• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

This thread. I like it. I want to say thanks to contributors because now Im going to watch alot of the shows that Ive missed before such as Orange Road

Great. I am happy of I have encouraged you to watch one of my favorite shows. It has comedy, romance (it has one of the love triangeles defined the trope in anime), action, and endearing characters.

Personally I also recommend starting with the anime. In order to prevent possible confusions, the anime is 48-episodes long, and it was followed by several ovas and a movie concluded the story (Ano Hi Ni Kaeritai). Later it was produced another movie (Shin Kimagure Orange Road showed the characters several years after. There are also at least three novels, but that is another story...

The manga features a poorer art (although it greatly improves), but the characters are more fleshed out, and there are many stories were not adapted in anime. And IMO, the manga ending (which is very different of the anime ending) is way better. I was particularly impressed with Hikaru. Through the entire story she had seemed naive and inmature -even a bit kiddy-, but in the ending she showed she was way more mature and more forgiving than nobody -not even her best friends- had previously credited her...

The anime can be watched online here:

http://www.animeulti...-dubbed-online/

The Ovas:

http://www.animeseas...range-road-ova/

And the first movie here:

http://eyeonanime.co...hi-ni-kaeritai/

Shin Kimagure Orange Road here:

http://eyeonanime.co...su-no-hajimari/

And the manga:

http://mangafox.me/m...re_orange_road/

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#22 Superman333

Superman333

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:getting the girl of my dreams to be mine(she is the Sakura-Chan of my life) ,Sonic the Hedgehog, making it to the NBA and being a better Point Guard than Rajon Rondo and then when I retire be a mangaka .

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:21 AM

Sakura-Chan

Misty

Amy Rose, she is one too a mild one but she is still a tsundere and she is my favorite.

Sango from Inuyasha

Edited by Superman333, 25 November 2013 - 04:35 AM.

Posted Image

#23 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

I like Kagome from Inuyasha, and... That's about it. Truthfully, I find the tsundere stereotype to overused and trite.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#24 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

I like Kagome from Inuyasha, and... That's about it. Truthfully, I find the tsundere stereotype to overused and trite.

Honestly, it is not more overused and trite than any other trope. Absolutely all cliches you can possibly think of have been used and overused, subverted, averted, inverted, parodied, deconstructed and reconstructed countless times over. Even if you are trying to avoid to use a cliche on a story, it only means you are using another instead.

And then you have what in tvtropes call Trope Decay and Follow the Leader. Combined, those are the bane of all trope.Essentially it happens when a trope is sucessful, a lot of people copies it with no understanding of it, and the trope degrades with the time.

The tsundere cliche is a good example: the basic trope is "character has both a harsh and a soft side". Back in the seventies when it started gaining traction and popularity, it felt fresh compared with the softer portrayals of female characters were the norm back then.

Now most people thinks the basic trope is "hot-tempered, violent woman hit men". Why? Because the trope became popular and many anime and manga works included it. Unfortunately most of them had no understanding of the trope. The point of the tsundere character is that: she (when it was a "she") was mostly good-natured, but was surrounded by jerks tried her patience, and since she was no one's doormat, she did not brook bullying or mistreatment; or she acted cold or bad-tempered due to emotional issues and life troubles.

However many people liked the trope and included it in their works missed that important point, and their tsunderes were just violent women are frightened of their feelings for no reason and hit their love interests because... because they are tsunderes and that is what tsunderes do. No explanation needed.

The outcome of that trope misuse is a lot of people has got tired of that trope.

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#25 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Winry Rockbell...why? - FMA

She hits with a fricking wrench, that's why.

Kurama - Naruto

Come on...if the Nine tails was a female...she would make the world's biggest Tsundere....I didn't wanted to share room with a toad...seriously doesn't get more Tsunderish than that.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#26 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:45 AM

@Jenskott I disagree that it's not any more overused than any other stereotype. In almost EVERY anime I have come across, there's tsundere character. It's not funny anymore. It just seems to me that anime writers want to write a female character, but don't want to any, you know, EFFORT into writing a strong, believable character, so they just create this chick whose only defining characteristic is punching the male lead when her boob gets touched. Just ugh.

Oh, and TvTropes FTW.

#27 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

@Jenskott I disagree that it's not any more overused than any other stereotype. In almost EVERY anime I have come across, there's tsundere character. It's not funny anymore.

And in almost EVERY anime I have come across, there is a character is an idiot hero. And another character is a cool, calm rival. And another character is the voice of the reason. And another character is a bubbly, over-energetic young girl. And another character is a mentor of sorts. And another character is the butt monkey. And another character is a villain loves gloating or remain calm and collected but loses it when he or she gets hurt. And the mercenary character makes anything for money. And the jerkass is not a bad person deep-down. And the selfless hero. And the young kid pesters the remainder characters with opinions nobody asked for. And the young kid seems the only reasonable person in the entire show. And...

I do not know for how long you have been an anime fan -not that I would ask because obviously it is none of my business-. I have been watching anime since the eighties. I also like checking anime shows of all decades. Sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties... it does not matter. Do you know HOW MANY TIMES I have found each stereotype of that list above?

I am sorry but no, tsunderes are not more overused than any other stereotype.

Honestly, I do not care anymore for something being a stereotype I have already seen before. I care about its EXECUTION.

It just seems to me that anime writers want to write a female character, but don't want to any, you know, EFFORT into writing a strong, believable character, so they just create this chick whose only defining characteristic is punching the male lead when her boob gets touched. Just ugh.

That is exactly what I said in my earlier post.

Tropes are not bad. Execution may be bad.

The trouble is not the trope is bad and overused. The trouble is it had been -and it is being- poorly used. A tsundere character can be written like a strong, believable character, but writers can not -or want not- create it, so they resort to write it like a bad-tempered woman hits men. That is NOT what the trope was; it is what the trope has degenerated into after many years os being mistreated.

Anyway, getting your boobs touched is sexual harassment, and reacting badly is understandable. If we are to generalize and condemn the tsundere because she is violent (with no regard for the circumstances. So what if in that scene he WANTED to grope her and not cared about her opinion at the matter or had deluded himself into believing that she wanted to be molested?), then we must condemn the main character because he is a pervert creep, a stalker or a leech (with no regard for the circumstances. So what if it was an accident and/or a misunderstanding and he did not mean it?). But we would be bringing reality into fiction and it is better to not go there.

#28 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

@Jenskott You do make a fair point with the first part, but with the sexual harassment thing, well, of course, in reality, that would be a serious issue, but I was just offhandedly referring it to a common, also overused scenario associated with tsunderes. I wasn't condemning her for reacting violently, I was condemning writers for using that same exact joke over and over and over. But, anyway, we seem to be in agreement here, for the most part.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users