154 replies to this topic

#81 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

Japan hasn't gotten the release of the film. I do wonder if it will roar extremely loud or the biasness will get to them. I hope it's the former.

#82 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

Saw it yesterday. Wasn't that impressed with it. As far as movies go, I guess it was okay, but I liked the last one they made a LOT better.

#83 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

Saw it yesterday. Wasn't that impressed with it. As far as movies go, I guess it was okay, but I liked the last one they made a LOT better.

Could you elaborate as to why? Just curious.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#84 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

I've seen it while on a trip. It was a good movie. My only problems are 1. Godzilla wasn't featured enough and 2. The main hero was quite a boring character and he had no knowledge regarding those monsters. Basically, his character was just to serve as an observer. His father or that Japanese Scientist should have been the main character since those two are basically the only ones with enough knowledge to counter the monster.
268702-181926-kaworu-nagisa.jpg

#85 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

I don't really see why people are complaining about Godzilla's screentime....he's had more screentime in this movie then he does in most of his other movies.

Godzilla's the title monster but its never about Godzilla its about the human characters who have to survive whatever catastrophe a new Kaiju is causing.

eh10ut.jpg

#86 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

I don't really see why people are complaining about Godzilla's screentime....he's had more screentime in this movie then he does in most of his other movies.

Godzilla's the title monster but its never about Godzilla its about the human characters who have to survive whatever catastrophe a new Kaiju is causing.

As I said in my other post, I didn't just have a problem with the lack of Godzilla's screentime, I also had an issue as to how he was handled in the plot. Godzilla isn't the monster in the focal point, the MUTOs are. I would have liked Godzilla to be the main monster to kick things off instead of just being a reactionary force of nature that just shows up.

I also understand that it is about the human characters, but I didn't feel much for the human characters in this. Aaron Taylor Johnson just didn't deliver much here. Maybe if there had been a more charismatic actor, (maybe someone like how Will Smith was when he was younger), it might have been better.

I also think that the plot of the human characters should have been reworked. Perhaps have Ford stay with the lead scientist and the general character, make them work together, have more interaction and in that way bring a bit more humanity to the story.

Another thing they could have done

Another thing missing from the human element of the movie was lightheartedness or humor. I get that it's a serious situation and there's plenty of things going wrong, but the occasional quip here and there could help break the tension and make the characters feel more real. The recent Captain America film is a great example of how to do it well.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#87 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

Could you elaborate as to why? Just curious.

Well, for one...compare this Godzilla to the 1998 Godzilla

This is all just my personal opinion, but 1998, to me, made a much better movie. It made more sense to me. A giant pregnant lizard looking for a place to lay eggs and start a new generation of its species. Godzilla was also much, much, MUCH more intimidating than this one in pretty much every way. He looked more like an actual overgrown lizard. Not a fat chubby over grown children's hugging toy.

I'm not saying 2014 is bad. It was entertaining, but that's all I can really say about it. They hardly focused on Godzilla, and a lot of the things going on in the movie didn't really make any sense to me. The main character was...well...kind of boring, and I don't think he really should have been the main character. His dad or the Japanese doctor would have been a better choice considering they knew a lot more about these creatures than anybody else. 

Again, it's all just a matter of opinion. I strongly urge people to make up their own decisions and not go by what a review on the movie says. Also, I'd recommend finding a 1998 film and watch that, THEN compare the two movies.  

Edited by Night Hawk, 20 May 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#88 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

1998 isn't bad but should not use the name of Godzilla. It's somewhat the same with latest Robocop. Some thought it was good, but shouldn't use the name. Not sure how much it distant, but still.

#89 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

1998 is about as far from the Godzilla mythology as one could possibly get. they literally did everything wrong.

Godzilla isn't supposed to be lean and swift like a large velociraptor he's supposed to be bulky and musclebound like a tank that's how he's always been. Zilla was taken out by a few jets. He's not supposed to be a lizard he's supposed to be a mutated dinosaur not a Marine Iguana. Literally the only thing they managed to do right was the intelligence and the animated series that followed.

I'm sorry but 1998 film should not have been marketed as Godzilla, it was an insult to the franchise.

eh10ut.jpg

#90 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

Well, I dunno what to tell you. This is the Godzilla I grew up with. So...

#91 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Toho was so ashamed of '98 "Godzilla" that when they re-acquired the franchise, they ripped off the "God" part in the monster's name and called it Zilla.

Anyway, my only real issue with the movie is that they under-utilized Watanabe and Cranston, but that's about it.

Japan hasn't gotten the release of the film. I do wonder if it will roar extremely loud or the biasness will get to them. I hope it's the former.

TOHO executives got to watch it before anyone and some reports said they loved it, others say it made them cry due to how good it was. So, there we go.

I think my biggest issue is the lack of Godzilla in the movie, but not just in terms of screen time. I understand the teasing part and I see many comparisons with Jaws. But with Jaws, the shark was the main problem, the shark is what everyone was reacting to. The shark was the focus. In Godzilla, the focal point really isn't on Godzilla, it's on the MUTOs. Godzilla doesn't initiate the plot, he and all of the other characters are simply reacting to the MUTOs, the MUTOs are actually the center of what kicks off the plot.

To be honest, Godzilla only tends to be the focal point when HE'S the only kaiju in the movie. Whenever he fights other monsters (at least in the Heisei versions), most of Godzilla footage usually ends up with him marching on towards the other monster to fight it.  There's the occasional Godzilla takes on the JSDF or whatever G-group they have in the movie.  The only difference here is that they show pieces of him instead of a whole, upright body for most of his scenes.

Also, this is probably one of the nicest Godzillas ever.... Most Godzillas would've plowed right through the Navy, the Golden Gate Bridge and just stomped all over the buildings trying to get through the MUTOs.  Not to mention the oldest, he had that grumpy, weary, "Too old for this kitten" John McClane body language at times.

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 20 May 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#92 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

That's good to know.

I remember how much they have to attack 1998 Godzilla with one movie talking about Godzilla in class and they said that Americans got it wrong (lol) and then in final wars, it got one shotted. Literally.

#93 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

To be honest, Godzilla only tends to be the focal point when HE'S the only kaiju in the movie. Whenever he fights other monsters (at least in the Heisei versions), most of Godzilla footage usually ends up with him marching on towards the other monster to fight it.  There's the occasional Godzilla takes on the JSDF or whatever G-group they have in the movie.  The only difference here is that they show pieces of him instead of a whole, upright body for most of his scenes.

Well are we considering this a sequel to the series or a reboot? If it was a true reboot, I would want Godzilla to be the focal point, introduce us to what Godzilla is all about. Do it in a way that is interesting and fresh. 

Anyways, since there is a sequel coming up, what does everyone want to see from it? I'm thinking one of the classic monsters will show up. Hopefully Jet Jaguar will be there too.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#94 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

Well are we considering this a sequel to the series or a reboot? If it was a true reboot, I would want Godzilla to be the focal point, introduce us to what Godzilla is all about. Do it in a way that is interesting and fresh. 

Anyways, since there is a sequel coming up, what does everyone want to see from it? I'm thinking one of the classic monsters will show up. Hopefully Jet Jaguar will be there too.

That's precisely what they did in this movie. This movie follows the general formula of all the enjoyable Godzilla movies. Life is good, then a monster shows up and starts causing problems, the military tries to think of a plan to get rid of it while Godzilla goes to investigate the monster out of curiosity, a fight ensues, the monster escapes and later in the climax Godzilla goes out of his way to hunt the monster down because it pissed him off and he has a tendency to hold grudges.

eh10ut.jpg

#95 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:17 AM

Godzilla is the translation of Gojira, there really wasn't a scene needed for that transition to take place. You can just assume the English name stuck.

It technically isn't the translation of Gojira. It's just what English audiences know him as. It's not a English pronunciation vs Japanese pronunciation like the name 'Guy' in french being pronounced "gee". Here's my issue with the English name just sticking. It'd be like if someone was named Michael, and suddenly being called Micah with no explanation.

The female needed the male to reproduce there's was no statement saying she didn't need him we also don't know much about these creatures or how they're habitats work, there are some species of insects and lizard where the females are asexual and the males are...well...just along for the ride

There was no statement saying he wasn't needed. But he definitely didn't fertilize the eggs because as soon as he met the female, he gave her a nuke and then flew off to fight Godzilla. So the asexual thing makes sense, but then again, if all she needed was nukes to have the babies, why didn't she just stay in Nevada and have them feast on the nuclear waste that was readily and abundantly present? Why did she need to go to the male? For protection while giving birth is my best guess... How intelligent are these creatures then?

The armed forces didn't have time to evacuate, the minute it was announced Godzilla was on his way he was literally stompin around shores.

Yeah, but they definitely had a bunch of projected landing zones for Godzilla and the creatures. San Francisco being the most prominently shown on their map. Also, their plan was to lure all three monsters to the designated area of San Francisco with the nukes so they already knew the creatures would be there... so again. No logic there. Evacuation could've definitely happened prior. I don't buy it. It was simply lazy writing. I would've bought it a little bit more for the reason you gave, had they not lured the creatures to San Francisco. They even say in the movie that they would use the bomb as bait and then kill them with the blast. If the monsters landed before they come up with the plan, I'd let it pass. I'm not extreme pro-military, but I feel that they're not that lazy with the details, especially when it comes to civilian lives.

Godzilla isn't fat, all of that is muscle and bulk and that's how he's always looked....his design was based closely on the Heisei Godzilla which is the definitive Godzilla

The fattest version of Godzilla from the Heisei series is Desu-goji

vlcsnap-2013-09-20-17h14m54s142.png

2014-Goji

towercard-488543aa-bf2d-412b-a28c-2d81e0

The train was automatic

The train might be automatic, but there's still a conductor of some sort on them, with manual override capabilities in case a track is off or a bridge is down.

Godzilla rose up from the depths right in front of him, Serizawa likely saw the waves rising and thought he was far away, he also wanted to take close look at Godzilla since nobody has seen him in 60 years

He panned across all three dorsal fins. If this was true, at the sight of the first one, he'd have stopped looking and braced himself.

There was no indication that the Muto was eating before people saw it after all as soon as they spot it we see it digging in so its actually very likely that they just caught his hand in the cookie jar.

I'm guessing the slime that covered the sub was saliva, which indicates there was an attempt to eat, not to mention the planes flying around the sub lighting things up.

It only had a budget of $160 million, so it's likely it will be even on its budget since it's already passed $90 million. The question is will it make double that amount. Movie studios usually like to see nearly double the budget, since some expenses, like advertising, aren't included in the original budget.

I forgot to check international markets. The movie is already at about $200 mill worldwide, so they're in the black.

If the movie is successful it's likely that they will keep Edwards on board, same way they did with Nolan and Batman, Raimi with Spider-Man, etc. Apparently, Edwards would use the same restraint with showing the monster if he did make a sequel.

I hope he doesn't go as restrained. I feel they did the teasing thing, and that it worked in this film because it was a re-introduction. I don't think it would go over as well a second time.

In you're other post you mention that there's no point to the human characters. There actually is a point. The reason for the characters is just simply to have a character you know placed in a situation. For example, probably the only reason the main character had a son was to have that son be put on a bus on the Golden Gate Bridge. Why did he not tell his wife to get out of the city as soon as possible? So she would be there when Godzilla showed up.

Anyways. I thought the movie was alright. If found the human elements to be really lacking. Aaron Taylor-Johnson just didn't have much energy in his performance which led to his character being a bit dull. I enjoyed the monster battles, the special effects were fantastic and very detailed. Plus I loved the atomic breath.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you're genuinely saying these are good uses of the characters. These are not people then. They're plot points. Lazy writing. 

If you're not being sarcastic, you're right: there is a point to the characters, I should restate my stance. I think it's done too quickly and not effectively enough. It's odd, in a movie that focuses just as much on the people, if not a bit more, than the monsters, it feels like we're simply given quick blips and told to move on. We're not allowed to share in the moment with the characters and actually invest in them we're told to invest in them. We're shown things from a distance and told to care. Like Ford's scene with his family at the beginning. The lines of actually dialogue, to actually even know them is not there. It's, 'hey, there's this family. See how they look like a family? Like them! Move on.'

They definitely feel like plot points. Example: Ford should've told his family to get the heck out of dodge, even without him there yet. I just doesn't make sense that a man who's main goal is his family's safety, would let them stay in harm's way until he got there first. But for the sake of plot and having some level of tension (having his son on the bridge// having his wife be in the city during the attack) there is this leap of logic. 

I think my biggest issue is the lack of Godzilla in the movie, but not just in terms of screen time. I understand the teasing part and I see many comparisons with Jaws. But with Jaws, the shark was the main problem, the shark is what everyone was reacting to. The shark was the focus. In Godzilla, the focal point really isn't on Godzilla, it's on the MUTOs. Godzilla doesn't initiate the plot, he and all of the other characters are simply reacting to the MUTOs, the MUTOs are actually the center of what kicks off the plot.

I'm definitely on the fence about Godzilla's screen time. And you make a really good point about Jaws vs. Godzilla. I feel the good part is there is a build up, about what Godzilla is and what he can do. He's pre-established, and the MUTOs are new. And you get a sense that yeah, these new creatures are different, but Godzilla is a known badass. And they build up to that last fight. But again... shouldn't a movie called Godzilla be about Godzilla? I've been going in circles about this. In a way, it feels like Edward's first movie, "Monster," just done on a bigger budget with more PR. Two monsters meeting to mate minus the human element done well.

Edited by chouzu_tao, 21 May 2014 - 02:22 AM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#96 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:32 AM

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you're genuinely saying these are good uses of the characters. These are not people then. They're plot points. Lazy writing. 

If you're not being sarcastic, you're right: there is a point to the characters, I should restate my stance. I think it's done too quickly and not effectively enough. It's odd, in a movie that focuses just as much on the people, if not a bit more, than the monsters, it feels like we're simply given quick blips and told to move on. We're not allowed to share in the moment with the characters and actually invest in them we're told to invest in them. We're shown things from a distance and told to care. Like Ford's scene with his family at the beginning. The lines of actually dialogue, to actually even know them is not there. It's, 'hey, there's this family. See how they look like a family? Like them! Move on.'

I was being somewhat sarcastic. I didn't think these characters were all that good, but they did have a point. Most characters, usually good or bad, have a point to be there.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#97 Enkai

Enkai

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:I like watching anime, reading manga, and watching TV shows.
    I also enjoy watching/playing football(soccer) and playing video games. I like coding and software development too, as well as having a interest in technology. Oh how can I forget drawing! Although I don't really do it as much now, used to love it as a kid.

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

So I finally watched it, I have to say I am very pleased with the 2014 film. Gareth Edwards most definitely delivered in my opinion the best Godzilla film. It of course had its fair share of problems but overall a very good film! I'd give it a solid 7.5 rating out of 10.

Concerns

10wnpqp.jpg

#98 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

Avengers/Marvel Cinematic style.

2nd movie will bring in another monster, like Rodan, Anguiris, or Mothra, maybe even Jet Jaguar....or, as someone on tumblr pointed out, humans/MONARCH use the Godzilla skeleton found in Philippines to build their own version of Kiryu. 

>Insert obligatory Kiryu goes berserk scene< 

The 2nd movie may even have Anti-Kaiju sentiments prompting the building of JJ, Kiryu, or MOGUERAs.  Hopefully someone like Miki Saegusa is introduced, a psychic, who begins to get visions of a certain, butterfly-moth like creature. This psychic also serves to bridge the world between monster and human.

Godzilla gets pissed due to puny humans annoying him, Mothra arrives and fends him off. Yes, Mothra really is that badass.

3rd and/or 4th movies, more monsters are introduced, like Rodan, Anguiris, or King Caesar. Monster Island is also built or used as a home for the other monsters.

5th movie. KING GHIDORAH, evil space-dragon of destruction attacks Earth, along with a horde of alien invaders. Epic fights ensue.

Yes, I am aware that I'm moving away from the dark and somber atmosphere by Godzilla 2014, BUT, I pretty much want all the other movies to build up to King Ghidorah. And I want Miki Saegusa (or a similar character) back.....

Although, my proposal seems like it'd lead to that delicious mess that was Final Wars.

And for my personal, PacRim x Godzilla crossover? Godzilla and the Becket-Mori team fight each other to a standstill and make Godzilla retreat...but only because he senses King Ghidorah is arriving.  Then, it'll be Becket-Mori and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 22 May 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#99 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:53 AM

Yeah, I kind of seeing them going in the way of Mech designs as an anti-kaiju reaction. If they did though, in a more realistic world... well as realistic as you can get in a world with giant monsters, the mech designs would look more like Cherno Alpha. But since they're trying to get Pacific Rim 2 off the ground too, they might go the kaiju-designs. And yeah, I think Kiryu would be awesome, and maybe they also go the route that Mothra wasn't just an easter egg, but legitimately growing into a large monster too. this makes the most sense step-wise. Ghidorah would have to be a movie or two removed if they were going to use him at some point.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#100 Hiyuusha

Hiyuusha

Hanzo Hattori

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Hanging out with bros, writing, prepping ingredients for pizza, making pizza, cooking pizza, slicing pizza, boxing pizza, packing pizza, delivering pizza, opening pizza boxes, grabbing slices of pizza, eating pizza, tasting pizza, swallowing pizza, digesting pizza, and ramen too! Also, I love to make Rasencookies - dattebayo! Lolno.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:17 AM

That'd be interesting to see. King Ghidorah always did seem like a "Final Boss" type, so having numerous movies building up to a Ghidorah Godzilla fight would definitely be good to see. I do feel as though this movie could have shown a little more Godzilla, namely when they built him up so much at the first part and then cut away right before the fight scene. I was hoping to at least see some of it, and not just hear of it all in passing. Still felt like it was a decent movie though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godzilla, LegendaryPictures, Reboot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users