Close
Photo

Can someone explain to me why/how Yaoi is so popular?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#61 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:I like to play sports: tennis, cricket, swimming, soccer, ping pong, basketball, squash, volleyball, badminton and most of all love to do martial arts. <br /><br />I am a black belt in taekwondo, orange belt in Karate. I have also done a little bit of judo and kick boxing.<br /><br />I also love reading. It is my favorite past time hobby next to all the others listed above. Due to the large amount of materials that I have read I have a lot of trouble writing my own fanfic since the ideas to make it different keeps coming to mind. I haven't submitted a single fanfic but I am writing an ongoing fic regarding Naruto which I hope to put online for others to read.<br /><br />I also like watching anime and reading manga and have been a fan since day one. (except for the fillers part ... But I still watched each and everyone)<br /><br />I have always liked Naruto and Sakura's pairing and I say make them a cannon couple --> this part is exclusively for Kishimoto-san.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (TrueSalvation @ Dec 10 2007, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason I think that SakuIno is not canon is because it happened all the way back during the Chunin exams and they have no contact whatsoever since then. Sakura and Ino haven't even talked to each other in the part 2( to the best of my knowledge) and they haven't had any conflict. NaruSasu on the other hand, has canon basis because Naruto is still whining about bringing Sasuke back "Sasuke I want to make love to you!!!!"

But you all know my OTP for Yaoi.
OROSASU FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, are you saying that Sasuke was such a passionate lover to Oro that he destroyed him or should I say absorbed him tongue.gif

111189.gif

#62 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (narutokage @ Dec 11 2007, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, are you saying that Sasuke was such a passionate lover to Oro that he destroyed him or should I say absorbed him tongue.gif

111189.gif

OF course that's what I am saying. Don't you know about the whole drama that was going on between Sasuke, Orochimaru, and Kabuto?

I'll explain:

Sasuke absorbed Orochimaru because he only wanted him for himself. He didn't want Kabuto to get any of that ass have any of Orochimaru because he is a selfish ignorant bastard wanted Orochimaru to be his true lover. But unfortunately for Sasuke, he didn't know that Kabuto was able to get a piece of Orochimaru inside of him too. Now Kabuto being Orochimaru's friend with benefits the servant of Orochimaru wanted to do anything to please Orochimaru-sama. So now what Kabuimaru is planning to do is seek revenge on Sasuke by reabsorbing him and then they can all share each other.

I hope that cleared it up for you! ^___^

#63 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:40 AM

You.

-Points at Salvation.-

I am the funny guy here. Stop it. >:'

#64 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE (Yoshimoto Trigen @ Dec 11 2007, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You.

-Points at Salvation.-

Bothered by a little healthy competition?

You remind me of Sasuke and his superiority complex............>__>

#65 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:I like to play sports: tennis, cricket, swimming, soccer, ping pong, basketball, squash, volleyball, badminton and most of all love to do martial arts. <br /><br />I am a black belt in taekwondo, orange belt in Karate. I have also done a little bit of judo and kick boxing.<br /><br />I also love reading. It is my favorite past time hobby next to all the others listed above. Due to the large amount of materials that I have read I have a lot of trouble writing my own fanfic since the ideas to make it different keeps coming to mind. I haven't submitted a single fanfic but I am writing an ongoing fic regarding Naruto which I hope to put online for others to read.<br /><br />I also like watching anime and reading manga and have been a fan since day one. (except for the fillers part ... But I still watched each and everyone)<br /><br />I have always liked Naruto and Sakura's pairing and I say make them a cannon couple --> this part is exclusively for Kishimoto-san.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE (Yoshimoto Trigen @ Dec 10 2007, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You.

-Points at Salvation.-

QUOTE (TrueSalvation @ Dec 10 2007, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bothered by a little healthy competition?

You remind me of Sasuke and his superiority complex............>__>

Keep it up up guys :thumbs:

I am having some great laughs here 111189.gif

come on Yoshimoto, I am sure you can come up with something to top of Salvation yet. Use the power of fangirls tongue.gif

#66 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (narutokage @ Dec 11 2007, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep it up up guys :thumbs:

I am having some great laughs here 111189.gif

come on Yoshimoto, I am sure you can come up with something to top of Salvation yet. Use the power of fangirls tongue.gif

Yoshimoto is a fangirl? Is that why she hates me for making fun of Sasuke?

You Will Never Top Me!!!

#67 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (TrueSalvation @ Dec 10 2007, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yoshimoto is a fangirl? Is that why she hates me for making fun of Sasuke?

You Will Never Top Me!!!

lol....wat was up with that site laugh.gif

That was fun to watch tongue.gif

And nope Yoshimoto is not a Sasuke fangirl or anything of the sort. You are the rival Salvation biggrin.gif

#68 Denim88

Denim88

I have my moments, believe it or not.

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Hm, interests...well, I was one of those crazy nuts that knew all the pokemon back when that was the big thing...still do know them all (cough). I happen to be a very strong supporter of NarutoxSakura pairing. I really enjoy wildlife and the outdoors. I'm a gamer I guess...yeah, okay, I am. Let's see, what else could I put down...um, I love reading, writing, and biking too. Comedy movies are the best...um yeah. Kind of a weak interests section, but whatever.<br /><br />Ah, yes, I guess I should mention that my stories are also able to be viewed on fanfiction.net. You can find me under the name Denim88 on there too.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

Ah...Sasuke and Naruto pairings...I remember when I first joined fanfiction and was just looking through the Naruto fics (this was when Naruto was only in 70,000s mind you) and I was like "What's SasuNaru? Some kind of fusion of two characters???" I looked into the story, screamed, and immediately started reading a Sakura Naruto pairing to clear my mind. omfg.gif That yaoi fic was one of the more...graphic ones...I then started realizing just how many of them there were. I was determined to bring about Naruto and Sakura to the top...so I started writing my fics. I haven't brought to much to the pairing (only three stories, two still a work in progress) but I am proud to say that I have one of the few NaruSaku Horror/Romances on the site *grins proudly while giving the 'Nice Guy' pose* :thumbs: I even have been working on a story about Naruto and Temari, another one I'm proud of.

While I'm at it, has anyone ever noticed how many NarutoxHarem stories there are? I've read like only one really good one, and that was because most of the time Naruto was either trying to avoid getting raped by Anko getting too close to Anko, or he was in very awkward situations with Temari or Sakura. It was wonderful though, and it's one of my favorites...despite it being a harem. It wasn't a hardcore 'OMG, Naruto marry me!' thing either. I guess people see Naruto as just too loveable of a guy for only one girl, lol powerglomp.gif

I guess I'll just have to agree that yaoi has the fangirls to thank for making it so popular on fanfiction sites. Regardless, it's quality, not quantity, that makes story pairings good. Now, I'm not bashing yaoi, I just don't have an interest in it. Just my opinion!

...long live NaruSaku!!!!!! w00t.gif

Gimme a break, 'kay?

Denim88's fanfiction page!!!

#69 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (Denim88 @ Dec 11 2007, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah...Sasuke and Naruto pairings...I remember when I first joined fanfiction and was just looking through the Naruto fics (this was when Naruto was only in 70,000s mind you) and I was like "What's SasuNaru? Some kind of fusion of two characters???" I looked into the story, screamed, and immediately started reading a Sakura Naruto pairing to clear my mind. omfg.gif That yaoi fic was one of the more...graphic ones...I then started realizing just how many of them there were. I was determined to bring about Naruto and Sakura to the top...so I started writing my fics. I haven't brought to much to the pairing (only three stories, two still a work in progress) but I am proud to say that I have one of the few NaruSaku Horror/Romances on the site *grins proudly while giving the 'Nice Guy' pose* :thumbs: I even have been working on a story about Naruto and Temari, another one I'm proud of.

While I'm at it, has anyone ever noticed how many NarutoxHarem stories there are? I've read like only one really good one, and that was because most of the time Naruto was either trying to avoid getting raped by Anko getting too close to Anko, or he was in very awkward situations with Temari or Sakura. It was wonderful though, and it's one of my favorites...despite it being a harem. It wasn't a hardcore 'OMG, Naruto marry me!' thing either. I guess people see Naruto as just too loveable of a guy for only one girl, lol powerglomp.gif

I guess I'll just have to agree that yaoi has the fangirls to thank for making it so popular on fanfiction sites. Regardless, it's quality, not quantity, that makes story pairings good. Now, I'm not bashing yaoi, I just don't have an interest in it. Just my opinion!

...long live NaruSaku!!!!!! w00t.gif

lol....u just described a scene that happened with my friend tongue.gif. He went to ff.net for the first time as I told him about a few good stories and he just clicked a random story and it turned out to be a SasuNaru. Poor guy laugh.gif He was like there was some vividly graphic description and it was only a T rating. I couldn't stop laughing. And apparently he didn't use the filter option so quite a few stories were yaoi on that page. He didn't return to reading fanfics for the next 6 months.

Its funny though. Yaoi, NaruHina and SasuSaku are the three things usually leading in fanfics laugh.gif

#70 Denim88

Denim88

I have my moments, believe it or not.

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Hm, interests...well, I was one of those crazy nuts that knew all the pokemon back when that was the big thing...still do know them all (cough). I happen to be a very strong supporter of NarutoxSakura pairing. I really enjoy wildlife and the outdoors. I'm a gamer I guess...yeah, okay, I am. Let's see, what else could I put down...um, I love reading, writing, and biking too. Comedy movies are the best...um yeah. Kind of a weak interests section, but whatever.<br /><br />Ah, yes, I guess I should mention that my stories are also able to be viewed on fanfiction.net. You can find me under the name Denim88 on there too.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:50 AM

Yeah...I was like "What in the name of all that is sacred is this??? 'Sasuke smiled at the blonde laying next to him as he- OMG!!! GAHHH!!!" or something around those lines. I happen to have a very good visual imagination, so my mind automatically started painting a scene, and I was trying desperately to stomp it out.

I actually like NaruHina (it's one of my top favorites) but most of them are hard to get into because everything happens so quickly, or it ends up being a Sakura and/or Sasuke bashing story. I don't like character bashing, even one about villains. However, stories with a really nice plot of the two falling for each other over a period of time, and not in one night, make things nice. Again, the quality is everything to me. I've also read some very...um...mature NaruHina nosebleed8rx.gif and I think to myself, "Wow, would Hinata be able to do that kind of stuff before fainting?" lol

Gimme a break, 'kay?

Denim88's fanfiction page!!!

#71 Asuma&TheCigarrete

Asuma&TheCigarrete

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (CrashLanded @ Nov 16 2007, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blame it on the samba!!!!

(...)

Hey man.... what's the problem with my country's music? 111193.gif
\o/ My Avatar is simply the best possible for a "Fresh Meat" \o/

/o\ But i'm not a Fresh Meat anymore /o\

#72 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Asuma&TheCigarrete @ Dec 12 2007, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey man.... what's the problem with my country's music? 111193.gif

Depends, what is the Samba?

#73 Leney

Leney

Little Ray of Sunshine

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

My brother has gotten into reading fanfic and he's a 14 year old boy. I remember he came to me all confused and disturbed and talking about:

"Those stories where Naruto and Sasuke are...*in a hushed voice* gay. I can't read them! Why do people write that kitten?"

I asked him why not? Why is does it bother you? Because really, there's no reason to be all "ew".

The only kind of reason that would be appropriate is he stumbled on a lemon and he really did not need to be reading any of that, yaoi or het. He asks me for recs, and as good as some of those fics are, he's not old enough to be reading it.

Then, I'm like this is today's society where an acceptable response is reeking in homophobia. "I'm not homophobic, I don't hate gays, I have gay friends, but I don't want to ever see it in front of me, ew!"

No matter what one tells themselves to be able to sleep at night; that's homophobia folks. "Phobia" is the Greek word for irrational fear. Keyword: irrational aka for no good reason.

<Insert where otouto and I have a talk about prejudices, parallels, intersections and empathy.>

So after that, a few days later he comes back to me with the conversation starter:

"I don't think Naruto is gay. Okay, maybe he could be bi. But only because he's gay for Sasuke. But Sasuke would have to start it first, I think."

Well at least he's not like 'ew, lets stop talking about it' anymore. There are some good stories out there that just happen to have two guys liking each other. happy.gif It'd be a shame to miss out on them.
WTF Fanfic Quote of the Moment

"I nearly threw up in my mouth" exclaimed Sasuke, mentally scarred by the experience."You should do that!Except let her try and kiss you whilst you do!"laughed Naruto exitedly."That is WAY funny, and all the same way more creepy that that time at the preliminaries!"retorted Sasuke, remembering."uuughh! I feel so sorry for the shadow clones I made whilst we hid.I hear one of the sound genin got AIDS and CHLAMIDIA from Hayate"said Naruto pulling a face.

#74 RpgGameGuzzler

RpgGameGuzzler

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:00 AM

-raises hand- I'm a yaoi lover. I guess it's popular because there are moments where it can just get RIDICULOUSLY cute. And girls generally like cute.

I used to REALLY not like it, but I started to read more shounen-ai fanfiction and I kinda just fell into it. I have a yaoi section in my bookshelf now, and half of my favorited fanfics are yaoi too.

My two friends and I had a conversation like this once, it kind of went like:

Me: Pairings are kinda just like having a favorite flavor ice cream, you know? You like it because you like it.

Guy Friend: I still don't get it.

Me: Okay, let's try this. Some guys like two girls making out. Some girls like two guys making out.

Guy Friend: Still nasty

At that point I just rolled my eyes and then pulled out a yaoi manga and chased him with it.

I guess it's popular because yaoi is the same as a straight pairing! It's still love, and that's still all that matters!

#75 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:37 AM

WoW, after going through all these pages I have to say I'm probably the only straight guy that doesn't like Yuri pairings. Well don't get me wrong, girl on girl is stimulating I guess. But I tend to look for more believable plot when I search for fanfics. Which is why I steer clear from Yaoi and Yuri pairings, because there are no clear accounts of homosexuality within the series, thus far. (Although Oro is very questionable ^^)

To be honest now that I think about it, I'm very selective of what I read anyway. One it has to be a scenario that's honestly believable and if not, its delivered in a way (meaning written well enough) that it has a logical progression that brings the reader to whatever point of view the fic is trying to give.

And I believe if you need to bend, break, ignore, and perfusely manipulate the characters to fit into pairing you deem fit, I won't really have anything to do with it. I know this is fanfiction and the author has the right to do whatever you feel to express him/her self, but you should keep it within the parameters that the original series gives you or you might as well be writing original fiction.

The problem I have with most Yaoi/Yuri fics is no one places their story within the boundaries of the original series. They just want male A to go with male B, for hawt steamy sexxor, or like someone stated before because its "SQUEEE!" Everyone tends to be so out of character, they could slap whoever's name on the person and it still be the same story.

I also wanted to make the comment that I think Yaoi in particular is so popular because there are more female writers and readers in fanfiction. So they all might be catering to the general consensus. If you notice Yuri isn't as popular as the Yaoi, because not to many guys are writing them, maybe ^^.

Edited by No WhereMan, 21 February 2008 - 08:41 AM.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#76 PhantomCat

PhantomCat

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

Yaoi scares me to the very core!
It 's scare me on how much NaruSasu doujinshi are out there. There's hardly ant Het ones out there.I don't why girls or maybe boys like it but it just creeps me out.[s] I'll only like NaruSasu if one of them are a diffent gender.
Like Female Naruto and Sasuke it always cracks me up.Sasuke best firend turns out to be a girl.FunnY!
narusakuct7.gif

Edited by Ally, 23 February 2008 - 03:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users