Colorado Movie Theatre Shooting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#21 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,861 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

More from ABC News:

* When he was captured by police, he claims himself as "The Joker". facepalm.png

* One of the deceased is an aspiring reporter from Canada, just 24 years old. She was shot in the leg and then Holmes shot her in the head. Another one is a 6 year old girl, her mother survived.

* All the deceased weren't taking out of the theater today because they need to be identified. Many families are currently desperate to find their loved ones.

* His booby trap apartment: while the shooting was in process, the neighbors heard very loud music playing with recording of gunshots. One neighbor was banging on his door to tell Holmes to turn the music off, but she found out that the door was unlocked. Luckily she didn't opened the door.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#22 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:44 AM

I think this guy has some sort of mental illness.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#23 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (Derock @ Jul 20 2012, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
* His booby trap apartment: while the shooting was in process, the neighbors heard very loud music playing with recording of gunshots. One neighbor was banging on his door to tell Holmes to turn the music off, but she found out that the door was unlocked. Luckily she didn't opened the door.

The theory now is that this was the whole point. He had hoped for someone to set if off so the first responders would be messing with that (once it went off and set the complex on fire) while he was shooting up the theatre.

#24 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (KonaKonaFan @ Jul 21 2012, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure he was just asking you to keep on-topic. Also, that doesn't make you immune.

No, it doesn't make me immune. But if I can remain calm, I think you people can, too.
On the morning of Wednesday, April 11th, 2012, my Aunt Karla passed away. She was my mother's baby sister, and my coolest aunt when I was a kid. She was the best babysitter ever, and she was like an older sister to me.

Karly, I don't know if you can hear this. I am not a believer, I haven't been since Sheryl died. But if you can, I want you to know that I'm truly sorry for everything bad I've ever said about you. When you were suffering, I should have been there to help you. I should have visited. I should have encouraged you to leave the house and get a job, to be active and alive the way you used to be.

I promise that I will do everything that I can to be successful and a good person, to make you proud the way you would have wanted me to. No matter what I said, I loved you. And I will always love you. Rest in Peace, you will never be forgotten.

#25 Chew

Chew

^ NaLu meine lub #ever1curr

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:omgawrsh y u do dis, Y U READING

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

@Pachuco Please, drop it. No one needs any of your remarks in this thread, especially on a topic so sensitive. Also, yes, please stay on topic. We're all calm here, but it'd be much appreciated.

The 9-1-1 calls have been released.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1690634.html

As for the shooter having a mental illness, it's possible. Maybe not necessarily a "mental illness", but a personality disorder that came as a result of a psychotic break. This man dyed his hair, called himself the Joker, and meticulously planned this. He purchased these weapons months apart, booby trapped his apartment and had no plans for suicide, as he let himself get arrested without resistance. He resigned from his neuroscience research program and it was still in process.

It's definitely possible he had anti-social personality disorder with some symptoms from schizotypal personality disorder. Anti-social personality disorder is characterized by several things:

1) Lack or remorse or guilt for one's actions
2) Disregard for social norms and laws (this does not just mean being "rebellious"; this means genuine disregard for the law, disregard for feelings of others, disregard for other social formalities etc.)
3) A LOW threshold for violence and aggression; in essence a short fuse. More prone to aggressive behavior and releasing it.
4) Impulsivity- a failure to plan ahead.
5) Recklessness- disregarding safety of others.
6) Difficulty in maintaining social relationships

These are just some of the behaviors that make up Anti-Social Personality Disorder, which is one of several personality disorders in Cluster 2 (out of several different clusters of types of personality disorders). For someone to be diagnosed with this formally, at least three of these must be present in the individual (and not just present- they must interfere, in some way, with everyday behaviors necessary for daily life). This personality disorder was present in several serial and mass murderers in the past, and is the disorder most associated with serial killers and the such. They are commonly referred to also as sociopaths and psychopaths.

Based on the information released on the shooter, we can see signs of symptoms #1, #2, #3, #5, and #6. James Holmes, based on recent police press releases, has shown no signs of guilt, and apparently enjoyed every second of it. This clearly shows a lack of remorse or guilt for his actions. The action itself goes in conjunction with both #2 and #3, as booby trapping his home and shooting up a public place (although becoming dangerously less rare) isn't something people in a "normal and healthy" state of mind would do. He clearly (CLEARLY) disregarded the safety of others- and even disregarded his own safety. He was extremely reckless in this situation. Based on background information on his life before this incident, symptom #6 seemed apparent, as James had difficulty maintaining relationships with others, and even his neighbor stated that he never said hello, even to people who greeted him first. He was an apparent recluse based on several accounts; however, it is unknown whether this information is 100% accurate or if it is being exaggerated based on the current circumstance. James' behavior in this incident is a strong indication of prevalent anti-social personality disorder; however, it is based on a single incident, and not enough is known about him to make a proper judgment call as of yet. Personality disorders should be consistent with personality traits, which are defined as being fairly constant states in a person. A personality trait cannot be something like surprised, which is a reaction and a temporary expression; it can, however be extraverted, which is how a person usually behaves (for example, the person never fails to greet someone they just meet). In this case however, I suspect that he has a form of this disorder because this action is so grave that it is characterized by extreme versions of normal personality traits- however, it could also be that he had a recent psychotic break that was enough to make him go on this violent rampage.

As far as schizotypal personality disorder, I suspect that James also had some of these symptoms, though not enough to make a full schizotypal diagnosis (also, schizotypal is NOT to be associated with schizophrenia; they are different). Schizotypal personality disorder is characterized primarily by unconventional beliefs, delusions of grandeur, "magical thinking" and a lack of association with people, other than immediate relatives. Based on several accounts which stated that James referred to himself as the Joker, it may be assumed that James possessed the "magical thinking", and believing himself for a more "grandiose purpose"- to play the role of Batman's arch nemesis. In many cases, people with schizotypal disorder have been shown to believe they have magical powers such as the ability to move objects with their mind, or the ability to control the actions of others, but they never really do harm to others to fulfill this. In this case, it looks like James took the role of being "The Joker" into his own hands, and went to the far extreme of physically proving he was the villain by murdering an onslaught of people and injuring a plethora of others. It seems like he was fulfilling a fantasy- a fantasy in which he is the star, where he is the villain and he fulfills his malicious purposes etc. He wanted an audience.

In short, there a number of personality disorders and even mental disorders (dissociative, schizophrenia, etc.) that this man could've had- but out of the many that there are, I feel that these are two that most fit the profile of the shooter we have now. I would write more, but I feel this is enough to get a discussion going.

Edited by Pikachew, 21 July 2012 - 04:41 AM.

OTP and my Bby

#26 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

Really? All this fuss over Pachuco just saying that someone's sig was sad? I really don't see how that's a big deal at ALL. I know this isn't on-topic exactly, but come on. He even put it in parenthesis.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#27 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE (PachuchuDesigns @ Jul 20 2012, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, it doesn't make me immune. But if I can remain calm, I think you people can, too.

If you can remain calm? you are no more effected by this than anyone else on the forum, being geographically closer means nothing so you can stop being an a love.gif love.gif hole to other members about it. dry.gif

Edited by Muffins?, 21 July 2012 - 05:23 AM.

JLHza2T.png

#28 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

I'm just stunned. It's terrible and frightening .

From the bits I've heard about the shooter it sounds like he had descended into psychosis in the last year or so- and for genetically linked schizophrenia he was right around the typical age- mid 20's. Most who descend into madness do not become like him or even just violent in general, but a tiny percentage, for reasons still unknown, do.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#29 SkiesEagle

SkiesEagle

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing and reading fanfiction :P

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

After hearing from the news, I am in shock and watching people how they are crying and scare. I heard one of them lost their friend. I almost cry to see them how they went through this day.
I heard the AMC mention about banned wearing the costumes when entering the movie theater. Thanks to that guy mess up after killing innocent people. That guy is crazy.

On tumbler, someone mention about banned the guns after the theater shooting happen, is that true?
Kweh!~
Chocobos
chocobo narusaku2

#30 Chew

Chew

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jul 20 2012, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? All this fuss over Pachuco just saying that someone's sig was sad? I really don't see how that's a big deal at ALL. I know this isn't on-topic exactly, but come on. He even put it in parenthesis.

Lol, Zac, come on. Let's ALL move on from this. This should be the last post regarding the matter. Let's stay on topic with what's important, got it? This thread is for discussing the events that happened in Colorado. If you have anything to say that is off-topic, say it in a PM or something.

Anywho, yes, that is also a possibility Ciardha. I still think something triggered a psychotic break that may have amplified his existing personality traits into a personality disorder, but without further information we can't be too sure of anything. You are right though.

@Ashes

That blows for those that enjoy dressing up when they go to movie theaters, but it's completely understandable since no one even knew there was a shooter bc they just thought he was dressed up like the rest of the crowd. It's honestly very sad to hear that these people had their night that was suppose to be full of fun ruined, and not just ruined, but destroyed and completely shattered. I'm betting some of these survivors will develop some PTSD as well- this is something that will haunt everyone for the rest of their life, and that really does sadden me.
OTP and my Bby

#31 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

Just saw the movie. It was spectacular, but it was a bit difficult to enjoy when I found myself looking to the emergency exit every few seconds.

Edited by PachucoDesigns, 21 July 2012 - 06:29 AM.

On the morning of Wednesday, April 11th, 2012, my Aunt Karla passed away. She was my mother's baby sister, and my coolest aunt when I was a kid. She was the best babysitter ever, and she was like an older sister to me.

Karly, I don't know if you can hear this. I am not a believer, I haven't been since Sheryl died. But if you can, I want you to know that I'm truly sorry for everything bad I've ever said about you. When you were suffering, I should have been there to help you. I should have visited. I should have encouraged you to leave the house and get a job, to be active and alive the way you used to be.

I promise that I will do everything that I can to be successful and a good person, to make you proud the way you would have wanted me to. No matter what I said, I loved you. And I will always love you. Rest in Peace, you will never be forgotten.

#32 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (PachucoDesigns @ Jul 21 2012, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just saw the movie. It was spectacular, but it was a bit difficult to enjoy when I found myself looking to the emergency exist every few seconds.

Thus is the secondary impact of what's happened here...

AboojTi.gif

#33 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jul 21 2012, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thus is the secondary impact of what's happened here...

Yep. It was far from packed house. And I guarantee you that was the reason. I heard that there was a poll somewhere asking whether or not screenings of the movie should cease for a while, and 54% said that it should. People are terrified. As well they should be.

I wasn't about to let it ruin the movie for me, though. I'd waited too long to see it.

#34 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (PachucoDesigns @ Jul 21 2012, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep. It was far from packed house. And I guarantee you that was the reason. I heard that there was a poll somewhere asking whether or not screenings of the movie should cease for a while, and 54% said that it should. People are terrified. As well they should be.

I wasn't about to let it ruin the movie for me, though. I'd waited too long to see it.

And this, I don't understand. This was just one guy. One psycho. One movie theater. One screening. One state. And the guy got caught.
I can understand some fear, but really? Not even going to the movie because of one attack?

AboojTi.gif

#35 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jul 21 2012, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And this, I don't understand. This was just one guy. One psycho. One movie theater. One screening. One state. And the guy got caught.
I can understand some fear, but really? Not even going to the movie because of one attack?

It's to be expected. People are panicky creatures. The only thing they consider is the fact that it happened, and they worry that it could happen again. It's only natural, really.

#36 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

A friend of mine just posted on Facebook that she went to go see the movie Savages. She said it was great and that she wanted to give a shout out to the to 4 police officers on duty at the theater that made her feel safe. I couldn't believe it, to think of having law enforcement where ppl are meant to relax and kick back. A bunch of us are going to watch the Dark Knight tomorrow and a part of me does worry. I live in a border city where the violence across the border is out of control so it is creepy. This guy was sick, he took innocence lives for no reason. Now he's made a great past time into something people want to avoid. Again my heart and prayers go to the victims and their families love.gif

Edited by Konohakitten, 21 July 2012 - 07:03 AM.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#37 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (PachucoDesigns @ Jul 21 2012, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's to be expected. People are panicky creatures. The only thing they consider is the fact that it happened, and they worry that it could happen again. It's only natural, really.

The ironic thing is, the Joker in TDK said that and now we have someone impersonating him.

Question. How does one in America obtain firearms?

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#38 Chew

Chew

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jul 20 2012, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that's all it takes. It may be just "one guy". But those were "twelve lives", and "seventy others injured." It's not just ceasing to see the movie because of fear itself- it's ceasing to see the movie because of the reminder it sends- that while watching this movie, "one guy" opened fire on a crowd of innocent people and killed several. So before you go ahead and make implied statements (and by implied statements I mean your question that has a sarcastic undertone to it), try to look at the bigger picture and understand that what happened rattled the nation because it was unexpected and yes, scary. I don't know if you know this, but scary things make people anxious, especially when they're completely out of the blue. Of course people are taking other measures- no one really knows how to react.

@DarthKrpyt

At the store. Concealed handguns I believe are a different matter (I believe you need a permit or certification for that) but other firearms can be purchased actually fairly easily. The shooter actually purchased his ammunition online. It's quite easy to purchase guns in America, and there aren't very many restrictions to my knowledge.

Edited by Pikachew, 21 July 2012 - 07:29 AM.

OTP and my Bby

#39 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (Pikachew @ Jul 21 2012, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And that's all it takes. It may be just "one guy". But those were "twelve lives", and "seventy others injured." It's not just ceasing to see the movie because of fear itself- it's ceasing to see the movie because of the reminder it sends- that while watching this movie, "one guy" opened fire on a crowd of innocent people and killed several. So before you go ahead and make implied statements (and by implied statements I mean your question that has a sarcastic undertone to it), try to look at the bigger picture and understand that what happened rattled the nation because it was unexpected and yes, scary. I don't know if you know this, but scary things make people anxious, especially when they're completely out of the blue. Of course people are taking other measures- no one really knows how to react.

I guess I'm just shocked and, admittedly, disappointed that now this movie is going to forever have this hanging over its head because of what happened here. Forget that, the whole trilogy will probably have this one event associated with it, whether it deserves it or not. All because of this one guy attacking these poor people, and the millions of other people in the country being too scared and/or reminded to watch it.
Before I may be accused of this (and I can sense it coming), no, I am not in any way underplaying the deaths of these people. I know that this assault is much more important than the status of this franchise. But it just sucks. All of this does. In a way, it feels like we're letting this guy "win" by avoiding the movie like the plague because we allowed what he did to so deeply disturb us.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 21 July 2012 - 07:55 AM.

AboojTi.gif

#40 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Kim @ Jul 21 2012, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah man I saw it on the news yesterday and I was completely shocked. I still cannot believe it... Seriously, the only question on my mind is why?
?

Nobody knows. There is no discernible motive behind it. Just a lunatic. I'd really like to think there was some sort of motivation behind it, but as it was said in the first film, some men just want to watch the world burn. Yeah, I know, quoting that may be in bad taste. But, all in all, it really seems to be true. :\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users