Close
Photo

Why is NaruHina the fan-preferred couple?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
141 replies to this topic

#61 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:26 AM

To keep up with recent tradition

JLHza2T.png

#62 Grace

Grace

I am Johnlocked. Formerly known as "Kushina".

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Muffins? @ Jul 12 2010, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To keep up with recent tradition

I always found it totally awkward that we take the time to see him smash kitten, step out of the slab/thing, and THEN moan out a "no"....

#63 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jul 12 2010, 03:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@James--

Do you yell it wildly while sporting an amazing manstache too? =D

Actually, I think I'm the only one on H&E that has a beard and manstache...

Edited by Kamina-Yoshi, 12 July 2010 - 06:33 PM.

#64 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Jul 12 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I think I'm the only one on H&E that has a beard and manstache...

I'm also have a mustache! rawr.gif

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#65 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ Jul 12 2010, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm also have a mustache! rawr.gif

http://www.narusaku....mp;#entry286751

Anyhow, lets get back on topic. Or, is this topic basically done with and there's nothing else to discuss the ramifications of NaruHina's populace in the past, present, and future of this fandom?

#66 narusakuof21

narusakuof21

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

i belivie i have a theroy. in part 1 of the naruto series we see sakura as a person who is shallowly in love with sasuke. we see naruto as a diamond in the rought. hinata is show as the shy girl who hides in her overly huge coat. in popluar manga the the main hero is in love with the girl with the least likey change of getting together. the shy one has a crush but fears rejection. the main hero then learns of this crush in the near end and then relives that he loves her more then anything. he as givin up on the shallow girl and they shy one and hero live happly ever after. i guess this his how naruhina fans see this and hope to see naruto and hinata togerther.

#67 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

That reminds me of a conversation rather argument I got into with a NaruHina over a DeviantART, you know they were making the usual claims and saying that it's so obvious because of her confession, of course I just faceplamed myself and told them in a nice way that if NaruHina was going to happen, Kishimoto would have done something about it by now instead of waiting over a year and a half since her confession. Talk about a very slow romance. wink.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#68 Muttz

Muttz

Chuunin

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:God. Working with Shelter Animals, specifically dogs. Dogs in general...and Animals in general...I think we see where this is going. Art. Reading. Jon Mclaughlin.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

I think you guys have all made good points! Although I admit I skimmed a lot so I may be doing a lot of repeating of whats already been said in this discussion. smile.gif

I think there are a lot of reasons SS and NH are so popular. Someone mentioned the whole Sasuke's "bad boy" or "emotionally tortured boy" appeal earlier and I totally agree. And to expand on that theory, a lot of women have a savior complex when it comes to guys. I have friends who struggle with this in reality, and on the page it can come off as the most romantic thing to ever to a lot of girls. I've even seen story lines where I enjoy it in a guilty pleasure sort of way. Which is what a lot of the love for these pairings boils down to in the end. I think a lot of people are putting themselves in the place of these characters. Many (I can only speak for girls on this matter...) WANT to believe that they are appealing enough (ie. pretty, smart, witty, unique, enough, etc, etc) to "save" a guy from his pain. And so people identify and root for SS because they see or wish this to happen in their own lives on some level. Or at the very least admires the prospect, even if they know it's unrealistic.

I think the same goes for NH. A lot of people (especially teens) are shy. Hinata is easy for them to identify with, and then it's the same old story. Every shy kid has had a crush on someone where the other person may have hardly known they existed...I did it too back in my shy days! Everyone of those people has fantasized about the day where that person admitted to them that they've been admiring them all along and "lets live happily ever after". I'm not saying this to be jeering or cynical. It's a natural part of reading, and if we didn't identify with the characters then Kishi wouldn't be doing his job very well. There are a lot of "Hinata's" out there, and I think thats why she's so surprisingly popular despite being a secondary character!

I may be staunch NS but I DO see where they're coming from. In the end though I think a well written, healthy relationship is far more romantic than whats been described here as a fairy tale. Ultimately what I described above may be romantic in a dramatic, desperate love affair sort of way but I would never describe those relationships as healthy. I think THAT is the appeal of Narusaku and also why it is far less popular. Healthy and romantic do not go hand in hand in a lot of readers minds...especially young readers (although if you examine the twilight fandom you could argue being young is not a requirement). Even still, I'd be curious to know the general age range of each pairings most hard-core fans!

Pairing analysis aside, everyone's different and perhaps the reasons we have for liking something don't matter. Expecting everyone to have the same taste in pairings, or anything for that matter (despite how logical the argument seems) is about as realistic as I feel SS and NH are. wink.gif If we all felt the same way about everything where would things get interesting? How would we know what we liked if we didn't know what we didn't like? In the end I'm glad for the pairing competition, it makes me appreciate the awesome-ness that is NaruSaku even more!

Edited by Muttz, 14 July 2010 - 10:27 PM.

#69 MangaReader

MangaReader

I'm the Greatest Ever!!

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Drawing
    Animating
    Watching TV

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (Toasty Warrior @ Jul 7 2010, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I couldn't agree more with what everyone said, but I think I'll add my two cents, more than likely why people prefer NaruHina over NaruSaku is just based on the fact that they think there's nothing wrong with Hinata, she's flawless in every way and because she was the first to pay attention to Naruto, the fans think she deserves him and they also think they look cute together and they also don't think Sakura deserves Naruto because she was always hitting him for no reason or belittling him for the silliest of things or what I hate most of all is they all think Sakura will go running back to Sasuke once he comes back to Konoha. facepalm.png

You got the right idea, plus the anime (mostly fillers) gave Hinata this scene of her being totally awesome in Naruto eye's, at least, thats what the fans believe. And let's not forget Naruto famous line to Hinata "I like people like you". Because we all know that it means he love's her dry.gif

sad_naruto_sig_by_mangafreak17-d81c8fy.p

Even if I'm not the one to make you happy

#70 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:20 PM

Regarding first impressions, I can understand where NH & SS are coming from. I was a NH fan at first, so I completely understand. Y'see, back in part 1, I thought, why the hell would Kishi make a character as shallow as Sakura?? that's why I preferred NH at first. But chapter 296-297 changed my mind. I saw that Sakura was actually willing to do anything for Naruto as long as he can maintain his sanity and not fall to Kyuubi's clutches. To be honest, my friend preferred NH because Sakura's being a hypocrite about her feelings and that she's using Naruto as a rebound. I can half agree on that. But I can accept that people DO change. That's why I accepted Sakura's growing feelings. But the problem is Sakura herself. What is truly on her mind? is she really treating Naruto as a rebound? even if she doesn't, does she feel like it? that's why I'm really hoping Kishi will shed some light on Sakura's POV.

The reason I half agree she's treating Naruto as a rebound is that there's been no POV from Sakura yet. But considering Sakura's development, I doubt it. But she's probably thinking that Naruto will think she's treating him as a rebound, that's why I'm sure it's been bugging her and been something that's making her guilty. Sakura really needs to confront this issue. She needs someone to point it out bluntly like Ino, Tsunade or Sai (<--this one's more likely) or even better yet, herself. I'm actually kinda hoping she goes to the waterfall of truth. How and why? Easy. During Naruto's training to control the tailed states, Naruto has a bit of trouble even though he's managed to absorb Kyuubi's chakra. Why?? Nightmares. Naruto's been having nightmares of his parents dying/disappearing and being helpless even though in his dream he was almost able to save them. Thus, to help fix up Naruto's mental state Yamato calls in Sakura, Kakashi, and Iruka. Kakashi and Iruka will be there because they can relate to him. Sakura would be there to give him the emotional support he needs.

Then Yamato, being the sly romance observer he is decides to take Sakura to the waterfall of truth and there, she faces all the troubled feelings she has for Naruto. Yamato will also force Kakashi to do it as well. Seriously, the guy needs to face his inner demons once and for all. Sure he's managed to resolve his problem with his dad, but he still needs to come to terms about his teammates and sensei's deaths. As well as being the failure of a teacher he is to Team 7.

Edited by Newkerz, 15 July 2010 - 01:22 PM.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#71 dokueki(venom)

dokueki(venom)

Winnie_Kay

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

Sadly I am one of those western who started with anime before reading the manga. I suck! I usually hate reading but I find myself reading the new chapters when they come out each week or other week. I was NH fan at the same time an NS fan as well. I see how strong Naruto feelings for Sakura were regardless of how many times he got punched. I admit I kinda found the whole NH thing kinda cute as well but that somewhere it got annoying for me. Then i started seeing more NS devlopment in part 2. I like NH as materal for ff but don't see it as cannon.

#72 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Jul 15 2010, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the problem is Sakura herself. What is truly on her mind? is she really treating Naruto as a rebound? even if she doesn't, does she feel like it? that's why I'm really hoping Kishi will shed some light on Sakura's POV.

I agree. I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Sakura is the main character we know the least about. Even Hinata has a more history, though her interaction with Naruto is minimal compared to Sakura's.

I think Kishi is going to have to beef up Sakura's storyline a little more before this is all over to make her character be the beloved one. Not just the object of Naruto's affections. But unequivocally the one who should stand beside him. The steady development is there, but not the convincing love.

Hopefully the current couple-centric flashback foreshadows more involvment from Sakura.

#73 RedDelicious

RedDelicious

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (sardns @ Jul 6 2010, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... the most popular pairing (aside from SasuNaru) is NaruHina (look no further than fanfiction.net).

Maybe that is the answer. It is considered more popular based on the amount of fan fiction.

BUT... NaruSaku fans have plenty of good scenes from the manga, so don't have to work
so hard to make up fan fiction. Or fight so hard, since the manga is doing it for us.
(NaruHina was a possible outcome, early on, but the manga didn't
go in that direction. So fans like to consider "what if".)

Oh, and to support what dokueki(venom) mentioned, Sakura (and Naruto, for that matter)
come off worse in the anime. I didn't like either of them when Naruto first came on the
Cartoon Network. Reading the manga is what made me like those characters.

#74 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:15 AM

Someone touched on this before, but SS in my view seems to be popular because he's the "bad boy." Young girls seem to like guys with a dark side to them and like hearing about female characters changing them. SasuSaku isn't the only one; there's SesshomaruXKagome (to be fair I think the people who write this FF know it's not canon and never had a chance of being so) ZukoXKatara (sure, they became close in Season 3, but what in the world made you think they were going to fall in love?) ShadowXAmy (cause apparently Sonic isn't cool anymore) KaykoXKurama/Hiei( want another Inuyashaish romance), TeaXKaiba (where this came from, no idea). If there's a real-life example to bear in mind, I think Sandra Bullock and Jesse James is an example of what happens when you try to have a relationship with a bad boy; they're set in their ways, you're not going to change them, and they know what they want. On the surface it seems cool, and I can understand giving a dark character a love interest, but in real life it doesn't work. Right now, it's crystal clear that Sasuke doesn't even like her; the trying to kill her laughing should be a clear hint.

As for NaruHina, I guess it's something for more shy girls to identify with. Maybe they want Naruto to go with the girl who liked him at first sight. But doing so would in a way destroy the theme of Naruto winning the hearts of everyone around him. It might work better (and I have my doubts about it) if the point of the story was Naruto leaving the village to make a new life for himself and Hinata follows him. But that's not the Naruto Kishimoto created. I'm not going to elaborate on the Tsundere thing much, but I would like to ask: If Sakura punching Naruto is so bad, why is Winry not in jail for throwing a wrench at Ed? Realistically that would be assault with a deadly weapon! But it's supposed to be and is funny. In fact, I notice a similar trend in Love Hina; so many fans claim to love the series but hate Naru with a passion. In Fanfiction, they pair him up with the other girls, Motoko and Shinobu being the most popular choices (even though Motoko is a Tsundere herself). If a character is emotionally broken or seriously injured from this trend, let me know and then the hitting Naruto point may have some validity.

Of course, you can tell how mature some of the NH fans are when they say Naruto should go with Hinata because she has bigger boobs dry.gif I have two things to say to that:
1) Since you like her so much, why don't you just write a fanfiction where YOU get together with Hinata?
2) If you're pinning for large-breasted women, you're odds of finding someone have decreased (rather drastically, I say), and even if you do find the girl with the D cup or up, get ready when she complains about back problems and goes to have them reduced surgically.

Heck, even in one of the omakes Naruto stated he prefers small-breasted women.

The only valid reason at this point I can think of for disliking NS is that it's a main heroxmain heroine pairing, and some may view that as cliche. While I agree that it's sometimes refreshing to see the main male and female characters act platonic to each other or get together with other people every now and then, I don't want to see that happen if it's poorly developed.

#75 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:48 AM

2 words: Twilight Syndrome

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#76 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Oct 13 2010, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 words: Twilight Syndrome

Yes I already said this as one of the reasons why SS is famous and the same for NH.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#77 holy_demon

holy_demon

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jul 16 2010, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Sakura is the main character we know the least about. Even Hinata has a more history, though her interaction with Naruto is minimal compared to Sakura's.

I think Kishi is going to have to beef up Sakura's storyline a little more before this is all over to make her character be the beloved one. Not just the object of Naruto's affections. But unequivocally the one who should stand beside him. The steady development is there, but not the convincing love.

Hopefully the current couple-centric flashback foreshadows more involvment from Sakura.

If Sakura's backstory was revealed, it must be related to Naruto in some way (this manga is Naruto-centric, after all). I doubt Kishimoto will give us that until the very end of the manga, since it could possibly become the final push (or pull) of NaruSaku.

Back on topic, some of the frequent somehwhat more radical argument of pro NH:

1. Hinata loves Naruto from the beginning.
2. Hinata understood Naruto.
3. She always treated him nicely.
4. Her devotion deserves his love.

And my rebuttal:

1. She can claim whatever she wanted, but the fact she avoided facing him, fainted at his presence, and didn't try to befriend with his lonely self showed that she has never been concerned about Naruto, and she is uncomfortable with Naruto. That's not love, that's indifference. Actions speak louder that words

2. This statement made me raise an eyebrow. How could she understand Naruto with such little interaction. She may relate to him somewhat due to her reclusive tendency (which actually is totally opposite to Naruto's over-friendliness), she never sees him as a whole, his devotion to his people, his dream, his personality. All she saw was just a kid who tried harder despite failure.

Actually, I saw Hinata as a spoiled heir who can't even stand her father's scold, which is for her own good and development. Her father scolded her because he cared. Naruto didn't even have anybody to scold him, to watch out for him. Hence. he greatly appreciated Sakura's scold, he always had a smile when she hit him or scold him. He finally got somebody's attention without having to prank.

3. If you think doing nothing is treating nicely, then I suppose the rest of Konoha had been treating him nicely. They did absolutely nothing to him.

4. The only devotion Naruto got from a female was Sakura's. Throughout part 2, she has been relentlessly to trying to take care of Naruto, putting his wellbeing above her personal feeling, whether in the matter of Sasuke, of Kyuubi, or Sai (in the beginning). In part 1, she has shown a tiny bit of her support when she tried to protect his dream in the exam. In part 2, she litterally went into over-protective mode. She over-reacted everytime Naruto was frustrated, burdened, or pained. Even the confession was another result of her overreaction when she was convinced that she was causing Naruto's pain.

Meanwhile, Hinata was doing nothing, except going into suicide against Pein and not ever trying to release Naruto from his hold.

Of course, it's not like one whould deserve somebody else's love.

#78 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:21 AM

NaruSaku entails what fans see as a physically abusive b**** with someone who doesn't deserve it and don't see any further into it. NaruHina, however, seems to have someone who actually cares about Naruto. Again, they fail to see that Sakura does care about him and that the physical "abuse" is merely traditional anime humor.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#79 holy_demon

holy_demon

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Oct 15 2010, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NaruSaku entails what fans see as a physically abusive b**** with someone who doesn't deserve it and don't see any further into it. NaruHina, however, seems to have someone who actually cares about Naruto. Again, they fail to see that Sakura does care about him and that the physical "abuse" is merely traditional anime humor.

This thing has been itching me for quite a while. Despite the implication in the manga, Hinata didn't show much care, or faith of Naruto, Sakura was all over Naruto that I think she was obsessed with him, and Naruto was acting quite nonchalant toward Sakura. The manga would be more believable if Sakura loved Naruto while Naruto was uninterested, cos that's exactly how I feel about them.

#80 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (holy_demon @ Oct 14 2010, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thing has been itching me for quite a while. Despite the implication in the manga, Hinata didn't show much care, or faith of Naruto, Sakura was all over Naruto that I think she was obsessed with him, and Naruto was acting quite nonchalant toward Sakura. The manga would be more believable if Sakura loved Naruto while Naruto was uninterested, cos that's exactly how I feel about them.

Wether NH fans like it or not the girl who will always be the most important person in Naruto's life is Sakura not Hinata. Sakura was the first girl to pay attention to him during his lonely childhood even like you said that the attention she gave him was to scold him for playing a prank or doing someting wrong. But I'm sure to Naruto getting scold was better than paying no attention to him at all, the kid looking for some attention would love to at least get scold and no less a girl (ironically the girl he likes. smile.gif).

Sakura was probably the only girl who didn't hated Naruto she only saw him as an annoying person who was trying to get in her way of Sasuke. But at least she talk to him and took her time to scold him for doing something wrong althogh inner Sakura seems to disagree she seem to like his pranks especially when Kakashi fell for the eraser on the ceiling (I'm sure the adults told their kids to ignore Naruto). During part 1 like part 2 she has shown strong signs that she cares for Naruto for various reasons:

-During the wave arc when Naruto wounded himself with the poisoned kunai making the oath of pain she quickly suggested to Kakashi to return to the village to treat his wound (that is a sign that she cares about him if you ask me sleep.gif).

-She saved his life when they dodged Zabuza's sword in ch 11 (she pushed Naruto out of the way and she landed on top of his back, boy that sure is caring for someone especially when she made such action on Naruto and not on Sasuke very unlikely for someone to like the Uchiha so much tongue.gif.)

-During the first test of the chunin exams she was willing to forfeit the team getting disqualify and ban from taking the exams again than seeing Naruto's dream being crush not caring that Sasuke might get angry at her for her decision (yes she said that his dream of Hokage is impossible to achieve but at least she wanted to protect it and not seeing it crush).

-She cheered for Naruto during his match with Kiba (she probably did it because she was thankful that he cheered for her during her match with Ino but she still shows that she cares for him.)

-Sasuke told her not to tell Naruto about the curse seal and she did kept quiet for a while until she finally decides to tell him but she decides to tell him anyway( okay this isn't really caring for him but she trusts him).

I think there are more signs in part 1 where Sakura has shown that she cares for Naruto but that will be all for me. I won't mention part 2 because like holy demon said there are all over the place because Sakura has shown nothing but caring for Naruto (more than a friend or a sister for the matter). As for Hinata I won't bring her in this because holy demon has already pin pointed the reasons why Naruto will never care for her in the same lenghts as Sakura or even see her as a love interest.

Edited by Gravenimage, 15 October 2010 - 10:36 AM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users