What are you reading right now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#21 Sakura~Kitsune

Sakura~Kitsune

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Location:The Forgotten Borough formerly known as Staten Island!
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Roleplaying, Magical Girls, Anime/Manga, Video Games, Music, Friends/Family, and Food!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:52 PM

Memoirs of a Geisha - by Arthur Golden

What can I say? My second (well...third) time reading this novel and I still can't get over how much I love it. Just the events that take place during the beginning to the end, leave you at the edge of your seat -or bed- until the next chapter or so. You easily fall in love with each and every character but at the same time you can easily depise them. There's so much that goes on page after page that you can even feel as if you're standing along side Chiyo/Sayuri or threatening the 'star' of the story as Hatsumomo (she capitvated me sooo much <3) Just finished watching the movie and I must say there were alot of things that were cut out... but there's really nothing to worry about. What you don't see whilst watching the movie, you can enjoy by sitting down and taking a chance to read this Bestseller. This book, my friends, was one of the many that inspired me to try out reading similar stores such as Madame Sadayakko: The Geisha Who Bewitched the West. Sure, it was basically a biography of Sadayakko-sama... but still. Simply breathtaking.

A MUST-READ for anyone interested happy.gif

tumblr_n9ki6ltPXZ1qai1u2o1_500.gif

No matter how dark it is, you’re not alone you know?

The moonlight is shining on us

#22 Roy_Mustang

Roy_Mustang

the Great Heaven and Earth Master Commander

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:i haven't been on in a long time cuz of some messed up stuff in my life

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

i am reading The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks and no it is not a girl book my gf said i should read it

and To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee which i read in like 7th grade but i loved it soo i wanted to read it again but i lost it but then i found it

#23 Ashley

Ashley

JUST KEEP MOVING FORWARD

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Otakus, Video games, It's a Trap!, Colorguard, Cartoons, Epic Fail Guy, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Ouendan, Vocaloid, drawing, Gainax, shojo, shounen, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, pairings, anime figures(Otaku desires?), movies, Tegaki, South Park, Hikaru Utada, etc.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:44 AM

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The book has no chapters. It's a diary of course. It's okay..... it's also interesting at the point I'm reading onto. Oh gosh there were some moments that made me wonder if my family had ever acted snotty in front of me.
I am still pinky-ash

#24 Tahaji

Tahaji

MoneyPenny

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:58 AM

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein - A MUST for any animal lover

synopsis - Enzo is the dog of an amature auto racer. As he narrates the life of Danny, His owner, his sick wife, and there daughter, he dreams of being reincarnated as a man

Opinion - This story is a tear jerker, and a completely amazing book. The writing is incredible and I feel like Enzo is my own dog XD. This is a MUST if you like philosophical animals.

tahajiXcloud (MY AZN)

#25 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:07 AM

This thread needs ultimate bump of doom!

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

Recommend reading for anybody who likes ancient knowledge, especially from a master of strategy and war. It's a good read, complex and intriguing at the same time.

#26 Shadowmoon~

Shadowmoon~

Procrastination Princess ♥

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:All things FUN! 8D

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

The Joy Luck Club

It's a Chinese book, which caught my eye while I was scanning through the library shelves. tongue.gif

It has a lovely plotline, and I definitely recommend this to those people who like stories that keeps you on the edge of your seat, with a journey of self-discovery along the way. wow.png

I saw that it had been made into a film. I'll watch it soon, after I'm done with my homework.

I hope that it is as good as the book. biggrin.gif

---

39 Clues

You're a member of the most powerful family in the world.

You are sent into a treasure hunt because of what your grandmother has stated in her will.

You also find out you're related to Albert Einstein, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Benjamin Franklin, David Beckham, and more other famous names.

You are hunted by your family relatives, others you've never heard of, because they want something that you have...

You're only allies are your punk babysitter and your 11-year old brother.

And you're in the lead.

Awesome book! biggrin.gif I swear that you'll never get tired of it. a_dance.gif

No more spoilers! sweatdrop.gif

---

*ehem*

Click here...

here...

and here...

fu.png

---

love.gif narusakuct7.gif love.gif

Edited by Shadowmoon-Sakura, 06 August 2009 - 09:31 AM.

#27 Sakura~Kitsune

Sakura~Kitsune

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Location:The Forgotten Borough formerly known as Staten Island!
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Roleplaying, Magical Girls, Anime/Manga, Video Games, Music, Friends/Family, and Food!

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

Guns, Germs & Steel: The Fates of Human Societies - by Jared Diamond

Not exactly something enjoyable to read, seeing as there's basically no story to it. However, Jared Diamond does get in depth look on the birth and destruction of many early societies and exactly how our world had shaped itself today. For a total of 300+ pages, I can see that nothing has been left out when explaining the whereabouts of the first possible organic species to the creation of the first firearm; but things tend to drag on at the same time. The writing style of this proclaimed doctumentary can actually make reading (and getting through) this novel all the better, but it doesn't take long to realize that you're just repeating a full year of Global History. Which is why I'm taking my time with this one, but cannot seeing as I have two more books to read before the eighth of September. All in all, I wouldn't actually recommend this for anyone, unless you were in the mood to look back at prehistoric, neolithic, industrial and modern times... and truly understand the answers to questions such as "Why are some countries underdeveloped compared to others?", and finally see if your theory on that is correct or not.

After this read, I'll be getting through the rest of Jane Eyre and finishing my summer with Swan Song: The Three Daughters of China, both im looking forward to.
tumblr_n9ki6ltPXZ1qai1u2o1_500.gif

No matter how dark it is, you’re not alone you know?

The moonlight is shining on us

#28 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

Novels and Light Novels:

Angels and Demons (Dan Brown): a great novel that definitely catch my attention even at the first read. Saying the movie doesn't do justice to the novel is probably the understatement of the year imo, its just that good.

Kaze no Stigma: a decent novel, nothing majorly different from the manga/anime (Quite a feat for the latter compared to most other light novel to anime ones) though it doesn't show more depth than both of them considering that its the original work and it does explain much of the things that are unexplained in the anime, I'm still looking forward for more update on it smile.gif

Mangas:

Psyren: An interesting manga with decent action and lots of character development, if there's any complain for this manga that I have is that each chapters are too short DX I still envy Ageha's PSI, I mean really... a power that's practically a portable Black Hole? if that doesn't kick ass, I dunno what is.

Code Breaker: a Decent manga with nice mix of action, a bit of comedy and quite a bit of Ecchi-ness once in a while.

Seikon no Qwaser: Pretty much like a mix of Full Metal Alchemist and Code Breaker though I won't really recommend it for youngsters with the amount of... adultery in it. How much? well... its enough to make me wonder if the manga really belong in the ecchi category rather than Hentai.

Gantz: Awesome manga though not recommended for those with weak stomach, there's lots of gore there and I mean LOTS of em, probably enough to rival Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and adultery action that are not suitable for anyone below 18.

Area no Kishi: a Decent sport manga about soccer, I kinda like the main character's attitude.

Cross Game: a manga by a well known mangaka Adachi Mitsuru, if you're familiar with his works you pretty much know what to expect from this manga: Baseball, Comedy and Love Triangle.

Bloody Monday: an interesting manga about a High School student with a hacking skill thats enough to make most hacker jealous which somehow got involved into dangerous terrorist action.

Fairy Tail: A great manga from the mangaka of Rave, a mix of comedy, action and romance. Recommended for those looking for a light read.

Berserk: Great action manga with dark theme, a bit confusing at the start though. The anime simply doesn't do justice to this great series.

Claymore: Same comment as Berserk

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#29 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

Something blue & Airhead (by my favorite auther, Meg Cabot happy.gif)

#30 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:00 AM

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of The Ring

What can I say? J.R.R Tolkien did a damn good job writing this trilogy of books, it made me want to re-read the first book again. My only gripe is that the longest chapter was the Council of Elrond, I swear to god, that chapter felt like it was never gonna end.

Otherwise, it's an excellent literary masterpiece that EVERY person should read.

#31 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:09 AM

I'm reading this sites posts. laugh.gif

#32 Pite

Pite

I'm a cat with glasses and a piece of chalk in my hand!

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Too long to write about.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:30 AM

"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel
"Catch 22" by Joseph Heller

Both for my AP English class. Life of Pi is a good book though I'm still 100pgs before it ends hehe.
The meaning of life is to find your own meaning of life.

#33 Burning_Wulf

Burning_Wulf

Just your friendly, neighborhood zombie hunter.

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Wolves, Anime/Manga, Rx7, NaruSaku, Timeoff work, Sleeping, Comics, Napping, Cats, Resting, Skeet, and Racing plus too much more....

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

Wicked: Witch & Curse

Holly Cathers's world shatters when her parents are killed in a terrible accident. Wrenched from her home in San Francisco, she is sent to Seattle to live with her relatives, Aunt Marie-Claire and her twin cousins, Amanda and Nicole.

In her new home, Holly's sorrow and grief soon give way to bewilderment at the strange incidents goings on around her. Such as how any wish she whispers to her cat seems to come true. Or the way a friend is injured after a freak attack from a vicious falcon. And there's the undeniable, magnetic attraction to a boy Holly barely knows.

Holly, Amanda, and Nicole are about to be launched into a dark legacy of witches, secrets, and alliances, where ancient magics yield dangerous results. The girls will assume their roles in an intergenerational feud beyond their wildest imaginations...and in doing so, will attempt to fulfill their shared destiny.

I'm only on the tenth chapter, but it's good so far.

coco_zps31bec3d3.jpg

#34 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:18 PM

Impossible - Nancy Werlin
I just started it happy.gif

#35 Shadow-kun

Shadow-kun

Sage Wolf

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

World of Warcraft: Arthas - Rise of the Lich King

If you're a fan of Warcraft lore this book is a must read!

Visit my cute Dragons!

Spreading the Horoism!

#36 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:08 PM

Art of War

Two words. MANLY BOOK.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. *FLEX*

#37 Melancholy Vixen

Melancholy Vixen

I had a feeling

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:24 PM

A book called "Wicked" (it's actually two books in one). And ULTIMO.

I love ULTIMO. <3

#38 PeacefulPhoenix

PeacefulPhoenix

THE PANDACAPOLYPSE SHALL BE SWIFT AND FUZZY

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

I'm reading the real story of the Steadfast Tin Soldier, and in a way, I really wish I didn't.

#39 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:37 AM

Currently, a Web Original story called The Salvation War. Kickass story of what happens when Heaven and Hell betray Humanity. Picture Bronze-Age equipped demons being obliterated by 21st Century Human 'Magery' Of course, the details of impacts of bullets, bombs, and the use of Sarin gas is quite frankly...squicky...
First Part is called Armageddon?? and is about the fight between humans and Hell's legions.

Second Part is ongoing, called Pantheocide. It's about the fight between humans and Heaven. Do, however keep in mind, I don't think the author wishes to offend anyone religiously, but is merely writing an intense action story. And man, is it intense!

#40 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

The Killer's Cousin - Nancy Werlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users