I'm the Greatest Ever!!

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Drawing
    Animating
    Watching TV

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:32 AM

Good lord when will the madness end!!!!?

sad_naruto_sig_by_mangafreak17-d81c8fy.p

Even if I'm not the one to make you happy

#82 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ May 2 2011, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apparently, according to this site there was a second security breach.

http://massively.joy...ernet-security/

*jaw drops* Are you kittening kidding me! Wtf, Sony and all the people who had their credit card info stolen are so screwed now.

#83 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:27 AM

Truly bad news indeed.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#84 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:41 AM

It's a different security breach. This isn't a second breach of PSN. It's actually Sony Online Entertainment. Which means this second breach has targeted the Sony branch that handles... MMORPG's. Said hackers then started acquiring credit card numbers.

Hackers, ladies and gentlemen; looking out for you at all times!

Edited by dl316bh, 03 May 2011 - 03:44 AM.

bd5.jpg

#85 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

Sony has finally released further information on this breach, which turns out to actually be the first breach that happened ahead of the 77 million users one:

http://blog.games.ya...accounts-hacked

#86 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:08 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn...887823#42887823

#87 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:09 AM

Hopefully its up by the time Brink is out, which is May 10th. Otherwise, I will be angry.

#88 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ May 4 2011, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully its up by the time Brink is out, which is May 10th. Otherwise, I will be angry.

I know Patrick! >:O I'mma get pissy!

#89 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

I gotta feelin Sony won't offer free online service on their next-gen console.

#90 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (Dreamer @ May 4 2011, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I gotta feelin Sony won't offer free online service on their next-gen console.

If they were smart, they would. It gives them a huge advantage over Microsoft. But why be worried now? Next gen consoles aren't for another few years, and by then, even if it isn't free... I can afford it.

#91 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ May 3 2011, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they were smart, they would. It gives them a huge advantage over Microsoft. But why be worried now? Next gen consoles aren't for another few years, and by then, even if it isn't free... I can afford it.

I'm worried their will be many more attacks in the future keeping the network down and a payed service helps privatise the servers decreasing the chance of an attack.

Edited by Dreamer, 04 May 2011 - 04:50 AM.

#92 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE (Dreamer @ May 3 2011, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm worried their will be many more attacks in the future keeping the network down and a payed service helps privatise the servers decreasing the chance of an attack.

Sony you've forced me to do this. Not really, I just thought it was funny.

Edited by Insurrection, 04 May 2011 - 05:48 AM.

#93 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (Dreamer @ May 4 2011, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're not paying any money for any extra security with Microsoft. You're paying because they're greedy. They offer the same basic services, only they charge the price of a new game per year. Besides which, it's not the online multiplayer part that's taken a shot here; it's information generally associated with the store, like download histories and the like, that these people were apparently after. I'd imagine the same thing could happen to Microsoft; they have an online store as well that is similar to PSN.

Next gen consoles aren't for another few years, and by then, even if it isn't free... I can afford it.

If Sony tried charging for online play next generation, I would flip ****. I refuse to pay for something that should be free. I already pay my damn internet bill; I shouldn't have to pay another sixty dollars just to use a function of it with a console. Hell, I generally refuse to; I've had an X-Box 360 for years and the only time I ever played online was when I had free trials. Sixty dollars is a new retail game or six ten dollar downloadable games, or six to four DLC packs. It's a waste of money to hand over just a little bit more money to a corporation like Msoft.
bd5.jpg

#94 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ May 4 2011, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, indeed.

#95 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ May 3 2011, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sony you've forced me to do this. Not really, I just thought it was funny.

lol, sometimes you need a patch to fix another patch. (maybe you'll get this one)

QUOTE (dl316bh @ May 3 2011, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're not paying any money for any extra security with Microsoft. You're paying because they're greedy. They offer the same basic services, only they charge the price of a new game per year. Besides which, it's not the online multiplayer part that's taken a shot here; it's information generally associated with the store, like download histories and the like, that these people were apparently after. I'd imagine the same thing could happen to Microsoft; they have an online store as well that is similar to PSN.

If Sony tried charging for online play next generation, I would flip ****. I refuse to pay for something that should be free. I already pay my damn internet bill; I shouldn't have to pay another sixty dollars just to use a function of it with a console. Hell, I generally refuse to; I've had an X-Box 360 for years and the only time I ever played online was when I had free trials. Sixty dollars is a new retail game or six ten dollar downloadable games, or six to four DLC packs. It's a waste of money to hand over just a little bit more money to a corporation like Msoft.

I understand where your coming from since i like it free too, it's just the on going attacks Sony has received led me to believe their free service may be linked to a weaker security. But your right Microsoft can be attacked at any time. Will they be prepared for it? Who knows, but they've done an okay job so far in keeping Xbox Live safe.

Edited by Dreamer, 04 May 2011 - 11:37 AM.

#96 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

Update says it was Anonymous.

#97 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (ShippudenGirl @ May 4 2011, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Update says it was Anonymous.

Yeah, though it seems too easy for it to be true.

Here's the link: http://www.1up.com/n...lame-psn-attack
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#98 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:10 PM

No security is ever safe, Dreamer. Even if they had it for a paid service, it'd still be hackable. Like Microsoft in 2007.

You think the FBI or CIA security is really that secure? No.

#99 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

Not totally ruling out Anonymous, but if it WAS them, wouldn't they be proclaiming it to the world?

#100 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ May 4 2011, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not totally ruling out Anonymous, but if it WAS them, wouldn't they be proclaiming it to the world?

Here's the problem with that, though; even people who associate with Anonymous will tell you they're basically a bunch of jackals with no structure. Some are hacktivists, some are script kiddies and by the very nature of the whole thing it's impossible to truly know what everyone who associates with the group is doing at a given time. Think the head not knowing what the ass is doing.

I believe the hacktivists who originally targeted Sony when they say that they weren't responsible; usually a group in Anonymous is ready to accept credit for what they do, especially if the action was done to further an agenda. However, that doesn't mean a group from outside that circle didn't do it. Anonymous raids are pretty much whatever several people in IRC agree upon at a given time, from what I've heard. They may not have planned to go that far, but others in Anonymous may have had other ideas.

There's really no way to know.

Hell, this being a highly sophisticated cyber-crime, it's even possible that whoever did this struck when they did to use Anonymous as a cover, considering the groups very public declaration of planning to screw with Sony. Leaving Anonymous to take the blame; Anonymous is not well liked, so given the timing they make perfect scapegoats. It's a sound strategy, at the least.

Another thing; a friend who knows more than a bit about Anonymous - and believes this may even be a setup for them to take the fall - says this is unusual for them. They parse out a lot of bravado, but according to him they're not stupid; they stick with DDoS attacks and such because they know if they went any further than that online the CIA and the like would be on them.

So really, right now we just have no clue.

Edited by dl316bh, 05 May 2011 - 12:36 AM.

bd5.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users