meet/hang/squee/glomp/fangirl/spazz out with Yoko, sharingank, alphabet, LoveHinaGuy, and TheBugNinja! a_spaz.gif

So expect tons of pics, commentary, and maybe even a video or two, as we all prepare to take Otakon...H&E style! biggrin.gif

And here's a little pic to help jump start the thread! wink.gif

Notice teh uber cool Naru-headband worn stylishly around the neck, and teh rockin' Naru-wristband worn proudly around the wrist...it's NaruShauna baby! a_spaz.gif

Waah, now I'm sad I'm not going to Otakon! But hey, look for my sister, she'll be there. She does time jump Gaara, kid Jiraiya, Blue hair, and time jump Hinata (hinata is easy for her, no wig necessary, she has long nearly black hair, and very pale skin). Her name is Melissa. She's plus sized like me, but not as busty, and a couple of inches taller. She's a well known cosplayer, and has a coplay photo website here:

http://www.icosplay.com/

That's her picture on the front page in a wig and green contacts- her real eye color is light brown.

Oh and she's not a narusaku shipper per say, but she likes the two of them together.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#5 Ani

Ani

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:07 AM

You guys are so lucky. I want to meet people from this site! :shamefulcry0js:

I so want to go, but yeah. No one would give me a ride and my parents probably wouldn't let me go. We should plan something for A-kon next summer. tongue.gif

Oh, and your pic is full of win, Shauna. th_glomp.gif

#6 joeguam047

joeguam047

isnt she cute? *smiles*

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:anime, naruto anime and manga, darkthrone, anime lyrics . com

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

man i wish i could go to an anime convention, but thats life and i must accept it as it is. but i might be able to go to japan and i'll see if i can get some cosplay items

#7 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

arg.gif Can't go :shamefulcry0js:

oh well, make sure you take plentiful of pictures! biggrin.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#8 kawarimi

kawarimi

Monster ga kuru

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

I'll be going to Otakon. This will be my first time going to a con, but I hear it's fun. happy.gif

I'm cosplaying as Misa from Death Note, by the way (and I'll be wearing a different outfit each day).

#9 SakuNaruLover

SakuNaruLover

Don't fear the darkness

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Gaming, reading manga, watching anime, playing games, reading fanfics, writing fanfics and my own stories, talking with my friends.<br /><br />Manga: <br />-naruto <br />-bleach<br />-clannad<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br /><br />Anime: <br />-naruto<br />-naruto shippuden<br />-bleach <br />-shakugan no shana<br />-shakugan no shana second<br />-clannad<br />-kanon<br />-air<br />-zero no tsukaima<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br />-code geass<br />-code geass r2<br />-gundam wing<br />-gundam 00<br />-melancholy of suzumiya haruhi<br />-hayate no gotoku

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

I can't go sad.gif

We should plan to go with each other next year
I am neither good nor evil, I am awake yet I dream

#10 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

AND I'M HERE! With Bugnin! XDDD

He's soooo uber cool...and cute to boot ^.~ ...don't keel meh Nikko-love! XD

Lol, anywhoos gonna go get our registrations, and I will post a few more pics up later! a_dance.gif

QUOTE (Ani @ Jul 18 2007, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, and your pic is full of win, Shauna. th_glomp.gif

Thanks Ani-chan! th_glomp.gif

QUOTE (kawarimi @ Jul 19 2007, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be going to Otakon. This will be my first time going to a con, but I hear it's fun. happy.gif

I'm cosplaying as Misa from Death Note, by the way (and I'll be wearing a different outfit each day).

Oh neat! Look out for us then, and we'll look out for you...and take pictures! a_spaz.gif

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jul 18 2007, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.icosplay.com/

Oh and she's not a narusaku shipper per say, but she likes the two of them together.

We'll keep an eye out for her! happy.gif

QUOTE (SakuNaruLover @ Jul 19 2007, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't go sad.gif

We should plan to go with each other next year

Oh definitely! That's the plan. We'll make this a yearly event! biggrin.gif

#11 Angel

Angel

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Interests:Music, Books, Video Games, Magic the Gathering, eating healthy and exercising.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

I hate you XDDD Ahh well, I cant save for it, Im saving up to go to Japan or China instead v.v

#12 jigglychu

jigglychu

is a MAN

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:05 AM

Looking smexy Shaunama! Hope you have fun.. too bad you couldn't visit me >.> XD
Jigs

#13 SirDragon13

SirDragon13

Science

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:This needed serious updates.

Snowboarding
    Traveling
    Skateboarding
    Anything science
    Food. Love me some tacos.

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:43 AM

Dude.

You guys are really lucky. I wish I could hav gone this year. Dang.
By next I will though, I'll be 18! lol

Have fun you guys smile.gif!
One Side:
And the Other

#14 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (jigglychu @ Jul 20 2007, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking smexy Shaunama! Hope you have fun.. too bad you couldn't visit me >.> XD

And wouldn't you know it...on my very first night here in Baltimore, I end up in the hospital with food poisoning =_=

#15 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jul 20 2007, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And wouldn't you know it...on my very first night here in Baltimore, I end up in the hospital with food poisoning =_=

O_O!!

Well, I hope you feel better like.. RIGHT NOW! I just cured your food poisoning son!

Enjoy Otakon.

#16 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Jul 20 2007, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
O_O!!

Well, I hope you feel better like.. RIGHT NOW! I just cured your food poisoning son!

Enjoy Otakon.

Lol XDD

Thanks Jo! tongue.gif

Well, I has a blast on this first day of Otakon! Hung with Yoko-love, LoveHinaGuy (Ish), and Buggy! WHOOT! a_spaz.gif

Didn't get to see sharingank, or alphabet today >.>
Though we all did get to speak with each other on the phone! happy.gif

With 25,000 people strong, it's incredibly hard to find people, but we all shall meet up with each other tomorrow! happy.gif

And I have sooooo many gooood pictures! @.@
But I'll post them up later! tongue.gif

I'm so freaking tired right now, and all I want to do now is to sleep, so that I can enjoy tomorrow as well happy.gif

Love ya all! Laterz! th_glomp.gif

#17 TheBugNinja

TheBugNinja

Sasuke's mortal enemy

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:anime, basketball, and writing.

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:48 AM

Back.... may as well begin Bugnin's Otakon 2007 report.

Thursday

Got up at 3:30am to start my odyssey. Managed to get to the airport and fly in to Baltimore without much trouble, Checked into the Sheraton at 9am, at which point I passed out till Sakura Blossoms met me in the lobby around 1:30. She was the first of eight roommates I expected over the weekend.
This being her first Otakon,

Sakura is easily one of the most engaging and unique people I've ever roomed with. I got along with her from the start.

....and then, disaster struck, and I was with Sakura in the ER for until 10:00

To summarize, Sakura got really sick after eating some bad food, and I dialed 911 to get her an Ambulance that sped at blazing speed from 4 blocks away and managed to get to us in just under a half hour. After 7 hours of witnessing their utter incompetence of the hospital staff and me getting kicked out of the ER somewhere in between for chewing out her doctors/nurses, I eventually went back to the hotel at 10pm.

I'll refrain from the specifics, and just fill in whatever blanks Sakura forgets in her version later on.

Thankfully, Sakura was feeling better and was back with us by friday morning.

Friday

Having missed our chance to pick up our badges friday, Sakura and I left the hotel around 8:15am to get in the pre-reg line and pick up our badges.

We were in here somewhere, only about a thousand people back. Otakon's done a much better job about processing their members quickly over the years...

Our first order of business was checking out the OC Remix panel, which is fast becoming a tradition. EVery year it grows in popularity. I can't think of a better way to start my Otakon weekend than with remixed video game music tracks.

We split the room up into sides. Our side won. Woot.

around noon I tried to make it to the Megaman panel, before seeing it completely full. Instead, I opted to hit the Naruto cosplay shoot upstairs.

This pic was so big, I actually had to take 3 shots to get it all in.

here's the pic, from left to right:

at 1PM, I decided to check out the dealer's room. As usual, I got some shots of my favorite booths:

ADV:

And Bandai, branching out into HD-DVD anime:

Funimation, promoting Fullmetal Alchemist for the 4th straight year...don't get me wrong they make a great booth, but come on guys, pick something new.

...and a shot of the dealer's room at large, or at least 1/5 of it..

While I was there, I picked up some stuff for Nikko, and we met up with LHG and Yoko, both of whom seemed like really nice people.

After the dealer's room, we ate some Blimpie subs, and went to the Otakon gaming room/parking garage, a seemingly endless row of video games. A truly unbelievable sight.

To my surprise, they had Gears of way on several 60-inch plasma screens. To My surprise, I went a perfect 5-0. But I didn't really come to Otakon to play video games, so I kept it brief, although it was really REALLY cool playing gear on such awesome screens and speakers.

Finally, we hit the fan parodies at 11pm to see the premier of "The Anime Zone," which oddly enough is an old-school type throwback. It used footage from only one kind of anime (Witch Hunter Robin), and yet it was an excellent parody. Instant classic.

We finally wrapped things up at 2am, raided a 7-11 for slurpees and got back to the room at 2:30.

In case you're keeping count, class: that's a 16 hour day, a new personal record for me. I owe most of my thanks to Redbull.

my 5 favorite cosplay pics of the day:

Sandaime, enjoying the afterlife:

...because I'm an old-school fan.

..did I time warp back to 1985?

...I also must give a shout out to three of my regular Otakon roomates/buddies, Peter, Zach and Chemo:

...now after a brief interlude, I'll get the other half of this journal rolling...

I'm not cynical- I'm right.

#18 TheBugNinja

TheBugNinja

Sasuke's mortal enemy

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:anime, basketball, and writing.

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:38 AM

Saturday:

after a whopping 5 hours of rest, we went back out and got to it at 10am in the dealer's room. I picked up volumes 1-12 of Death Note. Hope it's as good as all the acclaim it's been getting.

At 12PM, I visited the bleach shoot. I'm going to let Shauna post the pics from that, since I think she had a better angle, but I will say they were INCREDIBLE. Easily the best group cosplay shoot I've been to in years. A lot of fun.

Some of my favorites:

Can't say enough about this work of art:

Arrancar unite!

IMG]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x260/Bugnin_2007/Arrancar.jpg[/IMG]

Squad 2:

Squad 5:

Squad 8:

Squad 10:

..and finally, team Urahara:

At 4PM, we met up in the dealer's room with sharingank, another fun member of H&E. We also got in line for the masquerade at 5pm, and stayed there until the doors opened around 6pm.

The Masquerade at Otakon has taken a hit over the last few year, but it came back STRONG this time around. Quality skits all around. My favs:

-A beastie boys pardody rap, "No sleep till Otakon"

-A Link cosplayer playing a flute better than I've ever seen anybody play a flute...ever. 5,000+ in attendance, and she still played to thr crowd. Most impressive skit of the night.

- "Mushroom Luigi"

-"The resurrection of Zabuza"

-"Candy Mountain Advent Children"

Among the most popular pop culture references in this year's skit: 300, Candy Mountain, and Ace Wright.

after taking a quick break after the show to play some DDR and snack down, we finished the night at the fan parodies, with the two most popular classics of all time: "This is Otakudom," and Evangeltion: ReDeath"

I truly believe ReDeath is a work of art. You could show it to me 500 times and I'd still laugh every time.

We got back to our hotel at 1:30, ordered pizza at 1:45, and at 3:30am, it finally got there. yeesh.

My 5 favorite pics from Saturday:

I didn't ask how many rupees these were...

Someone's a little camera shy...

Best...Jiraiya...ever.

Amen, brother.

Sunday

I finally broomed all 9 people out of the room by 10am, myself included. It gave me an extra 4 hours to enjoy Otakon one last time.

I started out raiding the dealer's room for a Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya DVD, and I raided the art room for some more gifts.

at noon, I hit the fan parody summit panel, and I'm glad I did. Aside from learning a lot about the genre, I walked away with a free "This is Otakudom" DVD, courtesy of a rock-paper-scissors contest.

Looking back on Otakon 2007, it was a wild ride, and I'm glad I had my friends to come along with me. It was well worth the tiem and effort I put into arranging everything.

Sakura, it was great having you with us, and I look forward to you rooming with team Bugnin again in 08. You're a great con buddy. tongue.gif

My favorite pic from Sunday:

I tried to take a better pic, but every time my camera went off, he inched towards me, and I've already seen how that turns out...

I'm not cynical- I'm right.

#19 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

i saw BORAT! XDDD!!

Dude, that was soo cool! I wanna gooo! DX

#20 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:05 AM

a_dance.gif !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks like a suh-weet time yall had! XDDDD
The GREEN THING WITH THE LANTERN! 111193.gif

that thing always creeped me out...with it's kitchen knife. D:

OMG SHAUNAMA~~~! th_glomp.gif
For you, I hate beef! a_hug.gif

I hope you're better!

XDDDD
WHEEEE~~~ You're first Otakon!
I hope you had fun for me too! >=D a_spaz.gif

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
BUGBUG'S REPORT!

Bugbug = win! :thumbs: