#61 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:20 AM

I'm hoping I don't have a Final on Friday so I can midnight this.... Or if they're showing it at 7 pm like my theatre did for Amazing Spider-Man 2.....  

#62 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

The reviews for this one are really good and I'm getting super hyped.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#63 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:13 AM

Me too! Good news, I don't have a final on Friday AND my theater's showing it at 7 pm!  No need to wake up super tired the next day.

#64 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

I care not about work, if midnight is the earliest screening of this, I will be there! I've never understood how they came up with the onomatopoeia for his roar in the comics. "Skreonk" ... There's no hissing or "s" anywhere to be found in it. 

Bought and read the prequel comic "Awakening". Maybe spoilers? -- Basically he's Gamera from the 1990's Gamera trilogy, without the mystical element and the MUTO are the Gyaos (which... given the design of one of them, Duh?)

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#65 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:10 AM

I'm seeing the film in two more hours! Sweet!

tumblr_inline_n5n4cddgcU1sbb9md.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#66 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:47 AM

I'm seeing the film in two more hours! Sweet!

tumblr_inline_n5n4cddgcU1sbb9md.gif

Please have Godzilla do a victory dance! Please!

#67 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:23 AM

Saw it, talk about delayed gratification, but totally worth it.  He's still proving why he's the King, no, God of all Monsters.

#68 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

For me whenever I see Godzilla I'm reminded of the old Chewit adverts here in the UK.

I'm pretty sure they stole the idea from Godzilla to make the ads but I can't help making the comparison,  specially with the new one, he looks like he ate too many sweets as well.

iAnby7W.gif

#69 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:59 AM

Awesome! Review in the rate-a-movie section.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#70 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

I'd definitely put it up there with some of the better made Godzilla films, and it definitely wiped my memory clean of that disgrace of a 1998 film.

"They don't want none"

#71 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

This movie is easily among my favorite films now

Still all the cockteasing and building up to a 10 second fight in the first hour was major kitten move

eh10ut.jpg

#72 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

I'd definitely put it up there with some of the better made Godzilla films, and it definitely wiped my memory clean of that disgrace of a 1998 film.

So, did he dance? Did he fly with his breath? Did he do drop kick? How about a body slam from up in the air?

:lmao:

#73 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

So, did he dance? Did he fly with his breath? Did he do drop kick? How about a body slam from up in the air?

:lmao:

Unfortunately Godzilla didn't do anything of the sort, but he did pull off a badass move that made the audience cheer. ;)

"They don't want none"

#74 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

Unfortunately Godzilla didn't do anything of the sort, but he did pull off a badass move that made the audience cheer. ;)

Lol. But man, that's awesome. I can't wait to see it.

#75 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

Good news. It was a hit at box office! King of box office that is!

#76 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:25 AM

I hope it at the least breaks even on budget. Reportedly Legendary is already eyeing a sequel. If so, any thoughts on directors?

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#77 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:36 AM

http://m.ign.com/art...-2-is-happening

#78 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:06 AM

Sweet! I'd def like a different director though. I like Edward's respect for Godzilla and his cinematography for the monster stuff, but I want someone who can make a more epic movie.

I saw the movie again, and this time made quick notes after and wanted to get your thoughts too.

Spoilers ahead in all of them.

Bad vision

music again

train issues

people problems

big boi

his name

no need to leave

armed and dumb

Also, how do you feel about the screen time and the first "battle?"

thoughts on the kaiju time

Edited by chouzu_tao, 20 May 2014 - 04:07 AM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#79 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:28 AM

Godzilla is the translation of Gojira, there really wasn't a scene needed for that transition to take place. You can just assume the English name stuck.

The female needed the male to reproduce there's was no statement saying she didn't need him we also don't know much about these creatures or how they're habitats work, there are some species of insects and lizard where the females are asexual and the males are...well...just along for the ride

The armed forces didn't have time to evacuate, the minute it was announced Godzilla was on his way he was literally stompin around shores.

Godzilla isn't fat, all of that is muscle and bulk and that's how he's always looked....his design was based closely on the Heisei Godzilla which is the definitive Godzilla

The train was automatic

Godzilla rose up from the depths right in front of him, Serizawa likely saw the waves rising and thought he was far away, he also wanted to take close look at Godzilla since nobody has seen him in 60 years

There was no indication that the Muto was eating before people saw it after all as soon as they spot it we see it digging in so its actually very likely that they just caught his hand in the cookie jar.

Edited by Pepsi, 20 May 2014 - 04:29 AM.

eh10ut.jpg

#80 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

I hope it at the least breaks even on budget. Reportedly Legendary is already eyeing a sequel. If so, any thoughts on directors?

It only had a budget of $160 million, so it's likely it will be even on its budget since it's already passed $90 million. The question is will it make double that amount. Movie studios usually like to see nearly double the budget, since some expenses, like advertising, aren't included in the original budget.

If the movie is successful it's likely that they will keep Edwards on board, same way they did with Nolan and Batman, Raimi with Spider-Man, etc. Apparently, Edwards would use the same restraint with showing the monster if he did make a sequel.

In you're other post you mention that there's no point to the human characters. There actually is a point. The reason for the characters is just simply to have a character you know placed in a situation. For example, probably the only reason the main character had a son was to have that son be put on a bus on the Golden Gate Bridge. Why did he not tell his wife to get out of the city as soon as possible? So she would be there when Godzilla showed up.

Anyways. I thought the movie was alright. If found the human elements to be really lacking. Aaron Taylor-Johnson just didn't have much energy in his performance which led to his character being a bit dull. I enjoyed the monster battles, the special effects were fantastic and very detailed. Plus I loved the atomic breath.

I think my biggest issue is the lack of Godzilla in the movie, but not just in terms of screen time. I understand the teasing part and I see many comparisons with Jaws. But with Jaws, the shark was the main problem, the shark is what everyone was reacting to. The shark was the focus. In Godzilla, the focal point really isn't on Godzilla, it's on the MUTOs. Godzilla doesn't initiate the plot, he and all of the other characters are simply reacting to the MUTOs, the MUTOs are actually the center of what kicks off the plot.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godzilla, LegendaryPictures, Reboot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users