Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Sep 9 2008, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For you information Michael, Fanbase don't need logic. Plain and simple

That's very true, although I agree with him on the relationship thing, you have to take what BlackLightning said into account Michael, that is why it is called fanfiction, fiction is made up, illogical crap, which is a good reason why general fanboys/fangirls don't mix well.

#22 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:15 AM

The only harem series I can say that I ever truly liked, was 'Love Hina'.

I do not like harems in fanfiction at all, as they are all generally done terribly, and all that the females ever seem to do in them, is to constantly throw themselves at just one usually overly perverted guy, getting into daily sometimes vicious catfights and wars with each other, and I just really don't like them very much.

#23 Vicious

Vicious

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:15 AM

That's very true, although I agree with him on the relationship thing, you have to take what BlackLightning said into account Michael, that is why it is called fanfiction, fiction is made up, illogical crap, which is a good reason why general fanboys/fangirls don't mix well.

I know what a fiction is, I was... erm just explaining things for those of us hovering around the in betweens. And I forgive fangirls completely for writing yaoi's they like guy on guy and most of us like girl on girl, only thing I will never forgive them for is male pregnancies... ever... why? That is the most unlogical thing out of them all and just completely obsurd. Oh great! Now I'm thinking massive guy harems with Male pregnancies, I can't imagine anything worse than this than to make you suffer because now you're thinking it because I just said it to you, thats what you get for making me think about that. Enjoy your big yaoi mpreg harems.
The Righteous are humiliated and perish, the strong are weakened and beaten, lovers become wretches to all and the other, the innocent are forsaken and dismissed, and the shattered are left broken... such is the cause of evil and contempt... contempt for what others are not, contempt for their own weaknesses, contempt because they are no longer in the realm of the light. But instead have fallen to hatred, anxiety, and greed.

#24 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (Saint Michael @ Sep 10 2008, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know what a fiction is, I was... erm just explaining things for those of us hovering around the in betweens. And I forgive fangirls completely for writing yaoi's they like guy on guy and most of us like girl on girl, only thing I will never forgive them for is male pregnancies... ever... why? That is the most unlogical thing out of them all and just completely obsurd. Oh great! Now I'm thinking massive guy harems with Male pregnancies, I can't imagine anything worse than this than to make you suffer because now you're thinking it because I just said it to you, thats what you get for making me think about that. Enjoy your big yaoi mpreg harems.

Now that I can agree with. Mpreg is dead wrong, in so many aspects, heck I don't even think its possible. The theory: "Kyuubi is female and because Naruto absorb her, then he can get pregnant" is friggin stupid. I think people who write them just want to give an excuse to Yaoi. no offense to people who likes them, but I refuse to read/write any of it.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#25 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (Saint Michael @ Sep 9 2008, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Enjoy your big yaoi mpreg harems.

That's why I hate most of your posts. You immediately have to kill a topic by shoving a stupid comment like that in our face.

#26 Gena kumo

Gena kumo

Floatin' along as a Silvery Cloud...

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Let's see....<br />-Reading<br />-Writing<br />-Sketching/Doodling<br />-Traveling<br />-And practically anything and EVERYTHING that has to do w/ <br />creativity and The Arts ^_^

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:18 AM

Don't particularly enjoy harem fics...

They just cheapen the romance for me. (And the GIRLS for that matter. O_O)

One, they're usually not that well written with a good dash of OCCness to aid the "heated harem atmosphere.” =__= *twitch*

And two, you have to wonder about the authors intentions/preferences.

A.K.A.- Where exactly they're going with this...

(Inner Ranter- “Umm...and WHY exactly do you feel the need to compile 12 pairings with ONE guy (or girl) in ONE fic???” huh.gif
“Is it just that you can’t decide between them, or your encourage polygamy, you ignore the laws of health and relationships, or you just like these sort of things…or…”

*scratches head* “I’m a bit confused…”

“I mean, THINK of all the STDs.” O_o )

I’ve read one harem fic….and got sick halfway through it. dry.gif

It just felt so degrading to the female characters, and their role as a constant “pleasure-source” for the main guy was just plain sickening. O_o

[color="#FF8C00"]My fan-writing <3 fairycloud22

#27 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (Ultima @ Sep 8 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think something's wrong with you when you don't find multiple hot women that want you awesome.

:rolleyes:

Uh hetrosexual females don't find that 'awesome'. Now, multiple hot guys that want a strong minded woman because she's a strong minded woman- awesome!

Which is why I wouldn't mind a Sakura harem one with Naruto, Sai, Gaara, and Shikamaru (no older or younger guys, though, eww.) But Naruto would have to be the one she loved the most. (Sasuke excluded because he never showed the slightest interest in Sakura. And no Lee, because he's not hot and Sakura is creeped out by him that way.)

Heh, a few years ago- before I read the Anita Blake series (not the crappy PWP ones after Cerulean Sins (or the crappy Narcusus in Chains- PWP again) but especially the good hot ones with plot from Killing Dance to Cerulean Sins- I wouldn't have found male harem fics that interesting, but Laurell K. Hamilton "corrupted" wink.gif me.

Male harem fics written by women have quite a different feel than female harem fics written by guys. Stupid cat fighting and subordination of the harem members to the female love object hardly exists. What happens instead is often a bit of yaoi. (not my thing but some women like it, and Laurel K. Hamilton does it in her books too, but I don't mind it there because those characters are bi anyway.

I prefer characters to stay as believably close to canon personalities as possible. Naruto would never, ever be into guys. Sai, definitely gay, but maybe just a smidgen of curiousity about Sakura. Gaara (unknown, you could say possibly bi) has some interest and liking for Sakura, Shikamaru (probably mostly het, might not be averse to gay sex though) in part 2 treats her with respect. If you include Sasuke- almost 100% gay, if he has any interest in women at all it's very minimal and centered around the reviving the clan thing. I'd say Sasuke is actually more gay than Sai even. Sai might be capable of curious experimentation with women. With Sasuke, the only way I could see him maybe getting a bit attracted to Sakura would be as part of a threesome with Naruto. Probably the only guy that could get Naruto to even kiss them would be Sasuke, and even that Naruto would be very uncomfortable about, but tolerate if he knew Sasuke was desperately in love with him.

Edited by ciardha, 10 September 2008 - 01:55 AM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#28 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Sep 9 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh hetrosexual females don't find that 'awesome'. Now, multiple hot guys that want a strong minded woman because she's a strong minded woman- awesome!

And us heterosexual males don't find that awesome either. I think we're between a rock and a hard place now.

And also. It's fiction for a reason. :cookie:

Edited by Ultima, 10 September 2008 - 01:29 AM.

#29 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,845 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (Ultima @ Sep 9 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And us heterosexual males don't find that awesome either. I think we're between a rock and a hard place now.

And also. It's fiction for a reason. :cookie:

And you have to understand, we all have different mind sets. Hetero men want a bunch of women, hetero women want a bunch of men, and I will include that those who are gay/lesbian/bi wants a harem too (which that POV is a HUGE orgy for them).

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#30 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:02 AM

I have a challenge for everyone jsut to play devils advocate.

weve all heard what everyone doesnt like about harem fics, and why they dont like them. But what would you consider as a good harem fic? or what would you look for that wouyld make a good harem fic?
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#31 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Saint Michael @ Sep 9 2008, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that the best you got? You don't know how sick in the head I can really be, that "image" you gave me is nothing compared to what I've experienced.

And Derock...... you left out the trisexuals XD
But seriously, I don't like harems, and if you think it's wrong, then too bad, I don't care.

#32 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,845 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Sep 10 2008, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that the best you got? You don't know how sick in the head I can really be, that "image" you gave me is nothing compared to what I've experienced.

And Derock...... you left out the trisexuals XD
But seriously, I don't like harems, and if you think it's wrong, then too bad, I don't care.

Yeah I forgot to add the transgenders... but most of the time some heterosexual males swing at them thinking they are regular women...

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#33 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

Harems solve all pairings arguments. ('Who should he be with, xxx or yyy?' 'Both, obv.') It's not always the RIGHT answer, but it's a fun one to give sometimes. wink.gif

Seriously? I don't mind harem fics if done well. Upon thinking about it, I realized that 99% of any 'harem' fic I've read and enjoyed were NOT harems in the "Oh, it's Tuesday? Then Naruto is currently banging Tayuya while the other slaves wait their turn!" sense, but more in the "several girls recognize Naruto's qualities and wouldn't mind getting with him" sense. Off the top of my head, something like Arkhe's "Single Ninja on the Town" or Ikari666's "Training" series of stories are good examples for me.

As for what makes a good harem-type fic, two things come to mind:
- Are the participants getting involved in a way feels true to character and isn't forced?
- If there IS an "Okay, we've decided to share!" moment is there a VERY good reason for it?*

Harem fics are very hard to do because by nature that first question is so very hard to answer satisfactorily. Perhaps that's why a lot of the ones I do like don't ever quite get to the resolution, if you will.

*besides "Enough plot, must mindless orgy nao." Why bother then? Just label it PWP so we know what to expect.
QUOTE ("Down Goes Brown")
(For the younger readers, "HMV" and "Sam The Record Man" were record stores.)

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#34 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Jwolf0 @ Sep 10 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Harems solve all pairings arguments. ('Who should he be with, xxx or yyy?' 'Both, obv.') It's not always the RIGHT answer, but it's a fun one to give sometimes. wink.gif

Seriously? I don't mind harem fics if done well. Upon thinking about it, I realized that 99% of any 'harem' fic I've read and enjoyed were NOT harems in the "Oh, it's Tuesday? Then Naruto is currently banging Tayuya while the other slaves wait their turn!" sense, but more in the "several girls recognize Naruto's qualities and wouldn't mind getting with him" sense. Off the top of my head, something like Arkhe's "Single Ninja on the Town" or Ikari666's "Training" series of stories are good examples for me.

As for what makes a good harem-type fic, two things come to mind:
- Are the participants getting involved in a way feels true to character and isn't forced?
- If there IS an "Okay, we've decided to share!" moment is there a VERY good reason for it?*

Harem fics are very hard to do because by nature that first question is so very hard to answer satisfactorily. Perhaps that's why a lot of the ones I do like don't ever quite get to the resolution, if you will.

*besides "Enough plot, must mindless orgy nao." Why bother then? Just label it PWP so we know what to expect.

That is how I like my Harems too
was a good one in the NaruIno section at FF.net that basically had an older crew and a maturish Naruto. though I think to author discontinued it after 5 chaps
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#35 Deej

Deej

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:48 PM

I hate them. To me, they are just male fantasy and wish fulfillment. Yeah, all fanfiction is based on the author's fantasies, but subjects like harems and mary sues are far more blatant about it.

Usually it's the author's favorite character(99% of the time Naruto). They give him the ability to attract girls that has never been shown in canon. Then they have the author's favorite girls, the ones they are attracted to, fight over and romance Naruto. Even worse are the ones where they have Naruto with a different girl every chapter. Naruto just becomes an avatar for the male author to be a stud in a fictional setting.

#36 emilykawaii123

emilykawaii123

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Theater, Dance, The Twilight Series, all things Japanese

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Orenji @ Sep 8 2008, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reverse Harem. Yumm.

I'm not a guy so I dont really know the affect of a mass amount of sexy women being all over you, which... yeah. But for me, as a girl, having an uncountable number of sexy men all over me and ready to please me and any minute?

HECK YES.

Morals be gone.

*high fives Orenji*

Shannaro!!! Me and some friends at school are working on an "ultimate reverse harem" list, featuring every sexy anime guy we can think of.

Of course, in anime and fanfiction, regular harems are rather annoying and steryotypical to me. I can think of probably only one or two reverse harem anime, which makes me sad... shamefulcry0js.gif

#37 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:49 AM

O.O

Whoa, whoa, I have to say, when I first made this topic, I had completely forgotten about the females!!! =.=

But I guess it's only fair for you girls to have that kind of fantasy lol. Each to his/her own like I said.

Though to be honest, the reasons why people have morals etc are quite normal, and really, people like Ultima easily rebutted that it's 'fiction', so that bit's covered.

Was wondering, if you were to simply consider the possibility where harems do not mean 'happily ever after forever' but actually, flings here and there, and serious relationship with a few, and generally, just a guy (perverted if you insist) who's really nice.

And don't say no such guys exists, because they do.

Another question, girls who are involved in the harem, (this is directed to the female population here, so girls, answer! biggrin.gif) if you were one of them, how would you feel? Granted, the guy is WORTH it, of course.
You try to know everything , yet in the end, you truly understand nothing ....
Wilson's fanfic account : weixuan18

Witness teh awesomness that is Deidara Lover!!! <3

#38 Echoside

Echoside

Isolation inspires creativity, it also fosters callousness.

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:58 AM

I like Harems if the author can do them right. Most authors just think it's a bunch of women throwing themselves at Naruto and him KB'in them into a pleasure coma. For the most part I perfer Naruto with one or two girls in a serious relationship.

However, I perfer crack harem stories mainly. Like 'I am not Submissive!' by Chronos Astral.

People are sheep, they bleet and whine and wait for someone else to do the hard work, then when it happens they celebrate like they won a great war all by themselves.

#39 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

It may be fanfiction, but I think that doesn't give the excuse for being able to write anything and suddenly it's okay because it's a work of imagination and therefore unarguable. Considering the fanbases in total, people tend to take fiction rather seriously. Heck, Shakespeare's work was often analyzed over and over for various different things--Like Shakespeare's view of women. Most people don't want to bother reading something that isn't worth their effort, or get offended when characters they truly have come to love, despite being fictional, are not given their worth. I just can't see the enjoyment out of harem, because in order for them to be those characters have to give up a piece of individuality. They become uniform fodder to the one dominant male or female; completely and totally willing to sacrifice all senses of self just to please him/her. Suddenly their feelings don't matter. None of them are mature enough to let this person go, and would instead foolishly 'catfight' or scheme in order to win this fight instead of being independent and realizing "Hey, my life does not revolve around this man/woman. I should move on if he/she is being so damn indecisive about picking one of us."

The truth is most harems will have little to no effort of a decent plotline put within them. A massive love web and a harem are two very different things with only some similarities and that is the wide possibility of parings verses one or two. Sakura speaking to guys, getting some interests here and there, having love triangles and problems popping up and having that usual "who's the one I really love?" crises is different than Sakura suddenly having the love of all the men around her--and keeping that love to herself. Is it even really love? How can you love someone and not have your heart break when you see them screwing with another person, possibly right in front of you as you wait for your turn? I, as a non-polygamist person, cannot even fathom that reality. Out of all the crackiness of all these different scenarios and pairings, harems are one of the top ten craziest right there with male pregnancies.

So, I have yet to come across a harem that doesn't just make me roll my eyes. Crack can be enjoyable at times, but in general I think it just goes too far. I understand people who like it, but I don't support it.

#40 emilykawaii123

emilykawaii123

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Theater, Dance, The Twilight Series, all things Japanese

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Wilson @ Sep 15 2008, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
O.O

Whoa, whoa, I have to say, when I first made this topic, I had completely forgotten about the females!!! =.=

But I guess it's only fair for you girls to have that kind of fantasy lol. Each to his/her own like I said.

Though to be honest, the reasons why people have morals etc are quite normal, and really, people like Ultima easily rebutted that it's 'fiction', so that bit's covered.

Was wondering, if you were to simply consider the possibility where harems do not mean 'happily ever after forever' but actually, flings here and there, and serious relationship with a few, and generally, just a guy (perverted if you insist) who's really nice.

And don't say no such guys exists, because they do.

Another question, girls who are involved in the harem, (this is directed to the female population here, so girls, answer! biggrin.gif) if you were one of them, how would you feel? Granted, the guy is WORTH it, of course.

Do you mean being one of several women in a regular harem? Yeah, if that were me, I'd be thinking " Psht, screw this. Y'all have fun, I'm going to go find L and some cookies. :teehee: "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users