• This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

#101 Kag19

Kag19

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:I have a degree in Film and TV and am working on obtaining a masters degree in screen writing. I spend most of my time reviewing scripts at work and at home. Yup, I'm the lucky person who gets to sort through all the submitted screenplays and ends up reading them and providing script coverage to the producers. I enjoy working in development but I hope one day to branch out and work in other areas of production. For example, post production, I love to edit films and I wouldn't mind working on set either. My ultimate goal is to one day become a producer/writer.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Jul 4 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YES!!! FMAB movie confirmed!!!

I think the story might be somewhat fanfiction-like with new enemies, new plot, new characters etc... if not, then that means it's probably somewhat a spin-off like the OVA's

I personally think the story is going to focus on Ling Yao. I hope the movie picks up a few years after the series ended. I would write the story like this:

In Resembool, Edward's a Dad and has settled down with Winry. He has given up his adventurous life-style. Alphonse has mastered alkahestry and is now teaching people in Amestris. Meanwhile, Emperor Ling Yao is having problems back at home. He needs an heir and the clans are beginning to fight again over 'Succession' . Ling fears a civil war. The person poisoning the clans with evil ideas is an Amestris Alchemist. He wants Xing to go to war with Amestris so he decides to cause conflict in the country. The story can focus on Ed having to travel to Xing to help keep the peace and finding out there might be a way for him to regain his alchemy skills but at a high cost. This way we can learn more about Xing and Xingese people.

I would love to see Winry and Ed travel together as a married couple. tongue.gif Ed would need Winry's help to travel through the hot desert with his auto mail.

BTW, I don't know if this is true or just a rumor, but wikipedia says a LIVE ACTION FMA film is in the works. Disney is producing and it is to be released in 2013. Jerry Bruckheimer is supposedly going to direct the film. What do you guys think about this?
Naruto Live action is here

#102 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Kag19 @ Jul 5 2010, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, I don't know if this is true or just a rumor, but wikipedia says a LIVE ACTION FMA film is in the works. Disney is producing and it is to be released in 2013. Jerry Bruckheimer is supposedly going to direct the film. What do you guys think about this?

Could work, as there are no Japanese pronunciations they can butcher. And I hear the new PoP movie wasn't half bad.

#103 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

also Bruckheimers a master of action movies and FMA is an action movie that would transate well into live acton.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#104 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:41 AM

Hope it's Bruckheimer, if it's Shyamalan it's doomed. But if they go Chirstopher Nolan or Peter Jackson the Homonculi would be AWESOME.

#105 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Besides, FMA isn't really something that would go badly if adapted for a US audience. Though, there's a slight chance they might change the setting from Alt!Germany to Alt!US? Have to avoid any possible "connection" to Nazis anyway.... headscratch.gif

#106 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:14 AM

I just finished Brotherhood recently, and I must say...
That even though it's a really close call, I prefer the original anime.
*proceeds to get food thrown at him*

The main reasons that the original anime is better than FMAB in my opinion:
1. Better dialogue in the original.
2. I felt the emotional impact way more in the original.

Don't get me wrong, Brotherhood was all kinds of awesome. I just sliiiightly prefer the original anime, whether FMAB was based off of the manga or not.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#107 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Oct 20 2011, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't get me wrong, Brotherhood was all kinds of awesome. I just sliiiightly prefer the original anime, whether FMAB was based off of the manga or not.

*Throws food* Blasphemy. It's whatever. We've had our discussion and I did feel the emotional aspect more in the original. I just didn't like the plot. It felt too contrived to me.

And LUST shamefulcry0js.gif WHY? argh1.png
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#108 Amy-chan

Amy-chan

Blonde Gamer

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Animals

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (TheOmegaMan @ Oct 21 2011, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Throws food* Blasphemy. It's whatever. We've had our discussion and I did feel the emotional aspect more in the original. I just didn't like the plot. It felt too contrived to me.

And LUST shamefulcry0js.gif WHY? argh1.png

Gluttony made me laugh all the time in the original FMA.

#109 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Oct 20 2011, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*prepares to throw food, stops, decides to eat food instead*

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I can see your reasoning. I thought the episodes prior to the plot diversion (I believe it was around the Greed vs. Wrath fight) were done a little better in the original. I don't know if Brotherhood was a perfect rendition of the manga (I've never read the manga), but I remember thinking the Nina Tucker plotline felt a little underwhelming in FMAB, at least compared the original anime. The filler episodes prior the diversion were done fairly well too, the animation stayed consistent with the canon episodes (unlike fillers in Naruto and Bleach), and the plotlines were almost always interesting. Plus I much preferred the soundtrack in the original, I felt it went a lot better with the vibe it was trying to produce.

After the plot diversion though, I thought FMAB was far more interesting. The whole homonculi origin in the first anime was too bizarre, and didn't really make sense to me. I mean, seriously, throughout of all of Amestrian history, there have only been seven cases of an alchemist trying to bring a person back to life? Not only is that number much smaller than I would imagine in a country/world of people with access to abilities like theirs, it seems insanely coincidental that it happens to be the same number of Deadly Sins in early/modern Christian tradition that the homonculi happen to be named after.
Also, I can wrap my mind around King Bradley being Pride instead of Wrath, since his character seems to be prone to both, and Izumi's son was angry enough to be that series' Wrath, but Trisha Elric as Sloth? Huh? What does Ed and Al's mom have to do with laziness? That was the most random thing, it seems incredibly obvious now that the first anime was making the plot up as it went. And the ending just made me mad. Really? Amestris is a parallel universe to ours? Ugh, keep the universe fictional, this isn't Chronicles of Narnia for crying out loud. I'd almost rather have a reset-type plot, with Ed an Al just waking up as kids with their bodies back. Almost. tongue.gif

In FMAB on the other hand, I loved the post-diversion plot-line. The new characters were interesting, the story flowed more naturally, and I was just all around more interested. Greed 2.0, Ling, Buccaneer, and Gen. Armstrong were some of my favorite characters, and I was dissappointed that the original anime didn't use any of them, but kept the lame Elric imposters till the end of the series. On top of that, the last 20 episodes of FMAB made me feel like I was watching a movie, and I remember being at the edge of my seat almost the whole time. I've never felt like that watching an anime before. The final fight was so much more epic in FMAB too, with almost every character jumping in to help defeat Father. It was a far cry from the original anime's climax, which sort of had a somber feel IMO, and with the final battle taking place underground with no one watching. I did enjoy the the Conqueror of Shamballa movie's fight, but it still wasn't as epic as Ed punching a guy through the chest. happy.gif
Also, no EdWin in the original anime! argh1.png

Anways, I did enjoy the original series, but I just liked Brotherhood a lot more. I guess I would probably give FMA an 8/10, while I'd give FMAB a 500/10. tongue.gif

Also, sort of a side note after this unreasonably long post, if anyone here likes/doesn't mind dubs, the English dub of Brotherhood finished its run a few months ago. I actually really liked that dub, characters speaking English seems more natural, given all the Western themes and motifs (though I suppose a German dub would be even more natural by that logic), and I liked most of the VA's they picked for that series. But I guess that's just my personal opinion.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 22 October 2011 - 02:33 AM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#110 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:14 AM

Just finished watching FMAB last night. IT WAS SOOOO AWESOME! Watched the English dub, love the va for Ed, Mustand and Winry. None of the rest really stood out. But Ed's voice was perfect. Exactly fit his character. I'd be afraid I'd be disappointed by the original Japanese va after this.

#111 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:roses are red, dark clouds are grey.... the rumour come out: does jumin han is gay?

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 22 2011, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anways, I did enjoy the original series, but I just liked Brotherhood a lot more. I guess I would probably give FMA an 8/10, while I'd give FMAB a 500/10. tongue.gif

That score for FMAB is unacceptable. It shouldn't be 500/10, it should be OVER 9000!!!!!! argh1.png /10. Oh wait, wrong series.

In all seriousness, though, I pretty much agree with everything you said. FMA was good, but FMAB is a hella heaps better. I will say, though, that the beginning did feel a little slow for some reason [all anime probably do anyways IMO tongue.gif]. Plus, the part with Cornello and Nina felt a little bit rushed. It played out evenly and beautifully in the manga, but then the animators decided to cram that up in episodes 3 and 4. Also, they missed out some stuff that happened in the manga, like the Lan Fan and Envy skirmish in Central, the train incident with Bald [funny how they included this in the original anime hm.png], and not to mention Ed's arm wrestle tournaments arg.gif

Although, I'm just gonna assume that they made up for that in the later [EPIK] eppies biggrin.gif I have yet to watch the final episode, but considering I've read the manga, I already know what's gonna happen laugh.gif

Oh yeah, and I was soooo happy they gave us EdWin phansurrvees pictureem0.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (tricksie @ Oct 22 2011, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just finished watching FMAB last night. IT WAS SOOOO AWESOME! Watched the English dub, love the va for Ed, Mustand and Winry. None of the rest really stood out. But Ed's voice was perfect. Exactly fit his character. I'd be afraid I'd be disappointed by the original Japanese va after this.

Why you be disappointed in Temari? shamefulcry0js.gif

And yeah, I have to admit that FMAB is one of the anime that I don't have a problem watching in dub. I still watch subs, but I'm tuning in every Sunday morning at 1:30am to watch the FMAB dub, along with Kurokittensuji on C31. Currently up to episode 17 in the dub.

JA2DBzd.png

#112 Jena

Jena

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 21 2011, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After the plot diversion though, I thought FMAB was far more interesting. The whole homonculi origin in the first anime was too bizarre, and didn't really make sense to me. I mean, seriously, throughout of all of Amestrian history, there have only been seven cases of an alchemist trying to bring a person back to life? Not only is that number much smaller than I would imagine in a country/world of people with access to abilities like theirs, it seems insanely coincidental that it happens to be the same number of Deadly Sins in early/modern Christian tradition that the homonculi happen to be named after.
Also, I can wrap my mind around King Bradley being Pride instead of Wrath, since his character seems to be prone to both, and Izumi's son was angry enough to be that series' Wrath, but Trisha Elric as Sloth? Huh? What does Ed and Al's mom have to do with laziness? That was the most random thing, it seems incredibly obvious now that the first anime was making the plot up as it went. And the ending just made me mad. Really? Amestris is a parallel universe to ours? Ugh, keep the universe fictional, this isn't Chronicles of Narnia for crying out loud. I'd almost rather have a reset-type plot, with Ed an Al just waking up as kids with their bodies back. Almost. tongue.gif

I agree completely.
The ending to the original anime was beyond random. I gobbled it up at the time because it was all I had (the manga back then was only about halfway through and the differences between the original anime and the manga were less obvious) but in retrospect it's pretty terrible. I still have Conqueror of Shamballa but I haven't watched it since the manga ended just because I don't know if I can emotionally handle it. The actual ending is just so much superior to original anime's ending IMHO.

Also, sort of a side note after this unreasonably long post, if anyone here likes/doesn't mind dubs, the English dub of Brotherhood finished its run a few months ago. I actually really liked that dub, characters speaking English seems more natural, given all the Western themes and motifs (though I suppose a German dub would be even more natural by that logic), and I liked most of the VA's they picked for that series. But I guess that's just my personal opinion.

I love the English dub. I like the Japanese dub as well, but I started out watching FMA on Cartoon Network so I kind of grew up with the English voices. And I think they did a good job.

The German dub, however.....uh....er...
Well, it's not terrible. Let me put it that way. It's tolerable.
Alphonse's VO is pretty terrible, though....

Edited by Jena, 22 October 2011 - 04:30 AM.

#113 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (Jena @ Oct 21 2011, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree completely.
The ending to the original anime was beyond random. I gobbled it up at the time because it was all I had (the manga back then was only about halfway through and the differences between the original anime and the manga were less obvious) but in retrospect it's pretty terrible. I still have Conqueror of Shamballa but I haven't watched it since the manga ended just because I don't know if I can emotionally handle it. The actual ending is just so much superior to original anime's ending IMHO.

Ha ha, yeah I was the same. It's funny though, because I remember thinking, while watching the first anime, that the plot started to feel a little odd around the time that Ed fought Greed. Then, after watching FMAB, I discovered that was around the same time that the plot diverged, so that was a nice coincidence. wink.gif
Though, in all fairness, it could have been because I was in middle/high school at the time, and was watching it on Cartoon Network, and there was a long hiatus before Greed met the Elrics in that version.

And the movie? I thought it was done pretty well, and the concept was interesting, but it was still bascially a continuation of that weird ending that annoyed me from the first anime. It was sort of cool how the events of the movie took place during an actual historical event (the Bier Hall Pusch), and I thought it did a great job of pointing out pre-WWII German opinion in the movie. I remember being awestruck at seeing 'Hughes' changing his tone 180 degrees when a Jewish man walked into the same room as him and Ed, and then listening to his speech on how they were supposedly destroying their country. I guess, at the time, I never considered the thought process of people from that part of history, and it was incredible how an anime movie could get me to start thinking about how that sort of opinion could have affected history in the way it did. Not I agree with that line of thinking by any means, but it's still thought-provoking to see fictional characters you've grown to like thrown into a historical context.

And the fight at the climax was pretty awesome too, but I didn't really understand, if the Germans had those insanely powerful war-planes they were using to conquer Amestris, why they couldn't just reproduce them in time for WWII. *shrug* Anyway, I'd watch it if you want to see your favorite characters in a new sort of situation, but it still wasn't as cool as the final fight with Father, IMO. happy.gif

I love the English dub. I like the Japanese dub as well, but I started out watching FMA on Cartoon Network so I kind of grew up with the English voices. And I think they did a good job.

The German dub, however.....uh....er...
Well, it's not terrible. Let me put it that way. It's tolerable.
Alphonse's VO is pretty terrible, though....

QUOTE (Kim @ Oct 22 2011, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The German dub could never be bad. wub.gif Although it's the only show I preferred watching in English because of Ed's voice actor.

Yeah, I'm so used to hearing Vic as Edward, listening to the original seiyu just doesn't feel the same. I really liked how Ling and Greed 2.0's voices were so different though, I thought it made his inner dialogues more interesting. I do get tired of hearing Troy Baker all the time though, his voice sounds the same in a lot of his roles to me. Though I guess he sounded a little bit different as Pein in Naruto Shippuden, but he's only spoken a few times in where the dub is currently at.
On a funny sidenote, Vic is supposedly voicing Nagato. I'm curious to see how that turns out.

Also, do you two speak German, or were you just curious to see what the dub was like? I watched some Spanish-dubbed Naruto while I was learning the language in college, but I was laughing too hard at Naruto's voice to get very far. I kept thinking he was a Hispanic soap opera star. tongue.gif

Edited by Boom...Winning, 22 October 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#114 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 21 2011, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*prepares to throw food, stops, decides to eat food instead*

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I can see your reasoning. I thought the episodes prior to the plot diversion (I believe it was around the Greed vs. Wrath fight) were done a little better in the original. I don't know if Brotherhood was a perfect rendition of the manga (I've never read the manga), but I remember thinking the Nina Tucker plotline felt a little underwhelming in FMAB, at least compared the original anime. The filler episodes prior the diversion were done fairly well too, the animation stayed consistent with the canon episodes (unlike fillers in Naruto and Bleach), and the plotlines were almost always interesting. Plus I much preferred the soundtrack in the original, I felt it went a lot better with the vibe it was trying to produce.

In FMAB on the other hand, I loved the post-diversion plot-line. The new characters were interesting, the story flowed more naturally, and I was just all around more interested. Greed 2.0, Ling, Buccaneer, and Gen. Armstrong were some of my favorite characters, and I was dissappointed that the original anime didn't use any of them, but kept the lame Elric imposters till the end of the series. On top of that, the last 20 episodes of FMAB made me feel like I was watching a movie, and I remember being at the edge of my seat almost the whole time. I've never felt like that watching an anime before. The final fight was so much more epic in FMAB too, with almost every character jumping in to help defeat Father. It was a far cry from the original anime's climax, which sort of had a somber feel IMO, and with the final battle taking place underground with no one watching. I did enjoy the the Conqueror of Shamballa movie's fight, but it still wasn't as epic as Ed punching a guy through the chest. happy.gif
Also, no EdWin in the original anime! argh1.png

I actually prefer the original's version of the plot diversion more myself. How the homunculi were made in the original added more of a sense of "we did this to ourselves, brought upon our own destruction", and I really dug that. I also loved the ending; I thought it was interesting, especially the movie. I've watched that movie quite a few times and love what they did with it and how it was handled (except for the totally random gypsy singing part).

I can agree with the "feeling like watching a movie" part of that, but that's actually kinda what turned me away from FMAB. It went from being potentially very emotional and engaging to being a Michael Bay version of FMA pretty much. Plus, the final fight with Father didn't really have me on edge for some reason.

From what I see, FMAB is way more about the action while FMA focuses on the emotional aspects of things much better. The fights weren't too special in FMA, I agree, but what's there in place of fights makes me love the series just a bit more than FMAB. Plus, I didn't mind the no EdxWin thing really. It ended in a good way regardless.

Seriously? 8/10 compared to 500/10? I think you're giving FMAB just a bit too much credit there laugh.gif

I also enjoyed the English dubs of both FMA anime. Although, I don't know how similar the dialogue in FMAB English dub is to the Japanese dub, but if they're pretty similar...then FMAB has disappointed me again. The dialogue really got on my nerves at some points sweat.gif Felt generic and cliche at certain times really, while I never really felt that in the original FMA. That's just me, though.

Plus, the ending of FMAB kinda ticked me off on certain things. No recognition of Hohenheim's death from Ed or Al? No burial shown for Fu? Hell, barely any Xing mentioned at all at the end? Plus, the AlxMei thing seemed to come out of nowhere for me. Just felt crammed in there.

Edit: Wow, am I really the only person who thought that the combining of our two worlds in the original FMA was awesome?

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 22 October 2011 - 05:21 PM.

AboojTi.gif

#115 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,987 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Oct 22 2011, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually prefer the original's version of the plot diversion more myself. How the homunculi were made in the original added more of a sense of "we did this to ourselves, brought upon our own destruction", and I really dug that. I also loved the ending; I thought it was interesting, especially the movie. I've watched that movie quite a few times and love what they did with it and how it was handled (except for the totally random gypsy singing part).

I can agree with the "feeling like watching a movie" part of that, but that's actually kinda what turned me away from FMAB. It went from being potentially very emotional and engaging to being a Michael Bay version of FMA pretty much. Plus, the final fight with Father didn't really have me on edge for some reason.

From what I see, FMAB is way more about the action while FMA focuses on the emotional aspects of things much better. The fights weren't too special in FMA, I agree, but what's there in place of fights makes me love the series just a bit more than FMAB. Plus, I didn't mind the no EdxWin thing really. It ended in a good way regardless.

Seriously? 8/10 compared to 500/10? I think you're giving FMAB just a bit too much credit there laugh.gif

I also enjoyed the English dubs of both FMA anime. Although, I don't know how similar the dialogue in FMAB English dub is to the Japanese dub, but if they're pretty similar...then FMAB has disappointed me again. The dialogue really got on my nerves at some points sweat.gif Felt generic and cliche at certain times really, while I never really felt that in the original FMA. That's just me, though.

Plus, the ending of FMAB kinda ticked me off on certain things. No recognition of Hohenheim's death from Ed or Al? No burial shown for Fu? Hell, barely any Xing mentioned at all at the end? Plus, the AlxMei thing seemed to come out of nowhere for me. Just felt crammed in there.

Edit: Wow, am I really the only person who thought that the combining of our two worlds in the original FMA was awesome?

I liked FMAB Better It's MUCH Darker in nature to me and the plot didn't looked BSed. You just ENJOY see the EVIL and pessimism in Humanity rolleyes.gif HOWEVER I admit BOTH are My all time favorites laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by Phantom_999, 22 October 2011 - 09:00 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#116 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Oct 22 2011, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually prefer the original's version of the plot diversion more myself. How the homunculi were made in the original added more of a sense of "we did this to ourselves, brought upon our own destruction", and I really dug that.
Huh? You mean that the homonculi 'brought about their own destruction', or the alchemists who made them? I suppose I could see the latter, but the homonculi backstory still felt kind of shoe-horned in there to me. Especially with the big plot hole I mentioned earlier, it just makes infinitely more sense to me for the homonculi to come from the same source, as opposed to having alchemists coincidentally failing to bring loved ones back only seven times.
And also, I mentioned it earlier, but Trisha = Sloth? What the heck?

I was about to argue this, but then I remembered the King Bradley vs. A tank fight. So I'll concede that point. tongue.gif
But I certainly didn't mind it. I generally read shounen stories for action anyway. The first one had some great dialogue, but I got tired of seeing Ed act so emo for so long. I missed his usual cheery self. It's almost like the animators decided to take the characters and force their own worldview onto them, as well as the overall story, without considering how Arakawa had drawn them up to that point. Plus the way Hohenheim described our world at the end of the series made me feel like I was watching an anti-war documentary. Which failed IMO, considering that deaths in our world let alchemists fight bad guys in theirs. And seriously, how the heck did Hohenheim know about the Hiroshima/Nagasaki attacks? Wasn't it still WWI when they got zapped over here? Wow, that didn't seem contrived at all.

The real score was 497, but I rounded up. I've spent many nights crunching the numbers on this.

Yeah, there were some things that I wish were resolved, but too much falling action in a story does more harm than good, IMO. Hohenheim was acknowleged by Ed (calling him dad) and Fu and Buccaneer's sacrifices were acknowledged by their comrades, so anything more would just drag out the plot, or just give the ending an emo vibe. I prefer to see how things are moving forward, anything else can be safely implied by the reader/viewer.

Also, was the implication in the end that Al and May got together? There was sort of an age difference, but I can't deny that I sort of side-shipped them. It was cute how she went crazy whenever he was around, and how she got jealous that one time he was hiding Winry inside of himself. May wasn't a main character, but the story had two main heroes and only one love interest, so one of them was destined to end up with either no one or supporting character. And I prefer the latter. tongue.gif

Meh, I've never been a big fan of the whole 'portal' style of high fantasy fiction, where the fantasy world is somehow connected to our world. It can be done well, (I wasn't a big fan of the Narnia series, but I acknowledge that it was well-written) but the way FMA did it just seemed way too random to me. Plus, the revelation that wars caused in our world allow alchemists to use their magic in theirs felt so shoe-horned it wasn't even funny.

Anyways, I should probably put a disclaimer at the end of this that I'm not trying to get on your case or anything. If I sound rude, it's probably because I'm pretty tactless in these sort of discussions. sweatdrop.gif

Edited by Boom...Winning, 22 October 2011 - 10:10 PM.

#117 Jena

Jena

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 22 2011, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, do you two speak German, or were you just curious to see what the dub was like? I watched some Spanish-dubbed Naruto while I was learning the language in college, but I was laughing too hard at Naruto's voice to get very far. I kept thinking he was a Hispanic soap opera star. tongue.gif

I don't know about Kim, but I do.
English is my first language, German is my second.
The German dub for FMA is fine. Just...tbh...I don't usually like German dubs of anime. The voices are usually weird (or there will be one really good VO and everyone else is just sort of meh). Not that 80% of English dubs are much better...

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 22 2011, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, was the implication in the end that Al and May got together? There was sort of an age difference, but I can't deny that I sort of side-shipped them. It was cute how she went crazy whenever he was around, and how she got jealous that one time he was hiding Winry inside of himself. May wasn't a main character, but the story had two main heroes and only one love interest, so one of them was destined to end up with either no one or supporting character. And I prefer the latter. tongue.gif

I thought there was. It's been a while since I last saw/read the ending, but during the montage of photos isn't there one of Ed and Winry standing next to each other and Alphonse and May standing beside them? I'm remembering that but I'm too lazy ATM to check.

Edited by Jena, 22 October 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#118 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Oct 21 2011, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agreed but I enjoyed Lust's VA (Laura Bailey) she's married to Travis Willinghan which by a coincidence he's Mustang's VA.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#119 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Oct 22 2011, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked FMAB Better It's MUCH Darker in nature to me and the plot didn't looked BSed. You just ENJOY see the EVIL and pessimism in Humanity rolleyes.gif HOWEVER I admit BOTH are My all time favorites laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

For the thousandth time, I like seeing realism. The ending of the original gave me a sense of truth: Mustang wanted to become fuhrer, but he ended up sacrificing his dream in order to do what was right, eventually losing an eye but doing the damn right thing. Ed gave up what may have been his life in order to bring Al back, ending up in a place that he might have considered an equivalent of hell just to get that small chance that Al might be reborn. Ed and Al wanted to get their bodies back, but they ended up sacrificing that dream in order to do what was right.
I don't enjoy seeing the evil and pessimism in humanity; I enjoy feeling sympathy and concern for characters while watching them grow, realizing that what they have wanted for so long may not be the best thing to do. FMAB does get this across, but to me, FMA gets it across much more effectively.

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 22 2011, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huh? You mean that the homonculi 'brought about their own destruction', or the alchemists who made them? I suppose I could see the latter, but the homonculi backstory still felt kind of shoe-horned in there to me. Especially with the big plot hole I mentioned earlier, it just makes infinitely more sense to me for the homonculi to come from the same source, as opposed to having alchemists coincidentally failing to bring loved ones back only seven times.
And also, I mentioned it earlier, but Trisha = Sloth? What the heck?

I was about to argue this, but then I remembered the King Bradley vs. A tank fight. So I'll concede that point. tongue.gif
But I certainly didn't mind it. I generally read shounen stories for action anyway. The first one had some great dialogue, but I got tired of seeing Ed act so emo for so long. I missed his usual cheery self. It's almost like the animators decided to take the characters and force their own worldview onto them, as well as the overall story, without considering how Arakawa had drawn them up to that point. Plus the way Hohenheim described our world at the end of the series made me feel like I was watching an anti-war documentary. Which failed IMO, considering that deaths in our world let alchemists fight bad guys in theirs. And seriously, how the heck did Hohenheim know about the Hiroshima/Nagasaki attacks? Wasn't it still WWI when they got zapped over here? Wow, that didn't seem contrived at all.

The real score was 497, but I rounded up. I've spent many nights crunching the numbers on this.

Yeah, there were some things that I wish were resolved, but too much falling action in a story does more harm than good, IMO. Hohenheim was acknowleged by Ed (calling him dad) and Fu and Buccaneer's sacrifices were acknowledged by their comrades, so anything more would just drag out the plot, or just give the ending an emo vibe. I prefer to see how things are moving forward, anything else can be safely implied by the reader/viewer.

Meh, I've never been a big fan of the whole 'portal' style of high fantasy fiction, where the fantasy world is somehow connected to our world. It can be done well, (I wasn't a big fan of the Narnia series, but I acknowledge that it was well-written) but the way FMA did it just seemed way too random to me. Plus, the revelation that wars caused in our world allow alchemists to use their magic in theirs felt so shoe-horned it wasn't even funny.

Anyways, I should probably put a disclaimer at the end of this that I'm not trying to get on your case or anything. If I sound rude, it's probably because I'm pretty tactless in these sort of discussions. sweatdrop.gif

I was referring to the alchemists who made them bringing about their own destruction. I understand the plot-hole, by the way. Good point on that laugh.gif

Hohenheim knew about the Hiroshima/Nagasaki attacks? huh.gif When was that established? I must have missed something.

I see what you did thar.

I'm not saying to have a whole scene with their funerals or anything, I just mean a brief glimpse at least. Just a shot of Fu's burial that lasts a few seconds would have been sufficient for him, for example.

And yes, it was implied that they got together. As for the rest of your paragraph on that, that's completely your opinion, so I can't really argue with that.

I thought it was done well personally. There's a gate, yes? That has been referred to for the whole series? There must be another side of the gate, then, and it just happened to be our world. The other thing about wars in our world allowing alchemists to use their alchemy in theirs didn't feel shoe-horned to me *shrugs* You could then say that almost every revelation in every series ever made is "shoe-horned" in.

Don't worry, I know you mean no harm laugh.gif Just a friendly discussion/debate is all that this is.

AboojTi.gif

#120 Jena

Jena

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (Kim @ Oct 23 2011, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the German dub of Naruto is good. At least the person who voices Naruto is a guy, unlike every other dub out there.

True that sleep.gif
Sakura and Kakashi are pretty good in the German dub too, but I don't really like Sasuke's voice. argh1.png
The first opening is unforgivable, though. It's one of the worst things ever created.

(I like Naruto's Japanese VO too.)

/off-topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users