Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Jul 22 2010, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is an account required?

Yeah but I think they're free I just had someone tell me about the website on the onemanga forums.

JLHza2T.png

#62 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE (Muffins? @ Jul 23 2010, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah but I think they're free I just had someone tell me about the website on the onemanga forums.

Bah-humbug. I despise having to make more accounts.

#63 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:03 AM

I feel terrible... OneManga is/was the best place to read manga ever...
Although I am confused...every time a new chapter of Naruto is out, you post a link to it through MangaStream, not OneManga. I understand that MangaStream releases them earlier, but all it shows me is that you all prefer MangaStream over OneManga...why is anyone else concerned if you have MangaStream which you seem to be so fond of?

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#64 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jul 23 2010, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although I am confused...every time a new chapter of Naruto is out, you post a link to it through MangaStream, not OneManga. I understand that MangaStream releases them earlier, but all it shows me is that you all prefer MangaStream over OneManga...why is anyone else concerned if you have MangaStream which you seem to be so fond of?

I think folks pretty much just post whichever site has the given weeks release first.
bd5.jpg

#65 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:23 AM

If they really want to solve this problem, they need to supply their own translations on an immediate basis. If you can put out an english translation the same day online for a subscription as the japanese version you would have more money, no issues.

You want to rid yourself of Napster, create iTunes and Limewire.

The market outside of Japan has grown large enough that if the issue is presented it will become heavily unpopular to the foreign market (they probably don't care though because american mangas are overpriced) because this is an immediate culture. No one wants to wait for a year to read something that comes out tuesday. Things don't work the way they used too.

Edited by Insurrection, 23 July 2010 - 05:29 AM.

#66 socermania2

socermania2

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:25 AM

Surprised it took this long to get done.

Now just give me quick translated releases, and I'll be a happy camper smile.gif
BLACK AND WHITE

#67 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jul 23 2010, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's just as dl316bh says. Also, OneManga offers a much wider range of titles than Mangastream. There are literally hundreds of mangas that you won't find on Mangastream.

It's a shame OneManga is closing. sad.gif It's been my main choice for browsing and reading manga, and I've discovered many favourites through that site, such as Kekkaishi and Veritas. I worry if the publishers might go too far and actually bite the hand that feeds them? After all, most people check out manga titles online for free, then buy the books if they like what they see. I know I wouldn't have bought all those Naruto and Eyeshield 21 books if I didn't actually experience the stories online.

(Mental note: MUST finish my Eyeshield 21 book collection!)

I know people can still rave about mangas in forums, but it's harder to convince people to buy the books if they can't sample them for free in a local library or bookshop. My library and local bookshops only stock a limited range of titles, so nearly all my manga purchases are online - and you can't exactly look inside them before you buy. Worse, there are titles that you can't get in your own country. Veritas doesn't have an English translation for sale! arg.gif

I'll check out the alternate websites you guys have been mentioning. Hopefully I can find all of my favourite titles!

R.I.P OneManga. Thanks for all the wonder, laughter and tears.

#68 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

OpenManga update (in case you're interested)
Hmm.. I'm glad about this update. happy.gif We probably may not even have to pay after all. (of course, the paying option will still be there for the really dedicated after all)
I think this site will be quite successful. In fact, it looks like they may just scan the WHOLE damn JUMP magazine wow.png I sure hope they also will give online questionnaires. (imagine the 1 million votes for Naruto!! wow.png) Not to mention we have to stop something like D.A. (Double Arts) happening all over again!!! rawr.gif

And Oh, I think I may start a new thread for this. Keep a good eye out for this guys.

Edited by Newkerz, 23 July 2010 - 09:36 AM.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#69 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

Well, I guess since I'll be moving out of the country soon the manga companies couldn't have picked a better time to do this sweatdrop.gif

I do have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it IS in their rights to do so, and many companies, especially VIZ, were cool enough to let it slide up till now. With not only all the work they've done, but also to give us large editions with colored pages, and in the case of Naruto and One Piece, to speed up the releases, they deserve every penny for their hard work, and I have to admit that lately I've been part of the problem.

And while I'm in no way advocating the continued pirated scans, I don't think this is going to help that much, as their are other problems. First off, is the product good enough to buy? I remember for the longest time, back when the industry was still fairly young, I would just go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and read them there. Though I buy manga more often now, I'm still far from a regular customer. There are also some titles for me that are a guilty pleasure, but I do not want to take home with me, whether it's not that good or is embarrasing to say you own (Tenjou Tenge being the prime example for me, although CMX practically dug their graves with this one). And as mentioned before, to get into these types of series you REALLY have to start from the beginning, which a bookstore does not always guarantee a copy of.

There's also the issue of the relationship between the manga and their anime adaptations. Most manga don't become popular in the US unless their anime counterpart sells in the US; many manga like DragonBall, Inuyasha, and Naruto did not become smash hits until their tv shows hit the air. If the anime is not a good representation of the manga, neither will do well, and in the case of Shaman King and One Piece, who were initially handled by 4kids Entertainment, probably killed their chances with an older audience. There's also cases were it's the reverse, where the manga is not as good as the anime. I could not get into either the Cowboy Beebop or Samurai Champloo manga (especially the later with it's terrible artwork) and the Code Geass Mangas are so radically different from the show that more often than not it throws me off.

However, what's really killing the industry is the saturation of nieche titles (it kind of goes back to the first point of guilty pleasures). The only titles I've seen that met some kind of success down here are Shonen action titles. Everything else Japan has to offer is either so radically culturally different or taboo to Americans. I think TokyoPop would be the best example of this; it has almost nothing but ecchi manga in their collection, and the few that don't fall into this category are not particularly stunning. There's only a small amount of teenagers who would buy that kind of manga here, and by the time the become young adults, they're going to be too embarrased to admit ever owning them. The only types that I can think of that did well here are Love Hina and Negima, and now TokyoPop is crippled because of that. It's also problematic if the manga is heavily edited, or flopped like viz did in the old days; you're practically asking fans to view the originals illegally.

Geneon went out of business for much of the same reasons; they bought EVERYTHING out there! The manga companies need to be smarter about what they buy, and realize most of what Japan has to offer is just too nieche for the West as a whole. It also probably wouldn't hurt for them to make their own original works, but with competition from established companies, I can see that creating even more problems for them.

Finally, much like music and television, they need to turn the internet problem into a solution. I don't think they should do what OneManga did and simply post all their chapters for free; the music industry is still in shambles because of that and I'd imagine many TV shows are having the same problem. I personally think they should allow viewers to rent a volume or two onto their computer or view it online for a small fee, and once a certain amount of time expires, they cannot view it again without going to a bookstore. It's just a thought, but as I said, with this technology if they simply fight to suppress it they WILL lose. So, I figure my idea is at least worth a try

I'm pretty curious to see how this OpenManga is going to work, especially for titles that are already licensed in the US but are ongoing in Japan.

#70 Faexylona

Faexylona

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:I like to read, write, and learn.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

When I heard the news, I immediately became angry. Why? If it was not for onemanga.com I would never have touched a manga. Honestly, onemanga is where I read my first chapter of naruto. The site is the reason why I started to buy manga. So yeah, I read them for free and then went and bought those which were at my local Borders. Because I like to read first, buy later. Now, I have to rely on youtube for my weekly updates of Naruto, and my local library for manga that I have not read but are published in united states.

Goodbye onemanga.com. Now I will have more time for my studies shamefulcry0js.gif
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get."
- Forest Gump

#71 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Jul 23 2010, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, what's really killing the industry is the saturation of nieche titles (it kind of goes back to the first point of guilty pleasures). The only titles I've seen that met some kind of success down here are Shonen action titles. Everything else Japan has to offer is either so radically culturally different or taboo to Americans.

Actually they've had as much, if not more success with shoujo titles: Fushigi Yuugi, Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Magic Knights Rayearth, Utena, Fruits Basket, Vampire Knight, Boys Over Flowers, Ceres Celestial Legend,Kodocha, His and Her Circumstances, Ouran Host Club, Shugo Chara, Otomen, Skip Beat....
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#72 Ulgamoth

Ulgamoth

H&E's Sun Pokemon

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:I like Naruto, hence me being here. I also enjoy Death Note manga, Dragon Ball and DBZ manga and Full Metal Alchemist manga. In to metal music but can listen to ALMOST anything. Love playing video games, specifically Pokemon. Currently working on Pokemon Black. Spore is EPIC and so is Fallout New Vegas. Disturbed in the house, droppin' plates!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:45 AM

OM is CLOSING?!?!?!?!? WHAT DO!?

Deep in the jungle camouflaged by all the fallen leaves
A hand holds up the sky while shamefully I make my plea
The alter's callin' but my legs won't seem to stand
Guess I'm a coward scared to face the man I am

#73 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jul 22 2010, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The market outside of Japan has grown large enough that if the issue is presented it will become heavily unpopular to the foreign market (they probably don't care though because american mangas are overpriced) because this is an immediate culture. No one wants to wait for a year to read something that comes out tuesday. Things don't work the way they used too.

Not really. At Barns and Noble I buy Manga for $10 which is not that much in terms of how much I have to pay for regular American novels. Example for my two Naruto manga I payed $20. My Gears of War novel was the same price. (They also have sales where if you buy 3 manga you get one for free.)

Also considering how much American publishers have to pay for publishing rights, translators, re-printing for english, and so much more it is of no surprise.

How much are manga in Japan? $2-$3 I think. At least that is how much I payed when I visited. I wont pay more than $10 for a manga.
My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#74 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

http://www.animenews...anga-scan-sites

it will spread like wildfire >:D

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#75 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,846 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Jul 23 2010, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know people can still rave about mangas in forums, but it's harder to convince people to buy the books if they can't sample them for free in a local library or bookshop. My library and local bookshops only stock a limited range of titles, so nearly all my manga purchases are online - and you can't exactly look inside them before you buy. Worse, there are titles that you can't get in your own country.

I know I can easily get Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and even Dragon Ball in my local library (Since I'm living in a big city, the manga are located in the Main Branch at the Downtown area.) But most of the time, when I come to find the newer volumes, majority of these series were rented out, Naruto especially. As a matter of fact, no one ever touch Bleach or One Piece in my area since I saw a huge row of volumes for the series sleep.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#76 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Derock @ Jul 24 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I can easily get Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and even Dragon Ball in my local library (Since I'm living in a big city, the manga are located in the Main Branch at the Downtown area.) But most of the time, when I come to find the newer volumes, majority of these series were rented out, Naruto especially. As a matter of fact, no one ever touch Bleach or One Piece in my area since I saw a huge row of volumes for the series sleep.gif

You can rent books, manga, and comics? huh.gif

The way i see it, why is it worth buying the Viz English WSJ when its been edited and censored so bad? At least american comics aren't censored and worth buying to me, but that's all just my opinion and not everyone feels the same.

Edited by Uzumakikage, 24 July 2010 - 08:39 PM.

#77 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

I buy manga usually in my own country, which is basically translated directly from Japan, no errors and no fan bias.

#78 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,846 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Jul 24 2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can rent books, manga, and comics? huh.gif

No, not comics books. Graphic Novels and Manga, yes you can rent out, but never comic books. I tried searching for comic books around 8th grade in my library and that was a waste of time since they don't have comic books like Marvel, DC or even Archie on the shelves.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#79 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jul 24 2010, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I buy manga usually in my own country, which is basically translated directly from Japan, no errors and no fan bias.

Yeah, the Chinese version is practically identical to Japan and most Raws now come from a Chinese provider.

QUOTE (Derock @ Jul 24 2010, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, not comics books. Graphic Novels and Manga, yes you can rent out, but never comic books. I tried searching for comic books around 8th grade in my library and that was a waste of time since they don't have comic books like Marvel, DC or even Archie on the shelves.

Ohh, okay! sweat.gif I bet their real strict on any kind of crease or damage done to the manga.

Edited by Uzumakikage, 24 July 2010 - 09:04 PM.

#80 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Derock @ Jul 24 2010, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, that's incorrect. Quite a few libraries carry comic books. Not the actual floppies, no, but the trades that collect the comics together in book-esque format. A relatively big library several towns from me had Batman RIP and Final Crisis on their catalogue even, which were very, very recently released in trade at the time (though both were checked out at the time). Unless this is something that only happens in New York, they do carry them; they either buy them or they're donate to the libraries.

My local public library even has some, though the selection is smaller.

Even if they don't carry them, you could very likely ask to have some sent to that library for you; I believe their are catalogues for other libraries online.

Not really. At Barns and Noble I buy Manga for $10 which is not that much in terms of how much I have to pay for regular American novels.

A year or two ago manga popularity was so high they even had them in Wal-Mart; they had a lot of Naruto volumes for seven bucks a pop, even.

My Gears of War novel was the same price.

How are those anyway?

Edited by dl316bh, 24 July 2010 - 10:02 PM.

bd5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users