shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jun 8 2010, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif Reminds me of the hue and cry back in the mid-late 80's about Japanese language courses- in colleges and universities. (back when I took my two years of Japanese at my local university) It was "OMG WWII, Pearl Harbor, etc...!!!" I just rolled my eyes and ignored all that whinging by WWII era adults and older people. (Strange how those same people weren't making a hue and cry about kids learning German- in high school even. No shouts about how that would turn kids into Nazis, etc... And yes I am implying there was some racism behind the non reaction to high school German language courses, college German and Italian language courses, but freaking out about college Japanese language courses.)

We had a discussion about that in my AP US History class because of the huge, HUGE propaganda depicting the Japanese as deformed individuals who would kill and kill, etc. during WWII. We discovered that unlike the Japanese, the Germans were still white, seeing as a lot of people came from Europe. Japan is different, different culture, different part of the world. Despite the fascist evil, Germans and Italians were seen as misguided and must be placed back on track, by force if necessary.

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 09 June 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#22 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

Just watch Band of Brothers and then The Pacific, two very different wars in one. The veterans still feel the scars, I'm not surprised the WWII era would still harbor ill feelings.

#23 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jun 9 2010, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just watch Band of Brothers and then The Pacific, two very different wars in one. The veterans still feel the scars, I'm not surprised the WWII era would still harbor ill feelings.

It's not the Japanese that's feeling the brunt of hatred here, it's the Chinese. I was using the anti-Japanese propaganda in WWII to illustrate that there were always more hatred against the East than Europe. As the Daily Show video shows, how come no one protests on the teaching of German to students? It's probably because the Chinese government has funded the school to teach the class and there are paranoia that Communists are 'once again threatening capitalists....' That kind of sentiment should've really just stayed in the McCarthy era and not when we're a much more globally interactive world.....

#24 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard come out of some news. facepalm.png

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#25 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:08 AM

Lol, excuse me people, i'm German and Italian! XD I couldn't learn Chinese if I tried - I mean, i'm just barely passing Spanish with my 96 grade average! Lmao XP

Edited by ShippudenGirl, 10 June 2010 - 12:08 AM.

#26 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Jun 9 2010, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not the Japanese that's feeling the brunt of hatred here, it's the Chinese. I was using the anti-Japanese propaganda in WWII to illustrate that there were always more hatred against the East than Europe. As the Daily Show video shows, how come no one protests on the teaching of German to students? It's probably because the Chinese government has funded the school to teach the class and there are paranoia that Communists are 'once again threatening capitalists....' That kind of sentiment should've really just stayed in the McCarthy era and not when we're a much more globally interactive world.....

I loved that episode. I know this is about the Chinese I thought we were talking about a topic within a topic. History is touchy when it comes to China and the West.

Edited by Insurrection, 10 June 2010 - 02:45 AM.

#27 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:56 AM

I think this shows the bad effect of stereotyping. For so long, China is the epitome of communism, that much is a truth, but the problem is that many people is still having problem accepting that the country is increasingly become internationally conscious after being so cut off for so long. This is also strengthen by the stereotype that eastern countries are "inferior" to western country with (maybe) the exception of Japan. Its not exactly a new thing to happen and certainly not uncommon.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#28 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jun 9 2010, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
History is touchy when it comes to China and the West.

Especially after the Qing dynasty. The European powers along with Japan and the US trashing the country? Yeah.

#29 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jun 10 2010, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Especially after the Qing dynasty. The European powers along with Japan and the US trashing the country? Yeah.

I just do what comes naturally basic in these situations. Blame the British Empire.

#30 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jun 10 2010, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just do what comes naturally basic in these situations. Blame the British Empire.

Addicting China to Opium? And then starting a war over it when the Chinese tried to ban it? Ouch.

That and that fact that the leadership at the time told the British to f-off? Mmmmmmmm....

Yeah, it was a chaotic period.

#31 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:31 AM

Good Times...Good Times. tongue.gif

#32 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jun 10 2010, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Addicting China to Opium? And then starting a war over it when the Chinese tried to ban it? Ouch.

That and that fact that the leadership at the time told the British to f-off? Mmmmmmmm....

Yeah, it was a chaotic period.

Yes, I actually had to prevent myself from laughing loudly when I watched the ending of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. If you don't know how it ends:
Alice in Wonderland ending --Click here to view--
Alice, a British, fulfills her father's dream of opening a trade route to China.
And History happens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users