• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#21 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Everyone thinks it, but etiquette interferes; lest the writer is construed as misdirected.

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:54 PM

The first fanction I've read, is unforgettably Rakna's 'The One I Love Is' of Evangelion. After that's a blur but a few names come to mind...

And the first Naruto fic I've read? I think it was a terrible NaruHina which had me realise that quite alot of people actually believed NaruHina was canon. However, the first Naruto fic that left with me a positive reaction was Kraken's Ghost's 'Foxhound'.

Here's a quick list of interesting authors from way back when...

#22 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

My first Naruto fanfic was a NaruTema... I think it was called "Betrothal" or something, but it was my first ticket into Naruto fandom. I forgot all about that fic since it's been like a year or more since the last update...

My first fanfic was a norwegian Ranma fic.... it must be at least nine years, and I don't remember much about it, but the grammar sucked and I (as the cheeky little bastard I was) wasn't afraid to tell him/her!

#23 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:35 PM

That's why I only ever write fics in my native tongue. I don't need some punk telling me my Japanese or my French sucks.

#24 Guest_Ceras_*

Guest_Ceras_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:22 AM

Nice thread, pretty interesting biggrin.gif

I think my first fanfic was a Final Fantasy VIII one called Crimson Lies by Ashbear (quite a famous fic now in the FF8 domain).

#25 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:I am the bone of my Anime<br /><br />Marathoning is my body, and coffee is my blood<br /><br />I have watched over a thousand series<br /><br />Unknown to sleep<br /><br />Nor known to society<br /><br />Have withstood migraines to watch many episodes<br /><br />Waiting for the new season's arrival<br /><br />I have no regrets, this is the only path<br /><br />My whole life was Unlimited Anime Works

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:25 AM

Yep, I remember that one. Ashbear is the god of FFVIII fanfiction, she writes such unbelievably good Squinoa fics.

#26 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (Sqleon @ Oct 21 2007, 02:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, I remember that one. Ashbear is the god of FFVIII fanfiction, she writes such unbelievably good Squinoa fics.

I read that one too way back when XD

I just love Squinoa >3

#27 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:I am the bone of my Anime<br /><br />Marathoning is my body, and coffee is my blood<br /><br />I have watched over a thousand series<br /><br />Unknown to sleep<br /><br />Nor known to society<br /><br />Have withstood migraines to watch many episodes<br /><br />Waiting for the new season's arrival<br /><br />I have no regrets, this is the only path<br /><br />My whole life was Unlimited Anime Works

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:41 AM

FFVIII is one of the greatest games ever biggrin.gif That's where I got sqleon from in the first place. I just loved the interaction between Rinoa and Squall, it was so sweet (especially the Ragnarok scene).

#28 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:06 AM

happy.gif Finally, someone else who doesn't find FFVII (grrrr) to be the best FF. It's horrendously overrated!

#29 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

I liked X myself, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

(And honestly, I've never even played VIII, so I can't make a truly fair statement).

#30 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:10 AM

X was good too, but the voice acting wasn't all that great. I would've liked it more without the voices. Yuna's sentences were disjointed and Tidus just sounded annoying. The ending was beautiful though, it was incredible.

#31 TikiTDO

TikiTDO

Σ

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:sleep

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:43 AM

Oh wow, so many classics names here. Ryoko's Love, DnR, Guided by Starlight, Crimson Lies. The nostalgia is practically solid. Here's my selection to add to the nostalgia inducing list. Anyway, my first was Frank Verderosa's insanely popular Search for Aeris back in the closing days of '98.

The way it began I suspect is not too different from many people who started with Final Fantasy. In late 1998 I had just finished Final Fantasy 7 for the first time. I remember watching Red XIII run across the screen to look upon the ruined remains of Midgar, and thinking, "That's it?" I could simply not accept that the story could come to a close with so many unresolved plot holes. This opinion was especially reinforced having played all of the other Final Fantasies up to this point (Yes, all 6 and MQ too). Of course the first thing I did was go online and try to find the super mega secret series of steps to bring Aeris back to life. As you may guess I was sorely disappointed.

Having realized that this truly was the entire extent of the game I became desperate and wanted to know what other people thought of this ending. To be completely honest my first "story" was probably a long essay about why Aeris had to die. the focal point was Cetra culture and history and the role of Jenova in shaping the world. It was not really a fan fiction in the most direct sense of the world, but it did draw on in game knowledge to make some conclusions. On a side note, this was posted in one of the most active Final Fantasy chat boards, the name of which escapes me now, and it was my first exposure to forums.

So of course I was still completely unsatisfied. I accepted that Aeris' death had a purpose but I still wanted to see what would happen if she lived or was brought back, specifically where the unresolved triangle would head. Eventually though some obscure combination of search keywords I came upon a text file titled "Search for Aeris." Expecting another essay on the Cetra I opened up the file and so began my quest to read more fan fiction that anyone could consider healthy. It took me a while to realize this story was completely unrelated to the creators of the game, though the quality was no less than what I had grown used to seeing. Finishing it in a matter of hours I was ready for more.

Thankfully my search would not be a long one. There was an entire site with several sequels for "Search for Aeris" all ready to go. Something close to a month later I had read all of Verderosa's work to date, and had readily devoured what I still consider to be one of the most powerful and moving series, Junj's amazingly tragic "Jenova Project" and "Cloud Cover." From here I found several FF7 archives. This kept me occupied thoughout the next year, though I did expand into Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire. It was some time in this period that I, for the first time in my life, became very active in an online community. It was a Breath of Fire chat board where authors of several of my favourite BoF stories would rub elbows. I still have huge logs of some of the RPs from those days. This period was also my first visit to fanfiction.net. Unfortunately in those days the site had not even been up for an year. Therefore, not only was the content, let us say, lacking it was also generally considered a poorly organized site by the members the more specialized archives.

Finally in 2000 I was introduced to Tenchi Muyo, which was the first Anime series I had ever seen, discounting a few movies I caught on the sci-fi channel at times. Also in this period I began to read FF8 stories, but unfortuantely I never got too interested in those. By 2001 I had read several hundred if not thousand stories in TM and later in the year Ranma. Once I began reading Ranma I completely hooked. From that point on it would be impossible to separate me from my drug of fan fiction, and so it still remains.

As for Naruto, that story is far simpler. I am an avid fan of Full Metal Panic, which of course means I'm an avid fan of dave-d. When he released the first chapter of "Where Eagles Dare" I went ahead and gave it a go. It was good enough that I started reading Naruto. At that point I had watched a few episodes of the Anime and hated it, so had never felt the inclination to read fan fics about it. To be honest I still think Naruto is one of the most poorly written series out there, but meh. As long as it's on my mind I'll stick with it.

Forgive me, this turned into a long story of my fan fiction history, but I blame nostalgia for that.

#32 Guest_Ceras_*

Guest_Ceras_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:01 AM

'Sqleon' date='Oct 21 2007, 01:06 AM' post='137301']
happy.gif Finally, someone else who doesn't find FFVII (grrrr) to be the best FF. It's horrendously overrated!

No kidding. I'm glad I found a couple people here who like VIII just as much as I do a_dance.gif

Main point: I loved Crimson Lies. It was a great read then, and still is now biggrin.gif

#33 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:11 AM

To be honest, I loved and still do love Ashbear's FFVIII fics. They're some of the best I've seen on the site. If you're interested, I think there was this one called "Devil's Playground", which was a really good AU squinoa fic. I recommend that you read it biggrin.gif It's been ages since the last update though...

#34 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (Ceras @ Oct 25 2007, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No kidding. I'm glad I found a couple people here who like VIII just as much as I do a_dance.gif

Main point: I loved Crimson Lies. It was a great read then, and still is now biggrin.gif

Gah, I had accidently deleted my original post about that XD;

FFVIII fanfiction was love to meh back in those days wub.gif

As, well as Tenchi Muyo which I got so obsessed with, that I created my first FFnet account to write stories about RyokoxTenchi, which became quite popular XD

But, that old account was unfortunately deleted, which I still regret to this day, because that account was created way back in 2000, and it would have been nice to still have had that old account active today ^^

#35 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:20 AM

happy.gif I was so obsessed with squinoa right after I completed FFVIII, went hunting for fanfics and found a whole bunch of well written ones. To be honest, Final Fantasy fanfiction seems to be of a higher standard than Naruto's. You don't have to sift through 50 pages of bad stuff to find a good fic there...

#36 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (Sqleon @ Oct 25 2007, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest, Final Fantasy fanfiction seems to be of a higher standard than Naruto's. You don't have to sift through 50 pages of bad stuff to find a good fic there...

That's because most of Naruto's fanfiction fanbase now consists of yaoi Mary Sue/Gary Stu/Self-insertion-cause-I-wanna-have-an-uber-bloodline-and-be-teh-hero!11!! writers who populate the Naruto fanfiction section nowadays =_=

FFVIII fiction writers are generally of the bit older crowd, because you have to have a slightly more mature mentality to be able to finish RPGs XD

#37 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:33 AM

Good point...

That's because most of Naruto's fanfiction fanbase now consists of yaoi Mary Sue/Gary Stu/Self-insertion-cause-I-wanna-have-an-uber-bloodline-and-be-teh-hero!11!! writers who populate the Naruto fanfiction section nowadays =_=

You forgot character bashers (mostly Sakura) and people who write simply to make their favourite characters get together. And don't even get me started on yaoi...

There's probably more SasuNaru than any other two or even three pairings put together, which makes it hard for me to find fics since I'm a guy >.>

#38 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (TikiTDO @ Oct 25 2007, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Naruto, that story is far simpler. I am an avid fan of Full Metal Panic, which of course means I'm an avid fan of dave-d. When he released the first chapter of "Where Eagles Dare" I went ahead and gave it a go. It was good enough that I started reading Naruto. At that point I had watched a few episodes of the Anime and hated it, so had never felt the inclination to read fan fics about it. To be honest I still think Naruto is one of the most poorly written series out there, but meh. As long as it's on my mind I'll stick with it.

Heh, someone else who was introduced to Naruto via FMP via dave-d (Fox Hunt as opposed to Where Eagles Dare). He's a great writer although sometimes his need to explain some concept completely drags on a bit... works well with the "Otaku" world of Sousuke Sagara though.
QUOTE ("Down Goes Brown")
(For the younger readers, "HMV" and "Sam The Record Man" were record stores.)

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#39 SakuNaruLover

SakuNaruLover

Don't fear the darkness

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Gaming, reading manga, watching anime, playing games, reading fanfics, writing fanfics and my own stories, talking with my friends.<br /><br />Manga: <br />-naruto <br />-bleach<br />-clannad<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br /><br />Anime: <br />-naruto<br />-naruto shippuden<br />-bleach <br />-shakugan no shana<br />-shakugan no shana second<br />-clannad<br />-kanon<br />-air<br />-zero no tsukaima<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br />-code geass<br />-code geass r2<br />-gundam wing<br />-gundam 00<br />-melancholy of suzumiya haruhi<br />-hayate no gotoku

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

Final fantasy VIII is like one of the best games ever. Squall x Rinoa is like one of the best pairings ever. They are so cute together tongue.gif And I love some of the fics involving them as well. Crimson lies was a very good one indeed.
I am neither good nor evil, I am awake yet I dream

#40 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (SakuNaruLover @ Oct 27 2007, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Final fantasy VIII is like one of the best games ever. Squall x Rinoa is like one of the best pairings ever. They are so cute together tongue.gif

I heart joo ;_;

I agree! laugh.gif

I love reading fanfiction involving them...in fact...all of this FF VIII makes me want to go read some right now...*does so* >D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users