"They don't want none"

#503 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

For anyone who watched Teen Titans and was also confused by the last episode, please, read this. It's something I just thought up.

Spoilers, obviously --Click here to view--
As a kid, I never fully understood what happened in “Things Change”. Terra’s back? She doesn’t remember anything? What?

It’s become obvious that Terra was brought back as a side effect of everyone being un-petrified after the Trigon fight. And, by looking closely at her exp​ression as she says what she says, you can see that she does indeed remember everything. She wants to forget, to live a normal life.

But this leaves one last glaring question: Slade.

Why was Slade at the theme park that night? Why did Beast Boy encounter him? How did he know about Terra? Yes, I know it was technically one of Slade’s robots, but it was Slade talking through it, so the point still stands.

Here’s my theory:

Slade got away after the Trigon fiasco. For some reason, he decided to return to the place of his death. There’s two main possibilities as to why:

1. He noticed that everyone was un-petrified, and he thought about Terra. It’s likely that he found out about her state at some point either through Trigon or during one of his errands for Trigon. So, knowing this, he decided to go back to the cave.

2. He wanted to just visit the place because it’s where he died, and how he was sent to Trigon in the first place. How this whole thing started. Just looking for some closure, is all. This is the more likely of the two possibilities, I think.

So, for whatever reason, he returned to the cave and found that Terra’s body was missing. He decided to track her down, wherever she went (don’t ask how, he’s Slade, he would make it happen). He finds her. She freaks out. And he wants to help.

Now, why would he want to help, genuinely help? Because, again, of the business with Trigon. After that large catastrophe, after working with the Titans, Slade got tired of being the villain. He was exhausted. Dying, being reborn into slavery for a demon, teaming up with people you’ve held as your enemies for your entire life, and then fighting said demon in a fight for the entire world might do that kitten to someone. This would also explain why he wasn’t in the Brotherhood of Evil for the whole season (and you know they would have offered him a position there, come on. He’s Deathstroke, Slade Wilson, for god’s sake. He just turned them down because he didn’t want anything to do with villainy for a long while, maybe for the rest of his life).

Why would this apply to Terra? Terra was arguably the most important thing that happened in Slade’s life. I mean, she killed him, and that led to all of this. But she didn’t kill him out of nowhere: he manipulated her. He manipulated everyone, but she by far got the worst of it. He also was the closest thing to a father figure she’d ever had.

Taking all of this into consideration, Slade may have just wanted to repent. Terra didn’t want to go back to her old life, to relive painful memories (him being one of them), and Slade now had an opportunity to take a break from villainy. So, this time, he took it. He helped her live the normal life that she had never been able to have. He funded her schooling, funded everything, and just let her be, secretly watching from afar here and there.

Then, enter Beast Boy.

Slade saw Beast Boy interact with her, trying to drag her back into this old life that she had, that she didn’t want anymore, that she never truly wanted. And trying to undo Slade’s one attempt at redemption along with it. Needless to say, Slade didn’t like that. So when Beast Boy went to the theme park that one night to reminisce, Slade sent one of his robots after him. Then, they conversed, they fought, Slade lost, etc. However, let’s take a closer look at what Slade says to Beast Boy:

“Maybe she doesn’t want to remember.”

“I had nothing to do with her return.”

“I did nothing, dear boy. If the girl does not remember or does not use her powers, it is because she chooses so.”

“Don’t you see? She no longer wants to remember you.”

“You’re the one who is hurting her. Let her go.”

“She doesn’t want to see you anymore.”

Slade says that he did nothing, that if she doesn’t remember/use her powers, it’s because she doesn’t want to. Now, if he went through all of this for her, why would he say he did nothing? Simple: he couldn’t tell Beast Boy that she does remember everything and that Slade helped her. That would wreck everything. So he’s forced to lie. Everything else, though, doesn’t need to be changed.

Slade repeatedly tells Beast Boy to leave her alone because he knows it’s hurting her to see Beast Boy again. It’s hurting her that Beast Boy’s trying to pull her back into everything, back into the hero life. And, also, Beast Boy’s trying to undo the one good deed Slade has ever done, and Slade fights so that it doesn’t come undone. Because whether he’ll admit it or not, it means something to him. Terra means something to him, her happiness means something to him. It’s all he has left in his tired mindset. It’s become his one and only goal.

And that is why Beast Boy encountered Slade at the theme park, why Slade knew about Terra.

Now, again, this is just a theory. It could easily have been something the writers just threw in there for good measure. Hell, Slade’s robot could have just been Beast Boy hallucinating. But, now that this thought has come to me, I can’t let it go. I can’t let go how it justifies Slade not being in the last season, not being involved with the Brotherhood, and how it fits with everything else, including the actual theme of the episode, that things change. Specifically, the event at the theme park is the biggest sign of that. The last time they were there, Beast Boy was trying to keep Slade from dragging Terra into something she didn’t want to do, something that was hurting her. In this finale, if this theory stands, Slade’s and Beast Boy’s positions have been switched. Slade is now the one protecting Terra, while Beast Boy has unknowingly switched sides. Slade isn’t causing trouble anymore, he’s grown tired of it. People change. Positions change. Situations change. People change. Things change. That’s the whole point of the episode, and it’s only fitting that the explanation for everything that happened would fit that theme as well.

Also, if Slade's robot was just a product of Beast Boy hallucinating, that still leaves other events unexplained and with a lack of sense. How did Terra get into school? Did she just climb out of the cave, figure out how the normal world works on-the-spot, and just casually start school? Where did she get the money? Does she have a new guardian? Who would it be? How did she remove Slade's suit in the first place? It doesn't add up, which is why this theory is much more plausible than the hallucination theory. Less holes are left open, actions are justifiable, and characters are themselves.

Still, we may never know for sure what really happened in “Things Change”. We just have to do our best to guess, and to fill in the empty spaces.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 18 March 2013 - 02:28 PM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#504 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

I never watched much of Teen Titans, but that does bring up some questions about what Deathstroke did...

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#505 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

That episode has been bothering me since it came out. Only now do I think I understand just how...shockingly mature/dark the episode is, just from its implications.

AboojTi.gif

#506 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,985 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Well, be that as it may I still felt it was not elaborated on.

Edited by Phantom_999, 18 March 2013 - 10:59 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#507 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

Must have been Warner Bros. not caring to clear things up.

"They don't want none"

#508 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

AboojTi.gif

#509 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,985 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

I like Kamelot's "Center of the Universe".

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#510 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

I love that song. Hell who am I kidding, I love 99% of their songs. laugh.gif Karma has got to be my favorite right now, though.

AboojTi.gif

#511 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hope you got my message about Skype Zac. wink.gif

"They don't want none"

#512 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (Toasty Warrior @ Apr 29 2013, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hope you got my message about Skype Zac. wink.gif

Yep!

AboojTi.gif

#513 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Wow your blog has evolved into an awesome blog! *obvious pokemon pun*
Bring back the old good signature with the hen and its tie heheelq7.png

#514 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

Love the new avatar you've got Zac, it's awesome.

"They don't want none"

#515 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

QUOTE (Black Rose @ May 2 2013, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow your blog has evolved into an awesome blog! *obvious pokemon pun*
Bring back the old good signature with the hen and its tie heheelq7.png

Thank you laugh.gif And omg I forgot about that. Hen-tie. I wonder if I still have that. o_o

QUOTE (Toasty Warrior @ May 2 2013, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love the new avatar you've got Zac, it's awesome.

Thanks XD Space ducks are wonderful aren't they?

AboojTi.gif

#516 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:54 AM

Bought House of Gold & Bones, Pt. 2 by Stone Sour and Black Out the Sun by Sevendust today. That's 2 of the 3 albums I want out of the way. Now, to get Paradise Lost by Symphony X...

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 03 May 2013 - 04:55 AM.

AboojTi.gif

#517 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

Yes, they are quite the majestic creature aren't they? xD

"They don't want none"

#518 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:46 AM

May 15, 2013. Today, I graduated high school. Holy kitten.

The last 4 years have done so much to help me grow as a person. It's hard to believe just how much an impact the high school time period has had on my life. And now, it's over.

Wow.

AboojTi.gif

#519 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

Reading back the first pages of this blog is painful. What was I thinking back then?

No, really. I was kittening bad:

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Apr 21 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
I'm leaving the H&E boards. I have no use here. There's nothing I can give that isn't already here and I suppose I'm not welcome.
Sorry about that topic last night, for what the apology's worth.

Overreaction overreaction overreaction

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Mar 30 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tuesday, 3/30/10

Today was the first day I went back to school after Spring Break. My uncle passed away from prostate cancer last...Thursday night maybe? So yeah, it was a rough Spring Break. I'm packed with homework tonight... But I just got Portillos so I'm happy biggrin.gif And I'm talking to my girlfriend... DOUBLE HAPPY! biggrin.gif And my uncle passed...Not so happy arg.gif sad.gif

MY UNCLE DIED AND I MAKE A POST LIKE THIS? facepalm.png WHAT THE--ugh.
I want to see my uncle again so badly. He was one of the few real, genuine connections I had to my family besides my parents and brother, and he's gone. And after he passes, this is what I put up on here. This is what I kittening say.

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Apr 1 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thursday, 4/1/10

HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY! And Happy Birthday mom lol (seriously, today's my mom's birthday, I'm not pranking here). I'm playing Naruto Arena right now... It's sooooo fun biggrin.gif I LOVE IT X3 It's the best online game ever...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-loathing isn't healthy, I know. But for god's sake, it shocks me that I was that... that. It just shows how much these last few years in high school have changed me. And, on the night of graduation, I have to say, it feels pretty good to look back on how immature I was and point and beat the kitten out of younger self laugh. Oh yes, it's pissing me off how stupidly I talked, acted, etc. But it feels good to know that I'm not like that anymore. It feels... really, really good.

Thank you to everyone here who helped me mature over the last few years.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 16 May 2013 - 06:53 AM.

AboojTi.gif

#520 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Well, you learn from a lot of stuff Zac, and it's good to see how you mature as a person.

"They don't want none"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users