Close
Photo

New DBZ Movie (don't worry, it's not live-action) coming out March 2013.

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#21 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Ok, maybe I should've said the most influential shonen manga.

Yes. It is either the most influential or one of the most influential ones.

Regarding the movie: I wonder if Toriyama's involvement will have a good effect over the final product. I have watched all DB movies and most of DBZ films and... At the beginning I enjoyed them, but later I had to admit they were pretty average at best...

When I think about it, movies based on anime shows based on manga series often do not turn out well. Most of Naruto and Saint Seiya movies were pretty bad. The Fist of North Star animated movie was mediocre...

Then again, Ranma movies were decent. And Patlabor were quite good.

My point is: Did you like the old DBZ movies? And if you didn't, you think this movie can be better since Toriyama is involved?

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#22 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jul 11 2012, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've liked a few of the more recent specials (the Bardock special, where Frieza's attack sent Bardock into the past making Bardock the "legendary" super-saiyan, and the "Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!" OAV (because the anime people used Gohan and Videl's DBZ characterizations, and not the DBGT characterization that, well, turned Gohan into even more of a wimp and made it so Videl wasn't like Videl at all. Oh, and I loved Vegita's little brother and sister-in-law)), and there have been definite hints of a DBZ (and not DBGT) revival thanks to DBZ-Kai. I just hope that if they do redo a new series, they really do ignore GT canon and don't try to integrate a new series into GT.

I myself so love the Bardock special and the Yo! Son Goku and friends return! OAV. Just watching them makes me feel very nostalgic ;D

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jul 12 2012, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMO, Dragon Ball should have ended long before the Buu saga. But that is another matter.

Oh yeah Im very well aware of that Akira wanted to just end the series before Buu and a good amount of ppl agreed, but I can dream cant I fu.png Besides I'll take the Buu Seires over Frezza any day.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#23 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jul 12 2012, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes. It is either the most influential or one of the most influential ones.

Regarding the movie: I wonder if Toriyama's involvement will have a good effect over the final product. I have watched all DB movies and most of DBZ films and... At the beginning I enjoyed them, but later I had to admit they were pretty average at best...

When I think about it, movies based on anime shows based on manga series often do not turn out well. Most of Naruto and Saint Seiya movies were pretty bad. The Fist of North Star animated movie was mediocre...

Then again, Ranma movies were decent. And Patlabor were quite good.

My point is: Did you like the old DBZ movies? And if you didn't, you think this movie can be better since Toriyama is involved?

I like most of the old DBZ movies and love a select few of them (the first Broly movie is, in my opinion, the best one). I would hope that this new movie would be either just as good as or better than the old ones.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#24 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jul 12 2012, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't seen them all, but I remember really enjoying Dead Zone and the first Broly movie. Especially the latter, I actually liked the movie's namesake more than a lot of the canon characters (it didn't help that he was voiced in the dub by Vic Micnogna of FMA fame biggrin.gif). I've heard Wrath of the Dragon was really good too, but I haven't got around to seeing that one yet.

A lot of the other ones I've seen didn't quite interest me as much, but I didn't really hate them either. They all seemed to follow to same formula, which is kind of the same problem I have with most of the Naruto movies. I think Toriyama being involved should help with that problem, but I should probably wait and see before saying anything.

QUOTE (Konohakitten @ Jul 12 2012, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Besides I'll take the Buu Seires over Frezza any day.

Me too. I know the Buu saga gets a lot of hate, but I actually preferred that to the earlier Z arcs. Annoyingly arrogant alien bent on ruling the universe? Snooze. Annoyingly arrogant android bent on ruling the universe? Snooze. Mindless magical monster bent on destroying everything? Now you're talking my language! XD

But I'd say I preferred DB over DBZ in general though. I found the characters to be a little more endearing the first time around, and the story flowed a little better for me.

Just my opinion, though. happy.gif

Edited by Boom...Winning, 13 July 2012 - 12:57 AM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#25 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,843 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:18 AM

One thing I'll ask is this: will it follow the original or be in the DBZ era? I know many fans prefer DBZ era for Vegeta, Trunks and others but there are also fans that love the original, even though that had so many movies based on that era as it is.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#26 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Jul 12 2012, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me too. I know the Buu saga gets a lot of hate, but I actually preferred that to the earlier Z arcs. Annoyingly arrogant alien bent on ruling the universe? Snooze. Annoyingly arrogant android bent on ruling the universe? Snooze. Mindless magical monster bent on destroying everything? Now you're talking my language! XD

Lol I couldn't have put it better myself! I did enjoy Cell but only when he held the tournament, the rest with the droids kinda dragged on for me. I loved the Buu saga cause the kitten hit the fan and everyone was screwed at one point. Plus Goku and Vegeta were great working together, and their thumbs up to each other at the end was epic biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Derock @ Jul 12 2012, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing I'll ask is this: will it follow the original or be in the DBZ era? I know many fans prefer DBZ era for Vegeta, Trunks and others but there are also fans that love the original, even though that had so many movies based on that era as it is.

I loved DB and I watched it way before Z came out here in the states. I liked how DB was simple, no epically huge power levels that were over 9000!! However I would think that this new movie is going to be in the DBZ era.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#27 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

New info: this movie will be canon.

http://www.animenews...-manga-chapters

Specifically, it is set during the "lost decade" of story time after the end of the battle with Majin Buu. Kuririn, Piccolo, Vegeta, and other familar characters will appear in the film. The film is not a spinoff, but a story in the official history of Dragon Ball.

In other words, this is set between the end of the Buu arc and the epilogue where Goku meets Uub.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#28 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm glad to see Dragon Ball Z hasn't lost its footing to newer series since I've started watching the series again after my interest in Naruto has started to fade a bit. I'll be looking forward to seeing what the movie is about. biggrin.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#29 ultranx

ultranx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:DBZ, naruto, pokemon, digimon, one piece, megaman, sonic, legend of zelda, yugioh,gurren lagann, transformers, kingdom hearts, yuyu hakusho, sword art online, tmnt, gundam.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

this seriously made my day when i heard about it. i grew up with dbz and am 21 now. and the buu saga was my favorite too.

tumblr_mba4mg4Ip61ryf7dio1_r1_500.gif

#30 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,843 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jul 15 2012, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
New info: this movie will be canon.

http://www.animenews...-manga-chapters

In other words, this is set between the end of the Buu arc and the epilogue where Goku meets Uub.

That means... I get to see Android 18 (hopefully) in action? wow.png

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#31 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Doubt it. Considering back in Buu arc, she was relegated to canon fodder status.

248793.jpg

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#32 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

One thing I hated about the DBZ movies is their lack of relevance due to the stories not being canonical to the series, but I'm not gonna lie Akira Toriyama writing and this story being canonical has me excited.

uc.png

#33 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Edward Uzumaki @ Jul 17 2012, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing I hated about the DBZ movies is their lack of relevance due to the stories not being canonical to the series, but I'm not gonna lie Akira Toriyama writing and this story being canonical has me excited.

The anime-only (or at least anime-first) stories which I know appear to fit in canon (in some cases, are canon -- like the Bardock story -- just not canon written by Toriyama) are the Garlic Jr. stories, everything around Bardock (including the recent Episode of Bardock), and the History of Trunks (more or less), and the recent Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return. I'm not quite sure when any of the other movies fit into the canon, though. Shame -- the Broly story would be great, but I can't think of a time when all of those characters were all alive, all those saiyans were capable of going super saiyan, and when they all were able to take the time for that journey. I've never seen the Cooler stories, though -- would they be able to fit?

(I'm looking forward to this movie. I so want a re-write of GT canon that anything which might inspire it encourages me)

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#34 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jul 17 2012, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the Broly story would be great, but I can't think of a time when all of those characters were all alive, all those saiyans were capable of going super saiyan, and when they all were able to take the time for that journey. I've never seen the Cooler stories, though -- would they be able to fit?

I remember trying to place all the DBZ movies into the overall story when I was younger and really into it, but I don't recall having too much success. I think I threw most of them into training arcs or timeskips, but there was always some little thing that kept it from truly fitting in, like so-and-so still being alive or so-and-so having a certain power-up.

With the first Broly movie though, wouldn't that be able to fit in during the pre-Cell Games Training? I think that's where I originally placed it. The only big factors in determining its timeline, from what I recall, was Future Trunks being present and Goku and Vegeta being able to go Super Saiyan. I could be wrong though.

Anyways, it looks like this movie will take place at the same point in time as Wrath of the Dragon, which I kinda like. That's like...as Z as possible without being GT. laugh.gif

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#35 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Jul 17 2012, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember trying to place all the DBZ movies into the overall story when I was younger and really into it, but I don't recall having too much success. I think I threw most of them into training arcs or timeskips, but there was always some little thing that kept it from truly fitting in, like so-and-so still being alive or so-and-so having a certain power-up.

With the first Broly movie though, wouldn't that be able to fit in during the pre-Cell Games Training? I think that's where I originally placed it. The only big factors in determining its timeline, from what I recall, was Future Trunks being present and Goku and Vegeta being able to go Super Saiyan. I could be wrong though.

Anyways, it looks like this movie will take place at the same point in time as Wrath of the Dragon, which I kinda like. That's like...as Z as possible without being GT. laugh.gif

Gohan didn't achieve Supersaiyan until the day\year spent in the room of space and time. From that time until the Cell Games was exactly seven days. During those seven days, neither Gohan nor Goku de-activated the supersaiyan transformation, and both Gohan and Goku were untransformed for most of the movie. (It's also quite likely that the amount of time that is needed for the movie to take place is longer than a week, but I don't even need to worry about figuring that out exactly because of the first point)

Without Broly happening there, the other two Broly movies can't happen in canon, either. So all three are wiped out because of that.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#36 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

First trailer is up (it's just a tease though):

It looks like they're going to use modern animation techniques.

248793.jpg

#37 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Full trailer is out:

Summary:

Birusu, the god of destruction who has maintained the balance of the universe, has awakened from a long slumber. Hearing rumors of a Saiyan (Saiya-jin) who defeated Freeza, Birusu comes looking for Goku.

Excited that a powerful oponent has appeared after so long, Goku ignores King Kai's advce and challenges Birusu in a battle. However, Goku is no match for Birusu's overwhelming power and is defeated. Birusu leaves after uttering an ominous message, “Is there anyone on Earth more worthy to destroy?” Will Goku and the others really be able to stop the God of Destruction?!

I'm very excited for this movie simply because of the new animation techniques and styles. I think it captured the feel of the series pretty well.

P.S.: It's so amusing to see the youtube comments. I'm sure the old-timers here are going to love remembering the good ol' days of the DBZ power level debates tongue.gif

248793.jpg

#38 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

It looks pretty good and I can't wait to see this. I like the animation and art, much better than the OVA they released a long time ago. That was a flopped in my book. This movie seems to be a really good fun movie as it seems it pays a tribute to the fans with classic stuff, such as Vegeta's Cell Saga armor, old villains from DB, and many characters of our favorite characters in action. Hopefully, it will be good as it looks. It's time to show that DBZ can transit to new animation well.

#39 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Well, yet again it ignores Gohan's ability to go mystic (unless it explains why he can't during the movie? Doubt it, though) and instead sends him supersaiyan, but other than that I'm looking forward to it.

-Tonbo

#40 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (desaix @ Dec 13 2012, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, yet again it ignores Gohan's ability to go mystic (unless it explains why he can't during the movie? Doubt it, though) and instead sends him supersaiyan, but other than that I'm looking forward to it.

That is true. If no explanation, well, guess it's either a mistake on Akira's part or felt the necessary to fanservice him or both. Who knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users