Close
Photo

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#21 Grace

Grace

I am Johnlocked. Formerly known as "Kushina".

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Jun 11 2011, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh I love KakaSaku XD Though, I've never read Snape/Hermione. I used to like Twins/Hermione a lot, since the twins were so awesome. Also would read time-turner fics about Hermione meeting the marauders :3 Crack pairings are a lot of fun~

Twins/Hermione? That sounds like it'd present an awful lot of possibilities, what with the contrast in personalities, the involvement of the rest of the Weaselys (namely Ron), etc.etc. Oh the fun that can be had with crackships XD
Snape/Hermione...appealed to me originally only because Snape's always been my favorite character, and I liked seeing him paired up with someone living--Hermione was a decent candidate to me because they're both intelligent. The more I read fics of it, the more I liked the idea of their (obviously) clashing perspectives on good/bad and life in general.
It also helps that Snape's character (being dark and angsty) and Hermione's character (being caring and noble) makes Hurt/Comfort fics reeeeeeeally easy to find >>;

Speaking of favorite characters, what about the rest of y'all? Like I mentioned, mine's always been Snape, except for when I was very young and related to Hermione.

#22 ia3

ia3

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Just weighing in my 2 cents.

I agree with MissSoupy in that we've heard a lot about James changing, and being a better person after Hogwarts but never actually see it. My feeling is that the contrast with Snape is that James grew up. He was a mean, bullying toe-rag as a teenage boy, but he was also responsible enough to be made Head Boy, cleaned up his act enough to save Snape and win Lily. He's not without his imperfections, but James to me knows what's wrong and what's right, and where the lines kind of are. To me that doesn't sound jerky, and the truth is which of us hasn't had an "enemy"?

About Snape. Yes, he finally grew up in the last book, realising he was an idiot his entire life. He's an example of what happens when you make the wrong choices in life, and give in to peer pressure. Like a smoker, or an addict, but more dangerous. He comes back to the "light" for Lily, but then he also takes out a lot of his grudges on Harry and co which, if as many of you seem to imply, he is the bigger person, he really wouldn't have done. I like Snape's character because it constantly flits between good and evil, and can't seem to decide sometimes, but I don't feel like the kind of choices he made gave him any chance at Lily. She may have fallen for him, she may not, but she was more like an older sister/mother to him than a romantic equal in my eyes.

Oh, PS: I'm a Harry Hermione fan. Rant rant rant. JK rowling. rant rant rant. I didn't like how the only way she tied all her loose ends together was to have everyone marry into the Weasley family to make them as "powerful and famous" as the Malfoys were.

Edited by ia3, 11 June 2011 - 11:10 PM.

To disgrace oneself is something a samurai should never do.

#23 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (ia3 @ Jun 11 2011, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just weighing in my 2 cents.

I agree with MissSoupy in that we've heard a lot about James changing, and being a better person after Hogwarts but never actually see it. My feeling is that the contrast with Snape is that James grew up. He was a mean, bullying toe-rag as a teenage boy, but he was also responsible enough to be made Head Boy, cleaned up his act enough to save Snape and win Lily. He's not without his imperfections, but James to me knows what's wrong and what's right, and where the lines kind of are. To me that doesn't sound jerky, and the truth is which of us hasn't had an "enemy"?

About Snape. Yes, he finally grew up in the last book, realising he was an idiot his entire life. He's an example of what happens when you make the wrong choices in life, and give in to peer pressure. Like a smoker, or an addict, but more dangerous. He comes back to the "light" for Lily, but then he also takes out a lot of his grudges on Harry and co which, if as many of you seem to imply, he is the bigger person, he really wouldn't have done. I like Snape's character because it constantly flits between good and evil, and can't seem to decide sometimes, but I don't feel like the kind of choices he made gave him any chance at Lily. She may have fallen for him, she may not, but she was more like an older sister/mother to him than a romantic equal in my eyes.

Oh, PS: I'm a Harry Hermione fan. Rant rant rant. JK rowling. rant rant rant. I didn't like how the only way she tied all her loose ends together was to have everyone marry into the Weasley family to make them as "powerful and famous" as the Malfoys were.

Wait...I'm not sure, so here's what I think you're saying: Snape's growth as a character happened only in the 7th book? Or are you just referring to it only being shown in the 7th book? 'Cause either way, I'd have to disagree.

As for Harry/Hermione, I'll throw in my two cents on it: as far as canon pairings go, I'd have much rather seen Harry end up with either Hermione or Luna. Not because I saw any development leading that way (at least, not with Hermione), but because I think either of those pairings would have been more beneficial to the characters involved, emotionally and...long-term, I guess (not sure how to describe it).

About the Weasleys, I don't see how she made them as powerful and famous as the Malfoys were just by having people marry into them. The Weasleys were already well-known for being a pureblooded family that vehemently supported Muggles. They were also already well-known for being friends/surrogates to Harry. If anything, Rowling had continuously made a contrast between the Weasleys and the Malfoys via their attitudes in regards to their own standings in society and their views of those around them; that's clearest when the Malfoys receive redemption in the last book by finally (genuinely?) putting their family above their duties to Voldemort, much like how the Weasleys had always put the most value on family than their status as purebloods or anything else.
I'm guessing the "powerful and famous" marriages you refer to were Harry and Fleur, but...other than those two, there really wasn't much else. And as I said already, Harry was kind of already an honorary Weasley, same for Hermione, so...I don't think him marrying Ginny had too much more of an impact on the power levels or social standings of the Weasleys. As for Fleur, she wasn't really famous so much as just....really pretty and exotic, I thought. Her hubby Bill was always portrayed as more of a badass than she was, in my opinion.

#24 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:38 PM

Favourite charry = Hermoine

Intelligent, caring, underestimates her own good looks, strong-willed, independent. Her character is a lot like Sakura's. I'm always drawn to strong and compassionate female characters like them =3

Prolly why characters like Hinata annoy me >.>

#25 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jun 11 2011, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Twins/Hermione? That sounds like it'd present an awful lot of possibilities, what with the contrast in personalities, the involvement of the rest of the Weaselys (namely Ron), etc.etc.

The only problem I found with Hermione pairings was they usually ended up making Ron into a horrible person somehow, as if to justify Hermione not being with him. Some people made him seem down right villainous and breaking her heart completely. Since I'm a huge supporter of the three heroes, it was hard seeing the Harry/Hermione/Ron dynamic messed with.

But yeah, the twins were just so fun, mixed with Hermione's more strict personality...a lot of fun abounds as the twins crack open her shell :3

Hermione was always my favorite character.

#26 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Jun 11 2011, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem I found with Hermione pairings was they usually ended up making Ron into a horrible person somehow, as if to justify Hermione not being with him. Some people made him seem down right villainous and breaking her heart completely. Since I'm a huge supporter of the three heroes, it was hard seeing the Harry/Hermione/Ron dynamic messed with.

But yeah, the twins were just so fun, mixed with Hermione's more strict personality...a lot of fun abounds as the twins crack open her shell :3

Hermione was always my favorite character.

Hunh, surprisingly I've never come across a fic that did that--the ones I've read either made their romance slowly deteriorate realistically, or have them both agree to break it off while he ends up with someone else that makes him happy (Susan Bones is usually a popular choice in Snape/Hermione fics for some reason). The most drastic way to get him out of the picture I've seen is to have him drop dead, but even then it's done nicely...

@Soupy and Sakura--I like Hermione for those reasons as well, but as I grew older she seemed to lose appeal for me. *shrug* Not sure why, but more quirky characters caught my attention, like Luna. I think it may have been that her interactions with Ron bugged me, and since there's a lot of that...

#27 ia3

ia3

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jun 12 2011, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait...I'm not sure, so here's what I think you're saying: Snape's growth as a character happened only in the 7th book? Or are you just referring to it only being shown in the 7th book? 'Cause either way, I'd have to disagree.

As for Harry/Hermione, I'll throw in my two cents on it: as far as canon pairings go, I'd have much rather seen Harry end up with either Hermione or Luna. Not because I saw any development leading that way (at least, not with Hermione), but because I think either of those pairings would have been more beneficial to the characters involved, emotionally and...long-term, I guess (not sure how to describe it).

About the Weasleys, I don't see how she made them as powerful and famous as the Malfoys were just by having people marry into them. The Weasleys were already well-known for being a pureblooded family that vehemently supported Muggles. They were also already well-known for being friends/surrogates to Harry. If anything, Rowling had continuously made a contrast between the Weasleys and the Malfoys via their attitudes in regards to their own standings in society and their views of those around them; that's clearest when the Malfoys receive redemption in the last book by finally (genuinely?) putting their family above their duties to Voldemort, much like how the Weasleys had always put the most value on family than their status as purebloods or anything else.
I'm guessing the "powerful and famous" marriages you refer to were Harry and Fleur, but...other than those two, there really wasn't much else. And as I said already, Harry was kind of already an honorary Weasley, same for Hermione, so...I don't think him marrying Ginny had too much more of an impact on the power levels or social standings of the Weasleys. As for Fleur, she wasn't really famous so much as just....really pretty and exotic, I thought. Her hubby Bill was always portrayed as more of a badass than she was, in my opinion.

First point. I agree that Snape's had development throughout the series, but I think what I'm trying to say is that the culmination of his growth was only really explained in the 7th book, and also to me it felt like before that he was always dithering, happy that he has options and not actually making a choice. But not too sure what exactly you disagree with.

I think i get what you're saying about Harry and Hermione/Luna. I agree that these would probably have been the most constructive, real world type relationships which could have resulted from their school days. I think Rowling opted for the easy way out..taking the fairytale-ish ending.

My point with the Weasleys was that again, it's a fairytale type scenario where everyone in the story is now part of the one big happy family picture. Yes, Harry and Hermione are honorary Weasleys, but she couldn't really put them together because this would probably disrupt the whole Weasley balance. I'm not explaining this very well, but to me she portrays the Weasleys like the unassuming kid who somehow seems to get everything right and something about that just bugs me.

#28 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE (ia3 @ Jun 11 2011, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First point. I agree that Snape's had development throughout the series, but I think what I'm trying to say is that the culmination of his growth was only really explained in the 7th book, and also to me it felt like before that he was always dithering, happy that he has options and not actually making a choice. But not too sure what exactly you disagree with.

I guess what I'd disagree with is the idea that his growth can't be seen elsewhere; just because it isn't showcased doesn't mean it isn't there. Or rather, I think I disagree with something you mentioned in your first post: that Snape's "constantly flitting between good and evil, unable to decide". He was never indecisive about which side he was on, he was always on the side of good playing a bad guy for the sake of good, and that much was evident from as far back as the first book with the Sorcerer's Stone. I think I'm getting your view wrong, but I somehow get the vibe that you consider him a somewhat stagnant character that only reached a resolution in the final book.

I think i get what you're saying about Harry and Hermione/Luna. I agree that these would probably have been the most constructive, real world type relationships which could have resulted from their school days. I think Rowling opted for the easy way out..taking the fairytale-ish ending.

Yes, real-world would be a good way to describe it. Also, I think compatibility is a big factor for me. I mean, yes it's not necessary that every fiction couple end up with their perfect match, and it can be argued that Harry and Ginny get on well together, but I never really got the feeling that their relationship was based on anything more than warm fuzzies for each other and being around each other all the time. When Harry and Luna interacted, Harry's perspective on various things was pushed, and he was out of his usual comfort-zone due to her personality being so different from those usually around him. Luna was able to relate to Harry because of not having a mother and knowing death, and offered a wise--and adorably quirky--voice for him to have near him. *shrug* It seemed to me like whenever they were around, Luna would help calm Harry down while amusing him (which was nice, since during the last few books he had become so much more emotional and angry).

....[/ramblin] XD;;

My point with the Weasleys was that again, it's a fairytale type scenario where everyone in the story is now part of the one big happy family picture. Yes, Harry and Hermione are honorary Weasleys, but she couldn't really put them together because this would probably disrupt the whole Weasley balance. I'm not explaining this very well, but to me she portrays the Weasleys like the unassuming kid who somehow seems to get everything right and something about that just bugs me.

I never really saw that, though. They were just a warm family that ran on love and morals--two themes that run rampant in the series. They had their share of issues, from being looked down on by other wizarding families for sympathizing with Muggles, to being outright poor. Not to mention that by the end of the series they'd lost at least one child, had another with a blown-off ear, and had another with horrible scars on his face from a werewolf. They had one son that was estranged throughout most of the series, and at one point the patriarch was in the hospital from a snake attack. They were generally portrayed as a bright, wonderful family, yes, but it's not like they had absolutely everything or never once suffered at all.
When you say, "couldn't put them together because it would disrupt the Weasley balance", you're meaning Rowling couldn't have paired off Harry and Hermione without disrupting the Weasley family? I'm not really sure how that follows... It's not like they'd have been kicked out of the clan for not marrying into it.

Whew boy, I'd forgotten just how much I liked discussing Harry Potter--I used to do it all the time when the books were still coming out. Good times, good times <3

#29 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jun 11 2011, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I basically ignored Harry Potter and the general crazy hype that surrounded it until the 4th book came out. Read all 4 books, read the 5th when it came out, and then stopped there. Couldn't really stomach anymore after that >.>

The writing in books 1-3 was kind of stilted to me. I just couldn't get into them. Her writing improved enough in book Goblet of Fire that I completed the book- but just skimmed through chapters of the books that were dull (mostly in the middle of the book). Order of the Phoenix was the first one I read all the way through with minimal skimming, Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows I actually enjoyed. Snape was actually the most engaging character to me, and the stronger his role got the more interesting the story got. Ron was the least likeable character to me. (and my sister as well. My sister heartedly dislikes him, she sees him as the sort of guy who'd cheat on Hermoine with some hot looking younger woman... I don't go quite that far, but Rowling sure did her best to make Ron look bad in books 6 and 7, and undermines the character so much that way that it makes Hermoine look kind of dumb for choosing him, it just doesn't come across that Ron loves Hermoine, the kissing scene in book 7 just seems forced after how much Rowling has undermined the character. And while I didn't really see the possibility being outright being built up before the Harry and Hermoine camping trip months alone (especially after Ron's imagining them having a relationship) Rowling does kind of do a real swing in that direction at that point... I knew Rowling wasn't going that way but thought it was a bad move to make Ron such an ass and lay what looked like real groundwork for HarryxHermoine in book 7. Ginny's Mary-Sueing got really bad in book 7 as well. I felt bad for all the younger readers who would have been sucked into shipping HarryxHermoine when Rowling not only builds the foundation but makes HarryxHermoine more interesting in book 7 than RonxHermoine and HarryxGinny.

Shauna, if you were reading DracoxHermoine and reading that into it, you should seriously watch seasons 4-7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Spike and Buffy start off like that and gradually (it's faster for Spike) fall in love. (Faith was able to tell by the second half of season 4 that Spike was intensely attracted to Buffy, she uses that to majorly sexually frustrate Spike, and he has a really hot BuffyxSpike dream at the season 5 beginning where they are getting it on and he confesses his love to her- then wakes up in cold sweat. laugh.gif By the end of season 5 he's hopelessly in love with Buffy. Buffy refuses to see it but she's fallen in love with Spike in season 6- she does tell him that he's the only one "that makes her feel alive" but she tells him that she's just using him, but that's actually a lie to herself. We see that when she breaks them up and not only is Spike looking at her longingly, but she's looking at him longingly. She finally realizes her feelings in season 7 and even confesses but Spike doesn't believe her at the moment (later he does- after they are separated by thousands of miles) Whedon does leave the hint that they will eventually find each other again, and even given all her choices, she will pick Spike over everyone else in the end. Whedon's not going to write that scene out unfortunately, he dislikes even semi-happy romantic endings, so all we are left with in that fandom is the lines that hint at it. He's outright told fanfic writers to have at it though.

Whedon is the only western writer I know of besides Gene Roddenberry who enthusiastically endorsed fanfic (Roddenberry even moreso- he outright hired a number of those early Star Trek fanfic writers to do Star Trek tie in novels and even write episodes for the animated Star Trek show and later for Next Generation.

That ass (Rick Berman) that Paramount had take over the franchise- as Roddenberry's health was failing in 1990 started policies that made things unwelcoming for fanfic and even the tie in novelists and script writers- he nearly killed Trek... (and many novel and script writers have recounted horror stories of dealing Berman and his ridiculous policies- including former Trek director Piller- who had been picked as a writer/director by Roddenberry, and Roddenbery's own son Rod- who worked as a production assistant on Next Generation- where he came to love his father's work- enough so that years later he became executive consultant on the near professional internet fan production of Star Trek: Phase II. The series was so loved by original Trek actors George Takai and Walter Koenig to make guest starring appearances as their characters- it was basically a continuation of the original Trek series starting in what would have been the 4th year... Rod's involvement protected it from Berman's direct harassment. Same goes for the similar but set in Next Generation time period Hidden Frontier, Odyssey, and Helena Chronicles. Rod didn't act as an executive consultant for those, but he openly endorsed it over the Paramount productions. ) Berman finally walked away in 2006, probably the most loathed executive producer ever. The Star Trek revamp movie is the first Trek project since 1992 that wasn't made completely under his control. Notably, it was more successful than most of the Berman era Trek films.... (Excepting First Contact- the best of the Next Generation films) And yes, while not a Trekkie, I am a Trekker (the milder, saner wink.gif version of enthusiastic Trek fans, to me Next Generation was the best series- the most true to the philosophy Roddenberry wanted to express, and even Roddenberry's son Rod agreed with me- we chatted at Dragoncon 2009 and I commented that and Rod enthusiastically agreed with me, He didn't care for Deep Space Nine or Enterprise- He laughed when I told him my sister's nickname for DSN was Deep Sleep Nine. He and I both thought Voyager was okay- mostly true to Trek but needed a bit tighter a focus, the last season was the best. Rod really likes the fans, he made a nicer version of the "Trekkies" documentary called "Trek Nation" that he showed clips of at Dragoncon 2009.

Heh, sorry about the way wandering from Harry Potter... I kind of went off on a tangent and then my southern mentality took over and started talking about all kinds of stuff that vaguely connect in some fashion... wink.gif (we southerners are well known for doing this, it even shows up in our literature... Goodness knows I see it in my fanfic too. laugh.gif (and my older ones- GambitxRogue from X-men comics are even moreso like that- 1) I was younger (1st fics written in early 1993 when I was still 26 years old) and 2)the characters were southern too so I saw no need to alter my regional style at all...

Edited by ciardha, 12 June 2011 - 02:37 AM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#30 ia3

ia3

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jun 12 2011, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, real-world would be a good way to describe it. Also, I think compatibility is a big factor for me. I mean, yes it's not necessary that every fiction couple end up with their perfect match, and it can be argued that Harry and Ginny get on well together, but I never really got the feeling that their relationship was based on anything more than warm fuzzies for each other and being around each other all the time. When Harry and Luna interacted, Harry's perspective on various things was pushed, and he was out of his usual comfort-zone due to her personality being so different from those usually around him. Luna was able to relate to Harry because of not having a mother and knowing death, and offered a wise--and adorably quirky--voice for him to have near him. *shrug* It seemed to me like whenever they were around, Luna would help calm Harry down while amusing him (which was nice, since during the last few books he had become so much more emotional and angry).

....[/ramblin] XD;;

Oh! I love the way you put it about Harry/Luna. I've never thought about it that way before but definitely now I do smile.gif *mind blown*

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jun 12 2011, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never really saw that, though. They were just a warm family that ran on love and morals--two themes that run rampant in the series. They had their share of issues, from being looked down on by other wizarding families for sympathizing with Muggles, to being outright poor. Not to mention that by the end of the series they'd lost at least one child, had another with a blown-off ear, and had another with horrible scars on his face from a werewolf. They had one son that was estranged throughout most of the series, and at one point the patriarch was in the hospital from a snake attack. They were generally portrayed as a bright, wonderful family, yes, but it's not like they had absolutely everything or never once suffered at all.
When you say, "couldn't put them together because it would disrupt the Weasley balance", you're meaning Rowling couldn't have paired off Harry and Hermione without disrupting the Weasley family? I'm not really sure how that follows... It's not like they'd have been kicked out of the clan for not marrying into it.

Whew boy, I'd forgotten just how much I liked discussing Harry Potter--I used to do it all the time when the books were still coming out. Good times, good times <3

Haha, I wasn't that big of a fan of the younger Weasleys and Charlie never quite interacted more than to be a cameo here and there, but when you put it like that I have to concede that the Weasleys were quite a cool family. I still feel that if Harry and Hermione got together, they wouldn't be quite as much a part of the Weasey family harmony as they ended up being though. It would still feel like they were honorary members, but apart.

My ramble is that Hermione is someone who really understands Harry and isn't afraid to tell him off, to take him down or to do what's right by him. I don't really see that in Ginny, and I would think that she challenges him much more than Ginny would, and Harry's able to rise to the challenge more ably than Ron. I think that's what a relationship should be, and it shows in my shipping!

And oh I do agree. It's been a long time since anyone's talked about Harry Potter! Can't wait for the last movie, but also I wonder about the epilogue. How do they find kids that look like the (now older) cast??

#31 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

My crackship was Draco/Ginny. There was very very little supporting evidence in canon (read: none) for this pairing, but for me it was the whole Romeo and Juliet aspect that made the pairing so attractive. The Malfoys and the Weasleys were as close to Montegues and Capulets as any families in the wizarding world; each with their own equal but different levels of power and sphere of influence. (The Malfoys had the money and the status, but the Weasleys made up for it with sheer numbers and by having sons scattered across various ministries. Rowling never goes into how big their extended family is, but I bet if we started counting cousins, aunts, and uncles, we'd start approaching triple digits.)

I wanted Draco to be redeemed as a character. I wanted him to realize what he had done was wrong on his own, and mature, to escape the trappings of arrogance and hatred that bound his father and mother and made them so unlikeable. I'm pretty upset at Rowling for not doing that. (And I guess that's why I'm still crossing my fingers for a last minute Sasuke redemption too, even if he doesn't survive the manga.) The most logical catalyst for such an earth-shattering change of world view would have been a woman, and the most forbidden wizard woman of all to his family? A Weasley.

I suppose one could argue that Rowling has sold millions and millions of books and I've sold exactly 0 (although I'm trying very hard to change that), her interpretation of her own characters is better from an authorial perspective than mine. I still think she gave Draco a rotten deal, though.

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#32 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (ia3 @ Jun 12 2011, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And oh I do agree. It's been a long time since anyone's talked about Harry Potter! Can't wait for the last movie, but also I wonder about the epilogue. How do they find kids that look like the (now older) cast??

There's some spoiler pics floating around the internet.... just google:
deathly hallows part 2 epilogue children
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#33 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

http://byxbuzz.blogs...ows-part-2.html

You're welcome cool.gif

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 12 June 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#34 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (ia3 @ Jun 12 2011, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh! I love the way you put it about Harry/Luna. I've never thought about it that way before but definitely now I do smile.gif *mind blown*

Haha, thanks XD It'd always just struck me as very interesting and comfortable when it came to reading a bit with them together, and I would find myself thinking, "Oh boo, they're done talking.... When do they meet each other again?"

Haha, I wasn't that big of a fan of the younger Weasleys and Charlie never quite interacted more than to be a cameo here and there, but when you put it like that I have to concede that the Weasleys were quite a cool family. I still feel that if Harry and Hermione got together, they wouldn't be quite as much a part of the Weasey family harmony as they ended up being though. It would still feel like they were honorary members, but apart.

I can agree with that, though I wonder if maybe it would be such a bad thing for them to become their own family apart from the Weasleys while still remaining close. It'd given them the chance to, well, leave their surrogate nest lol.

My ramble is that Hermione is someone who really understands Harry and isn't afraid to tell him off, to take him down or to do what's right by him. I don't really see that in Ginny, and I would think that she challenges him much more than Ginny would, and Harry's able to rise to the challenge more ably than Ron. I think that's what a relationship should be, and it shows in my shipping!

Exactly! I've never exactly been a Harry/Hermione shipper per se, but I've always held a candle for it for these reasons--and because as an eight year old reading the first book I'd decided they should get together for no real reason XD Aaah, young hope is fun~

@Catwho--That's quite an interesting look at Draco/Ginny! I'd never really looked at it from such a grand scale, but it certainly fits. I'd always found it appealing more because of their personalities and the idea of Ginny's strong but easy-going character changing and challenging Draco (along the vein of what you mentioned, but without the attention to their families), while allowing for some great snarky banter.

I've gotta admit, I'm drawing a blank on Draco's resolution in the last book. I can only seem to recall when he was in the Room of Requirement with Harry, who was looking for the diadem of Ravenclaw, and then in the epilogue when he gave Harry his little nod... Oh, and the moment in the middle of the final book when he was supposed to identify Harry (who had been captured along with Hermione and Ron and brought the Malfoy Manor), but seemed to shy away from it saying, "It could be...", or something to that effect.

#35 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Catwho @ Jun 12 2011, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rowling never goes into how big their extended family is, but I bet if we started counting cousins, aunts, and uncles, we'd start approaching triple digits.)

It's stated all the pureblood families are related and indeed Molly, Arthur and James have ancestors or cousins that are from the Black family, which is also related to the Malfoy family....

#36 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jun 12 2011, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's stated all the pureblood families are related and indeed Molly, Arthur and James have ancestors or cousins that are from the Black family, which is also related to the Malfoy family....

I think she was referring to Weasleys alone, though--it's been alluded to in the books that the just-Weasley clan (connected families with different surnames barred) is generously sized: "Another Weasley? You breed like gnomes." (from Deathly Hallows), for example. *shrug*

This marvelously nerdy thread seems to be waning... Here's an appropriately nerdy question: which Hogwarts House do you think you'd belong to, and why? It's kind of always been a dork-love of mine to consider what exactly lands you in which House. There have been a couple different examples throughout the books of people that could have been placed in one House, but ended up in another because of one particular trait standing out.

Harry's the most pronounced example in the books, having been placed in Gryffindor when he could have done well as a Slytherin. Hermione, though, is the one that has always caught my attention. One of her most acknowledged traits is her intelligence, as well as her creativity in using said smarts (attack canaries, anyone?). She'd be a shoe-in for Ravenclaw then, or perhaps Hufflepuff seeing as she's so hard-working and loyal. Yet it's Gryffindor she's placed in. I can think of a few different reasons why, but I'm trying to stimulate conversation wink.gif

#37 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

It's quite obvious, despite Hermione's obvious intelligence, she possess a tenacity to act out when she believes something is wrong, such as Umbridge. Sure, she's smart, but this is a girl who stuck by Harry throughout his adventures, that requires more than being a mere bookworm.

#38 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Jun 15 2011, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's quite obvious, despite Hermione's obvious intelligence, she possess a tenacity to act out when she believes something is wrong, such as Umbridge. Sure, she's smart, but this is a girl who stuck by Harry throughout his adventures, that requires more than being a mere bookworm.

But there are other characters that do the same, despite not being in/from Gryffindor =/

As for sticking by Harry, that would count as loyalty--a trait associated with Hufflepuff. Granted, you can argue that there's bravery required for sticking with Harry specifically since he's always attracting trouble, but again it can count as being part of her loyalty to him as a friend trumping the fear of threats that being around him poses.

About her being a "mere bookworm", if that's what it seems I was implying she is, I'll correct myself here: I'm saying that she's definitely not just a bookworm, but that it is her intelligence and ability to put her knowledge to use that's constantly high-lighted and complimented. The point I'm digging at, and hoping to discuss, is why it is that her "tenacity to act out when she believes something is wrong" (as you nicely worded it) alone gets her into Gryffindor when by all accounts it seems that her smarts are the more show-cased aspects of her character, followed closely by her loyalty and caring heart--which as I've mentioned, fall into Hufflepuff territory more than Gryffindor.

[/devil's advocate]

Like I mentioned before, I've already worked out an answer for myself on why I think it is, but I'm hoping for some other thoughts on why certain traits are stressed (such as her wits) when there are other traits not as stressed that got her into Gryffindor.

Btw: here's a decent-ish Sorting test, for those interested in taking one.

#39 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

I saw this video and just had to post it here biggrin.gif

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#40 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jun 15 2011, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for sticking by Harry, that would count as loyalty--a trait associated with Hufflepuff. Granted, you can argue that there's bravery required for sticking with Harry specifically since he's always attracting trouble, but again it can count as being part of her loyalty to him as a friend trumping the fear of threats that being around him poses.

About her being a "mere bookworm", if that's what it seems I was implying she is, I'll correct myself here: I'm saying that she's definitely not just a bookworm, but that it is her intelligence and ability to put her knowledge to use that's constantly high-lighted and complimented. The point I'm digging at, and hoping to discuss, is why it is that her "tenacity to act out when she believes something is wrong" (as you nicely worded it) alone gets her into Gryffindor when by all accounts it seems that her smarts are the more show-cased aspects of her character, followed closely by her loyalty and caring heart--which as I've mentioned, fall into Hufflepuff territory more than Gryffindor.

Oooo Hermione discussion XD fun.

You do bring up good points, though I tend to think Hermione for one is not following Harry solely out of loyalty, but also because she believes in the cause. Obviously she is smart and she does not just side with Harry because he wants her to, as shown by her disagreeing with him many a time. She sticks up for her opinion, giving her that know-it-all quality that is somehow endearing.

Still, she does seem to have more of a Ravenclaw personality beyond that, but given the Sorting Hats ability to take a persons desires into consideration, I'm guessing she must have desired bravery. If she held great value for bravery and courage, I think the Sorting Hat would have pushed her towards Gryfindor instead.

On another note... IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!! DDDDDD:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users