Happy Meal Toys banned

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#21 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,846 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Apr 30 2010, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@Derock, what kind of home cooking you talking about? smile.gif

Anything. From basic like cooking steak, frying chicken, using boxed mac and cheese, etc. to advance like making your own pasta, desserts...

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#22 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Derock @ Apr 30 2010, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything. From basic like cooking steak, frying chicken, using boxed mac and cheese, etc. to advance like making your own pasta, desserts...

You'll have to invite me over for Sunday dinner. yes.gif

#23 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,846 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

Dude... I only know the basics of cooking. tongue.gif

The person who actually cook is my mom XD

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#24 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (Derock @ Apr 30 2010, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude... I only know the basics of cooking. tongue.gif

The person who actually cook is my mom XD

That's even better ain't it? Getting treated to your mother's cooking. smile.gif

#25 Chivalrysae

Chivalrysae

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Flag Football, Anime, Indoor Wall Climbing, Hiking, Running

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:52 PM

They should start adding toys to the adult meals. Something collectible would be nice. And I really do miss the supersizing. I have a high metabolism, so I have to eat lots of food to offset my hunger. smile.gif

I cook at home too, but since I train and go to the gym after work, some days it's just easier to go grab a bite to eat instead of spending another 30-45 minutes cooking something and then having to clean everything. When I do movie nights I cook or grill for my friends. It's always more fun to cook when it's not just you.

#26 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (Chivalrysae @ Apr 30 2010, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They should start adding toys to the adult meals. Something collectible would be nice. And I really do miss the supersizing. I have a high metabolism, so I have to eat lots of food to offset my hunger.

The only plaything that McDonalds can add to my meal is something that looks really great in a miniskirt, with low standards. ^^

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#27 Anewhope2

Anewhope2

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

How can you get obese with that small ass kid's meal? lol.
I mean c'mon, this is ridiculous.. Give the flippin kids a happy meal toy.. what's next?

Edited by Anewhope2, 30 April 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#28 Chivalrysae

Chivalrysae

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ Apr 30 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only plaything that McDonalds can add to my meal is something that looks really great in a miniskirt, with low standards. ^^

Your response reminds me of one the McDonald's Girl song by the Blenders. It's completely corny, but catchy at the same time.

Here's the a video of it. McDonald's Girl

Hopefully someone out there thinks it's as entertaining as I do.

#29 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Chivalrysae @ Apr 30 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your response reminds me of one the McDonald's Girl song by the Blenders. It's completely corny, but catchy at the same time.

Here's the a video of it. McDonald's Girl

Hopefully someone out there thinks it's as entertaining as I do.

I thought (hoping) you were going to put up this video.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#30 Chivalrysae

Chivalrysae

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ Apr 30 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought (hoping) you were going to put up this video.

I've seen that one before. If it had the song it it I would have posted it.

#31 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

I thought it was because the toys had poison lead in them...I blame the parents, the main reason for childhood obesity is the lack of exercise, Obese kids don't burn what they eat. If they did, we wouldn't have this silly problems that keep distracting the public to what is really going on in America...

Edited by Strangelove, 30 April 2010 - 10:09 PM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#32 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Apr 30 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was because the toys had poison lead in them...I blame the parents, the main reason for childhood obesity is the lack of exercise, Obese kids don't burn what they eat. If they did, we wouldn't have this silly problems that keep distracting the public to what is really going on in America...

I agree. When I read the title I thought immediately that it was about lead poison or a kid died choking on one of their toys... But obesity? Come on. It's called slap the parents ban starches and live happy :)

#33 Ashley

Ashley

JUST KEEP MOVING FORWARD

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Otakus, Video games, It's a Trap!, Colorguard, Cartoons, Epic Fail Guy, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Ouendan, Vocaloid, drawing, Gainax, shojo, shounen, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, pairings, anime figures(Otaku desires?), movies, Tegaki, South Park, Hikaru Utada, etc.

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

My childhood memories! WRRRRRRY???? ;A;
I am still pinky-ash

#34 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (ShippudenGirl @ Apr 30 2010, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. When I read the title I thought immediately that it was about lead poison or a kid died choking on one of their toys... But obesity? Come on. It's called slap the parents ban starches and live happy smile.gif

Most parents have gotten lazy.

Their idea of cooking is going out for fast food. They have little to no discipline.

My mom whooped my ass and force fed me healthy foods up until I moved out of the house and look how good I turned out? Clean living, little depressed, but I am getting there. (Not my mom's fault. Things just happen) I got a degree and I have committed no crimes nor did anything illegal.
My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#35 NaruSakuRules

NaruSakuRules

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Chivalrysae @ Apr 29 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Santa Clara, CA just passed a law banning happy meals from having toys in an effort to reduce child obesity. I was shocked mainly because I used to love getting the toys in my happy meals when I was a kid, and the fact that it didn't make me fat at all. The government has better things to worry about than passing these kind of laws.

And I go to McDonalds for their delicious fries and their 1/3 lbs angus burger...mmmmmm. I miss being able to supersize my food. I think parents need to make more of an effort to get their kids active. I rarely see kids at playgrounds anymore.

Link Here

it kinda makes sense but seriously, when i was a kid, the only thing i went to McDonald's for was the toy.....the sex toy:P
but it's seriously wrong for kids to get obese because of some freaking toys happy.gif i mean, look at this one: http://www.joci.in/m...ii.php?id=19845

Edited by NaruSakuRules, 20 May 2010 - 09:29 PM.

#36 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

The fast food in Buffalo and the fast food here in Ontario was a very different experience, and you know, I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment.
Fast food is actually cheap, what with being able to get a full meal for under a dollar and all. Groceries are what is expensive, and the healthier it is the more the prices are jacked. Fast food is not simply a lazy person's meal, but a poor person's meal. I was so surprised how affordable getting tacos for the entire family was. Heck, I'm paying about close to four dollars for just a little poutine at my cafeteria, yet I can buy three tacos for that same price? It fills you up, it keeps your kids from screaming, and as a person who has to cook every single day and plan every single meal, I'm surprised how much you guys shrug that off as if it is a simple matter. Toys from Mcdonald's make little children hell to deal with. They see it on T.V and they want it. Bad. These companies don't just hand out free little toys to fill our childhood fantasies. This is a marketing approach. They target the children, because the parents are overworked, stressed, probably from a lower-income family, and are likelier to be giving in and saying "Well it's just one happy meal" "let them have that toy". There is research behind these toys, don't for one second believe that they are doing this to be nice people. They are specifically targetting the kids, and combined with the inexpensive meals, the convenience, it is no wonder this company is successful.

So, why ban the toys? In an effort to combat obesity, they are removing that marketing ploy. It has good enviromental effects too. What use are little plastic figures once your kid gets bored of them? They can be a choking hazard, be doused in chemicals, all sorts of nasty things that really, your kid can survive without. Going back to the stress involved with cooking, the easier parents have it keeping their child from whining and begging, the more they can probably discipline them and get them to be eating their food. Yeah, it seems like a silly rule, but why such a disagreement with it? Those toys benefit no one. We won't be sorry without them. I agree wholeheartedly that parents should be the ones taking care of their children, but if the government can step in and make that easier, and get rid of an advertising evil, then at least I can say they did something.

Next step? Propaganda for healthy food and home cooking. Set up little free workshops where parents can get together, make food, get ideas what to give to their fussy kids that's healthy and delicious. You may scoff and say "how dumb of the parents not to know" and insult them, but speaking from experience, it's a lot of hard work, and I can only be thankful I have the proper education, resources, and mindset to be able to make concious decisions about what goes on my family's table. Not everyone has the same fortunate background or ability, and not every parent wins against big companies and the clever techniques they use to hook their children onto a product. Please, Happy Meal toys are your childhood? Happy meal toys are just what they gave to keep you happy while stuffing your face with their food, and giving you an incsentive to come back. I have few good things to say about them. Good riddance.

#37 MangaReader

MangaReader

I'm the Greatest Ever!!

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Drawing
    Animating
    Watching TV

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

The government is just trying to ruin children's fantasy in getting toys, besides why take it out on the toys, the parents are the real ones to blame. Than again its always easier to blame fast food then learning that your lifestyle is wrong.

sad_naruto_sig_by_mangafreak17-d81c8fy.p

Even if I'm not the one to make you happy

#38 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:40 AM

I think Broken Figurine summed it up pretty nicely... simply put, while it is the parents fault for letting their children become obese, why just sit back and continue to blame them while you have the power to do something about it? It's absurd, like Broken Figurine and shadow Uzumaki said, there's a correlation. Children have nagging power over parents, the toys promote the nagging power, parents give in eventually just to satisfy their children and the child knows they have control. Because of this, if the government has the power to prevent this, then they should, shouldn't they? While I admit that parents should make most choices for their own child, I think when it comes to stuff like this, if it's for a good cause such as promoting better health, then they should take away the item that promotes the meal. And really, it doesn't hurt anyone by taking it awayu, even if they had no reason for banning it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users